PDA

View Full Version : mk6 dealer negotiations

Pages : [1] 2

Rufus
06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Went down to the local dealer today to get a rough idea on pricing. Am currently looking at the black comfortline 118tsi manual with:

Pearl effect paint
body kit
sunroof
18" Topas alloys
Fog lights
Rear chrome strip
mats
boot liner
some other small extras

Without any negotiation i have been quoted $45,996 drive away. Have not asked for a discount!!! With all these extras how much room have I got to negotiate? 2 - 3k perhaps!?

How much has everyone else been saving on their mk6 in this current economic climate??????? If you could list your models, extras and drive away prices that would be great! Any good deals going on in melbourne at the moment???

Thanks!:biggrin:

STV4SYT
06-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Thats MK5 GTI Pirelli territory right there, it already has all those extras.... and then some... if you are prepared to forego having the newest model. Pirelli will defo hold value better too.

You dont get anything (much) back on resale for extras bought at purchase.

Realisticallly though if you are set on a Mk6 you can get a lot better than that i reckon. even though its a new model, there is no better time to buy a new car. personally id not be handing over any more than $40k for anything thats not the top of the line model.

Golf Houso
07-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Jesus Christ thats alot! isn't the car 31k rrp? Where did that extra 14k materialise from :eek:

Wouldn't around 38k be a more realistic price for the car?

dvschem
07-04-2009, 07:48 AM
G'day

I just bought a Mk VI Golf on Saturday from Austral VW at Newstead in Brisbane. It was for my wife so it is only a 90TSI Trendline. Candy White. Only accessories were mats front and back and rubber boot tray.

Drive away RRP was $30,574. I got him down to $26,178 drive away.

Based on the car and options / accessories you are looking at, I would be hitting the dealer up for way more than $3,000 discount.

I got nearly 15% off pretty easily so I think they have a bit of play at the moment - why not try the same...that's around $6,750 off as a first offer.

tdi guy
07-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I got nearly 15% off pretty easily so I think they have a bit of play at the moment - why not try the same...that's around $6,750 off as a first offer.

Remember, new car sales are down over 20% in February/March, so dealers and VWA would be keen for sales...

TG

Rufus
07-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Steve - Well im not really looking for performance as such so the Pirelli is out of the equation. I think the 118TSI will have enough zip for what I need. I basically just want a new good looking golf with a nice interior that has good fuel efficiency.

Golf Houso - These options easily add up with Volkwagen. 118TSI manual is $35k drive away. Add onto that sunroof 1900, fog lights 400, 18" w/ tyres $3000, body kit 3,700 and other small extras and it soon hits $45k.

dvschem - Nice deal you got there. I didn't think room for bargaining in 2009 on new models was that great:duh:

TSI guy - thanks for that info. I'll have to look into those stats and see how much I can really push these dealers.

I'm now starting to think I should be able to definately get it driveaway for under 40k with all these extras. BIG THANKS guys!!!!! You've just saved me a few grand with your words of wisdom!

Please keep listing any deals that people have been getting on the mk6

Cheers:biggrin:

STV4SYT
07-04-2009, 11:21 AM
OK, fair enough, there is a thread on here that in the mkv section on what people paid for their cars, discounts etc.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12137

Have a look thru there to get an idea of how to get your price down

Personally i couldnt justify $15k in extras on a $30k car that might get me back $2-3 on resale.

Have you looked at the TDI if you are after economy? the new 103 CR engine is fantastic.

If you are stuck on that spec then call round all the dealers that you can and let them fight over it til u get something reasonable.

saveferris
07-04-2009, 11:33 AM
These options easily add up with Volkwagen. 118TSI manual is $35k drive away. Add onto that sunroof 1900, fog lights 400, 18" w/ tyres $3000, body kit 3,700 and other small extras and it soon hits $45k.

I'm now starting to think I should be able to definately get it driveaway for under 40k with all these extras. BIG THANKS guys!!!!! You've just saved me a few grand with your words of wisdom!

Please keep listing any deals that people have been getting on the mk6

Cheers:biggrin:

You'll be waiting a while for your machine, maybe 2 to 3 months, so far i have been waiting a month for my Golf 118TSI, Sports pack, metalic paint and car mats..$ 33,500.

I know when all the stuff is factory fitted they can give you a major discount, Dealer fitted i think they only have room of only 10% discount, I tried pushing the dealer for Blue tooth, and the dealer wouldn't budge.

This is how I would see your extras.

Factory fitted - Electric sunroof , fog lights, Pearl effect paint.

Dealer fitted - Rear chrome strip, mats, boot liner, body kit, 18" Topas alloys, you'd almost be paying full price for these.

VW Convert
07-04-2009, 11:53 AM

If you are stuck on that spec then call round all the dealers that you can and let them fight over it til u get something reasonable.

Agree with that, nothing works better than knowing exactly what spec you want and price you are prepared to pay, making the offer and walking away if they say no. Let them chase you for the business.

Cheers

George

STV4SYT
07-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Dealer fitted - Rear chrome strip, mats, boot liner, body kit, 18" Topas alloys, you'd almost be paying full price for these.

Mats should be included in the dealer delivery price, if not thats usually one of the first things to ask to be "thrown in" as they retail for $150 but cost $20 so its not a biggy.

Another good "throwin" is tinted windows, costs the dealer a minimal amount to do.

Lima
07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
No less than 10% discount I reckon.

Good luck! :driver:

Rufus
07-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks Steve! I'll definately be asking for them to throw in tinted windows and rubber floor mats.

I don't think any of my extras will require factory fitting as they already have models on the floor with sunroof and fog lamps. The rest of my extras can be pretty much fitted at the ddealership. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I know I will get my car quicker but will it allow me to bargain more as they will want to get it off the floor???????

Thanks for all your input guys! Keep it coming:)

STV4SYT
07-04-2009, 03:47 PM
If you can get a model on the floor close to your spec then take it...

As far as asking for the tints and mats, that is the very last thing, wait untiil they have dropped the price as much as you think you can then start asking for them.

Best policy is to be prepared to walk out the door.

Or if you arent comfortable with it, there are brokers out there that will do all the legwork for you and get the best price and then charge you like $500 or something (which is usually a lot less than they save you)

Also worth investigating if you can get corporate discounts, if you work for a company of a reasonalbe size (200+ i think) and you are "eligible" for a company car, or can get a letter from the company saying you are then its worth investigating

Greg Roles
07-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd have to say, things like alloys etc will be WAY cheaper to do after purchase if it comes down to it. Plenty of wheels come up all the time just on e-bay, let alone the wheeling dealing on here. $3000 buys you a LOT of wheel aftermarket as an example. Of course if you want to finance the lot, then haggle my friend!

Things that are an easy fit, I'd consider holding off. Things like the sunroof, well, factory is the way to go. Remember floor stock is stock they have comitted to, and nothing eats a hole in a pocket like an expensive item sitting idle in your showroom. Investigate the floor stock in your area, and beyond. Transporting a car isn't that big a deal.

VW accessories at time of purchase are ludicrously dear, yet the aftermarket scene is a LOT cheaper. Also, for me, it's prolonging the fun!

gregozedobe
07-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Steve! I'll definately be asking for them to throw in tinted windows and rubber floor mats.

IIRC a lot of people prefer to have their windows tinted at a place they select. Some dealers get the cheapest possible place to do "their" window tinting, and there can be subsequent problems with door trims and rattles. A search may throw up a few relevant threads.

Keep shopping around until the dealers start telling you to buy from someone else, then you know you are getting close to the best possible price ;)

Zed!
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
45k seems a hell of a lot to pay. You'll never get anything close to that when you go to resell it.

Rufus
09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
45k is not what im paying. 45k is the total cost of drive away with all those extras, WITHOUT any bargaining what so ever! Just wanted to see what everything costs as they dont list prices unless you ask them

Vwally
13-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I have had my car home for 3 weeks. started negoitiations on 28 Feb, ordered early March.

Price with all onroads and delivery included , $34,770 driveaway.

Golf MY09, 118TSI Comfortline
7 speed DSG
Metallic paint

with the highly recommended $2000 Sport package -

(Alloy wheels (Seattle) 17 x 7”
Dark tinted rear side windows and rear window,
Front fog lights with static cornering light function,
Front sports seats with sports cloth trim
Low tyre pressure indicator
Sports suspension )

and best of all floormats!

Got a good trade in on tired 6 year old car.

Tried a few Victorian dealers, two agreed.

Hope this info helps someone.

mr gee
13-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I have had my car home for 3 weeks. started negoitiations on 28 Feb, ordered early March.

Golf MY09, 118TSI Comfortline
7 speed DSG
Metallic paint

with the highly recommended $2000 Sport package -

(Alloy wheels (Seattle) 17 x 7”
Dark tinted rear side windows and rear window,
Front fog lights with static cornering light function,
Front sports seats with sports cloth trim
Low tyre pressure indicator
Sports suspension )

and best of all floormats!

Got a good trade in on tired 6 year old car.

Tried a few Victorian dealers, two agreed.

Hope this info helps someone.

Thats a Damn good price

Supreme
13-04-2009, 06:49 PM
I was offered a price of $37,400 today at Nepean for a 118TSI.

Comfortline 118TSI Manual
Metallic Paint - United Grey
Sports Package
Dynaudio 300W Audio Package
Media Device Interface

Said he could also chuck in some floor mats and small extras.

Does anyone think I could get under $35,000 for a car like this? It will take 3-4 months to come from Germany. :P

HFTDI
22-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Went down to the local dealer today to get a rough idea on pricing. Am currently looking at the black comfortline 118tsi manual with:

Pearl effect paint
body kit
sunroof
18" Topas alloys
Fog lights
Rear chrome strip
mats
boot liner
some other small extras

Without any negotiation i have been quoted $45,996 drive away. Have not asked for a discount!!! With all these extras how much room have I got to negotiate? 2 - 3k perhaps!?

How much has everyone else been saving on their mk6 in this current economic climate??????? If you could list your models, extras and drive away prices that would be great! Any good deals going on in melbourne at the moment???

Thanks!:biggrin:
Just bought a Golf 6 103TDI Sports Pack with DGS in Reflex Silver, Tint, RCD510 Stereo, Front & Rear VW Moulded Rubber Floor Mats and VW Moulded Rubber Boot Mat @ 38.8K drive away in Brisbane. The discount was 3.8K. Don't get ripped on dealer delivery either at 2.995k, I paid $995.00 which is a lot better but still not that cheap.

Grogster
22-04-2009, 11:26 PM
G'day all,

First post and a newbie to VW...

Walked into a VIC dealer today and got quoted $33.8k driveaway for a 118 TSI DSG w/ metallic paint, floor mats, tinting.

Is that a fair deal or I can push harder? Looking at what VWally's got for the deal - I could perhaps go $1k lower?

Anyone had better luck?

Rocket
23-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Hey Vwally, which dealer did you buy form, I have a friend who is buying. PM me sales reps name and details if you like.

twotribez
25-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Purchased mine last Saturday day and delivery is this week.

I think I should have got a better price but was happy with the service so decided to sign.

09 Built 118TSI $35775 Driveaway with Corp Discount
Candy White
DSG
Sports Pack
Bluetooth
Media In
Tints
Rubber Boot Tray
Boot Net
Carpet Mats
Full tank of Petrol
Additional 1 year warranty (from the dealer though not VW)

I believe I could have paid $34500 but I am not the best of hagglers.

freebo
26-04-2009, 09:54 PM

I think I should have got a better price but was happy with the service so decided to sign.

Candy White
DSG
Sports Pack
Bluetooth
Media In
Tints
Rubber Boot Tray
Boot Net
Carpet Mats
Full tank of Petrol

Thats a good price I'm looking at

09 Built 118TSI $49,500 Driveaway with corp deal but think it's too high and a deal can be done.. what do others think ?

Black
DSG
sun roof
Sports Pack
Bluetooth
Media In
Tints
Stat Nav
Park Assist ( I do not want it but it's on the cars they have )
Alarm
Carpet Mats
Full tank of Petrol

twotribez
27-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey Freebo,

That is too high, don't over capitalise on a 33k car. You will lose a lot in the end.

Even with Sat Nav and Sunroof and park assist, you shouldn;t be paying more then 42 to 43k driveaway.

haggle more, I think sales are slow and honestly, i haven;t even seen one on the road as yet....

I initially wanted sat nav and sunroof and the park assist as well but thought hmmm, I will only keep the car about 3 to 4 years and the resale value of a car with your options and my options may not differ as much.

I guess if you plan to keep it forever, the extra comforts may be worth the money.

freebo
27-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey Freebo,

That is too high, don't over capitalise on a 33k car. You will lose a lot in the end.

Even with Sat Nav and Sunroof and park assist, you shouldn;t be paying more then 42 to 43k driveaway.

haggle more, I think sales are slow and honestly, i haven;t even seen one on the road as yet....

I initially wanted sat nav and sunroof and the park assist as well but thought hmmm, I will only keep the car about 3 to 4 years and the resale value of a car with your options and my options may not differ as much.

I guess if you plan to keep it forever, the extra comforts may be worth the money.

Hi twotribez, Yes it's a lot of money and you are right I do not want to capitalise on the car as I want to be able to sell it for the right price..

I really like the feel of the sunroom, sports pack and sat nav but this is all the other things are not needed....

Have you found a deal yet ? thanks for your reply buddy

twotribez
27-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey Freebo, no worries.

Yeah I purchased from VW Camberwell in Melbourne last Saturday. Delivery is tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait as I have been without a car for a good 5 weeks now.

Yeah I find a lot of people like sunroof. Its nice to have but I usually try not to buy second hand cars with them on as I had a bad experience with leaking sunroofs. So now I am used to not having one.

Have you test driven one yet?

freebo
27-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey Freebo, no worries.

Yeah I purchased from VW Camberwell in Melbourne last Saturday. Delivery is tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait as I have been without a car for a good 5 weeks now.

Yeah I find a lot of people like sunroof. Its nice to have but I usually try not to buy second hand cars with them on as I had a bad experience with leaking sunroofs. So now I am used to not having one.

Have you test driven one yet?

Hey twotribez, yep we drive the manual and dsg models yesterday in petrol and diesel we where sold on the diesel before but now love the 118tsi.. I understand what you mean by the sunroof... just not sure on what to do about the price as it's so much...

