PDA

View Full Version : 8-way (4-way) adjustable driver's seat in GTI and Leather option

metrolex
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I wanted to express a couple of bug bears of mine about Golfs generally and Australian-specified GTIs in particular:

1. The Leather option for Golfs is second rate, given it costs $2,990 in Mark V Golfs (and $3,300 in the Mk VI).

For $3k, is it unreasonable to expect leather (not vinyl) on the centre armrest, if not the doors as well? The steering wheel and gear shift are already in leather in most models.

2. At $40k, the GTI should have an 8-way (ie tilt AND height) adjustable driver's seat.

Motorising the lumbar support has little utility when compared with a tilt function. And I would gladly trade a motorised lumbar adjustment (and/or heated seats) for a tilt function.

But in any event, an 8-way adjustable seat should be standard in GTIs (if not Comfortlines too), and motorised when leather is specified.

Indeed, the GTI pictured in the report in the SMH (4/4/2009) has an 8-way power driver's seat. Why not in Australian GTIs too? The current Tiguan has an 8-way power seat a well. And Mk V GTIs in the US (~$USD22,000) have an 8-way driver's seat.

If you're thinking of acquiring a Mk VI GTI, you might want to lobby VGA to ensure Australian cars are specified with an 8-way seat.

guliver_twist
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Be Glad that you can get a GTI here! It's Australia afterall. NZ even has the scirroco. Personally I don't see it as a big deal..Once I set my seat I generally don't move it (be it automatic or manual, its more of a gimmick than a must have feature in my opinion)...

The VW accessories are generally overpriced (it's how they increase their bottom line)...
E.G. ipod + gps + VW original bluetooth with full MFD integration will set you back over 5k... even BMW or Mercedes come out as a bargain at far less than that for the same features..

With what they charge for the leather here, the dash should be covered in it as well and it should have 0 PVC..

The problem is that anything European is marketed as premium/luxury here, and priced as such..

Don't like it, move to the US(they seem to have the best prices cars anywhere) or don't by euro cars.

Good Luck with passing your views to VW Aus.. (slapping on 10K of accessories on more than half of the VW Golf MK VI that have come here seems to be their strategy of how the brand is marketed to Australian conditions of course)..Since we will pay TOP dollar here for anything European and money grows on trees picked by kangaroos.

LOL

metrolex
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Be Glad that you can get a GTI here! It's Australia afterall. NZ even has the scirroco. Personally I don't see it as a big deal..Once I set my seat I generally don't move it (be it automatic or manual, its more of a gimmick than a must have feature in my opinion)

Yes, I agree; motorised seat adjustment is a gimmick, especially if it does not have memory settings. However, my main concern is the lack of a tilt adjustment which longer-legged driver's need. Once you've had a car with tilt on the driver's seat (my 1997 V40 had it), you don't want to be without it. In 2009 it should be standard on cars that start at $40k.

mikinoz
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Sorry, but this seem a duplicated thread from the one in the MKV section.

If you wish to discuss this, please do so in a single thread.

No users on here can change VWA's opinion on specifications, however if you are passionate about it, taking it up with them is the best idea and reposting your findings for people to evaluate.

Cheers.