PDA

View Full Version : The little Seat Ibiza CLX

DIDZ
15-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi All,

Probably thought it was better I had a single thread to refer to the Ibiza I've got to go through any issues and a "build" (if you call it that LOL).

I bought this little beast last year and it's been going good for the trips to work and an occasional Central Coast run!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/th_IMG00172-2.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/THE-DIDZ/?action=view&current=IMG00172.jpg)

Plans:

Brakes (front & rear)
Suspension (shocks & springs)
Wheels (nicer 14s)
New clutch
Timing belt

I'm not planning to respray it or anything like chucking a VR6 in - I've got the GTI to play with. If I can do it on a budget it should be OK as I'll be working on it myself unless I don't have the tools ! I'm hoping the missus will enjoy

At this point of time I'm in the process of doing the brakes (it's got drums in the back LOL). The front pads are cactus but never dealing with drum brakes before is going to be interesting. Bloody rain has put it off another weekend

The only problems I've had:

The exhaust snapped from the cat back LOL. Sounded like a Mack truck ? YES. Camden GTI to the rescue? YES !

Some sort of ignition problem. Oh and the fuel was dirty as. So I will need to pull the tank out and give it a good clean !

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/th_IMG00018-2.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/THE-DIDZ/?action=view&current=IMG00018.jpg)

I'll catch you guys around (half an hour after you get there LOL)

Golf Loon
15-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Cordoba or Golf 3 Brakes on the front. Cheap and easy upgrade.

Cordoba or Golf 3 CL drums on the rear is a nice upgrade.

Timing Belt is not too hard, it runs the waterpump, so you should do that at the same time.

Clutches for the 1.4 are expensive compared to the value of the car, get an O/S one if you are not in a hurry.

"The mighty 1.4 Ibiza, its not fast, but its reliable and you can park it anywhere :)"

DIDZ
23-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Quick update:

Went to have a look at the rears and there isn't too much left.. but will be fine for a little longer.

The fronts are rooted literally. I'll get a photo up of what was left !

My only problem is that the pads that I bought for the car were different to what was on the bloody car ! :brutal:

So the car is still on stands, need to get them sometime during the week to do on the weekend as braking is becoming suicidal.

I was looking at replacement cost for shocks for an indicator, almost had a heart attack ! I would have thought you could pick up you Generic Monroe shocks by themselves for fairly cheap. I guess not.

DIDZ
09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Thought I might update this thread.

Finally got the right front pads and replaced them right at the end of sunlight on sunday. The difference was immediate.

I found out the bushes and shocks are absolutely rat*****. The control arms just flopped to the floor. A bit of swearing and a brick holding it up I was able to replace the pads and put the wheels on.

Got quoted for front struts $360 / pair supply. LOL!

It cost me less to get Koni adjustables for my NX Coupe !

Will post pad shots when I get home.

Golf Loon
09-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Glad to hear of the update mate, glad you got it sorted.

We have found that slightly tired GTI shocks and springs are a good upgrade for the 1.4 ones at a budget price ;)

DIDZ
14-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Hrmm Mattt that sounds alright.

However I have something else to contend with. The wiring for the lights have become pretty fun. Parker lights work, high beam works, driving lights don't. But get this, when I hit the brakes, the passenger parker light starts up !!!!!

Driving lights were working giving the switch a bit of violence, but not any more. Strictly day driving in the Seat for the forseeable future...

Golf Loon
14-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Could be the switch mate, I have seen 5 broken ones in the last week.

If you swing past you can try a test unit.

DIDZ
03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi All,

Just an update - my front parkers work but my normal driving lights don't !

The funny thing is, when I've got my parkers on the rear brake lights go on also :eek:

I'm wondering whether it's a relay that's rooted (and if there is a diagram of which one affects the lights that would be great).

Not keen to empty my pockets with an Auto Electrician either...

Suggestions?

Golf Loon
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Its the headlight switch mate.

Come past and try one for free if you like.

DIDZ
09-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Its the headlight switch mate.

Come past and try one for free if you like.

A little late but thanks - that did the trick :D

For an update: The red bitch cracked 500kms on a tank last week, unbelievable !!! :driver:

Bboy_Sparx
10-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Yeah mine did 600 something last week! Cheerin!

FarQ
13-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi All,

Just an update - my front parkers work but my normal driving lights don't !

The funny thing is, when I've got my parkers on the rear brake lights go on also :eek:

I'm wondering whether it's a relay that's rooted (and if there is a diagram of which one affects the lights that would be great).

Not keen to empty my pockets with an Auto Electrician either...

Suggestions?

I have a haynes manual for the Ibiza...I think it has electrical diagrams in it. If you like I can scan and email them to ya...

DIDZ
04-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi All,

Pretty pleased with the efforts of the little Ibiza again, managed to get 500kms (Using E10!) from the tank. Thought I'd share it with you guys !

Also, having a little bit of a problem. The bloody thing sometimes just doesn't want to start. Then at other times it kicks over first time. Last week I walked back to work from the shops. Went back towards the end of the day and it started first kick :brutal:

It's been a years since I got it, given me some good service with not so much worries.

Golf Loon
05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
When it doesnt start does it kick over?

Try lifting the key as you turn it. Worn ignition switch is common.

DIDZ
13-01-2010, 07:37 AM
When it doesnt start does it kick over?

Try lifting the key as you turn it. Worn ignition switch is common.

Hey Matt,

Not too sure what you mean by does it kick over as in the engine running ?

The problem went away but it's been back for the last few days. On Sunday when I went to start it up to move it so I could take the Golf (to come to the cruise), out it just wouldn't start :(

I'll try lifting the key, but I'm starting to look for an upgrade.

It's marvellous when it's running, just needs to start !!

DIDZ
17-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Well it started this morning, let's see how long this run goes for ? :rolleyes:

DIDZ
26-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I sold the little bitch on Saturday morning. Wasn't too sad to see her go, but she gave me good service. Replacement is from the land of the rising sun...