PDA

View Full Version : Lots Of Help Needed

Scouser
15-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I am restoring an old VW Splitscreen kombi and want to have a decent stereo.
I fitted a Pinoeer with the cable for my Ipod in my MK 4 golf and its great so might get another head unit like that.
What would you suggest for the speakers in the rear will have to go ( the kombi has two rows of seats in the rear) under the rear seat I am thinking about a pair of 6x9 three ways and a pair of 6 inch three ways in the front cab area.
I am then thinking of having 2 subs under the middle seat, one facing the rear and one facing the front.
What would be the best amps to run all these and can I use just one amp, also what size boxes would I need, I am fitting the whole thing with Dynamat to get rid of the road noise
I am just guessing here and any help would be great.
Thanks
Dave

benno
15-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Hey mate, I have some gear out of my '58 Beetle for sale if you're interested.

I have an Alpine headunit that was really advanced for it's time and sounds great. It has a bunch of pre-outs for amps and a separate controllable sub output, as well as time alignment stuff - basically it processes the audio and compensates for the speakers being placed at different lengths from the listeners ears. I have an aftermarket cable that hooks my ipod up to it but unfortunately it's faulty - replacements are available on ebay etc. It charges the ipod and plays to the aux in of the headunit, using the ipod itself as a controller.

I also have a custom box (that's designed to fit behind the back seats of a Beetle. It houses a 12" Blaupunkt sub in a sealed enclosure and two very nice quality JBL 6x9s.

The amp is just a cheapie, an AMA (some German brand) 4x150 watt thing. It's actually not too bad, and you could use it until you decide to upgrade or just keep it.

I'm keeping the old front splits unfortunately.

I'm not sure about shipping a big heavy box to Adelaide though and it may not suit your setup anyway. If you're interested in the HU/sub/6x9's though, let me know and we can work something out.

As for general setup, I think the 6x9s under the back seat is good, you could probably just power them off the headunit. I'd have to recommend a nice pair of 6.5" splits at the front I reckon, powered by an amp. A pair of 12"s under the seat would hammer - box sizes depend on the subs you end up with and things like porting etc. Sealed enclosures are so much easier though ;-) I think you could probably power the whole system off one big amp - two channels for the front splits and one channel per sub.

Oh and post some pics of your Kombi when you're done - mucho love for the old Splitties!

Cheers,
Benno

Mr İharisma
15-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Keep it simple:
6-6.5inch front splits for the front cabin
Same size coaxials on the side of the middle row of seats
Subs both rear loading ( facing the tail lights ) made in a custom box in the rear of the van attached to the sides ( one on each side of course ).

4 channel amp to run the speakers
Mono block to run the subs.

Simple and will sound great.

Scouser
15-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I found some pics of how its going to be, seat set up that is.
This is under the rear seat.
Just the small section on the bottom

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/443397.jpg

Here is the front cab area, thinking of putting speakers where the vents are in this pic ( mine doesnt have them)

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/443399.jpg

This is the middle seat, was thinking of putting the subs there??

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/398357.jpg

As I am new to this sound electricity thingy, whats a mono block??
Need basic info I can understand thanks

Dave