PDA

View Full Version : quick one mk3 read door speakers loom ?

diveboy
02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Where can i patch into the wiring for the rear speakers ?

i pulled the trims off tonight can confirm that there is no speaker cabling in the door.

can someone point me to where I can find the factory wiring to splice into ? or is it easier to run it round to the head unit ?

Thanks in advance

Michael.

glidn
02-04-2009, 08:57 PM
bugger,

if you asked this three days ago, i would have been able to check fo you.
However my car is back together again.

Otherwise running a new wire from the head unit to the rear doors would be the answer. You will have to drill the molex plugs on the doors make sure you dont nik the Air line to door lock, or your central locking will not work.

Lorenz
03-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Most MK3s didnt come with rear speakers even though the space is there for them. You will have to run speaker wire from the doors, through the door plug and under the carpet or in side the side runner plastic up to the headunit to get them working. Dont think they will work very well with the standard headunit though as its designed for 2 front speakers not fronts and rears.

Theres a how to on this forum aswell, do a quick search for the very handy DIY ;)

diveboy
03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks.

the factory head unit was the first thing removed. :blowtorch:

I cut up a universal wiring harness adapter and plugged into the Golf harness. I was hoping to just splice out near the doors from the main wiring harness but if thats not likely to happen, then I guess I should book an appointment to the chiropractor for monday.

oh the joys.

will have a search but if it's just running the wiring, I am leant on that but never done a golf.

diveboy
04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
pulled all the trims off and had a good look.

how do you feed the speaker cable through to the door since it's got the plug and socket set up on it ?

is it possible to squeeze it in near the air hose for the central locking ? or can I buy some plugs from VW to put my own wiring on the plugs on both sides?

thanks in advance.

Lorenz
04-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I ended up drilling a hole through one of the spare holes in the plug where all the wiring and central locking hose goes to get my speaker wire though. I tried another way but couldnt get the plug back on again properly so refed the wiring through the plug. Its fiddly and time consuming, but well worth it in the end :D

diveboy
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks

i did a bit of looking, looks like jaycar sell jst crimps, these look like they will fit in the existing harness plugs instead of drilling holes in it. (I'm one that likes to do no damage to cars, so they can be reverted to original if needed)

http://jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_13035.jpg

might grab them during the week, it will give me a project for the easter weekend.