PDA

View Full Version : QLD SE QLD Drive Day #2

shaneth
26-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Well it looks like all went well on Drive day number 1. I was really dissapointed that i didnt make it. So i have spent the arvo thinking of routes for the next one.

1. Start in Brisbane somewhere like milton, Head up Mount Nebo and then back down Mount Glorius, Then we can head north Past the dams up to kilcoy and then come home via mount mee.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/MountainRun.gif

Now like i said only ideas. Please give me your input if you like them or not. PLease add more or change mine if you can add stuff to them. If we start the ball rolling now we can do one after everyone gets back safe from Christmas Holidays.

Eddy
26-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Hoyhoy.
Hi Shane, never too early to start looking at a another one.

shaneth
27-11-2006, 11:04 AM
It Now Has Pics. More Input please.

Dr Spine
27-11-2006, 02:13 PM
My only input would be that the drive is:

1. "Broken up" into a number of stages that aren't too long. This gives a good chance for social interaction and not just driving (as fun as that is).
2. The overall drive needs to keep to a reasonable distance.
3 The "organiser" should do a dry run to get input on the "real world" time it takes to complete the course.
4. A good meal in a nice/interesting location should be a definite part of any drive day recipe.

The locations listed in options one and two are great. I do wonder if the course is too long though????? I can't be certain as I've not driven them myself.

As far as timing is concerned (and everyone will have their input on this) I'd be looking to any time from Feburary onwards. I think for most a gap of 3 to 4 months between organised drives keeps it all interesting and fresh and saves the "local organiser" from rushing any of the details.

KI11Z
27-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm liking the sounds of run #1, those mountains are great and would not dissapoint anyone whos into their driving! :D

wakdog
27-11-2006, 04:09 PM
yeah the nebo run would be awesome. Went over nebo/glorious with vwvortex cruise like 5months ago. Awesome roads and then after glorious lots of long straight roads (180kmh+ last time :P)

shaneth
27-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the Feed Back. Well route 1 which everyone seems to be leaning towards is roughly 225km long which for me is fine but whats everyone else think as some of you will have to travel some distance to get there.

As for it being broken up thats easy. there are plenty of available stops on the way. And wwhen i do the dry run ill find somewhere nice for lunch.

As for dates well im happy for Feburary. Pick a date 4, 11, 18, 25.

Keep the input coming.

KI11Z
28-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Just a note, Can somwbody get a bunch of our websites "Officiall" stickers for us to buy and promote!? Was kinda hopeing there'd be some on the cruise just past . . . :confused:

shaneth
28-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Mate im talking to mikinoz to organise some. if anyone in QLD wants some just PM me and we can work something out. Dont forget there is also the flyer that we have as well. Flyers (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=1745)

KI11Z
29-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Nice! Get them sorted! and lets keep this thread alive soz that all SEQ boys know anothers gettin sorted! :)

DOHCDAVE
29-11-2006, 07:44 PM
i've had a sticker on the car since april.
Nabbed them from Loon,gave a few away.

JUST GO AND GET YOU OWN STYLE MADE LESS HALSE.

ROCKLEA markets on sunday guy there will make em on the spot for you.
in the color you want, and a style to suit your car,and as long as it says vw watercooled australia they'll know where to look.
Cruise # 1 is the better of the two
Cheers Dave

shaneth
29-11-2006, 10:27 PM
DOHCDAVE Thanks mate, Nothing is definite yet. The more input there is the better.

jasn78
17-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey guys would be keen as for either run I know everyone is leaning to the first which is great but probably less traffic on the 2nd.

shaneth
25-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Well i did drive no.1 today was a great trip. Awesome roads.Will do drive no.2 soon. Anyone else had some ideas.

