PDA

View Full Version : Superb test drive.

wombatoutofhell
04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Out of the blue on Friday I got a call from Bayford Skoda where I bought my car. "We have the Superb from the motor show for the next few days and were wondering if you feel like taking it for a drive?" Well that's a bloody silly question-of course I would!
So today I went in and had a drive. The Superb was the Ambition model with the 1.8 TFSI and 7 speed DSG. There was a little chat about some of the features and a demonstration of the 2 piece tailgate/boot, but then it was mine for a while. Oddly, the dealer didn't come with me.
The first thing that hit me was how roomy it was-with the seat all the way back I could barely reach the pedals (i'm a shade over 6 foot tall) and there was still room in the back for an adult. The space would compare well to a Commodore or Falcon.I was impressed by how solid and how well put together the car was-but it's a Skoda and we expect that.
The engine was a surprise. I know the 1.8 TFSI is a gem but this is a big heavy car. The engine didn't seem to know about power to weight ratios and performed well. It's not going to win many drag races but it does the job. The engine does rev a bit through the gears which makes it feel like you're going faster than you actually are. It did seem to labour a little uphill but not enough to worry about.
The DSG was also very good-I've never driven a better automatic. Shifts were clean and smooth both in Auto or Manual mode. It seemed to match the engine very well. Only complaint was if you floor the go pedal the engine revs but the DSG hesitates before dropping a gear or 2. Annoying but fairly normal in most auto's I've driven.
Ride was good, very little road noise, steering was very similar to the Octavia. Handling seemed pretty good and it stuck to the wet roads well.
Inside was a nice place to be. Full leather interior, front and back seats heated, god knows how many speakers (we found 10) and touchscreen radio. A nice touch was the lumbar support in both front seats. Not only could you adjust the pressure (electronically of course) but you could also adjust the height and put pressure in a different spot. Instruments were easy to read and the steering wheel was comfortable to use. Main complaint here is the drink holders in the centre console. They are close to the driver with the handbrake lever on the passenger side of the console. This means in manual mode you reach accross the drinks to change gear-and if there happens to be a bottle in there (like the water bottle my daughter put in) your forearm hits it every time.
So no real complaints although I wouldn't go for the 1.8 myself. This is a fairly luxurious car and the engine just sounds too revvy and small for it. I'd go for the V6. I mentioned to the dealer that if it came as a wagon this would be a winner as a family car. He said to wait until next year-it could be happening.
Would I buy one? Well-no as it's no longer the sort of car I need or want. But if I was where I was 4 or 5 years ago with 3 kids and the need for a large car-then yes I would. On price, size and standard equipment it compares well with the Holden Berlina (as long as you settle for the 1.8 ) and as a wagon I would have found it hard to resist. But where I am now I'll keep the RS. I told the salesman I had no intention of buying one when he rang, but they weren't selling-they were evaluating which is why they were ringing existing customers. Anyone else get a call? All I had do do after was answer 5 simple questions and was on my way. Not a bad way to kill a Saturday arvo!

woofy
05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I've had the Richmond guys say they'll get me in for a drive....probably won't have time at the moment though.

code618
05-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Good initial review. I reckon they are a smart choice as a large car.

Without wishing to infer negative conotations associated with 'Fleet' cars, something like a 1.8 Superb would be a far better choice (as a comparable sized car) than a Commodore or Falcon in terms of fuel costs. The company I work for has a large fleet of either Falcons or Commodores - the fuel bill must be massive. I realise fleet discounts are a big factor but environmentally its a no brainer. Thoughts anyone....?

wombatoutofhell
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Good initial review. I reckon they are a smart choice as a large car.

Without wishing to infer negative conotations associated with 'Fleet' cars, something like a 1.8 Superb would be a far better choice (as a comparable sized car) than a Commodore or Falcon in terms of fuel costs. The company I work for has a large fleet of either Falcons or Commodores - the fuel bill must be massive. I realise fleet discounts are a big factor but environmentally its a no brainer. Thoughts anyone....?

The 1.8 Superb would be good-but chances are the diesel would be better environmentally and for fuel costs. I thought the Camry was the fleet buyers car of choice these days?

