28-03-2009, 09:48 AM
GTD specs are up on Caradvice

127kW, 8.1s 0-100, 5.3 L/100.

Has GTI interior.. Nice!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/26862/2009-golf-gtd-diesel-flagship-preview/

Lima
28-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Gotta be quick. :nana:

More HERE (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/03/28/2009-volkswagen-golf-gtd.html) too.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/VWGolfVIGTD01s-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/VWGolfVIGTD02s-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/VWGolfVIGTD03s-1.jpg

Corey_R
30-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I've seen elsewhere that many people are upset that it doesn't look exactly like the GTI. But then if they did make it exactly like the GTI there'd probably be a lot of GTI owners that are upset that their cars look exactly like an oil burner!

I think the GTD is a great move. I'm sure there'll be lots of people in Europe who will buy this... I'm not sure in Australia though. There is still such a stigma attached to diesel. I'm not sure we're ready for diesel performance cars :/

Golf Houso
30-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I've seen elsewhere that many people are upset that it doesn't look exactly like the GTI. But then if they did make it exactly like the GTI there'd probably be a lot of GTI owners that are upset that their cars look exactly like an oil burner!

I think the GTD is a great move. I'm sure there'll be lots of people in Europe who will buy this... I'm not sure in Australia though. There is still such a stigma attached to diesel. I'm not sure we're ready for diesel performance cars :/

Ever been in a Golf GT diesel? They haul serious arse! The individual styling and fuel economy would be enough for people to consider this model.

Corey_R
30-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Ever been in a Golf GT diesel? They haul serious arse! The individual styling and fuel economy would be enough for people to consider this model.

Sure have. They're fantastic!
But we as Volkswagen enthusiasts aren't the people that VW need to convince. It's Mr General Public out there in Australia who for the past 50 years have looked at large capacity V8's and high-revving euro engines as 'performance' cars. Most of the public seem to be only starting to accept that modern small capacity 4 and 6 cylinder turbo engines can provide equal performance & smoothness as their big ol' V8's etc. I think telling them now that a 4 cylinder turbo diesel is also a performance car is a bit much for them to swallow....

That's at least the case in the areas I frequent :)

Golf Houso
30-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Sure have. They're fantastic!
But we as Volkswagen enthusiasts aren't the people that VW need to convince. It's Mr General Public out there in Australia who for the past 50 years have looked at large capacity V8's and high-revving euro engines as 'performance' cars. Most of the public seem to be only starting to accept that modern small capacity 4 and 6 cylinder turbo engines can provide equal performance & smoothness as their big ol' V8's etc. I think telling them now that a 4 cylinder turbo diesel is also a performance car is a bit much for them to swallow....

That's at least the case in the areas I frequent :)

Thats quite right, alot of people are still averted to diesels primarily from the noise and the smoke, both things which the newer model VW's seem to be reducing dramatically in every revision.

I also meet alot of people that find it hard to believe that 50-60hp can be made by a simple remap of a VW motor, and how cost effective it can be to improve performance at least in the short term. Let alone after I tell them about my friend's 270kw MKIV GTI :biggrin: This will definately be a nice addition to the MVI range.

Russ59
30-03-2009, 02:15 PM
According to the latest edition of the Volkswagen Magazine 2009 it says that every 2nd passenger vehicle sold by VW in 2008 was a diesel.

I think that should give you an idea of how popular the oilers have become and I don't think there is any doubt in most peoples minds that they're an excellent option to their petrol counterparts. :driver: :)

Russ

Corey_R
31-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah - but that counts the European sales where diesel has been a valid alternative for decades...

STV4SYT
31-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah - but that counts the European sales where diesel has been a valid alternative for decades...

In europe, petrol is now the alternative fuel, or pretty damn close.

I dont think that people are shying away from diesel here, certainly half of the Golf's i see on the roads are diesel.

I got to drive a GT petrol last week, in direct comparison to mine, and i have to say it doesnt go half as well until you really rev the out of it.

Russ59
31-03-2009, 10:06 AM
IMHO I think in general people are looking at the economy and reliability aspect of a diesel as well. As Steve tdi has just said, the fact that he felt he had to rev the guts out of the petrol GT to get real performance would have to be another + for the TDI. I know with mine that it doesn't matter how hard you drive it, even around town, it still averages no more than 7 L /100 km in fuel consumption and I only have 10,000 k's up so it should get even better. I doubt that the petrol models would do as well in comparison.