KI11Z
28-12-2006, 01:24 AM
So shano! Did you find any eaty places on the trip for lunch?! Good to see your trying to make this happen! keep us posted! :cool:

shaneth
28-12-2006, 09:15 AM
It was hard to tell, because everything was shut. There are places at the top of mount glorius. There is a shop at somerset dam. And also pubs at Kilcoy, woodford and dayboro. Now i was also thinking about a sausage sizzle or something like that (did this in the last forum). I will be doing this run again in the next couple of weeks and do some real scouting for it. Any ideas/suggestions?

Dr Spine
28-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Bringing own food is a bit of a hassle. Would rather just pay some money and have a nice feed put on for us. The road around Summerset Dam is great fun. There is bound to be a number of good options for the lunch. Certainly does not need to be 5 star but if we're to make the quality of the lunch one of the highlights of the day, we don't want to eat in a "dive" either.

Golfer
28-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Loving the idea of a SEQ run :D

I might go with the general concensus and say run #1 is the goer...

However this may have something to do with the fact that i'va done run 2 so many times before i'm kinda over it... :?

Count me in, if i can get the day off work (i work weekends) but y'all will have to take it easy or there's no way i'll be able to keep up (if alex's vr6 is anything to go by :D)

Cheers!!!
John :cool:

Eddy
29-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Loving the idea of a SEQ run :D

but y'all will have to take it easy or there's no way i'll be able to keep up (if alex's vr6 is anything to go by :D)

Cheers!!!
Hoyhoy.
Well John, you might have to put your foot down a bit. On the first run there was some hoping into it, if you know what I mean.

Dr Spine
29-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Now Eddy, I hope that you're not suggesting that the pace of the first drive was too quick (laughing) :) I was after all at the pointy end. There was some "spirited" driving in a few places. The take home message is that it was brief and only in areas unlikely to attract "unwanted attention". You've got to pick your moment if you know what I mean. If you drive fast all the time you'll soon have no lisence and that wouldn't be too "groooooooovy".

KI11Z
30-12-2006, 02:20 AM
Well boiz, it's just abouts january allready and feb will be around before we know it! so need t start things rolling for all the planners ou there. . . seems like (parhaps/maybe) drive 1 was a fave?! sooooo....... :)

shaneth
30-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Next question when in Feb do you wanna go???????

Dr Spine
30-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Whatever drive we do I feel that it's important not to spend too much of the day just driving. Any of us could do that anytime we want. Any drive day should be largely built up around the social interaction and getting to know other VW drivers.

My 2 cents worth is not to make the drive too long as we'll end up just rushing to finish the day and won't have enough time to just take our time and relax.

shaneth
31-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I couldn't agree more mate .
Whatever drive we do I feel that it's important not to spend too much of the day just driving. Any of us could do that anytime we want. Any drive day should be largely built up around the social interaction and getting to know other VW drivers.

My 2 cents worth is not to make the drive too long as we'll end up just rushing to finish the day and won't have enough time to just take our time and relax.

Thats why i said it would be to long. Its more of a drive i would do first before properly suggest it anyway. I dont like going hard on drives or have people follow me on drives i dont know myself. Thats why im comfortable with the 2 i originally suggested.

shaneth
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Ok its time to pick a date. whats everyone keen on i guess february sometime. Sunday is best for me. Pick a date 4, 11, 18, 25. Not this weekend but the next i will do a proper drive of route no.1 and find somewhere for lunch. Dayboro Pub is always a local for bikes and cars so should have good grub. Can you please PM me if you are keen to come so i can get a rough idea on numbers.

Golfer
06-01-2007, 11:25 PM
C'mon guys. Let's do this! I'm gonna take holidays early Feb so i need to know when we're going (and besides i want to have a few mods done b4 then) :D

To me the 11th sounds good, and dayboro pub could be a prime spot...

Cheers!!!

shaneth
07-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Ok so im going to start a list of Interested parties and if you wanted to be added then IM me. I just wanted to say that although there are alot of twisty raod in sections it wont be a race so if there are people holding off cause they dont want to be pushing there car to hard dont worry in about 2 weeks time ill do a dry run of the track and find plenty of stopping spots after the twisty sections so that everyone can regroup.