You are lucky Delivery tomorrow what colour and specs did you get ?

twotribez
27-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I got the following

Candy White
DSG
Sports Pack
Bluetooth
Media In
Tints
Rubber Boot Tray
Boot Net
Carpet Mats
Full tank of Petrol

I was thinking about the diesel as well. Then I thought for the petrol comsumption is pretty good too and the missus won't have to worry about pumping dirty diesel.

But the torque on diesel is super addictive. In the end stayed with good old petrol haha

Ozram
27-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Freebo,

You should definitely get it lower than that. I would agree with twotribez it is too much for a 33k car. Does your spec include leather? I had the chance on similar spec, minus bluetooth, and they went down to 46k or so drive away but I couldn't justify paying extra for options I didn't really need in the end. So I've joined the great queue for 4 months or so, I hope it goes quickly.

STV4SYT
27-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Freebo,

You should definitely get it lower than that. I would agree with twotribez it is too much for a 33k car. Does your spec include leather? I had the chance on similar spec, minus bluetooth, and they went down to 46k or so drive away but I couldn't justify paying extra for options I didn't really need in the end. So I've joined the great queue for 4 months or so, I hope it goes quickly.

I know i've said it before but if you are up for spending mid $40k then get a run out Pirelli GTI, awesome value with most of the extras that cost $$$$ on a comfortline included in the price.......

And will return a lot more at resale even though it is the "old" model.

Im so tempted to do the change myself from my MY08 GT TDI. If i can get rid of it for a reasonable amount ill go do some talking....

freebo
28-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Freebo,

hey Ozram,

thanks for your post... what did you end up getting in the end... yes this has black leather which i do like.. but again you are right it's up @ the 48k mark... a lot of money....

freebo
28-04-2009, 06:59 AM
I know i've said it before but if you are up for spending mid $40k then get a run out Pirelli GTI, awesome value with most of the extras that cost $$$$ on a comfortline included in the price.......

And will return a lot more at resale even though it is the "old" model.

Im so tempted to do the change myself from my MY08 GT TDI. If i can get rid of it for a reasonable amount ill go do some talking....

hey steve_tdi...

thanks buddy... Deancorp also said this and I'm looking into this car now... do you think they will hold there value as much with the new GTI out in the UK and coming here soon ?

How do you find your TDI now ? Would you consider the new petrol engine in the golf ? or the gold plus ? I also hear the GTI coming out has a new engine do u know much about it and would you stay tdi or go petrol ?....

thanks buddy...

STV4SYT
28-04-2009, 09:16 AM
hey steve_tdi...

thanks buddy... Deancorp also said this and I'm looking into this car now... do you think they will hold there value as much with the new GTI out in the UK and coming here soon ?

How do you find your TDI now ? Would you consider the new petrol engine in the golf ? or the gold plus ? I also hear the GTI coming out has a new engine do u know much about it and would you stay tdi or go petrol ?....

thanks buddy...

I love my TDI, but to be honest, ive had it now since Jan 08, and its just covered 15,000km, as i had a change in job where i dont need to use the car as much as i anticipated. The benefits of TDI come in when you do 25k per year. I bought the car with the intention of changing it at a year old anyway, but have held onto it. To be honest, i have a mate that works at VW who is keeping an eye out for me for a decent deal on a Pirelli and also there are only but a handful of new GT TDI left, so once they have gone i stand a better chance of selling mine.

I personaly reckon that the differences betweeen MKV and MKVI are not large enough to dramatically impact the second hand prices, espescially the Pirelli, which will devaule the regualr MKV GTI. MKIV's didnt take a great hit when the V came out.

At the end of the day, if i can change over for a few grand i will, if not i still have an awesome car that i can drive for another 5 years.

Greg Roles
28-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Having worked in car sales eons ago, come trade in time it all came down to the base car. Have a play at redbook.com, where you can access the "public" side of trade in's. Dealers have a LOT more info available to them, such as conditions, km's and options. Options add very, very little overall for a trade. A fully optioned up base Golf would never come close to a "specific" model, such as a Pirelli. Just look back at any of the "cars", where no matter how much you spec up an XR8 or SS commie, they rarely trade close to a true FPV or HSV, all other things being equal.

If you want a stock car with the best resale, and plan low km's well the current car will be the go. Turn it over before MK7 arrives. If you enjoy driving your car, and / or may go down the mod route, you'd be MAD to pass up a Pirelli for the money.

Just think how R32 prices are going to hold, now that it's end of the line? Pirelli is a limited run too.

freebo
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Candy White
DSG
Sports Pack
Bluetooth
Media In
Tints
Rubber Boot Tray
Boot Net
Carpet Mats
Full tank of Petrol

hey twotribez is this before or after GST ?

thanks

twotribez
01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
hey twotribez is this before or after GST ?

thanks

All inclusive of GST :)

wicko
04-05-2009, 12:04 PM
hi all I was car shopping on the weekend and went to 3 different dealers and the best price I could find is

Golf 09 build 103TDI Sports Pack with DSG, white with Bluetooth, media in and floor mats on road was $43k in nsw.. this seems like a lot compared to others ?

twotribez
04-05-2009, 12:24 PM
hi all I was car shopping on the weekend and went to 3 different dealers and the best price I could find is

Golf 09 build 103TDI Sports Pack with DSG, white with Bluetooth, media in and floor mats on road was $43k in nsw.. this seems like a lot compared to others ?

Should only be $2500 more than what I paid as thats the premium for the diesel. It sounds more like retail price you got there buddy.

wicko
04-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Should only be $2500 more than what I paid as thats the premium for the diesel. It sounds more like retail price you got there buddy.

hi twotribez which dealer did you go to as I could not get a better price and I was going to sign on the day.

:driver:

Ozram
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Wicko,

Thats too much mate. You should take the full retail price and then add about 4k for onroads. I would think you should be able to get at least the onroad costs taken off plus a bit more. Look at around 10% off retail I reckon. You said 43k in NSW yet you are in Melbourne? If you want a deal in NSW talk to Wally at Paul Wakelings in Campbelltown. Good bloke. If you have a trade in it may help with your haggling on a better changeover price.

PM me if you want Wally's details.

twotribez
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Wicko,

Exactly what Ozram said. I am in Melbourne though and the dealer I dealt with was Damon Gauntlett. He is from Camberwell Volkswagen.

Should get at least 10% off. I would not be paying more than 38k for the vehicle you described.

Dubya
04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I personaly reckon that the differences betweeen MKV and MKVI are not large enough to dramatically impact the second hand prices ...

Would you not consider that the greater power and better fuel economy (plus extra airbag) of the Mark VI Comfortline significant in terms of non-GTI Mark V resale values?

The efficiency of the 118TSI certainly makes it that much harder to cost justify a diesel on running costs alone and the 118TSI's performance is close to that of the original TSI, which has gotta hurt their resale values.

... espescially the Pirelli, which will devaule the regualr MKV GTI. MKIV's didnt take a great hit when the V came out.

Wouldn't the more expensive Pirelli version help underpin Mark V GTI resale values? I can understand how a cheaper version of the GTI could hurt values, but a premium version? It doesn't really add up. It's gotta be neutral or positive, as a more costly GTI in the car sales pages has gotta make other GTIs more appealing.

The good news for Mark V GTI owners is that the Mark VI GTI offers only a relatively modest power gain and few other changes and so should not have the sort of impact on resale values the 118TSI might be expected to have on most other Mark V variants.

On balance, I'd expect Mark V GTIs to hold up better than any other model in the Mark V Golf range (without suggesting how the R32 might travel). But that's just my opinion.

tdi guy
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
The efficiency of the 118TSI certainly makes it that much harder to cost justify a diesel on running costs alone and the 118TSI's performance is close to that of the original TSI, which has gotta hurt their resale values.

The good news for Mark V GTI owners is that the Mark VI GTI offers only a relatively modest power gain and few other changes and so should not have the sort of impact on resale values the 118TSI might be expected to have on most other Mark V variants.

On balance, I'd expect Mark V GTIs to hold up better than any other model in the Mark V Golf range (without suggesting how the R32 might travel). But that's just my opinion.

Wishful thinking, mate. IMO the electronic LSD is enough reason to devalue the MKV GTI... and the MKVI TSI doesn't look a patch on the MKV GT Sport (in my biased opinion).

TG

Dubya
04-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Wishful thinking, mate. IMO the electronic LSD is enough reason to devalue the MKV GTI...

I'm just trying to be logical rather than wishful...

If a Pirelli came with all of those extras for the same price as a regular GTI I would agree wholeheartedly, but a Pirelli costs thousands ($5k?) more, doesn't it? In which case a $45k Pirelli can hardly devalue a $40k GTI. For buyers who don't seek the additional performance features and fancy trim, it would probably make the GTI look even better value and so support its resale value. For mine, I'd choose a $40k GTI over a $45k Pirelli so for me and others like me the Pirelli makes the GTI even better value.

The Pirelli certainly won't affect GTI values the way the Pacific (which included thousands in extras (including ESP) over the Comfortline at no extra cost) will affect the value of Sportlines and Comfortlines.

... and the MKVI TSI doesn't look a patch on the MKV GT Sport (in my biased opinion).

The 118TSI may not look as good, but it is the later series, has seven airbags and on paper it is pretty darn close to the GT TSI which retailed for $5k more. That's $5k for an extra 7kw...

wicko
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Wicko,

Thats too much mate. You should take the full retail price and then add about 4k for onroads. I would think you should be able to get at least the onroad costs taken off plus a bit more. Look at around 10% off retail I reckon. You said 43k in NSW yet you are in Melbourne? If you want a deal in NSW talk to Wally at Paul Wakelings in Campbelltown. Good bloke. If you have a trade in it may help with your haggling on a better changeover price.

PM me if you want Wally's details.

Yeah thats what I thought but with no dealers giving me a better price I'm not sure who will see me a car cheaper. I will call Campbelltown and ask them.

I think the TDI is great value and will save money with the km's is get compared to the TSI from what I have read on the forums..

I have worked out doing 30,000km a year TDI is much better and will pay for it self in the first year @ current petrol prices..

=:)

gregozedobe
04-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I have worked out doing 30,000km a year TDI is much better and will pay for it self in the first year @ current petrol prices..

Current diesel prices are unusually low compared with petrol - over the last 12 years diesel has consistently been more expensive then diesel, often by more than 5%.

wicko
05-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Current diesel prices are unusually low compared with petrol - over the last 12 years diesel has consistently been more expensive then diesel, often by more than 5%.

oh I see, so would the tsi be a better engine to get over diesel ? I read so many people have TDI on this forum.

thank you

tdi guy
05-05-2009, 08:05 AM
If buying a MK6 I would get the TDI with DSG, sportspack and ACC - IMO for most people as good as a GTI (I'd need to change my login to "tdi guy"...)

TG

twotribez
05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
oh I see, so would the tsi be a better engine to get over diesel ? I read so many people have TDI on this forum.

thank you

Depends if you feel the same way or not as Jeremy Clarkson about diesel.

If the kms you are driving justifies the extra cost of diesel then go for it. For me, I almost purchased a BMW 320d as the diesel engine was amazing. First time I drove a diesel and the torque on it was brilliant.

But after driving the 118TSI, I thought jeez this is a damn good engine. It is very torquey as well and with the DSG gear box it was a no brainer, plus its super quiet, inaudible at traffic lights. Plus the fact that I don't drive anywhere near to 20000km a year, the extra cost for me was just not worth it.

tdi guy
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
If a Pirelli came with all of those extras for the same price as a regular GTI I would agree wholeheartedly, but a Pirelli costs thousands ($5k?) more, doesn't it? In which case a $45k Pirelli can hardly devalue a $40k GTI. For buyers who don't seek the additional performance features and fancy trim, it would probably make the GTI look even better value and so support its resale value. For mine, I'd choose a $40k GTI over a $45k Pirelli so for me and others like me the Pirelli makes the GTI even better value.

Ah the Pirelli is a different question... I agree the MKVI GTI won't affect the resale value of the Pirelli, its the regular MKV GTI I was referring to.

TG

gregozedobe
05-05-2009, 10:01 AM

Lots of different opinions on this ;) Here are mine :

If you do a lot of Kms per year then the fuel economy of the TDI makes it cheaper to own over several years. If you are really looking at saving $$$ then you need to look at the total "cost of ownership", including depreciation, insurance, servicing, consumables such as tyres, brake pads and discs etc etc. Also most petrol VWs run better on 98 octane petrol, which is much dearer than std ULP.

If you are considering buying a new VW then you aren't looking at low budget cars anyway. If I was buying a small/medium hatch back mainly on the whole of life cost basis I'd look seriously at a Honda Jazz, and maybe a few other asian cars.

Some repairs on VWs can be both too common and too expensive (eg aircon, turbos on TDIs), so many people either turn over their cars before the warranty runs out or buy the VW extended warranty.

My usual advice is to take each contender for a decent test drive (preferably on the same roads), and buy the one you like best. Everyone has different preferences and priorities, so what is best for me may be totally unsuitable for you.

If you are looking at driving a TDI in lots of heavy traffic make sure you try a DSG version as well as a manual, and research DPF regeneration too.

The more info you have the better the decision you can make.

Dubya
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
If buying a MK6 I would get the TDI with DSG, sportspack and ACC - IMO for most people as good as a GTI (I would have to change my login to TDI guy)

Why the change of heart, tsi guy?

After all, in the Mark VI range the price differential between the 103TDI and petrol equivalent (118TSI) has increased to $2,700 and the performance and economy of the petrol equivalent have increased whereas the diesel's performance (0-100km/h), though now aided by common rail injection, is unchanged.

So I can see how the 118TSI (8.0 sec 0-100km/h) could be a potential substitute for the GTI (7.2 sec (man)), but a 103TDI (9.3 sec)?

On paper, the 118TSI is even quicker than the Mark V 125TDI to 100km/h.

In terms of fuel savings, assuming the diesel would use 1.5 litres less per 100km (the specs suggest a saving of only 1l/100km), at $1.50 per litre it would take 120,000km to recoup the price difference. Add in the cost of money and it would be over 180,000km (which it would be anyway using VW's fuel consumption figures). And that does not take into account depreciation on the extra $2,700.

Of course price is not the only consideration, but, as the TSI is quicker on paper (ie unloaded and on the flat) than every Golf diesel variant, it seems a more worthy GTI substitute than the TDI.

