PDA

View Full Version : Elsawin - where do I get it and ....?

swetech
01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi guys
Can anyone tell me where to get this Elsawin ? How much is it, does it cover even the Transporters (T4 is what I'm interested in). Is it very comprehensive, is it just text and tables or does it have illustrations as well ? I've seen it being offered as torrents but it's a huge download and I'm also wary of viruses that are rampant on just about anything offered as a torrent. So, is it money well spent or .... ?

Thanks

swetech

Greg Roles
01-04-2009, 03:24 PM
It's very worthwhile, and you can indeed download older versions illegally on torrents etc, or even get a dodgey set off e-bay if you look. They do work, but it's definately pirated.

Personally having seen the few versions available, and having a copy of eslawin as well, I found my money spent on the real online ERWIN as the best by far. Far more information available online than the Elsawin CD version, such as VW service training, books that go into your vehicle design and function rather than just a typical manual, which is what Elsawin basically is. Just make sure you read the thread on this online service if you choose to try it, and go in knowing all your car's codes for type, engine, trans etc, as it's all arranged that way. Have a printer, or a way of copying the time encrypted PDF files ready, and you'd be mad to try it on a slow internet connection.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/DSCF2139-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/DSCF2084-1.jpg

The coloured books are VW tech training modules from Erwin and the B&W are typical manuals, which you can get off Elsa.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/DSCF20771-1.jpg

Golf Houso
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
http://www.torrentz.com/search?q=Elsawin

RhysQ
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
i was using elsawin tonight at my mates place! pretty awesome program.

mikepologti
03-04-2009, 12:32 AM
which version of elsawin has the 2006-2008 polo gti in it?

idaho
01-06-2009, 01:02 PM
It's very worthwhile, and you can indeed download older versions illegally on torrents etc, or even get a dodgey set off e-bay if you look. They do work, but it's definately pirated.

Personally having seen the few versions available, and having a copy of eslawin as well, I found my money spent on the real online ERWIN as the best by far. Far more information available online than the Elsawin CD version, such as VW service training, books that go into your vehicle design and function rather than just a typical manual, which is what Elsawin basically is. Just make sure you read the thread on this online service if you choose to try it, and go in knowing all your car's codes for type, engine, trans etc, as it's all arranged that way. Have a printer, or a way of copying the time encrypted PDF files ready, and you'd be mad to try it on a slow internet connection.

The coloured books are VW tech training modules from Erwin and the B&W are typical manuals, which you can get off Elsa.

Have you managed to open any of the wiring diagram manuals from Erwin? I took the 1 day Eur21 option and I could get pretty much anything except the wiring diagrams. They would start to load but then fail every time although you could get the index.

It was also interesting to note that you can look up the service history of a VIN. Ours was showing the delivery date but that was all as it hasn't had the first service yet.

logger
04-10-2009, 06:30 PM
...money spent on the real online ERWIN as the best by far. ....<snip>....
Just make sure you read the thread on this online service if you choose to try it, and go in knowing all your car's codes for type, engine, trans etc, as it's all arranged that way.

Hey Cogdoc I am about to give erwin a go as I have 24 hours clear. Can you point me to the "thread on this online service" so I can read up on it. Is it here in these forums or in erwin itself? I have every thing else in place to save my copies etc.

Transporter
04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Cogdoc I am about to give erwin a go as I have 24 hours clear. Can you point me to the "thread on this online service" so I can read up on it. Is it here in these forums or in erwin itself? I have every thing else in place to save my copies etc.

I don't think that you can save it, you will have to print it out.
Use laser printer it prints faster from PDF files (they're sealed or were sealed when I did it 2 years ago). Unsealer program is here. (http://www.mediafire.com/file/xcik2d2yjzm/smUnsealer3_3_10_1_EN.exe) Make sure that you have enough of paper and toner cartridge (ink).

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do;jsessionid=AD69EA98B76F5E9D7463C4944B1 086D0.ASTPVWE2

logger
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
My 24 hour erwin flat rate is up.
You can actually save them if you are cunning and print them to FoxIt PDF Creator or trap & print the Spool files. Although the Oracle spdf system blocks pretty much all other print to file methods. I ended up saving PDF electronic copies and then Printing out hard copies of these:
No.234 Vehicle batteries.pdf
No.334 The fuel system in FSI engines.pdf
N0.359: 1,4l TSI Engine with Dual-charging <<< Missing this One in PDF
No.374 Traction Control and Assist Systems.pdf
No.390 The 7-speed Double-clutch Gearbox 0AM.pdf
No.405 1.4l 90kW TSI Engine with Turbocharger.pdf
No.419 The Scirocco 2009.pdf
No.422 Mobile Phone with Bluetooth.pdf
No.423 The Golf 2009.pdf
No.444 The Polo 2010.pdf

Was unable to take a PDF copy of the 1.4 dual charger due to an issue with the file layout. So out of frustration afterwards I took a look on the torrents and found a 700mb file containing 293 vw study guides including the one I was missing and a heap of other interesting stuff! So when I was getting my printouts bound at officeworks I grabbed all this, so now I have all the PDFs I wanted and some.

BTW, erWins printing to file restriction is only on the study guides. You can fill your boots and merrily print to adobe PDF as much of the Maintenance Manual and WorkShop Manual as you want. I got most of the Maintenance Manual which is relatively small and just grabbed some parts of the WM that interest me. It is much larger.

Overall the process is a pain the backside for casual users. So for my $50 I have ended up with some study guides which are pretty shallow and some useful stuff out of the online manuals. I wont be rushing back into erwin unless they change their setup or I win Tatslotto :P:P It would be a great resource to have permanent access though.

logger
12-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Can someone who has access to the genuine Elsawin in a VW service dept comment on how the content differs from Erwin. It is not that I want to get an Elsawin knock off or anything. It is more that I want to know if the same content can be found in Erwin of if the latter is missing important stuff.