Russ

Russ59
31-03-2009, 10:12 AM

That counts for all VW passenger vehicle sales in 2008 (worldwide) that doesn't include the commercial range which no doubt would mostly be diesels anyway. Next time you're out and about keep an eye out for VW's and then look to see if they're petrol or diesel, I think you might get a surprise, because I know the majority of them that I've seen recently have been TDI's. It's an epidemic :driver: :biggrin:

Russ

tdi guy
31-03-2009, 10:47 AM
IMHO I think in general people are looking at the economy and reliability aspect of a diesel as well. As Steve tdi has just said, the fact that he felt he had to rev the guts out of the petrol GT to get real performance would have to be another + for the TDI. I know with mine that it doesn't matter how hard you drive it, even around town, it still averages no more than 7 L /100 km in fuel consumption and I only have 10,000 k's up so it should get even better. I doubt that the petrol models would do as well in comparison. Russ

Is the GTD engine the same as the GT TDI (it has 2kw more power)?

TG

PS - notice how I did not take the bait about the GT TSI, and respond about how sweet and smooth the twin-charger motor is, and how effortless the low end torque and the comfort of knowing the revs can climb so happily compared with a lumpy old tractor (oops, there I go, couldn't help myself...:))

gregozedobe
31-03-2009, 03:45 PM
notice how I did not take the bait about the GT TSI, and respond about how sweet and smooth the twin-charger motor is, and how effortless the low end torque and the comfort of knowing the revs can climb so happily compared with a lumpy old tractor (oops, there I go, couldn't help myself...:))

Ahh, but Russ is still well ahead on points, as he used the "IMHO" qualifier, whereas you didn't ;)

The VAG engine choices are getting more and more interesting, with the new CR engines coming soon (out already in the Skoda Octavia vRS), as well as the 1.8 TSI (turbo only engine) with maximum torque at only 1,500 rpm. The mk 6 GTI has the new chain driven cams engine too, with the promise of much more power in the AWD GTI-R (aka R20).

Russ59
31-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Is the GTD engine the same as the GT TDI (it has 2kw more power)?

TG

PS - notice how I did not take the bait about the GT TSI, and respond about how sweet and smooth the twin-charger motor is, and how effortless the low end torque and the comfort of knowing the revs can climb so happily compared with a lumpy old tractor (oops, there I go, couldn't help myself...:))

I wasn't actually bagging out the petrol GT either, just stating that the increase in diesel sales is IMO a sign of things to come. I think you'll need to prepare yourself for an influx of lumpy old tractors on our roads, because grease is no longer the word it's DIESEL :driver: :biggrin:

Greg Roles
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
It gets better. Twin turbo looking more likely! It mentions better than 150kw (200hp) and 352nm (260ftpd).

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Volkswagen-Golf/235190/

gregozedobe
01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Dontcha just love a little bit of brutal honesty ? ;)

This message has been deleted by Russ59. Reason: Going a bit mad

Russ59
01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Dontcha just love a little bit of brutal honesty ? ;)

I spend too much time on here that's the reason for my temporary insanity :moonie: :biggrin:

tdi guy
01-04-2009, 10:25 PM
For you, Russ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNrmfkRgjxo

TG

Russ59
02-04-2009, 10:39 AM
For you, Russ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNrmfkRgjxo

TG

Thanks TG

Russ

philthy
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
The engine on that thing seems really quiet. I can only hear tyre noise...

They are babying it though

Greg Roles
02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Yeah, even I got bored. Perhaps they've made it petrol quiet now? Fraid unless they bung in a twin turbo, well I won't be upgrading!

Russ59
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I thought the guy driving must have been lost, all he seems to do is go back and forth :duh: Maybe the GPS had carked it :)

stormshark
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know when released in Aus and how much these will be as i am about to buy a std tdi but may wait if reasonably priced.

Russ59
02-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know when released in Aus and how much these will be as i am about to buy a std tdi but may wait if reasonably priced.

From what I've read it's doubtful that they will reach Australia any time soon, maybe within a couple of years if we're lucky.

Russ

tdi guy
02-04-2009, 10:05 PM

You might consider a MKV GT Sport TDI (if you can find one)... the performance should be very similar to the GTD, and it will look more interesting than a MKVI Comfortline...

stormshark
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys, won't wait then... and hard to find GT- TDI mk5, dealers don't seem to want to know, must have none?