Would a Mark V TSI driver really be willing to pay nearly $3k over the cost of a the new TSI to drive the TDI?

The better questions perhaps are:

Do you need the diesel's extra (33%) torque and is it worth the extra dosh? and

What is your annual mileage?

Dubya
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Ah the Pirelli is a different question... I agree the MKVI GTI won't affect the resale value of the Pirelli, its the regular MKV GTI I was referring to.TG

I too was referring to the Mark V GTI.

I based my comments about Mk V GTI values on the premise that introducing a variant such as the Pirelli at a 15% premium to a regular GTI is not prone to devalue the second hand values of Mk V GTIs.

Could the Pirelli hurt Mk V R32 values? Conceivably: the Pirelli narrows the performance and price gap between the two.

Granted, if VGA did a 'Pacific' and threw in factory extras on run-out GTIs then I could see a problem. But not when the extras, as in the case of the Pirelli, are priced at $6k extra.

As for the Mk VI GTI's effect on Mk V GTI resale values, as I said, I think this will be less than for other series changes as the changes between the Mk V and VI GTIs are relatively modest.

tdi guy
05-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Why the change of heart, tsi guy?

I agree with all your comments (couldnt have put them better myself - just wait for the 'oiler' backlash :biggrin:).

However, I bought the GT Sport because it was a family car with sporty overtones (a poor-man's GTI, but 5k cheaper and with a better ride). The 118TSI is clearly a good car, but not the same...

This time around, I would likely buy the MKVI GTI (with the optional ACC to improve the ride), but if the extra 7k (including ACC) was a problem then I'd be tempted to switch to the TDI (which apparently is the better combo with the DSG, especially in D where the DSG preference of changing up and down between 2000 and 3000rpm so perfectly matches the useful rev range of the TDI). It would be a tough choice, though, as I don't do enough km to recoup the TDI price differential, and the TSI is such a sweet thing...

Happily, I don't have to make that choice (very happy with the TSI GT :)).

T(si)G (for the foreseeable future)

tdi guy
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
As for the Mk VI GTI's effect on Mk V GTI resale values, as I said, I think this will be less than for other series changes as the changes between the Mk V and VI GTIs are relatively modest.

I agree. The MKV GTI was apparently a MUCH better/sportier car than the MK4...

TG

Dubya
05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Happily, I don't have to make that choice (very happy with the TSI GT).:)

That's all good, but, as you would know, there's a 30% investment allowance (typically for companies) which, for those who can take advantage of it, could make upgrading prior to 30 June 2009 attractive and the numbers quite interesting.:bluesbro:

That's an immediate deduction of ~$10k on a TSI.:biggrin:

Tempted?:driver:

twotribez
05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
hahaha get a TSI, its GOOOOOODDDD. waiting for a few more hundred kms on the clock before I try the car out in S instead of D

Ozram
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Dubya,

You've worked out the price differntial between diesel & petrol on the Mk6 pretty much the same as I had. I'll be doing about 25,00km a year and would not get anywhere near break even point when it comes time to trade to the next new one.

I'm an oiler (nice one TSI:) ), have been for 30 years. I've driven the Mk5 TDI with DSG and it is a fabulous vehicle. I have been driving the 1.9 PD Caddy for nearly three years and that is pretty awesome too.

Guess what? I am buying the 118TSI with DSG! Primarily for the difference in cost on the engines, but also cos I just know that the missus is gonna fill it up with ULP:duh:

I also know how many thousands of dollars that complete common rail systems cost when you put contaminated/ bio / poor lubricity diesel in them.

The choice is a no brainer IMHO.

tdi guy
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
That's all good, but, as you would know, there's a 30% investment allowance (typically for companies) which, for those who can take advantage of it, could make upgrading prior to 30 June 2009 attractive and the numbers quite interesting.:bluesbro:

That's an immediate deduction of ~$10k on a TSI.:biggrin:

Tempted?:driver:

Yes, but as an employee the question is whether our car leasing company will pass on the 30% 'windfall' (I've asked the question - my current lease expires in 3 weeks, so it is a relevant consideration, as the current value of my one y/o TSI is probably approximately the same as 70% of a 118TSI/DSG/Sport/ACC - no response yet, I'll update the post).

UPDATE - the leasing company does not appear to be passing on the 30% (apparently because their underwriter isn't passing it on to them...). So, for employees, unless your employer will buy the car, and pass on the benefit of the 30%, the effective 'discount' will be available only to owner/operator small business people (which is fair enough, happy to help small business, but unfortunately no good for me...)

TG

tdi guy
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I just know that the missus is gonna fill it up with ULP:duh:

Are the fuel hose nozzles for diesel and ULP the same size? I know you couldn't put leaded super into a unleaded car as the 'super' nozzle was too wide (deliberate govt policy).

T(si)G

STV4SYT
05-05-2009, 06:06 PM
In terms of fuel savings, assuming the diesel would use 1.5 litres less per 100km (the specs suggest a saving of only 1l/100km), at $1.50 per litre it would take 120,000km to recoup the price difference.

$1.50 a litre???? at the moment im paying anywhere between $1.11 and $118 in melbourne for Diesel from regular servo's, which, i am pretty sure is cheaper than regualr ULP on most days of the week never mind the premium of PULP....

Ozram
05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Are the fuel hose nozzles for diesel and ULP the same size? I know you couldn't put leaded super into a unleaded car as the 'super' nozzle was too wide (deliberate govt policy).

T(si)G

Depends if you are using low or high flow pumps. But yes, they can be the same size. And it happens more than you would think.

wicko
05-05-2009, 07:37 PM
well i bought the tdi today i was going the tsi but after doing my sums and driving both cars I decided to have a change.

i get confused reading so many post on what to get but it's done now and if I want petrol i will have to wait till the next car.

i got black golf 6 tdi, sunroof,sportspack with leather and ACC. I hope I like this car as it's my first VW and diesel.

maca
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Depends if you are using low or high flow pumps. But yes, they can be the same size. And it happens more than you would think.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it'll fit.. Can be rather messy. :duh:

Ozram
05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
well i bought the tdi today i was going the tsi but after doing my sums and driving both cars I decided to have a change.

i get confused reading so many post on what to get but it's done now and if I want petrol i will have to wait till the next car.

i got black golf 6 tdi, sunroof,sportspack with leather and ACC. I hope I like this car as it's my first VW and diesel.

Congrats Wicko. When do you pick it up? Which dealer did you end up getting from? I'm sure you'll love it mate.

wicko
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Congrats Wicko. When do you pick it up? Which dealer did you end up getting from? I'm sure you'll love it mate.

thank you I just hope TDI right choice as TSI is very nice too but I never own Diesel and I want to to get good km's as i travel a lot.. I got it in Sydney dealer and pickup in 1 week.

Dubya
05-05-2009, 09:05 PM
$1.50 a litre???? at the moment im paying anywhere between $1.11 and $118 in melbourne for Diesel from regular servo's, which, i am pretty sure is cheaper than regualr ULP on most days of the week never mind the premium of PULP....

When looking a few years into the future, one must make assumptions, and given recent fuel prices and their fluctuations, particularly for diesel, it seemed reasonable (and simpler) to assume $1.50 for both.

However, using the lower of your two figures for diesel ($1.11), $1.29 for PULP and VW's fuel consumption figures of 7.7 & 6.8l/100km for the TSI & TDI respectively, the break-even point would be at 113,208km. A payback of well over 5 years at 20,000km pa (but over 10 years for me!).

By this time the TSI would have consumed $11,245, and the TDI $8,545, in fuel, based on the above assumptions. And the TSI over 1,000 more litres of fuel (equivalent to about 20 more refills at the servo).

If the cost of each fuel is the same, the payback period decreases as fuel costs rise, which was another reason I assumed a higher, rather than a lower, fuel price (not wanting to make an already long payback period look worse).

For example, at $2 per litre the break-even point is at 150,000 (7.5 years) but at $1 it is 300,000 (15 years).

The other issue is the accuracy of VW's fuel consumption data. I suspect that in reality diesels get closer than petrol Golfs to the manufacturer's figures and this too would reduce the payback period (and so favour the diesel). The difference is probably less pronounced with the TSI than the T/FSI.

For example, if VW's urban consumption figures are understated by 10% for the diesel and by 20% for the petrol, the break-even is 67,004km or a payback of 3.35 years.

It is for this reason that threads on fuel consumption (such as those in the Mark V forum) could be quite illuminating and help put the lie to figures such as the ~8l/100km VW indicates for the GTI.

tdi guy
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM

I love my TSI but the TDI is also very good. You will love it. Congrats.

TG

wicko
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I love my TSI but the TDI is also very good. You will love it. Congrats.

TG

thanks tsi guy... I'm looking forward to it... something different anyway.. I have read a few reviews and they are all saying just shy of 1000km on a tank country driving so would be happy if I got 900km.... been a petrol person for so long it's funny to change...

Stoney!
06-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi all, very interesting reading through here. I'm looking at leasing my car through a company called McMillian shakespere. They say they baragin on the car and its options but just wondering how hard they really bargain as some of you guys have got some fantastic deals here.... anyone leased a car before.... doesn't have to be the same company, and can comment?

Stoney!

twotribez
06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Congrats Wicko, hope you ended up getting a good deal on one.

wicko
06-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Congrats Wicko, hope you ended up getting a good deal on one.

thanks twotribez, deal was ok i shopped around but seems the VW do not move to much.. but i'm happy with what I got and I hope the TDI will serve me well...

tdi guy
06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi all, very interesting reading through here. I'm looking at leasing my car through a company called McMillian shakespere. They say they baragin on the car and its options but just wondering how hard they really bargain as some of you guys have got some fantastic deals here.... anyone leased a car before.... doesn't have to be the same company, and can comment?

Stoney!

The quote our leasing company got from their preferred dealer (Barloworld) was the same as the normal corporate fleet discount I got from two local dealers. Obviously VW Australia give the dealers some latitude on pricing, and you would imagine in a recession they would be keen to get stock moving out the doors.

TG

five8
06-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi, I'm just about to buy the new MkVI 118TSI and was thinking back to the very first car I bought from a dealer (Mitsubishi). After 3 hours of standing firm on the price I set before going in to the dealership and sitting in front of the Sales Manager and saying no to every offer he had, I got a new car for the price of a demo ($4k discount) along with the normal 10% off. All they did was take the car around the block, total of 30km on the ODO and sold it off to me as a demo car.

Not too sure if I can pull that off again with VW as this will be the first VW I will own. But some news report last night advised that car sales were down 20% and would have been even more if it wasn't for the 30% Govt Invest Incentive. So go hard on the Sales Managers and don't accept a "No" from a salesperson who isn't authorized to say "YES"

I'll let you guys know the outcome in 3 weeks.

Golfing
06-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm just about to buy a new 118 TSI DSG in silver
Can anyone tell me what I should be paying for the driveway price on this car? I've seen some of the posts say I should be aiming for 15% off?

That would make the car close to $30K, surely that's not right... is it?? Please let me know, if anyone can tell me somewhere selling them for this price I would be keen to buy!!!

Thanks!!!

twotribez
07-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Can anyone tell me what I should be paying for the driveway price on this car? I've seen some of the posts say I should be aiming for 15% off?

That would make the car close to $30K, surely that's not right... is it?? Please let me know, if anyone can tell me somewhere selling them for this price I would be keen to buy!!!

Thanks!!!

You have to add on on road costs first which will be around 3k or more then maybe minus the 15% off that. That should give you an indicative figure

tdi guy
07-05-2009, 09:10 AM

Thanks!!!

I asked on Tuesday about a 118TSI/White/DSG/Sports/ACC and was quoted around $37000 drive away (after corporate discount) which is vitrually the same as I paid last May for my similarly-spec'd (other than ACC) GT Sport. He didn't seem interested in further reductions, so perhaps not all dealers are feeling competitive pressure.

As an aside, he noted that the Tiguan models were selling particularly well.

TG

Dubya
07-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I asked on Tuesday about a 118TSI/White/DSG/Sports/ACC and was quoted around $37000 drive away (after corporate discount) which is vitrually the same as I paid last May for my similarly-spec'd (other than ACC) GT Sport. He didn't seem interested in further reductions, so perhaps not all dealers are feeling competitive pressure.

As an aside, he noted that the Tiguan models were selling particularly well.

TG

TG, whilst it is probably too soon to be getting screaming deals on Mk VI Golfs, for mine, that price would need to be at least $500 lower and include a roof, and perhaps metallic paint too.

It's at least $2,500 off the mark for a discerning corporate buyer such as yourself.

tdi guy
07-05-2009, 12:15 PM
It's at least $2,500 off the mark for a discerning corporate buyer such as yourself.

... though it would be a done deal if the leasing company passed on the 30% investment allowance!

TG

Dubya
07-05-2009, 02:34 PM
G'day

I just bought a Mk VI Golf on Saturday from Austral VW at Newstead in Brisbane. It was for my wife so it is only a 90TSI Trendline. Candy White. Only accessories were mats front and back and rubber boot tray.

Drive away RRP was $30,574. I got him down to $26,178 drive away.

Based on the car and options / accessories you are looking at, I would be hitting the dealer up for way more than $3,000 discount.

You did well getting over $4k off a $30k car. At the same rate our friend should be getting $6k off. I don't know if factory options have more dealer margin than the car itself, but I imagine dealer fitted options and accessories would, so provide more room for the dealer to move.

Golfing
10-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Went to the dealer in Brisbane over weekend, no luck on the 15% off. The dealer actually quoted me more on the price of 118 TSI DSG after I spoke in person last time with fleet discount. Wouldn't go below $34,945 whereas the fleet was $33,500. Waste of a Saturday!! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Will not be going to see that dealer again!...

Ozram
11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Got the build week on mine tonight. Week 25 (17th June)

6 or seven weeks after that to ship and prep at the dealer. So by mid August I should have it:)

I ordered last week in March so about 15 weeks all up.

Might even get some use out of the heated seats too, as it'll still be winter...ish;-)

Karmann
23-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Final price on our 118tsi $32 060 drive away

metallic paint (Amaryllis Red)
media interface
park assist

I thought it was an ok price...

multi97
23-05-2009, 05:50 PM
MK6 103TDI
DSG
SUNROOF
MATS
$37900 d/a in Victoria.
Private, not Corporate purchase.