Ssom
15-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I took some time to check out a 2.0 TDI 125 model a few weeks back. Very nice car inside, but I noticed that although there is a lot of legroom in the back, the hip room for 3 adult sized passengers in the back is not nearly as good as an Aussie six. Took the shine off an otherwise very practical car.

zjm
21-06-2009, 08:50 PM
when you do the math you can buy a lot of fuel with the money you save buying a ford or holden especially with the deals you can get these days

Jake02
21-06-2009, 09:06 PM
For me, I think the Superb (and forthcoming Superb Estate) would be the ideal family car for Australia. Think about it, the Ambition 1.8TSI is only around $3,000 more than the base Commodore Omega. Imagine all the extra stuff you get for that little amount (7-speed DSG, half the fuel costs, the extra equipment - dual climate, 3 extra airbags, split-folding rear-seats, bigger boot, the Twindoor etc -, Euro quality/finish and abit of a difference to the 'norm'.

Skoda deserve to sell every one they bring in, the quality cannot be beaten!

jacob_1987
22-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Not sure $47,000 (base model superb) seems rather expensive... but then again versus a Passat ($70,000+) seems relatively cheap.

For around $33,000 you can get a falcadore, drive away. Thats $14,000 difference and I doubt you will save that in fuel costs over 4 years. I wouldn't think it's a threat for the falcon or commodore. And the Octavia isn't the biggest car or exactly the most ideal car for a family with 2/3 kids. Don't get me wrong the Superb seems like a great car, very good looking. But for the pricing I don't think it will be a hit for families, fleets or those looking for a luxury car with a prestigous name.

I think Skoda really should define who their target audience is? Octavia too small, Superb too expensive and adjust their pricing.

brad
22-06-2009, 08:52 AM
when you do the math you can buy a lot of fuel with the money you save buying a ford or holden especially with the deals you can get these days
But a falcadore is only a 40,000km ownership proposition. After that the shocks are buggered, the brakes need major work, rattles & squeaks everywhere. My wife has had 15 falcodores in 20 years & each one is starting to show its age after 40,000km.

jacob_1987
24-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Ok, that is somewhat true ( not sure about the new models )... but what about the price/pricing, why so high?

brad
24-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok, that is somewhat true ( not sure about the new models )... but what about the price/pricing, why so high?

New model hoping to get the cashed-up early adopters?

Octavias were overpriced to billy-o when they first came out. Trade-ins were low, no fleet discount. When I first considered Octavia in November '07they were more expensive than the equivalent Golf. 9 months later the trade-in had gone up $4k & they were doing drive-away, no more to pay prices.

jacob_1987
25-06-2009, 03:03 AM
yeah, i suppose so... but how much can they rationally come down?
I'd prefer really the Octavia to be mid 20's, Superb Mid 30's and up ...

I think it'd make sales better also Octavia for small families, old people, fleet

Whilst Superb Mid 30's would target Large families, smaller business owners,and fleet.

I'm not sure how Skoda price their cars but you are right, they are rather expensive.

davidh
25-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure how Skoda price their cars but you are right, they are rather expensive.

Since the price was announced back in Feb/March, the Aussie dollar has improved about 10% against the Czech currency. That would suggest it is currently overpriced by close to $5000. Knocking that off the price would make it more attractive.

maca
29-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I reckon they could also have a winner with the Estate (if it looks like this):
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/2010_skoda_superb_wagon_preview_00203129-1.jpg
Although they could've slanted the tailgate a little so it had a more flow on effect :)

micko
09-07-2009, 02:25 PM
When I heard Skoda was coming to Oz I was keen to have a look at the Octavia RS as in the UK its quite a bit cheaper than equivalent Golf GTI (3500-4000 pounds), in the UK they are a performance bargain, but in OZ there isn't much difference in price, hence people will buy a GTI which is a known brand with a known resale rating. As a second hand car though, the RS will be a great buy. Sorry, off topic!!

pinzvidz
26-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Popped into Gold Coast Skoda yesterday arvo to finally meet John (who looks after Skoda sales and sold my dad an awesome Octavia RS) and got the chance to have a look at the Superb. They have a couple in stock at present. Didn't have time to go for a test drive, but had a bit of a look at both cars. Wow, absolutely beautiful motor vehicles!

