PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove the front bumper cover?

Golfer
01-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Ummmm... I'm feeling pretty stupid. I tried the other day to remove the front bumper cover, undid just about everything i could find and i still couldn't get it off. As i'm sure most of you guys have taken them off several times i thought i might trouble someone for a step-by-step maybe even some pics for the tough bits.

Thanks in advance guys...

Cheers
John :confused:

Golf Loon
01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Lie on the road in front of your car. There are some 10mm bolts along the underside of the bumper looking up, might need to move the two black grilles. 5 bolts all up I think.

Then remove the plastic covers next to your indicators, gently with a small screwdriver. 2 More bolts. Disconnect indicators now.

Check its not attached to the wheel arch liner on each side, grab it and firmly pull towards you.

If it wont come there are more bolts.

Hope that helps you Golfer :)

WEDEL.1
01-12-2006, 09:36 PM
This sort of thing would be great in a step by step procedure with pics...

Maris

Tim
05-12-2006, 08:28 AM
i just removed mine yesterday. Its pretty easy once u know how.

remove the grille. it just unclips
remove three bolts on the top of the bumper.
in the front air dam if u look up there are another three bolts. remove those.
at either side of the car just in front of your front wheel there is one nut at each side which needs to be undone. its also attached to the wheel arch liner. just unpop the plastic thingies holding it in.
once u have removed all of the above it should pretty much just fall off

WEDEL.1
09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Does the grille & grille panel just pull out?

Maris

Golf Loon
09-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Does the grille & grille panel just pull out?

Maris

Gentle pushing with a screwdriver to release the clips and then yes just pulls out.

Golfer
09-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanx guys, i haven't had a go yet, no time...

Maybe tomorrow? :?

Cheers
John :cool:

rayray086
10-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Good post - planning to remove mine to do some touch-ups. Rear bumper removes similarly too?

By the way, for the earlier model Mk3's, does the textured mouldings on the bumper remove similarly to the side textured mouldings??

Golf Loon
10-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Rear bumper has 3 bolts at the top under covers, you can see when you lift the bootlid and some bolts underneath, looking up.

Bumper is one piece including textured piece on early Mk3

Golfer
14-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Wow, what a mission!!! I took off the bumper cover, but it took me hours, see some idiot had removed it before and cross threaded all but 2 of the bolts!!! Big problem...

So now finally i have removed all the stripped threads, snapped heads and seized bolts, retapped the threads with an M6x1.0 tap, and replaced the bolts with S6x20 bolts, thanks to the boys at southern cross fasteners.

Fan-bloody-tastic!!!

Sorry I didn't take any pics, or a step by step for you guys, the camera was not in action today. It's a shame, because i also owe you guys a pic of my airbox mods!

What a day :mad:

Glad it's done 'though...

Cheers
John :cool:

DubSteve
15-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey john if its possible to show us step by step of how to take it off because I want to do it to mine.

Golfer
15-12-2006, 10:56 AM
No worries Steve, I'm gonna have to take it off again soon and redo it to get the panel gaps right, i had to go to work so when i put it back together it was a bit of a slap up job.

Prolly tomorrow morning, stay tuned all...

Golfer
16-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry steve, things are a bit crazy at the moment. Not sure when i'll get a chance to do the step-by-step. Not too long though...