PDA

View Full Version : Tips on buying an MK4 R32

JohnnyWakko
18-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi all

I am new here, been surfing forums for a while.

I have been toying with the idea off getting myself a golf for some time now. I am getting closer to convincing my concience that I should get one. Finances in place, so all I need to do now is pick the right one. I am after a MK4 Golf, under
75,000KM's and around the $30,000 mark. Dealer sale preferable.

Besides all that, I have a 40 points check list for myself to go over general car stuff. \I have a fair idea of the things to look out of on Pre loved cars in general, so can anyone guide me to resources, threads, or share thier knowledge on specific or unique things to look out for when specificaly buying a MK4 R32 either from thier experience of others?
For example do they have typical areas of:
-Wear?
-Rattles?
-Rust?
-Is there a KM point when stuff starts to die?
-What is the major service KM's?
-What parts need to be replaces first, and how much are they? Are parts in general expensive?
-Anyway to tell if its been flogged?

Any knowledge would be ace.

thekraut
18-03-2009, 09:38 PM
-Wear? - Really depends on how much it has been cared for
-Rattles? - As above, and only a couple in my 65000km example
-Rust? - None hopefully!
-Is there a KM point when stuff starts to die? iono...not that many kms on it yet
-What is the major service KM's? 60,000km is a biggish one
-What parts need to be replaces first, and how much are they? Are parts in general expensive? - Not really too bad, a little more than jap equivalents, but, can you get a japanese MK4 R32 experience?
-Anyway to tell if its been flogged? - Check for body integrity, suspension, lift carpets to check for prior roll cage fitment

Lima
18-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Here's one you may be interested in. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260378290968)

It's on eBay and the seller is looking for a quick sale, or it gets handed back to the lease company.

The owner is known on VWvortex and is a pretty straight up guy. You could do a lot worse. :toast:

balkanac
19-03-2009, 01:23 AM
mine is getting close to 90,000km and im really happy with it. There are a few issues but that is my fault (trying to save money), apart from that the car is excellent! You won't regert it
P.S. Front brake pads and rotors are stupidly expensive from VW

gareth_oau
19-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I considered buying a Mk 4 R32 I think they are supurb, just the price at the time was outside of my budget.

before you commit, have a thing about an S3 as well - thats what I got a year ago, and still cant get this idiot grin off my damn face:biggrin:

thekraut
19-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Here's one you may be interested in. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260378290968)

It's on eBay and the seller is looking for a quick sale, or it gets handed back to the lease company.

The owner is known on VWvortex and is a pretty straight up guy. You could do a lot worse. :toast:

Pretty good price too ;) Scratches, marks, small dents and kerb damage can all be repaired/hidden at low cost too.

jasn78
19-03-2009, 12:13 PM
or guys comeon stick for a forum member jvlr32 has his for sale :)

Treza360
19-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey Mate and welcome to the forum. Have a look at the link I've posted below. Hopefully will help you out.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=23314
Cheers,
Trent

tomtom_r32
19-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I've had my .:R since early 2007, and has been great since.

Thought about the Mk5 Gti at the time, but wanted something rarer!!

Bought her with 39,000KM and now sitting around the 93,000KM mark.

Like most of the Mk4 R32 owners here, everytime you jump in and start the engine, you just grin at the wonderful sound of the exhaust note.

In terms of reliability, mine has been reliable since I bought her, minor mishaps but VW fixed her up under warranty. Just make sure it's serviced at the required intervals.

For the age of the car, its definately still a hot looking hatch. Esp sitting low on a nice set of BBS CH's lol. :driver:

Interior wise, nice, simple and refined. Love the seats, and love the thickness of the steering wheel.

I would def agree on the Blue R32 on Ebay for 25-27k, that is a bargain and heard that car has been well looked after.

If you keen on any Mk4 r32's out there, consult Mr Seb for any advice, as he has looked after mine since day one :).

Welcome to the forums and Good luck with your hunting and hope you get yourself into a .:R32!!!