PDA

View Full Version : Suspension mods

clip
26-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Thought we need a thread just for this stuff.

Does anyone have any pics or links to pics of lowered Tig. I've searched the UK forum but couldn't find anything there. Be good to get a view from a few different angles etc.

I'm already getting the rear swaybar, but thinking I might as well get the whole deal while I'm at it. Just be good to talk to someone that's done it first.

(hurry up Pullstarter!!! :) )

clip
26-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Just found one - at the US H&R site - and it's a white one.

http://www.hrsprings.com/projects/detail/hr_tiguan

Pullstarter
26-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm trying Clipper LOL!!! Damn VW dealer here is hopeless, still no date on when I can even get the new Tig yet :( Below is a link to the ABT lowered Tiggy, I'm sure you've seen it before? Not to mention the ABT springs are about twice the price of the H&Rs :eek: Those H&R pics you've linked to may be with coilovers fitted? Looks a lot lower than the 30-40mm they advertise for the lowering springs?

http://www.motivemag.com/Content/uploads/1/abt_tiguan.jpg

EDIT: just read the blurb on their site, lowered 2" on coilovers, sounds expensive me thinks :(

clip
26-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Of course that's the next decision, springs or coilovers?

jayjay
26-03-2009, 10:48 PM
lol... trade in for golf?

Pullstarter
27-03-2009, 06:23 AM
I really don't think I'd go coilovers. I've had them in other cars before and they're very firm. Too firm for what I want out my Tiggy I think, I'm too old for hard suspension these days :biggrin:

Seano
27-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Talk to Whiteline http://www.whiteline.com.au/

Whilst they don't have anything listed for Tiguan they'd probably be able to help...

Can't honestly see why you'd want to lower one though. If you wanted one claos to the ground then I'd have bought a Passat!

Pullstarter
27-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Each to their own.

clip
29-03-2009, 05:56 PM
lol... trade in for golf?
There's a couple big problems with the golfs - at least for me:
1. GTi - front wheel drive!
2. R32 - almost as heavy as the Tig and no turbo to play games with
3. I can't drive either of them for more than an hour at a time because of the seating position. The Tig gives me the seat height off the floor that I need (after a series of bike accidents -260k/m come-off on the track, a slide down the side of Peachester range that was stopped by my back and rib cage, and then having a RAV4 plow straight thru me when I was sitting at the lights. The last one busted up my spine pretty badly).

4. but the real clincher is... neither of the Golfs can park themselves!!!

Pullstarter
29-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Even with a 2" suspension drop a Tiggy is still gonna have no probs even on fire trails etc, plus it has extra room :) For me its the carry-ability that was the clincher, I wanted a GTI for a long time but I gotta have room for fishing/mountain biking gear and not look silly with roof racks :)

Sharkie
31-03-2009, 07:58 PM
A Tiguan is just a 4WD GTI anyway .... :) ... a chipped Tiguan will beat a chipped GTI in a straight line easily .... :biggrin: ... none of that wasteful wheelspin ....

Somebody really needs to find a solution to the suspension. I'd like it dropped 30-40mm at least ......

Pullstarter
01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
H&R drop on lowered springs is 30-35mm, H&R coilover drop 30-55mm, ABT lowering spring drop 35-40mm. Just be aware the ABT springs are HIDEOUSLY expensive and as far as I've read no better than the H&Rs.

clip
01-04-2009, 06:45 PM
A Tiguan is just a 4WD GTI anyway .... :) ... a chipped Tiguan will beat a chipped GTI in a straight line easily .... :biggrin: ... none of that wasteful wheelspin .....
Well, don't know about a chipped GTI Sharkie, but there's certainly no competition with a stock one -poor bugger didn't know what was going on as I shot past, with him on full noise for sure too.

Pullstarter
04-04-2009, 07:27 AM
The torque with the APR chip is pretty huge too I think John? Certainly blitzes the torque of an XT Forester :)

clip
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
The torque with the APR chip is pretty huge too I think John?
yes, very big, makes it deceivingly quick.

I emailed Whiteline about springs the other day. Haven't heard back yet, but will let you know when I do.

Pullstarter
05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Spring-wise I think I'll probably go H&R but let us know how you get on with Whiteline. You already have a Neusepeed sway bar on yours yeah?

Tigga1
05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Spring-wise I think I'll probably go H&R but let us know how you get on with Whiteline. You already have a Neusepeed sway bar on yours yeah?

I do, and going by previous experience with Whiteline, would be weary to go with their products...had rear sway bar on Forester, no end of trouble till they finally admitted that rear mounting brackets were breaking off and need replacement:brutal:

took a long time and a few dollars to finally fix.

give me H&R or Neuspeed anyday!

look forward to whatever you guys are planning

Pullstarter
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
How do you find the Neuspeed swaybar? Did it make a lot of difference? I know it did on my VR6. I notice on their site they advertise some big mofo billet brackets that are like $160-odd a pair, do you have to buy these or does the standard kit come with everything you need?

Tigga1
06-04-2009, 06:51 PM
How do you find the Neuspeed swaybar? Did it make a lot of difference? I know it did on my VR6. I notice on their site they advertise some big mofo billet brackets that are like $160-odd a pair, do you have to buy these or does the standard kit come with everything you need?
sway bar is good, makes a BIG difference.
went through the 3 adjustments and ended up on stiffest setting after a few weeks. Firm but acceptably so. PRobably even better with firmer springs...:)
I wad indecisive about brackets, but when you see the difference, it all makes sense and is a given.
Seems a lot of money, but boy, they really look (and act the business)!
standard kit is just the bar, I think the brackets are a must, as the OEM ones are pretty ordinary.
hope this helps
Tigga

Pullstarter
06-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Tigga good info :) Those big mofo linkages make the whole deal a tad expensive tho :( Hopefully the AUD will keep going up some more :)

Tigga1
06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks Tigga good info :) Those big mofo linkages make the whole deal a tad expensive tho :( Hopefully the AUD will keep going up some more :)
guess I was lucky, bought them at old stock prices, just as the AU$ was bottoming out...:)

clip
06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I was quoted $780 for the Neuspeed bar and hangers (I agree that the hangers are a must too). Then I have to add freight costs from Neuspeed themselves that sounds v scary.