Golfing
23-05-2009, 06:19 PM
New MK6
DSG
Silver paint

$33000 drive away.

Golfing
23-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry...MK6 118TSI DSG
Silver paint
$33000 on road

lanif
23-05-2009, 10:51 PM
MK6 118 TSI Man Corp Discount
Pearl Black
Sport pack
Mats
Tint
$33220 drive away

Rufus
25-05-2009, 06:15 PM
from all the prices I've seen, 10-12% discount on drive away seems to be about right. Any more than that and i reckon you're getting a pretty good deal. I'm in the middle of negotiations at the moment, will keep you guys updated.

jamj
25-05-2009, 09:34 PM
MK6 118tsi
Metallic Paint
DSG
Matts & Boot liner
Full tank of fuel

Corporate discount $32500 on road - signed today, very happy.

gead
27-05-2009, 08:52 AM
mk6 118 tsi
candy white
sports pack (cloth)
tint

34K driveaway

Jayse
27-05-2009, 12:31 PM
mk6 118 tsi
candy white
sports pack (cloth)
tint

34K driveaway

Gead,
Are you rallying the stormtroopers for an assualt?!?!

Cheers,

Jayse.

NewDub
27-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Not a forum expert so hope this ends up in the right place!

Looking at buying my first ever VW!

Working on the following:
118TSI
DSG
Metallic
Sport Pack
Leather
ACC
Tint
Mats

Would 40k drive away seem a good deal for this? Or could I do better?

Rufus
27-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm sick of dealers not wanting to give me a friggin price!!!! Unless you sit down with them and bring a whole suitcase full of cash they simply don't seem to be prepared to even mention numbers... I'm sick of this car and i haven't even bought the damn thing yet

SLA14h
27-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Long time reader first time poster yada yada.
Just got my hands on a 118 tsi manual metalic paint mats etc
drive away $31200.
Im just about to go out for a drive :)

Oh yeah and a full tank of fuel...

gead
27-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Gead,
Are you rallying the stormtroopers for an assualt?!?!

Cheers,

Jayse.

nope, its for my dad...:biggrin: the old man gets the golf, and i get the passat...its all topsy turvey

88mm
28-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi everyone. Short time reader on this forum, first time poster. Great buying info to everyone who has contributed.

[QUOTE=Rufus;331848]I'm sick of dealers not wanting to give me a friggin price!!!! Unless you sit down with them and bring a whole suitcase full of cash they simply don't seem to be prepared to even mention numbers... I'm sick of this car and i haven't even bought the damn thing yet[/QUOT

I feel for you Rufus. I am in the same boat. I just can't seem to get anywhere near the discount you guys are getting, especially when I mention that I have an ABN number.

The Victorian dealers assume that K Rudd's 50% tax depreciation for small business is discount enought. I'm a small business, and must admit that the tax depreciation has a big influence on my decision to buy a new car, but my profit is not that BIG.

$1K- 1.5K discount off the loaded car seems the best I can do without a trade-in.

Any suggests on how to get a better price? Should I delay my purchase untill after 30 June? Do I even need to mention I have an ABN until negotiations are done?

Please post your thoughts.

PS. Was any of your Drive Away price acheived by trading in your car. If so, can you repost with out the trade in value factored in.

Thank you in advance

SLA14h
28-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I did not use a trade in that is just drive away price.
Itold the dealer the figure i would be happy with and i got it.
Good luck 88mm

Ozram
28-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Not a forum expert so hope this ends up in the right place!

Looking at buying my first ever VW!

Working on the following:
118TSI
DSG
Metallic
Sport Pack
Leather
ACC
Tint
Mats

Would 40k drive away seem a good deal for this? Or could I do better?

Hey Newdub, welcome.

I got a similar spec to yours minus the ACC and tint but with the sat nav and paid $41400. So your deal seems ok to me. When are you expecting delivery?

NewDub
28-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Ozram... still working on the deal at the moment, so no delivery date yet...

Stoney!
29-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Hey all, I've decided not to lease the car now but to go finance instead.

So I'm looking at the following

Golf 118tsi - $30,490
Sports pack - $2000
Sunroof - $1900
Pearl black thingy colour - $700
Leather Trim - $3300
RNS 510 + Dynaudio - $4000

Total Comes to $42,390, plus around 4k on road brings me too around the 46k mark.

Now going on the 10% that everyone has been saying will bring to around teh $42k mar, do you think this would be a fair price, or do you think with all the overpriced options I'm piling on I could possibly talk them down even further....

This is the first new car I have ever brought and don't really feel like being laughed of the showroom floor when I throw a figure at them.

Thanks for ur help.....
Stoney!

lanif
29-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Stoney,

For your options, you can try to ask between $38-$40 drive away. $42 seem too much for me...

Lan

Swallowtail
29-05-2009, 11:09 AM
You'll be doing exceptionally well if you get it for 38 to 40...

Your call too, but I'd question the value of adding 40% worth of options... from a resale point of view you'd be far better off with a higher spec'ed model to start with, with less extras...

Karmann
29-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Rufus have you tried going through a broker?

I got a couple of brokers to see what they could do for me, then rang around a few dealers to see what they could do for me.

In the end, the broker with the best price got the business, but the customer service has been non existent.

I was supposed to take delivery today, but hadn't even been invoiced!

STV4SYT
29-05-2009, 05:02 PM
You'll be doing exceptionally well if you get it for 38 to 40...

Your call too, but I'd question the value of adding 40% worth of options... from a resale point of view you'd be far better off with a higher spec'ed model to start with, with less extras...

I agree, options do nothing for resale value. $12k in fancy bits is a lot of money for very little return on resale. That is GTI Mk5 Pirelli money.....

Supreme
31-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Signed on the line today, very happy.

Hopefully Chatswood can get it for me, there's only one in the country apparently:
118 TSI Manual
- Candy White
- Sports Pack

$33,000 driveaway.

Very happy.

multi97
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey all, I've decided not to lease the car now but to go finance instead.

So I'm looking at the following

Golf 118tsi - $30,490
Sports pack - $2000
Sunroof - $1900
Pearl black thingy colour - $700
Leather Trim - $3300
RNS 510 + Dynaudio - $4000

Total Comes to $42,390, plus around 4k on road brings me too around the 46k mark.

Now going on the 10% that everyone has been saying will bring to around teh $42k mar, do you think this would be a fair price, or do you think with all the overpriced options I'm piling on I could possibly talk them down even further....

This is the first new car I have ever brought and don't really feel like being laughed of the showroom floor when I throw a figure at them.

Thanks for ur help.....
Stoney!

wtf? You might as well just wait for the new GTI then... probably ends up being the same price with all those options included.

sporran
03-06-2009, 04:36 PM
In my experience you never get the value in resale when adding adding options to base models, and are better off going for a model further up the tree that already has those options fitted as standard. In your case, for the money you are talking I would go for the current GTI which is part of VWA's sale promotion removing drive away costs.

STV4SYT
03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
46k would get you a GTI Pirelli.....

Ozram
03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
To buy an older, higher model like a GTI or Pirelli makes perfect business sense.

In my case however, I really prefer the MK6 over the Mk5 and the new GTI is not here yet. This will be my fourth new car and the very first that I will have added options to. I have always gone for a mid range model with no extras.

Feeling like a big kid in a candy store, at my age, is fantastic. So what if my MK6 with sports, leather & sat nav will not get me as much as a GTI trade in.

My own opinion, not meant to offend you understand.

Sometimes life's for living & to hell with the cost.

franjae
03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I think you'll be lucky getting 10% off a new model. There's a lot of low figures being thrown around, I'm wondering how many actually bought at those prices. If you did, please do us a favour and let us know.

SLA14h
03-06-2009, 08:02 PM
You can get more than 10% off new model, I did it.

franjae
03-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Great, maybe be more specific like what year compliance, what options, etc. and if a trade in was involved. Why not mention the price too?

Thanks!

SLA14h
03-06-2009, 09:45 PM
My details are already on this thread. No trade in.

Stoney!
04-06-2009, 03:18 AM
I wish people would stop with all the GTI Pirelli banging on, going on in this forum.... Obviously I have chosen the 118tsi because that's the car I want. Who says I care that much about resale, and that I really am going to sell it in the next few years, all I was asking for was a price, and if what i was aiming for would be a fair call.

I do not want a GTI Pirelli, and for that matter I don't even want a GTI, I have never liked their styling. Not to mention both these vehicle available at the time i want to purchase (now) are mk 5 and I want nothing to do with the troublesome, ugly and ill fitted mk 5.

Oh and to whoever said I should just wait for the GTI for that price with all that included.... since when has the gti come out standard with sun roof, or leather, or sat nav, and OMG even dynaudio.

Stoney!

Yevvy
04-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Jeez dude, relax. They are just giving you options. You asked a question and they are giving their opinion on it - thats what the forum is for. And stating that the mk5 is troublesome, ugly and ill fitted thats just an opinion. If you want a 118TSI, then be it. 42k for all these options is a good deal. VW dealers are tight arses when it comes no negotiating the price (i know that from trying to get a deal on the pacific tdi at the end of last year). Said that, you should still try to knock 1-2k from it. Good luck

Yevgen

NewDub
11-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Just done the deal on follwoing spec:

SharkBlue
118 TSI
Sport Pack
ACC
Leather
Tints
Mats
Full tank of Premium Unleaded

40250... drive away..

Hoping I have done alright??? Always get nervous at this point....

Been told be 2 weeks till delivery!!!

Rocket
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Hoping I have done alright???

Always better to ask before you sign, not after...

Manual/DSG?

NewDub
11-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Haha.... too true! There's always the cooling off period!!

DSG...

ox518
11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I am looking forward to buy a golf mk6 in the very near future.

What I am after:

118 TSI DSG in White
Sports Pack
Tint
Floor Mats

Possible to get under $35000? I know it is no way to get such lower price in the ACT, I will try Sydney then.

thanks gents

poyta
17-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Has anyone actually bought a 90TSI? Pretty much everyone here is looking at either the 118TSI or the diesel. I wanted to get a 90TSI for my mother in law because a) she's on a tight budget and b) she wouldn't use or need any of the extra's in the 118TSI.

Anyone got a driveaway price they've managed to get for 90TSi with metallic paint as the only option?

Stoney!
17-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Signed on the dotted line today...

United grey 118tsi Manual,
* Matts
* Sill plates
* RNS 510
* Media interface
* sun roof
* Sports pack with leather
* Reverse camera
*Paint/fabric/leather protection.

$43,696 drive away.

Very impressed with the service up at bill buckle Volkswagen at brookvale and recommend them to anyone.

THanks for the help from the guys on this forum and sorry if I got a little agitated earlier, but I knew what I wanted, was just in a bit of a panic as I have never done this before.

Thanks again.

Stoney!

Stoney!
18-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorry, forgot that a 3 year extended warranty was included also.

Stoney!

kevin118
21-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I went to a Sydney City dealer who claims that the dealer delivery charge for a Golf6 was 2.5K. I know I was told it was 2K by Brookvale in April.

Does anyone know if this has gone up to 2.5K universally - perhaps at the same time the dealers have to quote on-road prices?

While it WILL be negotiated away, by adding another $500, the implication as hinted to me yesterday was they were doing me a really really big favour by waiving it. It smacks of raising the price to then discount it.

GolfAtom
22-06-2009, 07:15 AM
The 2.5k is not a universal figure but i wouldn't be surprised if there is collusion amongst them. When I bought my missus' car it was 2k.

Cheers,
Alan

Mclovin
22-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I went to a Sydney City dealer who claims that the dealer delivery charge for a Golf6 was 2.5K. I know I was told it was 2K by Brookvale in April.

Does anyone know if this has gone up to 2.5K universally - perhaps at the same time the dealers have to quote on-road prices?

While it WILL be negotiated away, by adding another $500, the implication as hinted to me yesterday was they were doing me a really really big favour by waiving it. It smacks of raising the price to then discount it.

The delivery charge for my new golf6 was $900.

kevin118
22-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm considering:

118 DSG
Met paint
Leather
Mats

37,250 drive away

which I think is probably ok in the scheme of things

vwnewbie
23-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Just bought a 118tsi driveaway $30700. metallic paint, floor mats and petrol. I feel I got a good price can anyone else agree?

Originally signed for a trendline 90tsi with the option of the comfort pack. Was having doubts about the decision. When i rang the dealer I was told that I will have to wait between 2 - 3 months for it (at this point I had not mentioned my doubts) I then asked if there were any 118's available and was offered one from the show room floor. I took it and drove away less than one week later. Love the car glad i walked away from the mazda dealer I was in a week earlier.

Also can anyone tell me why in the owners manual there are so may features that the Australian cars dont have? ie digital radio station presets, draws under the front seats, adaptive cruise control...the list goes on. Thanks

windyzz
24-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Just bought a 118tsi driveaway $30700. metallic paint, floor mats and petrol. I feel I got a good price can anyone else agree?

Originally signed for a trendline 90tsi with the option of the comfort pack. Was having doubts about the decision. When i rang the dealer I was told that I will have to wait between 2 - 3 months for it (at this point I had not mentioned my doubts) I then asked if there were any 118's available and was offered one from the show room floor. I took it and drove away less than one week later. Love the car glad i walked away from the mazda dealer I was in a week earlier.

Also can anyone tell me why in the owners manual there are so may features that the Australian cars dont have? ie digital radio station presets, draws under the front seats, adaptive cruise control...the list goes on. Thanks

Congratz On the purchased, I think it is a very good deal considering on the popularity of the car.

You'll never regret walking away from Mazda dealer, The new 3 will never be comparable to the new Golf. journalist once said:
'Stepping out from the Mazda to the new golf is like moving from Seat 47F(economy class) in boeing 747 to seat 3F (business class/first class)' And mazda 3 sp25 lost in term of acceleration 80-120 in most gear.

Congratz you have made the best decision on your life :)

GolfAtom
24-06-2009, 06:57 AM

Car manufacturers add or deduct certain features so that the car fits into the particular price category they want that car to be sold in.

ox518
26-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Bought mine today from Sydney.
118 TSI White
DSG
Sports package
ACC
Tints
Floor mats

$35300 with corp discount. Very happy!

beachvw
26-06-2009, 11:54 PM
hi guys :), just got quote today on a mk6 diesel dsg
metalic paint 700
sports pack leather 5000
sat nav 3000
acc1500
reverse camera 500
dealer del' 995
reg 680
stamp duty 1150

total 47785 on road

im in melb and wonder if i can get a better price.

also does anyone think acc is worth having?

