PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Head - help needed

sparkie
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Guys I have finally had a chance to have a look at my Mk 1 diesel (it was overheating and hard to start) and I have a cracked head. Is it repairable, is it worth repairing? Are new ones still available? what else is likely to need attention?

Or do I find a 1.9 litre Turbo and slot that in? Anyone got one? Is there a good parts place in South East Queensland?

Any advice would be great

brackie
07-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Hi Guys I have finally had a chance to have a look at my Mk 1 diesel (it was overheating and hard to start) and I have a cracked head. Is it repairable, is it worth repairing?

It depends where the crack is. Commonly water jacket cracks are difficult or impossible to get at and the head is a throw-away-job. Cracks between the valve seats are normal and wouldn't cause your problem.

Are new ones still available?

Yes they are but I wouldn't know where to find one in your area. Heads often come up on US and UK ebay but freight would be expensive.

what else is likely to need attention?

If you've got to replace the head with a new one, nothing. If it's used then do the valve guides and seats. Check for warpage but be very careful about facing it as there isn't much meat. Get the correct thickness gasket. With the head off I would get the cylibders properly honed with a cross hatch (bust the glaze) and fit new bearings and rings.

Or do I find a 1.9 litre Turbo and slot that in? Anyone got one? Is there a good parts place in South East Queensland?

Hen's teeth. Talk to a German engine importer (Loon???) and be aware that even though the engine will bolt up it isn't a straight swap. Best to talk to someone that's done it.

Any advice would be great