PDA

View Full Version : Roof Racks for Golf MK6

Mr T.
10-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi all,
do the dealer fitted Roof Racks from Golf5 fit the new 6?
Thanks in advance!

Rocket
11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Not sure Mr T, but if you have racks from the Jetta lying around, I would try those!

tdi guy
11-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Perhaps. VW were trumpeting that the only common body panel between the MV5 amd MK6 is the roof...

TG

tdi guy
14-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Thule specify the same part numbers for both the MK5 http://www.thule.com.au/vehicleguide_detail.php?car_brand_id=6393&car_model_id=151948 and MK6 http://www.thule.com.au/vehicleguide_detail.php?car_brand_id=6393&car_model_id=151950

So perhaps they are the same.

TG

Mr T.
21-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks Guys, they are not the same, fitted my Jetta on our new Golf 6 and they were loose... so they are for sale now! Bought new ones!

Mclovin
13-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Does anyone have any idea where i can get some roof racks for the new golf? and price.
Cheers

Rocket
14-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi Does anyone have any idea where i can get some roof racks for the new golf? and price.
Cheers

Gday Mclovin, wlecome to the forums :driver:

Seek out Mr T., he bought some recently. See here and maybe ask in this thread http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=28026

Have a look through and try the search function, your question may have already been asked!

Mclovin
14-05-2009, 09:05 PM
:duh: Cheers for that rocket.:cool46:

acheater
22-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I was thinking of getting the Roof bars on my R, but I dont want them on all the time. I dont think it complements the R at all, but they would have a practical use. Does anyone know if they do and how easly come off?

Corey_R
22-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Hey mate,

I've merged your thread into the existing one I can find, because although it's light on info, it's for the MK6 and the Golf R is no different in this respect.

I think you'll need to expand on what you mean by "roof bars". There is no roof bars standard, or as a factory option.
I assume that there are Volkswagen Accessories, and maybe even different dealers have roof bar accessories which are not the official VAG ones. There are also obviously numerous aftermarket companies, such as the ones mentioned above.

sho
22-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I was thinking of getting the Roof bars on my R, but I dont want them on all the time. I dont think it complements the R at all, but they would have a practical use. Does anyone know if they do and how easly come off?

i have the volkswagen ones for my R and its about a 5min job to remove them :)

acheater
22-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey mate,

I've merged your thread into the existing one I can find, because although it's light on info, it's for the MK6 and the Golf R is no different in this respect.

I think you'll need to expand on what you mean by "roof bars". There is no roof bars standard, or as a factory option.
I assume that there are Volkswagen Accessories, and maybe even different dealers have roof bar accessories which are not the official VAG ones. There are also obviously numerous aftermarket companies, such as the ones mentioned above.

Hey. I was looking at the ones on the VW website Golf Accessories < Accessories < Volkswagen Shop < Volkswagen Australia (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/sales/accessories/golf_accessories.html#/tab=fef69e51ec3562008d7d788473beedfa)

Corey_R
22-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Then yes. They are removable.
They look very similar to the Thule system (if not identical and VW badged). So you may wish to compare prices between your dealer and a Thule dealer.

Mariani
22-05-2011, 10:36 PM
i can confirm the VW Roof Racks are definitely a Thule System with a VW badge. Dealer confirmed this with me.

ozgti
22-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I think I can get them through work, I just need to find the paperwork from my set. Prorack Whispbars.. Quiet as and striong enough to deform my roof when someone tried to nick them! $#@$%!!!

dave_r
23-05-2011, 03:34 PM

By the looks of them, appears they clamp to the roof/door frame opening given there is no dedicated track on the roof? Assume they haven't done any damage to the paintwork etc? I was contemplating getting some to mount bikes but I think I'll just fit racks or a towbar to the Polo instead hehe

crazyray
23-05-2011, 03:36 PM
however the factory Golf ones do look ugly compare to the Thule or Prorack ones....

Corey_R
23-05-2011, 04:21 PM
By the looks of them, appears they clamp to the roof/door frame opening given there is no dedicated track on the roof? Assume they haven't done any damage to the paintwork etc? I was contemplating getting some to mount bikes but I think I'll just fit racks or a towbar to the Polo instead hehe

I've owned the Thule "aero bar" roof rack system for about a decade. I original bought it for a 3 door Toyota Echo, and I was then able to use it on my Polo GTI simply by changing the "feet" used for a cost of about $50 (the Thule system is modular, so as long as the width of the car don't change too much, you'd never need to replace the entire thing).

Both cars used a "clamp" in the front door jam, and then "support bars" from the front bar to the rear bar, and there rear bar just "sat" on the roof above the rear window (being both the Echo and Polo GTI are 3 door). The fact the rear bar of the racks kinda just sat there seemed weird at first, but it proved fine for supporting my push bikes and in the many trips I did between Sydney and Brisbane with them on the roof.

The clamp used a type of "rubberised" paint with rounded edges and all that. So if the car was cleaned before you put on the roof racks and two people lifted them carefully into place, it wouldn't leave any marks. After them being used multiple times on the one car for ~8 years, it hadn't noticably leaved any more marks than the washing of the car for those years had.

ozgti
23-05-2011, 05:02 PM

I used the Proracks to carry my bikes and modified the bike carrier to fit. But when they tried to nick my bikes, they pushed up on the rack buckling the turret. Not happy Jan!

dave_r
24-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Good to know Corey, you gonna update the feet for the R?

ozgti, that sucks but I'd only be using them to transport between home/beach house in reality so won't be parked with them anywhere.

Corey_R
24-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I haven't been riding recently due an injury. But I might do so. I'll probably have to update the bars though given the difference in size between the previous Polo and the Golf... but I haven't looked into it yet due to having no need to transport my bike.

Pepe
25-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I've got Rola RMX's for my Golf R, best looking ones of all (they're all black). They work with Thule bike carriers and surfboard carriers too.

RolaŠ (http://www.rola.com.au/rmx/)

acheater
27-05-2011, 06:39 PM

Sweet. Thanks for that mate. Got them added to my order. But geez $550 for some bars. LOL.