Rufus
27-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Finally bought mine today!

Reflex Silver 118TSI Manual
Front fog lights
Sunroof
boot liner
full Votex Sports body kit
Rubber Floor mats

$36,900 which is about a 12% discount with corp discount

beachvw
27-06-2009, 02:59 PM
sounds like a good deal Rufus & fantastic choice & plenty of happy days motoring now for you, so much better than the plastic jap crap :) can you tell me if it was 12% of retail or 12% of corporate price? dealer told myself i need 5 cars on fleet to get corporate rate discount i"m also unsure how they can valadate how many cars are on my fleet? or if they just go on what you tell them.

Rufus
27-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Actually im not sure if it comes under coporate discount to be honest. Im a member of the Electrical Trades Union (ETU) so i just need to present my membership to them and i get a certain percentage discount. Although i'm not exactly sure how much this discount equated to, 6 to 8% I think. Every dealer told me something different so who knows? I still had to bargain my ass offf to get 12% off though. Best of luck

beachvw
28-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks Rufus :), i have HIA membership i wonder if that will provide for a further discount? also would you recomemend youre dealer? i find it consuming dealing it out with these dealers so far.

Rufus
28-06-2009, 08:41 AM
To be honest i did not enjoy the whole buying a car experience. Too much deception and stress to it all.
Yes I can definately recommend my dealer! He was the only one who didn't feed me bull**** the whole time. He was on the level and upfront and this was the reason I kept returning to him after I had spoken to several other dealerships. His name is Dale from the Ferntreegully dealership on burwood highway. I'll send you his contact details if you like?

beachvw
28-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Have to agree with you Rufus on the whole negotiation process would apreaciate if you email me the details & i will call on them tommorow monday.Just really cant afford to pay thousands over the odds on truely a great car.Who knows they even might get more buisiness if they do the right thing.

bobg
29-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Guys, I'm new here and I am thinking about getting a MK6 GTI ( as I mentioned in my first post in the newbie section).

Anyway, I had an idea, not sure if its a good one or not but do you think if a bunch of us potential buyers went into a dealership together and were willing to all buy that day we could negotiate a better price? Kinda like a rather expensive group buy?

g6tsi
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Hello All!

Just got myself a 118TSI in melb:
- DSG
- black metallic paint
- black leather seats
- floor mats
for $35,700 driveaway with corp discount (ACS member).

Pretty happy with the deal!

rider007
06-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Hello All!

Just got myself a 118TSI in melb:
- DSG
- black metallic paint
- black leather seats
- floor mats
for $35,700 driveaway with corp discount (ACS member).

Pretty happy with the deal!

What is ACS ?. Do all dealers give corp discount like this ?, if so how much ?.

g6tsi
06-07-2009, 06:03 PM
ACS is Australian Computer Society (for those IT people out there).

You will need to haggle to get a good corp discount as well but you'll save at least 1k more with the corp discount. Dealers won't give you the best price right away, you need to work your price down. Mine started at 37k and I got it down to 35,700! RRP was 41,776 so that's about 14.5% off!

chylld
06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
been watching this thread for a while as i'm thinking of getting a 118tsi.

tabulated everyone's options with the pricing info that I have (from VW chatswood, nsw) and this is how we've been faring.

Format: user, price paid, rrp(onroad), saving%, dealer

With corporate discount:
jamj $32,500.00 $37,361.70 13.0%
twotribez $35,775.00 $41,020.26 12.8% VIC.Camberwell
g6tsi $35,700.00 $40,760.70 12.4% (VIC)
ox518 $35,300.00 $39,730.70 11.2% (NSW)
Rufus $36,900.00 $40,966.70 9.9% VIC.Ferntreegully
lanif $33,220.00 $36,846.70 9.8% (NSW)

WithOUT corporate discount:
Karmann $32,060.00 $36,592.29 12.4%
Vwally $34,770.00 $39,421.70 11.8% (VIC)
vwnewbie $30,700.00 $34,786.70 11.7% (WA)
Golfing $33,000.00 $37,361.70 11.7%
SLA14h $31,200.00 $34,786.70 10.3% (NSW)
Ozram $41,400.00 $45,601.70 9.2% (NSW)
saveferris $33,500.00 $36,846.70 9.1%
Supreme $33,000.00 $36,125.70 8.7% (NSW)
NewDub $40,250.00 $43,541.70 7.6%
gead $34,000.00 $36,125.70 5.9% (VIC)
Stoney! $43,696.00 $45,862.29 4.7% NSW.Bill Buckle

edit: this is for the 118tsi only

edit 2: freebo/wicko/twotribez: what was the retail price for the bluetooth? (I guesstimated 500)

edit 3: split corporate discount and no corporate discount

ox518
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
been watching this thread for a while as i'm thinking of getting a 118tsi.

tabulated everyone's options with the pricing info that I have (from VW chatswood, nsw) and this is how we've been faring.

Format: user, price, rrp(onroad), saving%

jamj 32500 37361.7 13.0%
g6tsi 35700 40760.7 12.4%
Karmann 32060 36592.29 12.4%
Vwally 34770 39421.7 11.8%
vwnewbie 30700 34786.7 11.7%
Golfing 33000 37361.7 11.7%
ox518 35300 39730.7 11.2%
SLA14h 31200 34786.7 10.3%
Rufus 36900 40966.7 9.9%
lanif 33220 36846.7 9.8%
twotribez 35775 39579.29 9.6%
Ozram 41400 45601.7 9.2%
saveferris 33500 36846.7 9.1%
Supreme 33000 36125.7 8.7%
NewDub 40250 43541.7 7.6%
gead 34000 36125.7 5.9%
Stoney! 43696 45862.29 4.7%

edit: this is for the 118tsi only

edit 2: freebo/wicko/twotribez: what was the retail price for the bluetooth? (I guesstimated 500)

good on you dude, but i think for those got over 10% discount mostly with corp discount.

chylld
07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
good on you dude, but i think for those got over 10% discount mostly with corp discount.

Thanks for the suggestion, split the prices up into 2 groups now, one with corp discount and one without. The difference between the 2 groups is smaller than I thought...

PassatB6
07-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Chylld that's brilliant work. Is there anyway a spreadsheet can be posted where people can add as they go or maybe everyone could im you and you can add to the post? Would be good to know which dealer too! I know I'm asking a lot...

chylld
07-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Chylld that's brilliant work. Is there anyway a spreadsheet can be posted where people can add as they go or maybe everyone could im you and you can add to the post? Would be good to know which dealer too! I know I'm asking a lot...

I'm constantly playing with the spreadsheet, but am happy to update my post as new deals arrive.

Don't have much dealer info, but added what I have. If anyone in the list can provide dealer info that'd be awesome!

sideshow77
12-07-2009, 06:07 PM

Am looking at a 90TSI DSG w/Comfort pack or 118TSi (metallic paint, tint and mats) but am having no joy with dealers. None are willing to move on price. The fact that there are only 3 VW dealers in Perth with 2 being owned by the same parent company doesn't help. I would have thought $33k driveaway would be a fair price....esp looking at what vwnewbie paid for his.

If anyone in Perth is reading this and can recommend a half decent sales rep - please yell out. The whole purchasing process is doing my head in.

chylld
13-07-2009, 08:46 PM
uploaded my spreadsheet here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=31714) for people to use, in case anyone's interested :)

diesel_DSG
20-07-2009, 08:12 PM
HI all,

I went to Barloworld in Glen Waverley today, I think its about time to get rid of the commodore (05 VZ Lumina).. Convinced the wife to let me go drool.. afterall, my wife has the Mk 5 TDI, why cant I have one..

SO, first off, I eye a low KM (57kms) red GTI Mk 5 with leather and DSG - upon speaking to the dealer, they want $50k for it, and he WOULDNT budge on price. I politely told him to jam it!

Our negotiating moved on to a Silver Leaf FSI with DSG, sports package and ACC.. retail for this was:
Car $32990.00
Del. $2999.00 (ouch!)
stamp duty $900
Rego $646.00
Rec retail $37526.00

On top of this the options:
Sports pack $2000
ACC $1500
metallic paint $700

Total for all this $41735.00 on the road..

At this point, the fellow I was dealing with, Christian, starts talking up the relative lack of value of my car (im not a total idiot, I know its only a commodore!), talking down the trade value..

So he knocks it back to $40K flat, with a $10k trade on the Lumina, or maybe $12k for the Lumina, and all of a sudden we're talking $28K cash plus trade.. does this sound OK? Would it be worth peddling around other dealers (Camberwell Volksy) for a better deal?

Oh, and my wife's Mk5 was damaged while parked over night.. it was on the news, a bunch of ****bags went around my suburb smashing cars..

STV4SYT
20-07-2009, 08:21 PM
50k for Mk5 GTI, tell him he's dremin'

There is a post on here with a spreadsheet of all the mk6 prices that you plug in the options and it gives you a range.

very handy indeed.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=31714&highlight=spreadsheet

STV4SYT
20-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I just ran your specs in there, and without getting corporate discount a good changeover price is between $23,917.46 and $27,141.91.

diesel_DSG
20-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Steve - I did the same and came up with very similar figures, the trade price for the dunnydore being between $8800 and $10100..

I said to the dealer that if he could meet me at $25000, i'd sign. I walked, and said that we'd speak again when he could do $25k..So now we wait I guess!

Thanks

Sam

STV4SYT
20-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Its worth going to a couple of other dealers too, i was looking at trading to a Pirelli last month and the difference was astonishing. The difference between 2 dealers within 10km of each other was about $12k changeover!!!!!

It can be tedious sometimes, esp on the weekend, but some dealers are better prepared to deal.

Another tip too, given that June was a huge month with the 50% thing, a lot of the dealers held back on some cars until july as its generally a tougher month to make their quotas. If you go to a dealer that has sold his quota for the month he is less likely to drop his pants. If you get one that is a few short then they will be prepared to deal. This week is a good time to try and strike. or.....

August will be tougher again for them....

FezV10
20-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I recently tried to trade my Touareg V10 on a demo model Mk V GTI. The worst offer I had (from a VW dealer was $40k - thanks...). Others were between $52k and $59k.

The $59k was on a demo GTI which was advertised for about $43k. I was told two things at this point by other dealers:
1) the dealer was probably being dishonest and only offering me that much to get me in.
2) dealers have large factory incentives, in this case ~$7k to help offload the MkV GTI's before the new model arrives shortly.

Hard to know what to believe, other than how heartbreaking it is to know my Touareg has depreciated from $132k to $52 in 3 years!!

chylld
21-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks Steve - I did the same and came up with very similar figures, the trade price for the dunnydore being between $8800 and $10100..

I said to the dealer that if he could meet me at $25000, i'd sign. I walked, and said that we'd speak again when he could do $25k..So now we wait I guess!

Thanks

Sam

I'm glad my spreadsheet was able to help :) The ultimate goal is to give you a good idea as to what range of changeover price you can reasonably expect to get, and you've gone to the dealer with that info and if nothing else it's given you confidence in your bargaining power hehe.

Keep us updated with the wait!

Rocket
21-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Hard to know what to believe, other than how heartbreaking it is to know my Touareg has depreciated from $132k to $52 in 3 years!!

I'll give ya $40k for it :biggrin:

chylld
21-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Glass' guide has it valued at $63,000 - $74,600 (http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_value/SearchResults.aspx?make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=TOUAREG&year=2006&body=4D%20WAGON&variantseries=V10%20TDi:7L) trade-in. Don't listen to the dealers :)

FezV10
21-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Thing is, it has every option and on carsales now for $74500 ono. Red Book just dropped their value of the car to $53,700 - $58,900 which certainly doesn't help in the sale!

FezV10
21-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I've had a few offers like that now Rocket! I'd buy it for $40k too!!

clfive02
21-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Our negotiating moved on to a Silver Leaf FSI with DSG, sports package and .....Total for all this $41735.00 on the road..

I'm pretty sure I saw that car on their yard a couple of weeks back when they had the sale over the weekend and it was priced something like $38XXX or maybe even high $37s. Good luck with the purchase..

breezerboy
22-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I had a frustrating 4 - 5 month wait for my MK5 in 2005 to get Sat Nav, Leather and Sunroof (though it was worth the wait). I have now ordered a Reflex Silver 118 TSI with DSG, which I will get in less than 2 weeks. Only extra this time will be floor mats (I am saving money). Driveaway is approx. $30,600. Not bad I feel.

qup4me
23-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys
First post, In the market for a 118TSI Manual or DSG
So far i have been quoted on :
• Golf 118TSI Comfortline Manual Black
• Electric Glass Sunroof – PS5
• Sport Package (leather) - P92
• RCD510 300W Audio Package - RHF

$40310.79

• Golf 118TSI Comfortline DSG – In Black
• Electric Glass Sunroof – PS5
• Sport Package (leather) - P92
• RCD510 300W Audio Package - RHF

$42685.79

Drive away with Corp Discount
Normally around $47K rrp

Just the wait for one of these things is ages!!
Any thoughts

tofo17
23-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I had a frustrating 4 - 5 month wait for my MK5 in 2005 to get Sat Nav, Leather and Sunroof (though it was worth the wait). I have now ordered a Reflex Silver 118 TSI with DSG, which I will get in less than 2 weeks. Only extra this time will be floor mats (I am saving money). Driveaway is approx. $30,600. Not bad I feel.

Not bad? That's a great deal, well done!
Which dealer was that through?

breezerboy
23-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Through a leasing company (Fleet Partners), they are able to get discounts I can't. So, I am leasing it, but the lower the total cost, the lower the payments and residual after 4 years.

chylld
23-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Hi Guys
First post, In the market for a 118TSI Manual or DSG
So far i have been quoted on :
• Manual $40310.79
• DSG $42685.79

Drive away with Corp Discount

According to the spreadsheet (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=31714), you're aiming to stay in the following ranges for your spec:

Manual: $38,060.50 - $39,372.93
DSG: $40,300.75 - $41,690.43

So you need to bargain down by more than $1000 (preferably $2300) and you've got yourself a good deal :)

pologti18t
24-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Thing is, it has every option and on carsales now for $74500 ono. Red Book just dropped their value of the car to $53,700 - $58,900 which certainly doesn't help in the sale!

