PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust recommendations for Polo GTI

SidGTi
27-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm really keen on getting a beefier exhaust note on my lil GTI. Has anyone got any recommendations on places where i can get a decent exhaust? Probably not wanting to spend more than $1000 for a cat back system. I'm thinking though getting a performance exhaust upgrade would probably void the warranty wouldnt it?

Even a simple lowering job would also void the warranty as well correct?

Anyone here heard what the 1.8 turbo sounds like with a performance exhaust?

PoloGTi
28-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey i know of 2 places doing or working on an exhaust system one APR still in R&D but they may have a demo one for sale. The other is milltek the APR i think is $900 and is turbo back, and the milltek is a littel more cat back.
http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=201
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2856263&page=5 this is the add for the exhaust.

SidGTi
28-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks PoloGTi! :)

Wont be too long till APR have an off the shelf version of the exhaust for the Polo then if they're selling the R & D one! Should be worth the wait.

PoloGTi
28-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Yeah thats my thoery plus want traction and handeling first. The more stealth the better lol .

FL00DY
28-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Yeh I was thinking bout exhausts till Guy Harding started to do some engineering samples. I remember him stating that the Polo GTI exhaust was already pretty good and found it hard on the first samples to get more power. Not sure how much better a chip and exhaust combo would be though.

I'm trying to decide between Power vs handling.

GTIJNR
29-11-2006, 10:14 PM
the catback system on our polo is quite simple, i reckon a good exhaust shop can knock one up 4 u ( piping, 1 rear muffler + tips) for under 1K, go cannon type if u want noise havent seen 1 on a GTI yet lol n enjoy the drooning.
The original exhaust sys is gorgeously engineered, but ppls still tell u bigger is better on turbo charged car.
Warranty will b effected as it a performance upgrade, 1.8t sound good with exhaust but in the lil GTI hatch the standard system already has a fair bit of droonin, a bigger system will be irritatin i think. But if its good performance, whos care.

PoloGTi
29-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Bigger may not be better on our cars i think from what i have read and heard u need some back presure help spool turbo ect maybe?

GoLfMan
30-11-2006, 06:22 AM
my cousin in Canberra has a mate who builds awesome Mandrel bent custom Exhausts at a reasonable cost :) He got a full custom one for his S3 turbo back 3 inch (under a grand!) and he says it goes like a cut cat, he also took his old 206 GTi 180 to the same guy and got sizable power increases (for an exhaust) dyno proven... PM me and i will give you the number of the exhaust guy. :)

SidGTi
30-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! Much appreciated.

Probably not worth voiding the warranty then hey. I always thought yes a bigger exhaust would let it breathe better. I used to own a S14a 200SX and I upgraded the exhaust on that and the performance increase was quite substantial. 21kw gain from a turbo back HKS exhaust.

But yeah i just read that the APR R & D exhaust which is for sale just brought an additional 5kw gain in power. So maybe the stock exhaust is as good as it's going to get. :)

Looks like an APR ECU flash is the better choice. I love the fact that you can turn it on and off with the cruise control stalk and the service dealer will be none the wiser!

FL00DY
30-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! Much appreciated.

Probably not worth voiding the warranty then hey. I always thought yes a bigger exhaust would let it breathe better. I used to own a S14a 200SX and I upgraded the exhaust on that and the performance increase was quite substantial. 21kw gain from a turbo back HKS exhaust.

But yeah i just read that the APR R & D exhaust which is for sale just brought an additional 5kw gain in power. So maybe the stock exhaust is as good as it's going to get. :)

Looks like an APR ECU flash is the better choice. I love the fact that you can turn it on and off with the cruise control stalk and the service dealer will be none the wiser!The APR or GIAC flash is far and away the better option over an exhaust. 5kw really is pointless from an exhaust.

GoLfMan
30-11-2006, 09:21 PM
its not about the 5kw though, it breathes easier and as in my Cousins S3's case he can feel the difference in responsiveness and the like... your choice :)

SidGTi
01-12-2006, 06:57 AM
I've heard the 1.8 turbo with an exhaust and it sounds beastie!! I just happened to recently see a clip on google video. Call me a ricer if you will but exhaust drone doesnt annoy me. :D I would love to have it on my GTI. As I said though it's probably not worth voiding the warranty. Especially since I've just had the car for 6 weeks. ;) Perhaps something to consider after the warranty expires.

Does the S3 have the same 1.8 turbo? Or am I thinking thats the Audi A3 that has the same engine as the GTI?

FL00DY
01-12-2006, 09:19 AM
I've heard the 1.8 turbo with an exhaust and it sounds beastie!! I just happened to recently see a clip on google video. Call me a ricer if you will but exhaust drone doesnt annoy me. :D I would love to have it on my GTI. As I said though it's probably not worth voiding the warranty. Especially since I've just had the car for 6 weeks. ;) Perhaps something to consider after the warranty expires.

Does the S3 have the same 1.8 turbo? Or am I thinking thats the Audi A3 that has the same engine as the GTI?The prev model S3 had a 1.8T but it had a KO4 turbo. Our GTI's have the KO3.

Timbo
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Sound aesthetics are a matter of personal taste, but my understanding is there's little to be gained on the Polo GTI (or the Golf) due to the back-pressure requirement.

This is in contrast to the situation many people maybe used to regarding Japanese t/c cars, which are often deliberately constrained by exhaust flows from the factory, as a means of meeting the Jap mfrs 'gentlemen's code' on restricting output below 206 FWKw.:o

That's why you so often hear of people replacing the exhaust on a Skyline, EVO Lancer or WRX, and liberating quite a few ponies ;)

Vieussuex
02-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Here is a clip of google with a Milltek exhaust for the Polo Gti back:

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-1103445559199054815&q=polo+gti

I actually rang Milltek in the UK and ask them if there was much point going to a 3 " the said no unless ur planing on going to a K04 or larger turbo, so sticking to a 2.5" is the best option.

Also the price in the UK for the Milltek direct was approx £550 so it was like $1400aus *BEFORE SHIPPING*

If ur in Sydney im going to a place called HyperTune to get a quote supposedly they have a pretty quick Golf Gti and they did all the exhaust fab work on it, their in Cronullla has anyone heard of them??

GoLfMan
03-12-2006, 08:49 AM
yeh i've heard of hypertune! they are selling that mk4 GTi... it has 210kw at the wheels :o

Vieussuex
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
sounds pretty kick ass, ill ask them if i can take it for a drive ;)