PDA

View Full Version : T4 Problem

melissa
28-11-2006, 02:04 PM
My T4 has decided that it doesnt want to start, put the key in, turn, no lights on dash, no power windows, no seatbelt warning sound and constant turning over, not catching and starting. I was stuck in council carpark the other day and volkswagen assist first sent someone with battery charger pack saying it was my battery, he gets there and says nope, you have plenty of charge. I call them back, get them to listen over phone and then they send towies who can't get me out (unless they want to turn my into T4 Cabrio ;) ) so they have a fiddle with fuses and it starts! I then drive to dealer who aren't that keen at 10 mins to 4 on Friday afternoon, and seeing that she is going, I drive away with fingers crossed that the next time it happens, I will be able to be towed. Well, today she has done it again. I am currently waiting for towies now at home.
Phill (Syncro) has suggested it's the Ignition Switch...it's like it immobilised itself. I have tried using my other key, but no difference. Now I apologise in advance if anyone works at the dealer here in Newcastle but I have absolutely no confidence in them. They don't like me and avoid me, I am sure they hide when they see my Kombi pull in to the service area. I don't take it to them for servicing, its only from taking it back for warranty issues like power windows and airconditioning button and when they damaged my doortrim...I'll stop there, but you get my drift..

My mechanic doesnt want to do it as he has trouble getting the info from VW regarding electricals and I don't blame him. Now has anyone else ever had this problem or know what I should expect them to say is wrong?

DubSteve
28-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Get the VW mechanics to do a VAG test might help sought out the problem.

syncro
28-11-2006, 06:52 PM
VAG COM will just show no power from ignition.

T4er
18-04-2007, 01:11 PM
When it dose it again, as you r turning the key try grab the main harness that goes to your ign sw. & push & pull alittle. If the vehicle attempts to crank then reasonably easy to track down from there. Cheers.

Bora Sport
18-04-2007, 02:53 PM
I would be looking at the coil.

melissa
18-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the replies...it was a new ignition switch...pretty crappy after only 50,000Klms!

brackie
19-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Yes, Melissa...I couldn't agree more. We all go on about the quality of our VWs but an ignition switch should last a long time. Don't forget though that it depends how many times the engine has been started in that time...I mean you could drive continuously for 50,000km at Le Mans and only start the engine once! :rolleyes: Also it depends upon the state of your electrics as arcing over the points can severely shorten the switch's life. It wouldn't hurt to have the relay checked ;)

syncro
19-04-2007, 08:41 AM
It wouldn't hurt to have the relay checked ;)

Relay?

VW ignition switches usually fail mechanically more than electrically. The plastic casing either wears or cracks causing the contacts to shift.

Melissa had a heavy key ring.

Seano
19-04-2007, 08:42 AM
The ignition switch is a known weak spot in the T4. Along with the brake light switch. Huey only knows why.

My ignition switch had a sticky moment from the day of delivery but use has sorted that out but the brake light switch has been such a bane that I've got very good at dismantling it and repairing it...