And that is the reason for staying away from over-optioning a car... poor resale

skyva
24-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Just a thought: when I took out a novated lease on my last car I did not have to include gst in the leased amount. Therefore there are two prices: the price of the car driveaway, which includes gst, and the price you finance, which doesn't. Make sure that the price you have includes gst, therefore the amount financed will be 9.1% less than the "price" they quote. That is for a novated lease anyway, it may be different if you are going for another type of lease.

JasonP
24-07-2009, 02:53 PM
And that is the reason for staying away from over-optioning a car... poor resale

It's also a reason to stay away from Luxury Homes (their prices crash first in a downturn), Boats (anything bigger than a Tinnie), Motorhomes, luxury leather goods, etc, etc.

As long as you are aware of potentially poor resale value when you make your buying decision, you might as well spec your car the way you want it, not based on how an Actuary will view it on the 2nd hand market.

:-)

chylld
24-07-2009, 06:58 PM
It's also a reason to stay away from Luxury Homes (their prices crash first in a downturn), Boats (anything bigger than a Tinnie), Motorhomes, luxury leather goods, etc, etc.

As long as you are aware of potentially poor resale value when you make your buying decision, you might as well spec your car the way you want it, not based on how an Actuary will view it on the 2nd hand market.

Well said! :)

as anyone can probably tell from my spreadsheet thread, I love making spreadsheets even just for trivial little things. but it took me quite a while to realise that all the maths and savings in the world won't compensate for having missed out on the enjoyment of something you love. within reasonable limits, you have to treat yourself :)

pologti18t
25-07-2009, 03:59 PM
savings in the world won't compensate for having missed out on the enjoyment of something you love. within reasonable limits, you have to treat yourself :)

yet, it's these very people who complain the loudest about the resale figure when they go to sell it ... much like luixury home buyers, boat owners etc ;)

JasonP
25-07-2009, 06:45 PM
yet, it's these very people who complain the loudest about the resale figure when they go to sell it ... much like luixury home buyers, boat owners etc ;)

OK, it's official!
I'll have to agree to disagree with pologti18t :-)

And when it comes time to change cars next, I promise I'll ask permission first, when ticking the options box.

Hope he let's me have the colour I want....... :-)

As the topic has obviously drifted, let me close by saying " I bought it, I paid for it, I know how much it costs, I know lesser systems are cheaper, I can afford it, & I'm very happy with it, and..... as it stands right now, I'd do exactly the same thing again".

People who are too concerned about resale buy white corollas anyway.
That's how you can tell.....

Programme
25-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Umm... this question doesn't pertain to just the Golf VI, but I think this is the best place for it.

What is the "corporate discount" nowadays?

I've visited a dealer today that was insistent that it amounted to around $3,500 off the RRP of the car, but I had been under the impression that it was 10% off the RRP with dealer delivery limited to $990.

I know from this thread that people have been negotiating good deals even without the corporate discount, but it would be nice to know what the dealer is probably going to get back from VW Australia while negotiating.

Cheers :)

chylld
26-07-2009, 01:14 AM
I cant say exactly how much it is, but from the deals the members on this forum have been getting, the corporate discount amounts to a 1% discount, ie ~$300-400.

cktsi
26-07-2009, 09:24 AM
$35,600 118tsi with DSG & sunroof. I was quoted $39,360 retail price (including rego, delivery etc etc)

chylld
26-07-2009, 12:45 PM
$35,600 118tsi with DSG & sunroof. I was quoted $39,360 retail price (including rego, delivery etc etc)

congrats!

possibly your dealer was being a bit 'creative' with the dealer delivery charge since your quoted rrp is 1k higher than my calculated rrp. still, 7.8% discount isn't too shabby!

added to spreadsheet.

FezV10
27-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Every option on a V10 amounts to Diff Lock, Rear Alloy Wheel and Metallic Paint. Even without these options the resale is still a killer - yet I never learn...
First a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport. Paid $33500, traded for $4k in 6 years
Then an Audi A3 3.2 DSG (R32 clone) paid $64500 as demo, offered $32k for trade by the same dealer 2 years later.

Now looking for a vanilla GTI V 2nd hand - surely that can't hurt too bad!

chylld
27-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Now looking for a vanilla GTI V 2nd hand - surely that can't hurt too bad!

The V GTI's been enjoying strong resale values, about the only thing that can hurt it is the VI GTI :)

I'm looking for one too maybe... but that discussion's for another thread :)

x_rotary_rasp
27-07-2009, 03:45 PM
G'day folks,

Spent half a day negotiating.
RRP $52380

Golf 103TDI 6 speed DSG

Options:
Metallic Paint
Electronic Sunroof
Leather Sports Package with Adaptive Chassis Control
RNS510 Satellite Navigation System with Dynaudio
Reverse Camera

Drive Away Price: $46230 (-11.74%)

Trade-in: $23000 :eek:only expected $21000 maximum for a 5 years old Mazda RX8 but negotiated the price to 23K:)

So, to make me feel better I might say the Drive Away price of $44230 (-15.56%)

I always try to negotiate between -10% to -13% from the RRP.

Regards

chylld
27-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Drive Away Price: $46230 (-11.74%)

Actually 12.8% by my calcs; well done! Best bargaining % we've seen so far for someone not using a corporate discount.

cktsi
27-07-2009, 08:05 PM
congrats!

possibly your dealer was being a bit 'creative' with the dealer delivery charge since your quoted rrp is 1k higher than my calculated rrp. still, 7.8% discount isn't too shabby!

added to spreadsheet.

I also forgot to mention I have metallic paint & they did charge for that. The dealer charge quoted was $1,995 and NSW's stamp duty is 3%. They also put the NSW "premium plate" (basically the white one) on the car & charged for that too... in addition to green slip & rego.

chylld
27-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I also forgot to mention I have metallic paint & they did charge for that. The dealer charge quoted was $1,995 and NSW's stamp duty is 3%. They also put the NSW "premium plate" (basically the white one) on the car & charged for that too... in addition to green slip & rego.

Spreadsheet updated, 9.5%! :) Just goes to show how much it matters to have the dealer throw in a little thing here and there; makes a significant difference to the % total discount.

dopey
27-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi All,
My girl and I spent most of our Sunday at Barloworld VW (Mascot) and have ordered the following as her new vehicle;

118TSI
Candy White
Manual
Bluetooth
Floor Mats,
Boot Protector
Premium Plates

We ended up paying $31,300 drive-away.

Quite a reasonable price I thought, compared with the Mazda SP25 we were also considering.

Could definitely have negotiated a better price than that but to be honest we couldn't be bothered.

Now I'm just waiting for a phone call tomorrow to confirm how long we'll be waiting to take delivery. Manuals seem quite scarce at the moment! They had just about any DSG you'd like sitting out the back, but no thanks.

Regards,
Ryan

cktsi
27-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Congrats on the new purchase! I test drove the SP25 as well and in my mind there was no contest.

That sounds like a good deal.

How much was the bluetooth and is it the original unit from the VW factory in Germany or some aftermarket version (like Parrot)? Bluetooth wasn't available when I ordered in late May.

chylld
28-07-2009, 12:34 AM
I've been told the retail for the bluetooth is $1899, unless there's more than one type? On the golf V the bluetooth was only ~$900.

If it was the $1899 one though then dopey you got an awesome deal, congrats! 13.1% by my calcs. Highest so far :bowdown:

sillygogo
28-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

Picked up mine in Brisbane for $33200 drive away, not sure if that is a good deal.

118Tsi, DSG, metalic paint and mats.

There is someone on Ebay selling mats and boot liner. I bought the mats then the dealer give me a sets. So now I have a spare sets of mats. Maybe keep it a spare for down the tract or sell it. Does anyone know the value of the genuine VW mats?

olaf
31-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello,

New to the Forum. Wish I had seen the spreadsheet before getting my MK6. Still, I'm pretty happy with the deal I got:

90TSI DSG
Metallic Paint
Comfort Pack
Business Rego
White Plate
Mats

$31,500 driveaway (NSW) no corporate discount

Ordered last Wed, drove off 2 days later. Love the car

Olaf

RECRUT
05-08-2009, 12:04 PM
i can give you guys a rough idea on discount if you tell me what you want.

^^

Good deal you got there.

chylld
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
i can give you guys a rough idea on discount if you tell me what you want.

That'd be awesome; are you a dealer? If you are can you please have a look through the mk6 golf spreadsheet (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=31714) and give some feedback as to where it could be better?

RECRUT
05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
won't open for me!

chylld
05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
won't open for me!

have you tried both versions? there is one .xlsx for Office 2007, and a .xls for earlier versions.

logger
13-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for Sweet spreadsheet chylld.
Currently after a fairly stock 118TSi at a keen price in Vic, so it has been useful as a starting point. I have no trade in and have access to the corp discount.
Has anyone heard of any dealers doing anything special at the moment. So far I am about RRP < 7% and I really don't want to play until I see the 12 or 13%.
Assuming I can scope out a good deal and I end up with a VW - I expect this will the first of many post for me here. BTW, Nice forum guys :cool:

x_rotary_rasp
14-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Tell the sales rep how much you are willing to pay to make a deal.

Start with minus 15%. They'll try to meet you halfway between 15% - 10% off the recommended on the road cost. Don't be pressured to sign unless you are within 10% to 13%.

Keep us updated. We need to refine ways in bargaining for a car deal with minimal effort. :eek:

Goodluck!

dopey
20-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Well I must update our price as things have changed. VW told us that the delivery date would be pushed back to December sometime - way too far away. Since we needed a car sooner than later, we've changed to Reflex Silver with a Sports Pack.

So our final specs, as per invoice are:

118TSI
Reflex Silver (Metallic Paint)
Sports Pack (Cloth)
Manual
Bluetooth
Floor Mats
Boot Protector
Premium Plates

$32,184 (Total Cost, Drive Away) with corporate discount applied.

Car arrives in the country on the 13th September so by the first week of October we should finally have the new car.

Pity - I really wanted the white but the wait is just far too long. That said, the price we got on the Silver one is pretty good I think.

chylld
21-08-2009, 12:01 AM
that's an insanely good price dopey! my spreadsheet puts the rrp at $38,802.67 for your config, so you've got the biggest discount on record - 17.1%.

well done!

logger
21-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Excellent price, but there is a time element to it. By the time you actually get the car in a couple of months I reckon that sort of pricing will be more common. I collect my car today and I got 15.9% off - if I did my sums correct. As they say "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Will pass my details later after I have it home.

vwdealer
21-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Hahah these threads are the ones that stop me putting food on the table. :P

If people are after a ripper deal..
$30,888 on a brand new Mk 5 2.0 Pacific TDI DSG.

exclusive to our dealership.

PM me if anyone is keen.
not many left.

vwdealer
21-08-2009, 12:32 PM
just realised this is mk 6 not mk 5 thread.. my bad
still cheap :P

PassatB6
21-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Go Chylld!:banana:

chylld
22-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Go Chylld!:banana:

hahah well if we're talking about the spreadsheet, it's a bit like when google maps first launched. no new information at all, just the same information in an easier-to-digest format.

Nicho
23-08-2009, 05:33 PM
OK....after long negotiations between 2 Dealers in Sydney (they hate me.....), I have been offered a Silver or Shark Blue 118TSI with the following for $35K. It looks like I can get a corp discount and that is included in the $35K. I would rather the Shark Blue but closest dealer only has Silver.

Base 118TSI DSG
Sports Pack(Cloth) -
Rear Sensors -
Mats -
Cargo Tray -
Metallic Paint -
Boot Organiser -

I had forgotten about MDI connectivity and will need to try to get that thrown in for free. I get that at $41380 odd driveaway. I have based the the mats, cargo and rear sensors on the dealers quote. According to the spreadsheet, that would be around 15% discount?? Or have I got things wrong (always possible:rolleyes:).....

It has been a long hard decision between this and Mazda SP25. Quality in VW a given but working with a $35K budget not easy. Foregoing Bluetooth and GPS, which the SP25 has as standard is annoying as I drive around town for a living. I will have to get aftermarket options as the costs for both Factory options is too high for budget.....nevermind....I still think the Golf is the right decision.

logger
23-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Base 118TSI
Sports Pack(Cloth) -
Rear Sensors -
Mats -
Cargo Tray -
Metallic Paint -
Boot Organiser -

I had forgotten about MDI connectivity and will need to try to get that thrown in for free. I get that at $41380 odd driveaway.

Doesn't sound quite right to me. 118TSI manual rrp is 34K +/- a poofteenth. So if you add all your bits to that you get 37890 not 41380. Sure you have included everything. DSG perhaps?

Nicho
23-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Sorry...that is DSG....

logger
23-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Aha that makes sense then ~ 15%. Within a NATs whisker of what I got for a basic 118+DSG about week back in % terms.

chylld
24-08-2009, 06:07 PM
my calcs actually show about 12.6% (see latest spreadsheet)... solid effort nonetheless :) mats and boot organiser etc i still consider as retail freebies no one here should be paying for...

also i assume the rear parking sensors are a dealer-fitted accessory? because the park assist system is much more expensive. have updated the spreadsheet to also allow this option.

Nicho
24-08-2009, 10:29 PM
my calcs actually show about 12.6% (see latest spreadsheet)... solid effort nonetheless :) mats and boot organiser etc i still consider as retail freebies no one here should be paying for...

also i assume the rear parking sensors are a dealer-fitted accessory? because the park assist system is much more expensive. have updated the spreadsheet to also allow this option.

Thanks Chylld.....brilliant spreadsheet and very helpful with negotiations. Just so I have things clear in my head and know my facts and not getting any bum steers from the salesmen:

They advise Dealer delivery at $2495 but you rate at $1995?? They have given me Rego at $396 and CTP at $428? Difference of $628 (not allowing for your considered freebies). Are they inflating any of these figures?

You also have me in the spreadsheet twice ;-)

chylld
25-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks Chylld.....brilliant spreadsheet and very helpful with negotiations. Just so I have things clear in my head and know my facts and not getting any bum steers from the salesmen:

They advise Dealer delivery at $2495 but you rate at $1995?? They have given me Rego at $396 and CTP at $428? Difference of $628 (not allowing for your considered freebies). Are they inflating any of these figures?