Russ59
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Not sure where you're located but there is one GT TDI manual on drive.com.au
in Sydney, here's the link - http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF/Sydney/detail.aspx?id=10966779&lid=10966779

Russ

mikinoz
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/VWGolfVIGTD01s-1.jpg

Do VW promise that my grill will have the same 'kaching' shinyness? :wasntme:

Russ59
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Do VW promise that my grill will have the same 'kaching' shinyness? :wasntme:

Photoshop is a wonderful tool :rolleyes:

STV4SYT
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys, won't wait then... and hard to find GT- TDI mk5, dealers don't seem to want to know, must have none?

There are still a handful around new for sale. If you are flexible with spec then you should get something.

tdi guy
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
There are still a handful around new for sale. If you are flexible with spec then you should get something.

Perth? http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF/Perth/detail.aspx?id=10919280&lid=10919280&pg=8&pp=0&d=0&nv=1&SG=1522972596&pt=1

TG

STV4SYT
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Id Sell mine, just had a change of job and pointless having such a good car sitting in the garage.

stormshark
03-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks Steve,Russ and tsi guy.. a great help,will take the advise, i am in Provincial Vic-will know do a "u turn" and talk no's tomorrow look at two GT TDIs next week, and make a decision on Tuesday, would prefer 125kw 08 than base tdi 09 if costs comparable.(might have to accept black however). Your input is really appreciated!

philthy
13-04-2009, 04:15 PM
The may 09 motor magazine mentions a 152kw twin turbo GTD... hmm, so is it one or two turbos? Minigolf?? :)...

Motor also mentions an "R20T" with 195kw, which makes me think they have no idea what they're talking about..:?

Lima
13-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Haven't heard anything about a twin-turbo GTD. Although 152kW is a transposition of 125kW???

In regards to the R20T, that naming has been ruled out (for the Golf, at least), but there are plans for a GTI (model name yet to be decided) running Audi S3 engine/drivetrain. This model will replace the R32.

Russ59
13-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Couldn't find anything about a twin turbo GTD, and it would appear that the main differences between the current GT TDI and the GTD will be the CR engine with slightly better economy and I would imagine a bit more refinement over the PD engine. I did read somewhere on the forum that VW were apparently considering a twin turbo diesel which would have pretty much removed the low rev turbo lag in the present model, but it may have just been talk. I guess time will tell, and who knows what surprises VW may have in store, of course whether we will see them in Australia is another story. :frown:

Greg Roles
14-04-2009, 08:20 AM
At this stage the twin turbo GTD engine is a rumour, but has been reported a few places, as well as in the Autumn 2008 VW magazine owners get where they interview the VW engineer behind it all. I hope it eventuates as well, but given the current climate, and poor car sales, I'm not so sure about it happening here, for a while anyway. Little doubt car salesmen are saying it won't happen, as they both don't know AND want to sell what they HAVE.

Post 15 in this thread for the link I found...

philthy
14-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Haven't heard anything about a twin-turbo GTD. Although 152kW is a transposition of 125kW???

In regards to the R20T, that naming has been ruled out (for the Golf, at least), but there are plans for a GTI (model name yet to be decided) running Audi S3 engine/drivetrain. This model will replace the R32.

Yeah, sorry, should have said that I was talking about the "r20t" name bit being wrong... maybe I'm nit-picking but I would have thought Motor would be on the ball.

Does VAG make a twin turbo diesel four for any other application? Would hate to see VW being outgunned by the new Hyundai tt diesels :nana:

Lima
14-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, sorry, should have said that I was talking about the "r20t" name bit being wrong...

Haha, I had a feeling that was what you meant. :duh:

gregozedobe
14-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Does VAG make a twin turbo diesel four for any other application?

AFAIK VW have made a few experimental TT 4 cyl TDIs, but so far haven't released them for general sale in any production vehicles.

Symo
14-04-2009, 05:45 PM
For those of you salivating about the GTD, go buy a second hand GT Sport TDI They have similar power spec to that reported on forthcoming GTD if it ever comes to OZ

Greg Roles
14-04-2009, 08:09 PM
UNLESS you want to hop it up. Common rail offers a HUGE advantage for powerups, as it can control the injection and mixing of fuel so much better. Gale Banks states another 25-30% is possible with mechanical injection, whereas common rail offers a sizeable 60%. It's ALL about the mix.

Also I thought the topic had turned to a possible twin turbo, which would be massively different to drive, no lag!