PDA

View Full Version : do it right or be lazy ? mk3

diveboy
30-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm looking at putting a set of rears in to the doors. was thinking of using Alpine SPS-600 in the rear http://www.alpine.com.au/products/images/normal/SPS-600.jpg

and in the front using Alpine SPS-600C http://www.alpine.com.au/products/images/normal/SPS-600C.jpg

is worth going with the splits in the front and dropping the tweeters into the original dash locations ?

or should i got with 2 lots of SPS-600's ?

no amp yet and not really on the agenda for a while, just want to drop some speakers in now that will still be sweet sounding in a few years.

How hard is it to get to the tweeters on the mk3 dash (sorry, waiting on my bently to arrive).

Mrk_Mickey
30-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey dude, first of all I wouldn't go with alpine purely because you can get better for your money.

I went with Kicker, but the better option for me at the time was JL Audio. Alpine are okay once you get into the better range of stuff but you really pay for the brand...I remember paying $185 per pair for my Kicker KS series 6.5" splits. The JL ones were about $40 more I think.

Oh and I'll try and dig up the thread for you...I was lazy with my install but it STILL hasn't screwed up (one year or so) so you gotta be happy with that! I mounted the tweeters at the front in the dash with a piece of metal I bought and bent from bunnings lol...

Mrk_Mickey
30-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Argh there's no pics of them in my thread! I'm going to take pics now haha :D

Here we go. The bracket that was bought from bunnings was like...2.63 if I remember rightly! We just grabbed two sets of pliers, bent right-angled bits accordingly, and screwed it into the dash.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/tweeter-1.jpg

VDUBD
30-03-2009, 09:45 PM
yea i put splits in the front doors and they blew up... but now i just got 4way 6.5" in the front and rear doors and they work a dreamm. it really depends on how much you are willing to spend, my whole system is sony but it kills my mates kicker system in his wrx and my mates JBL in a commodore. one day ill take a good pic haha

diveboy
30-03-2009, 09:52 PM
all valid points.

will shop around a bit over the coming weekend I think.

just worried bout buying a set that dont fit nicely and then having to butcher them to get em in the door.

diveboy
30-03-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks for the quick photo post.

nice and easy by the looks.

Mrk_Mickey
30-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah mate, a very simple fix to what I initially thought would be heaps of fabrication work :)

MattyT
30-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I have fairly good gear in my car and it sounds like toss. I'm jealous of you guys with your cheap systems that sound good!!

VDUBD
30-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I have fairly good gear in my car and it sounds like toss. I'm jealous of you guys with your cheap systems that sound good!!

haha urs cant b that badd. btw just redid my sub box last week, and sounds better then it was and new 6x9 cos the last ones blew. ill take some fotos soon and for those in perth feel free to listen ahah

Mrk_Mickey
31-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Mine wasn't cheap lol...it's cost just under 2k including the crappy kenwood headunit. It just adds up... :duh:

I've done it right, and only once though :D

VDUBD
31-03-2009, 09:19 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/164/2781/25408890096_large.jpg
thats my boot install, looks uneven but i cant hold camera square haha.

glidn
01-04-2009, 07:57 AM
well i guess i can shed some light on the subject seeing, i have already replaced my front stage in my vr6 golf 5 times and i have only had the car for around 1.5 months. lol

Those new series Alpine speakers honestly are not the best.
If you are dead set on the alpines however try and find some SPS-171A.
I have set of those in their currently.

The sound suprisingly good, they fit in the stock door location, but you have to cut majority of the plastic away behind the plastic grill, so the doors still look stock.

I have only mounted my tweeters in the top location as i'm wanting them out of sight at present, plus it's not the ideal place for sound, unless you have a cross-over that can run -6db attenuation on the tweeters. This will help with sound stage.

Also as the tweeter mounted in factory location before, i would strongly recommend against pointing it towards you like that. For the left tweeter basically angle it as far to the windshield as possible and also a little bit to the right side of the car. For the right side tweeter firing virtually upwards but angling it to the left side of the car. This should have with the staging in the car.

but best place to mount the tweeter in these cars i found was just above the mid on the door, there is a little flat recess you can mount it to and it point approx to the oppisite sides naval, that i found the best.

something else i can also strongly recommend is wiring the Tweeters out of phase to the mid. the tweeters generally lose the harshness if they have some and also makes the mid and tweeter blend better together.

VDUBD - crazy install man, gone way overboard their, i'm sure i can recommend two subs that will require approx 1/4 of the current boot space sound better, go louder and deeper but most of all you will actually have a boot. But in saying that i have also found firing the subs at the roof in a mk3 also seems to give the best results. No firing towards the boot here.

I'm not knocking your install, i just personally dont get why people want to take up their whole boot for two speakers/subs, when you can maintain full boot usage and have the same sound or better.

I'm a big fan of being able to still use my boot. lol

diveboy
01-04-2009, 09:52 AM
for the time being, i've replaced the standards in the front door with the 6.5 inch precision response from jaycar. not a bad sound out of them, just need to wire up the back doors now.

I'll look at something bigger later, for now it's nice sound for the daily drive.

Mrk_Mickey
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
My amplifiers are both Jaycar.... :) Great stuff for the money, because you pay for what you buy, not for brands or anything like that.

Spyda
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
for the time being, i've replaced the standards in the front door with the 6.5 inch precision response from jaycar. not a bad sound out of them, just need to wire up the back doors now.

I'll look at something bigger later, for now it's nice sound for the daily drive.

I have the same speakers, the kevlar stuff. They are great, espcialy for what i paid for them.

I also have the jaycar 1000rms mono block and im very suprised. My friend has 2 jaycar 1000rms mono blocks, running max all day for the past 1-2years with no problems. Well over 140db aswell.

It's not all about brands. Alpine is overrated, it only gets good when you get their best stuff and even then its not realy worth it.

DubSteve
01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not knocking your install, i just personally dont get why people want to take up their whole boot for two speakers/subs,

But I'm so gangsta that I will do that with just a 10" sub.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/DSC_0137-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/DSC_0138-2.jpg

Mrk_Mickey
01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
But I'm so gangsta that I will do that with just a 10" sub.

Any excuse, eh Steve.... :nana:

DubSteve
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Any excuse, eh Steve.... :nana:

Damm straight homie!

glidn
01-04-2009, 03:27 PM
yeah nice install Dubsteve.

At least your boot is still usuable thou.

VDUBD
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
nahh i dun use my boot, so dont car if i have no boot space

Golf Houso
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Why do you VR6 people need aftermarket stereo's again :bluesbro:?

Mrk_Mickey
01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Why do you VR6 people need aftermarket stereo's again :bluesbro:?

Because hardly any of them have been left untouched like your one, and a lot of them didn't have as many speakers as it says it does hahahah:nana:

diveboy
10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
just an update.

good friday was put to good use!

now have 6.5inch splits from jaycar in the front doors(rear channel), replaced the tweeters in dash with 4inch splits (front channel) yet to mount the tweeters on the front pillers).

have ran all the amp wiring down to the boot and have got 6.5 inch woofers going into the back doors (rest of the easter weekend to get it all under the trim and mounted up). going to make a board for the amp and mount it on the left side of the boot.

have to put it back together tomorrow morning to drive somewhere, then fix it up tomorrow night.

might add, the sound is so much better already with out the subbys mounted, can't wait to get them in the rear doors and have a good listen.

also found an ignition power source while replacing the alarm in it, is good having the radio switch off with the engine, but then, can't listen to it with out the ignition on. might have to come up with something.