The more and more I see Skoda product, the more and more I'm impressed. I feel they're even better than already impressive VW badged product. This is coming from someone who has worked in many different dealerships for over 20 years.

And btw, I highly recommend anyone chasing a Skoda to see John at GCS, he's a great bloke to get along with. :clap:

Jake02
26-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I reckon instead of lowering the price, they should add stuff as standard (especially compared to Skoda NZ - the stuff they get is fit for a king, and the price is hugely similar to the Aus range). The Superb should get a manual tranny option (for maybe $2,490 less on the TSI/TDI), as well as leather trim as standard equipment on the Elegance non-V6 (especially starting from $48k).
The Octavia shouldn't be changed (apart from the 1.4TSI to replace the 1.6MPI) but I think the Roomster price could be lowered, as well as stuff added as standard (16" Atria wheels as standard etc).

Oh btw Micko, the Aus Octavia RS has ALOT more stuff as standard than the UK (I went to the Skoda UK car builder, and the price to Aus-spec was equivalent to about $4,000 more than what we pay) such as the alarm, curtain airbags, 18" wheels, heated seats etc. And I'm sorry but the Octavia RS is a clear winner over the GTI. Same performance, alot more room and its cheaper. It's not possible to argue against that!

Oh yeah, I took a Superb V6 for a drive at my dealer. Its FANTASTIC!!! So much quicker than my RS, yet so much more relaxing and modern! Wow, I'm impressed! :D

woofy
27-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't think NZ do better than us, their RS cost nearly 50k, although with their crap dollar maybe it works out better.

davidh
28-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I had a test drive 2 weeks ago and ordered a Superb Elegance (1.8TSI). I have to wait until at least October because I couldn't resist ordering it with leather, sat nav, solar sunroof and park assist. First one sold in Perth, but won't be first one on the road. They didn't have any with my wish list in Australia, so it has to be made for me.

I think that sat nav and/or leather should become standard in the Elegance, but the dealer didn't agree when negotiating price. They gave me a good trade-in price, though. And Perth is the most expensive drive-away price in Australia.

Jake02
28-07-2009, 10:10 PM
davidh:
Congrats man. The Superb really is a fantastic car! Lol at your option list - thats quite alot more...but it should be awesome when you get it!

I'm quite arty, so I designed a 2012 Octavia and I'm planning to send it in to Skoda Aus. Also attached with that are suggestions to as what I think they should do (I've put it into three areas of improvements - Dealers - more, some in dealer hotspots, Ads - like the Roomster pic with the surfboard on top in actual surfing mags - and the Cars themselves - what stuff should be added to the spec for no extra cost and also what stuff is standard on NZ-spec cars which are the same price as here), the specs I think the Fabia (when it arrives) should adhere to, the same with the Yeti and a Roomster re-spec/price-lowering.

Are there any suggestions that you guys think I should put in? Eg davidh suggests that sat-nav/leather should be standard on the Superb Elegance (which I've already put in actually). I'm gonna send it in about a week so if you think something should be done then drop us a comment and I'll be glad to put it on!

gregozedobe
29-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think NZ do better than us, their RS cost nearly 50k, although with their crap dollar maybe it works out better.

You have to be careful comparing cars from different markets - we get more stuff as std fitment than NZ & UK for example (IIRC our vRS has 'leccie rear windows as std, theirs doesn't, and I'm sure there is some other stuff as well). As is so often the case, the devil is in the detail.

woofy
29-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah something that surprised me was that not only the passenger but all windows are auto up and down...from the drivers controls ...haven't tested the rear ones at the switch itself.

Jake02
29-07-2009, 09:59 PM
woofy - have you tried the Global Close? If not, hold unlock for a few seconds and the windows go down until a point you want them to. Hold lock to do the opposite :D

gregozedobe
30-07-2009, 02:29 AM
There's lots of goodies available if you have the full height MFD/maxidot eg auto closing of windows and sunroof if it rains :biggrin:

woofy
31-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah global close is in lots of cars...my parents old Maxima did that...but auto up down for all windows I have never seen before...really handy strangely enough...