You also have me in the spreadsheet twice ;-)

i've seen dealer delivery from 995 to 2995, quite a wide range. 1995 was a nice average sweet spot :) same deal with rego/ctp.

fixed the spreadsheet, sorry must have had a brainfart when adding ur deal in there :stupid:

bensl
11-09-2009, 08:35 PM
very new to this forum so im not sure if this is a good deal or not. just bought a 118tsi, auto & metallic paint for $33100 driveaway. does this seem ok??

chylld
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
very new to this forum so im not sure if this is a good deal or not. just bought a 118tsi, auto & metallic paint for $33100 driveaway. does this seem ok??

works out to 11.4% discount as per the spreadsheet (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=31714) - a very good effort, well done!

kermit
12-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm new too. just bought a 118tsi, base hose out model :P (No options at all and I like manual gears) $29750 drive away does this seem ok??

chylld
12-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm new too. just bought a 118tsi, base hose out model :P (No options at all and I like manual gears) $29750 drive away does this seem ok??

12.7% discount - very good deal! and welcome :)

Pharkus
15-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Was looking at 90TSI base no options, metallic paint and walked away from $26k on the weekend.

We were after $25k flat.

Would have been third vehicle from that dealership. The way I see it, what they profit from continued servicing from 3 vehicles over the life of the car (I intend to keep my for like forever) will far outweigh the $1k additional discount we are asking for.

Makes sense to me that keeping a loyal customer costs you less than trying to get a new one. Otherwise if we do find a deal better elsewhere I may also take my servicing to them as well.

RECRUT
15-09-2009, 11:21 AM
with metallic also?

25k is a sharp price.

logger
15-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Was looking at 90TSI base no options, metallic paint and walked away from $26k on the weekend.

We were after $25k flat.

Would have been third vehicle from that dealership. The way I see it, what they profit from continued servicing from 3 vehicles over the life of the car (I intend to keep my for like forever) will far outweigh the $1k additional discount we are asking for.

Makes sense to me that keeping a loyal customer costs you less than trying to get a new one. Otherwise if we do find a deal better elsewhere I may also take my servicing to them as well.

So your aiming for about 17% off. It might be do-able, although the less options the less room to move I suspect. I reckon you are going about it the wrong way sticking with your preferred dealership. I got a bit over 15% off, for a car that was delivered within 7 days.
You know the price you want to pay.
You have chosen the dealership to service it, but there is no need to buy it from them.

Just ring a few nearby dealers. Tell them what you want and see if they can deliver it within your time frame. Advise them that you will come in and sign on the spot if they meet YOUR price and delivery schedule. No argy bargy just tell them you know what others are paying and if they want the the sale today THEY will need to meet YOUR Price. Ball is the in their court and if they cannot come to the party you can try again in a few days. Worked a treat for me. I reckon a got one of the best prices around for a car delivered straight away. Oh and another thing, you would expect greater discounts if you were happy to wait several months. Might even be able to recommend some dealers if you had a location other than Earth.

Golf Mark 6
15-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi guys. If only I'd known about this forum BEFORE my purchase! You guys should put up illegal flyers near all VW dealerships...

I picked up my new 118TSi DSG (Metallic Paint) with Tint and Floormats for $35,000 on the road...

I thought I'd managed to get a decent deal...

Pharkus
15-09-2009, 12:39 PM
So your aiming for about 17% off. It might be do-able, although the less options the less room to move I suspect. I reckon you are going about it the wrong way sticking with your preferred dealership. I got a bit over 15% off, for a car that was delivered within 7 days.
You know the price you want to pay.
You have chosen the dealership to service it, but there is no need to buy it from them.

Just ring a few nearby dealers. Tell them what you want and see if they can deliver it within your time frame. Advise them that you will come in and sign on the spot if they meet YOUR price and delivery schedule. No argy bargy just tell them you know what others are paying and if they want the the sale today THEY will need to meet YOUR Price. Ball is the in their court and if they cannot come to the party you can try again in a few days. Worked a treat for me. I reckon a got one of the best prices around for a car delivered straight away. Oh and another thing, you would expect greater discounts if you were happy to wait several months. Might even be able to recommend some dealers if you had a location other than Earth.

The point with going back to the dealership I purchased mine and another car from was to try to leverage off the repeat customer policy (i.e. Already happy with buying my car there, servicing etc and keeping my custom is cheaper than getting a new customer). I am quite loyal if people look after me (maybe they can't do $25k) and therefore I will look at other dealerships to see if this is possible and to confirm. Not sure how things work if quoting $26k was a "red" deal (as in losing $300). If this is the case I would be pretty worried where my next paycheck from VW was coming from if that was the profit from a car.

They would not budge on $26k flat, therefore if I do find someone else that does offer a price below that, I will also be taking my car away from the dealership and service it there (all things being equal).

Conclusion is that the dealership selling me the car at the price I want will get the profits over the long run of 2 cars being serviced there and I can tell you that my R32 has not done many k's and I am keeping it long term. Now you can't argue that they don't make a killing out of profits from servicing now can you?

logger
15-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Based upon RRP of $29,430.70 per the spreadsheet and asking price of $25,000, it's closer to 15% discount.
I think you have missed $700 for the metallic paint. My copy of the spreadsheet shows around $30,151.70 IF you include metallic paint, hence the 17%. But without the paint I agree with your calcs.

Conclusion is that the dealership selling me the car at the price I want will get the profits over the long run of 2 cars being serviced there and I can tell you that my R32 has not done many k's and I am keeping it long term. Now you can't argue that they don't make a killing out of profits from servicing now can you?
No arguments here, I agree - Put the argument to your dealer - you might get lucky.

Golf Mark 6, you were probably somewhat disadvantaged by a lack of dealers over there. We are a bit spoilt for choice over this side and as a result can play them off.

JasonP
15-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Taking into account the servicing, you'd have to get Dealer Principal approval for that sort of deal.
Most car dealerships I know, treat New Car Sales, Used Car Sales, Spare Parts, & Service Depts as individual profit centres.
Therefore the new car sales dept. doesn't care whether or not you get your car serviced at their dealership or not.
However, the Dealer Principal is responsible for the overall profitability of the Dealership, & would therefore be able to take into account your intention to service the car there.

Of course they can't force you to get your car serviced at their dealership........

Pharkus
15-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Good to know that the dealer principal is the guy to speak to. Seems the salesperson I was speaking to thought that swirl marks (deep ones) on a brand new car were standard fare (probably charge extra for them as well).

Would like to see if that swings the vote.

chylld
15-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Going to add your $26k offer to the spreadsheet anyway... if you accepted it that would have been the best % deal without a corporate discount! (13.8%)

118TSi DSG (Metallic Paint) with Tint and Floormats for $35,000 on the road...

It's not a bad deal, although going by the other deals we've seen you could probably have haggled another $1k-2k off.

Nowhere near as bad as one of my first car deals though where I got tricked into paying the full RRP! (And the car turned out to be a lemon.)

sideshow77
17-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi guys. If only I'd known about this forum BEFORE my purchase! You guys should put up illegal flyers near all VW dealerships...

I picked up my new 118TSi DSG (Metallic Paint) with Tint and Floormats for $35,000 on the road...

Who did you get it through? My sister picked up her's in July from VW Ossie Park. She grabbed a 118TSI DSG in Silver Leaf with tint for $34,500 driveaway. They wouldn't budge on mats and buggered if I'm paying $200 for mats.

I agree - the lack of competition here means we're screwed when it comes to getting a price anywhere near what the guys on the East Coast are getting. VW Ossie Park & Wangara are owed by the same company.

The Wednesday arvo/evening my sister took delivery of hers, there were 5 Golfs ready to be handed over. What recession I ask...

chylld
17-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Who did you get it through? My sister picked up her's in July from VW Ossie Park. She grabbed a 118TSI DSG in Silver Leaf with tint for $34,500 driveaway. They wouldn't budge on mats and buggered if I'm paying $200 for mats.

I agree - the lack of competition here means we're screwed when it comes to getting a price anywhere near what the guys on the East Coast are getting. VW Ossie Park & Wangara are owed by the same company.

The Wednesday arvo/evening my sister took delivery of hers, there were 5 Golfs ready to be handed over. What recession I ask...

Uploaded to the spreadsheet, works out to be a 7.7% discount.

The best WA deal I've seen so far is vwnewbie's, a 118TSI manual with metallic paint for $30,700 (11.7%).

oileoi
18-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I paid my deposit on the 28 August at Barloworld (Moorabin). Lara was my sales rep, she was helpful but as all car dealers a little pushy. My advice is be ready to walk away!

My order:

90 TSI Manual
Candy White (CW)
Comfort Package
Driveaway price AU$27,500 - Do you think I got a good price? - (no corporate deal)

They also quote me driveaway price AU$31,000 for a basic model 118 TSI - Manual (CW) and I was thinking in stretching my budget, is it really worth it? :confused:

Thanks in advance guys

pologti18t
18-09-2009, 01:51 PM
My order:

90 TSI Manual
Candy White (CW)
Comfort Package
Driveaway price AU$27,500 - Do you think I got a good price? - (no corporate deal)

They also quote me driveaway price AU$31,000 for a basic model 118 TSI - Manual (CW) and I was thinking in stretching my budget, is it really worth it? :confused:

$3500 is a lot of money. You could spend 1600 on an APR reflash for an upgrade to 100kw/250Nm and pocket $2000

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/14tsi_stage_i_98_ron_crankgif-1.jpg

oileoi
18-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks pologti18t, I've been looking at the upgrade from APR but was wondering about the end results, has any one here actually done the performance upgrade in a 90 TSI? Also I'm curious to know how my price comes in the % savings spread sheet?

sillygogo
18-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Oileoi: Go for the 118TSi if you can, I would recommend the sports pack too...i regret of not get it at the time.

pologti18t
18-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks pologti18t, I've been looking at the upgrade from APR but was wondering about the end results, has any one here actually done the performance upgrade in a 90 TSI? Also I'm curious to know how my price comes in the % savings spread sheet?

Apparently you can get it flashed for free for a 6hr trial. You can then decide if its worth it or not. I have had my Polo Gti reflashed and its the best $1400 i have ever spent on a car.

chylld
19-09-2009, 11:48 AM
My order:

90 TSI Manual
Candy White (CW)
Comfort Package

works out to a 13.2% discount, awesome effort! Added to the spreadsheet.

When a customer buys a car they usually want three things:

1. A high quality car.
2. The best possible customer service.
3. The lowest possible price.

Unfortunately, this is not an ideal world. You will have to comprimise on one of the above to get some of the crazy deals you guys seem to want.
If you can't afford the service and support of a Volkswagen dealer then there is always Kia and Hyundai.

My current car happens to be a Hyundai i30 diesel. It is a very good quality car that has served me well from day 1. The customer service is excellent, and when there was some oil dripping from a faulty oil cap, they drove out to me and fixed it, escorted me back to the service centre and did a full check of everything, and then gave me back my keys at no cost. And I got a price low enough that they had to process my deal manually since the computer wouldn't accept it.

On the other hand, my previous car, a Honda for which I paid the full RRP+on roads (not a single dollar of bargaining) was unreliable, had several critical components fail and both the car reliability and customer service were so bad I had to consult legal advice at one point.

Point being, paying more money than one needs to for a car does not guarantee a higher quality product nor greater customer service. In fact, from your post it sounds like you look at how much a customer paid for their car, and adjust your quality of service to suit.

But going by some of the attitudes on here, I think we would be far better off just closing the dealerships and simply ordering our cars online from Amazon at a fixed price.

If that were the cheaper option, I don't see many reasons why not to.

I wonder how many of you walk into Coles or Wolworths and try to get two cartons of Milk for the price of one?????? :confused:

I think you are :confused: by the fact that consumers want the best deal they can get. If we know that Coles occasionally runs specials for 50% off milk, then we'll happily take that offer when the specials are on. While there is no such regular and established "specials period" for cars, we do know what discounts others have gotten so naturally we, as consumers, will want that deal. e.g. if I know I can get 2 cartons of milk for $5, I'm not going to pay $7 now, am I?

Skoda Convert
19-09-2009, 12:20 PM
While there is no such regular and established "specials period" for cars, we do know what discounts others have gotten so naturally we, as consumers, will want that deal. e.g. if I know I can get 2 cartons of milk for $5, I'm not going to pay $7 now, am I?

It's very hard to make that comparison though becuase you can't put it into context of one off small purchases. However take the coles and safeway example over the full 12 months, most of us wol sepnd on average around $150 a week at a supermarket and for a family probably around $220 but we'll use the $150 for the example. That works out to be $7,800 a year or the average car repayments on a 5 year loan for a new car. None of us really go and actively seek supermarket bargains on every item we receive so on average our shop will always be at that $150 mark.

Everyone here would agree that you would feel like a dill strolling up to the counter and trying to negotiate with the checkout chick then saying i need to think about it which in salesmans terms means ' i need to go and shop you'

Although we give these groups thousands of dollars a year, year in year out we never ever negotiate with them and yet it becomes like a sport for you people when you buying a car. All you end up doing is p#$@ing people off and then you can't understand why they treat you like crap, well let me give you some insight.

The consultant can spend 10 minutes with you he/she can spend 4 hours with you and unless they sell you a car they make $0. When the market is so tight they can't be paid a commission because how can you pay someone a percentage of nothing so they get a delivery fee, this is more often than not $50 - $100 but can be as much as.......wait for it.............$150 before tax. All that to greet you professionally develop a professional repoire with you, show you the car, take you for a test drive, value you trade in if you have one, negotiate with you and then have you make them beg for your business by running around and screwing them down, or even worse walking into another dealer who has spent 20 minutes with you gives you a couple of hundred better and you by somewhere else.

We can all tell story's about how disgraceful consultants are but i have heard thousands of stories on how disgusting customers are and how they barely show a shred of loyalty, especially in VW. They want to feel like the are prestige buyer, get the great service and be pampered because they are apparently 'professional' people but then act like they are bargaining on a Hyundai. The funny part is Hyundai are averaging more per gross unit than VW currently and i can assure you that is a fact!!!

And before you mention base pay none of them (not in management) earn anymore than $40k as a retainer.

