PDA

View Full Version : Cupra power steering

Cupra
01-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Driving home yesterday in the rain & as I turned into a couple of streets, mainly left hand turns the power steering on the cupra loaded up. It wasn't like a total failure, just enough that I had to take my hand of the gear stick & use both hands on the wheel. As I rolled off the steering lock to straighten up I had full assistance again. Checked the car when I got home & all seemed good. Driving to work this morning in the p*****g rain without any problems until I pulled into the car park & drove through water about 3-4 inches deep while turning & lost all power assistance. The car is parked but I haven't had a chance to check it over yet, had to preflight an aircraft in the rain early this morning (never a fun thing) & then the army cancelled the task :brutal:

Any ideas?

Phil

william
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
hey phil

have you checked the level in the reservior?
i have some fluid if you want to flush it out and change it
let me know how you go give us a buzz 0405243154

Cupra
01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Yep all full with no leaks, had a play with the car here at work & have full power steering from startup with the car stationary. About to head home & see what happens :eek:

Cupra
01-04-2009, 04:35 PM
just drove it home on dry roads without any problems, all seems normal. :duh:

Golf Loon
01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Is the lower cover under the belt present and correct?

Cupra
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Is the lower cover under the belt present and correct?

Good question, well asked!......I'm not sure what cover you are refering to Matt? But I suspected some sort of loss of drive to the pump due to belt slipage but didn't hear anything that sounded like a slipping belt. When you look under the front of the car you can clearly see all the belts, always have been able to from memory. Just had a look & all the belts are exposed, when you look in from the RH wheel you can clearly see the lower pulley through the gap & when turning left the RH wheel is pointing at the lower front pulley ( power steering pump drive). Would this be enough for the belt to slip under pressure from the water spray?

Phil

Golf Loon
01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes there is a plastic cover that stops water getting on the power steering belt.

I have heaps of em if you want one, it just clips in.

Cupra
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks Matt, looks like I'll have to bring the car for a run to Camden...:biggrin:

Golf Loon
02-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I`ll be at the shop in Campbelltown Saturday am if you feel the need.
And in the morning on Good Friday...