PDA

View Full Version : Best Wheel Cleaner?

XXX-1.8T
10-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I got issues with my wheels i cant clean the brake dust off the dish on my rims :(

I am currently using P21S wheel cleaner but its still not strong enough to get it off.

The outer rim of my wheel is a high polished metal and the centre is painted.

Someone has recommended that i use Kerosene on a towel thoughts?

Here's a pic of my rim:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/albums/album60/brakes.jpg

jasn78
10-04-2009, 09:28 PM
are u using the wheel cleaner or gel? as i am using the gel and find it works pretty well

Golf Houso
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I remember Bennough telling me that after trying a few wheel cleaners that the armorall was the best apparently.

I myself use kerosene, haha... They come up great though!

XXX-1.8T
10-04-2009, 10:24 PM
are u using the wheel cleaner or gel? as i am using the gel and find it works pretty well
I am using this wheel cleaner which is a high quality wheel cleaner as its acid free etc:

http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_wc1.html

unfortunately my brake dust is at another level or it is beacuse i drive hard etc

rayray086
11-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Baked on brake dust is extremely hard to remove... short of wet-sanding the area and polishing it up again, I haven't come across any other method.

One thing I haven't tried is using Goof Off (found at Bunnings in the cleaning section). I swear by that product to remove any gunk/crap I can't remove using "regular" washing methods. I've used it to remove any bird **** residue that I couldn't wash/rub off using car shampoo, and also used it to remove the adhesive left on the car after debadging. Never tried baked on brake dust though.

RhysQ
11-04-2009, 12:56 AM
i've heard a few times that loosely scrunched up alfoil (yes, the sh*t you use in the oven) dipped in warm soapy water is the best thing for cleaning chrome wheels as it gets off the gunk quite well and does not scratch them at all :eek:. people swear by it!!

rayray086
11-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Ahhh makes sense, seeing as aluminium is softer than the alloys used in car wheels..