If you are unhappy at how dealerships treat you please understand that we have done it to ourselves. I purchased my Skoda Wagon from someone who treated me well, i didn't go anywhere else because i had no need to. Great service from a dedicated professional needs to be rewarded, if i payed a bit to much who cares he deserved it and hopefully he will still be there when i return in 2012 and i can reward his professionalism again.

'Treat people how you would like to be treated' you be amazed how well this works!!!!

All i am saying is buying a new car should be enjoyable, we don't do it every day and some of the posts here are giving people crazy pre-conceived idea's that are setting them up to go and lock horns with dealers and inevitably have a bad buying experience.

chylld
19-09-2009, 12:48 PM
...some of the posts here are giving people crazy pre-conceived idea's that are setting them up to go and lock horns with dealers and inevitably have a bad buying experience.

All the posts here are straight facts, real numbers that real people have achieved on real deals from real dealers. There is nothing crazy here?

Moreover, I don't recall any of the buyers here having major problems with customer service?

philthy
19-09-2009, 03:34 PM
When a customer buys a car they usually want three things:

1. A high quality car.
2. The best possible customer service.
3. The lowest possible price.

Unfortunately, this is not an ideal world. You will have to comprimise on one of the above to get some of the crazy deals you guys seem to want.

You want your cars well below cost price, with plenty of extras thrown in for free, your full tank of fuel, floor mats, etc, etc.

Why would you sell a car below cost? Do these customers walk in with a loaded gun? If sell a vehicle with full knowledge that you are losing money and you don't expect to recover it through servicing etc. then I don't see how you plan to stay in business.

And then, when something goes wrong, you expect the dealer to ben over backwards for you? Where does the mentality come from?

Why on earth is it unreasonable for a customer to expect a dealer to honour a warranty? Are you serious?

I am by no means wealthy, but I guess I was brought up differently. If it is quality and service you are after, then you have to pay for it. If you can't afford the service and support of a Volkswagen dealer then there is always Kia and Hyundai.

It's a Volkswagen, not a Bentley. Get your hand off it.

Bottem line, if it was not good enough for me at full price, then it certainly is not good enough at a discounted price. I am all for getting a good deal, dont get me wrong. But going by some of the attitudes on here, I think we would be far better off just closing the dealerships and simply ordering our cars online from Amazon at a fixed price.

Agreed, your attitude makes me think that's a great idea.

I wonder how many of you walk into Coles or Wolworths and try to get two cartons of Milk for the price of one?????? :confused:

Interesting point. I buy woolies brand milk cos it's exactly the same as the more expensive stuff, just without the added marketing BS cost. :P

logger
19-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Nice one Philphy. Your post cracked me up. Couldn't agree more.

All i am saying is buying a new car should be enjoyable, we don't do it every day and some of the posts here are giving people crazy pre-conceived idea's that are setting them up to go and lock horns with dealers and inevitably have a bad buying experience.

Skoda Convert,
Actually I don't really give a rats about the buying experience which last a day or tow at most. For me, it is the ownership and use of the car that should be enjoyable. My local dealer has excellent sales people, who are very professional and do a terrific job. But for me that is not sufficient reason to pay their principals $500 more for the car than another dealer. If the dealership wants my sale then they need to jiggle their spreadsheet so their best price is the best price. Simple really.
In any case Locking horns with the dealer is fun especially since I have the cheque book in my pocket. It is the Dealers turn to bend me over when I take my car in for a service.

Chylld, I commend you for creating this thread and the SS which is a terrific resource for savvy buyers. You could start a business doing this sort of stuff you know.

chylld
19-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Chylld, I commend you for creating this thread and the SS which is a terrific resource for savvy buyers. You could start a business doing this sort of stuff you know.

I only made the SS; Rufus made this thread :)

kevin118
19-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I've enjoyed these comments today. Some interesting observations that made me think.

I'm in the camp of not caring a great deal about the relationship with the sales person, but caring more about getting the right car at the right price. The way of the world is that there is a lot more information available to help influence the decision about what car to buy; and what might be an acceptable price.

My experience with VW sales staff is very limited, but I have no complaints at all. I'm sure they have to deal with all sorts.:eek:

I would prefer, though, not to have to haggle for a car at all. 'Fixed price: take or leave it' would be great but that isn't the market at the moment. Similarly airplane seats aren't the same price either. The ability to secure a good price for airplane seat / new car has nothing to do with the service / quality expected.

I concede that the kind of people that play the sales game carefully (perhaps getting the better deals) may happen to be same kind of people that are particular about the product they get.

I've read many threads on this forum discussing 'problems' with their car, that I'd probably never notice, let alone complain about - which is a refection of my lack of technical knowledge. The quality of the car does not change (obviously) based on the price paid for it. Fussy knowledge people will be fussy and knowledge regardless of how they acquired the car.

btw Is the assertion that sales staff at VW get up to $150 commission for a 40K car right? I confess, I thought it was much higher.

JasonP
19-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I have previously worked in new car sales, & have had my own experiences of buying new cars via a Car Broker, & negotiating with dealers directly myself.
I've always found that the buyer who screws every last cent out of the deal, ends up with the most hassles with the reliability of the car.
Buyers who know they've left a few dollars in the deal, end up in a Win/Win position.
They are happy to buy at that price, & the dealer is happy to sell at that price.
These are the buyers who never seem to have any warranty claims, or hassles with their new car.

Karma I think they call it......

chylld
19-09-2009, 08:39 PM
It also depends how closely the sales and service departments are linked.

With my Honda (which I happily paid full price for), the salesman was super-friendly and assured me that he would personally take care of me to book services and make sure I get everything that I need. However once the car started having problems, he couldn't try harder to remember who I was, and when he did, he just forwarded me to the service dept who asked me the same questions all over again.

I know my Honda is just one case, but I wonder how VW is structured with regard to sales <-> service. IIRC the Sydney Parramatta sales centre is a few km away from the service centre...

oileoi
20-09-2009, 12:08 AM
chylld thanks for giving me the 13.2% figure, i feel much better now.

oileoi
20-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Cheers pologti18t, I ran APR yesterday and they told me all about the free trial and the upgrade

aw611
20-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Hi all,
Thanks chylld for creating the SS.. been a long time reader of this thread and the info here help me a great deal in negotiating with the dealer which I have signed on the dotted line today!! :banana:

Golf 118TSI DSG
Sports Pack
Metallic Paint
Sunroof
MDI

$37k with Corp Plus discount..

I am really happy with the deal but delivery will be late Jan!! :pat:

Skoda Convert
20-09-2009, 01:28 PM
All the posts here are straight facts, real numbers that real people have achieved on real deals from real dealers. There is nothing crazy here?

Moreover, I don't recall any of the buyers here having major problems with customer service?

You kid yourself if you think this forum is a bases for 'the truth and nothing but the truth'. Why would someone be compelled to come onto a site full of enthusiasts and say, "over here, i'm the one that paid far to much, howw stupid am i?'..............

Claims of people getting 17% off retail on Golf Comfortlines are absolute lies and i know for a fact anything above 11% would be nigh on impossible (without the dealer loosing' without fleet assistance and even then 17% is rubbish without a massively over inflated dealer deliver charge.

And when you get a moment have a poke around in this forum, there are a lot of people who feel discontented with their experiences an in a round about way we can thank people like you

Skoda Convert
20-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I must add though that the dealerships have really done this to themselves, they are trying to re-coupe costs in service and like the new car purchase people are now going from dealer to dealer to negotiate pricing.

Short cuts will be taken and service levels will gradually drop, they have too. The inevitable result will be similar to what they have done in other countries and what Subaru has done here, they will go back to being factory run operations and they will dictate to you how much you pay.

Until then if it floats your boat to go out and screw these blocks to the wall then crack on and have a great time with it. It's not my thing as i would prefer them not to push me to the back of the line when warranty an service work needs to be done because i was the p@#k that screwed them to the wall.

I would also like to avoid some of the horror stories i have heard where people turn up for a 60,000km service and are charged $1,700 before tyres, brakes or any other work..........................

eestison
20-09-2009, 03:11 PM
hi All,

in noticing the rumblings of war in this thread i thought i might contribute with an article (no, seriously).

if you have some time you should read the following article from edmunds.com; "Confessions of a Car Salesman"

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

while you may call me out for being inflammatory, posting a link for an article that is an investigative expose, it's not as one sided as you may think... please read the entire article.

...and yes, i realise that the investigation and publication are US based for a US market, but it is worth a read (imho) and still quite relevant here in Australia.

chylld
20-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi all,
Thanks chylld for creating the SS.. been a long time reader of this thread and the info here help me a great deal in negotiating with the dealer which I have signed on the dotted line today!! :banana:

Golf 118TSI DSG
Sports Pack
Metallic Paint
Sunroof
MDI

$37k with Corp Plus discount..

I am really happy with the deal but delivery will be late Jan!! :pat:

That's quite a wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it :) Works out to a solid 11.4% discount, well done. Updated the SS, glad it could help you.

Thanks for your comments, I'm sure all the people who feel the urge to pay extra for a car will do so accordingly. For everyone else, there's this thread and the spreadsheet :)

philthy
20-09-2009, 06:07 PM
.... the p@#k that screwed them to the wall.

:rolleyes: Once again, no-one is forcing the dealer to sell the car at a discount.

logger
20-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Why would someone be compelled to come onto a site full of enthusiasts and say, "over here, i'm the one that paid far to much, howw stupid am i?'.............. No one is compelling you to reveal this.... In reality the marketplace needs a spread of buyers with different attitudes to allow scope for different outcomes. This is a good thing.

Claims of people getting 17% off retail on Golf Comfortlines are absolute lies and i know for a fact anything above 11% would be nigh on impossible (without the dealer loosing' without fleet assistance and even then 17% is rubbish without a massively over inflated dealer deliver charge. Cant say I got 17%. But ~ 15.4% off, and can happily provide a copy my contract and purchase receipt to chylld. In other words, fact not lie.

As Chylld says, users are welcome to ignore this thread. As far as I can tell the majority see it as a great resource.

dopey
20-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't know nor care what the "real" discount is that we achieved with our purchase, all I know is $32k on road for a 118TSI Sports Pack with Met. Paint, BT, Mats, etc is pretty respectable considering we didn't have to "screw the dealer to the wall". In fact I don't recall any sort of haggling going on for us, we were straight up with the saleswoman what our budget was and what sort of prices it was going to take to get us into a Golf over the other cars we were considering. She came to the table with prices better than expected, well within our budget, so of course we walked away happy customers.

At the end of the day they're a business so they need to make coin somewhere, but at $32k I hardly think we were getting ripped off. Threads like this at least give others a bit of a heads-up on what would be considered a reasonable price to pay so they don't get ripped off, but I hardly think it's a great idea to rock up to the dealer demanding a certain figure because some other clown on a forum claims they got their car for $x.

oileoi
21-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I must agree with the vast majority here. This thread is a great resource of information for future GOLF buyers. Buying a new car can be intimidating and daunting. However this thread gives you with facts (from real people, like me who got 13.2% off the rrp) a good idea of what the price is in the market for a new GOLF MK6 and assist the buyer with its decision.

That's why people who have gotten great discounts 14% - 17% have share their experiences here, because it does happens. Or you never been shopping around and there's a sale of some sort and you end up scoring a bargain? Sometimes the person who is selling likes you and gives you a great price just because they can. It does happen and there's people here to prove it with FACTS!!!

Keep up the good work guys and that SS going :vw:

pologti18t
21-09-2009, 10:03 AM
What hasn't been noted in these examples is if:
1. A tradein was involved
2. The dealer supplied the finance

Either of these could ultimately affect the "deal" done on the purchase price of the car. They load the tradein valuation and reduce the new car price for instance. Or they get commissions on the finance so they can reduce the sale price.

Pharkus
21-09-2009, 03:25 PM
New addition for you though not a Golf.

Polo GTi
- Reflex Silver

....on road for $25,500.

Probably could have waited for leather pack bonus again, but car now is a car now.

This thread has been very good in delivering valuable discussion on what to look for/ask in dealer negotiations. Here are a few points that I would like to make:

1. Price.

The dealer has the final say as to whether they want to sell you the car. If that is below cost (I'm sure I can make a spreadsheet to spit out the numbers to show that from a certain price point it will be a loss) then that will be what they are willing to sell it for. People have mentioned you do not walk into a dealership with a gun to their head. The perceived economic climate make it a bit harder to sell so should favour the consumer at this time. But asking for a discount on a newly released Golf MkVI which is in high deman may not get you there (simple economics).

2. Customer service/Servicing

I got a reduction in dealer delivery. This usually involves the cost of pre-delivery checks, transportation and car wash/detailing etc. From personal experience, I am happy I got the reduction. A vacuum hose came loose prior to picking up which dangerously affected my car's braking capacity. Eventually threw up an engine fault and had to take it back in my own time to have it fixed (which they did as they should) but probably should have been checked pre-delivery.

Car washing. Water restrictions now mean that they rarely wash your car, and I personally specifically instruct them not to wash my car. I am very particular about the steps involved in a proper washing of my car and therefore will NEVER allow a dealership to wash my car.

Buying a VW whilst not in the luxury brand should still mean that you can rely upon the car not having many hiccups. Though when these do occur and they do for all cars, you should expect that the issue is dealt with efficiently and professionally. I can say that my dealer has done this without many problems.

I'm not negotiating for servicing, but provide you with the following example. I go to a dealership on recommendation from a friend, purchased a car there and now less than 2 years later am in the market for a second car.

Keeping in mind that it costs less to retain a customer than to obtain a new one (i.e. give me a better discount now and the servicing of both cars remains yours). When in 2 years time I look for the our next "family" car, guess who I will go to then and who will also get to service that car?

I would have thought that the repeat business, to a lesser extent the purchase and to a greater extent the servicing profits would far outweigh a once off discount on purchase over and above a one time car buyer.

So, take from this thread what you will. I understand that the price of purchase is not confidential, but will allow a perfect market (where everyone has full knowledge) to decide whether the deal they are negotiating is around ball park of what they should be getting. Some people don't give a rats about bargaining and just want to sign and get a car, whilst others enjoy the haggling come every time they go out to purchase a new car (which for some of us is few and far between).

Finally, may I add that for most vendors out there, the internet has such a wealth of information that they better make sure their staff know the product inside out. Particularly for those on this forum we usually do our research first.

Now to get some Swissvax product for the baby...