Interested:-
Shaneth
Golfer
Jasn78
Bora Sport

shaneth
10-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Come on QLD'ers do you want to cruise or not.

jasn78
10-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Hell yes sooner the better:)

Golfer
10-01-2007, 10:42 PM
What about the first sunday of Feb (the 4th)?

Can we get our Shizz together by then?

shaneth
10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Well im doing the dry run on sunday...... so im fine for what ever date. anyone else got an opinion or is it on the 4th.

KI11Z
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
:D the 4th sounds fine to meeeee! keep this thread in the new posts!! keep posting SEQers!

Golfer
12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I just got my holidays approved for that week including the 4th, so boyz lets make it the 4th!!!!!

C'mon - responses guys, lets get a list going!

shaneth
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Ok so its the 4th of February

Interested:-
Shaneth x 2
Golfer
Jasn78
Bora Sport
KI11Z
Dr Spine
Bing56
Wakdog
Eddy x 2

Dr Spine
12-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm In. Will be bringing the wife and 2 kids. Will need details in due course of meeting place and time.

shaneth
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Well i ws hoping to do the test run on sunday but it looks like ill be working :( so itll be next sunday and then ill have it all up for everyone to see.

Golfer
12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey everyone, where have you all gone? Even Eddy's dissapeared from sight!!!

Big up the 4th - everyone needs to post to give Shaneth an idea as to how many we're catering for.

THIS MEANS YOU!!!

Let's get some more confirmations - I don't want to have to be the fastest one there! Ahahahahaha j/k :D

It's one sunday, and even my girl, who doesn't really like my car (after enjoying the XR8 ) wants to come along for the ride and to meet everyone... So get ur acts together and come along!

Thanks to Shaneth for taking the time to survey the route for us all. Thanks to him. by cruise day we'll have stopping places plus a nice lunch spot sorted out, and all we'll have to concentrate on is bringin the dubs, and having a whole lot of fun!!!!!!!!!

Bring it ON!!!
John :D

jasn78
13-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Golfer if you turn out to be the fastest one there I think my Polo and I might just have to run off a cliff face:) lol

C you on the 4th and Thanks Shaneth

Bing56
13-01-2007, 12:07 PM
j: Count me in. Will take a sicky if I cant swap shift. Just let me know Date Time & place to kick of from

shaneth
14-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Well the prelim run has been done. OK here is what im thinking. Ill write this in much more detail after i get some feed back that its fine with everyone. I will also try and grade the roads in the extended version as some are quite hairy if your not ready for them.
The low down is

Meet :- Maccas Milton (just near the brewery) Meet here as its central to nearly everyone (i think anyway).

Time :- I'd say 8:00 to leave by 8:15. (please tell me if this is to early. but at this time i missed most of the traffic.)

From maccas we head north on the ICB, and take the Musgrave Road exit. Follow this road all the way to Mount Nebo and down the back of Mount Glorious where we will have a quick break fro 15-20min. i have seen brakes burn after the back of glorious so a little break just to let it cool down abit. This stretch is 58km and took me 58 min. I can break this run up if its needed.

Next stage is from Picnic Ground to The Spit where i think it would be good to take some photos as you can drive down onto the waters edge (if there arent to many boat trailers down there.) This stretch is 40km and took 30min

Next stage is from The Spit to the turn off Of mount Mee road. This is another 52km of mainly highway driving. Wont stop here for long just enough for toilet if anyone needs it and regroup. There is also a scenic lookout 9km down the road if more photos are wanted.

4th stage is from Mount me Rd to Crown Hotel where we will have lunch. Another 34km and an hour from the spit. From here im guessing we can split up if everyone wants to otherwise we can cruise back to brisbane and then split um up for suggestions.

All in all to do what i said back to my joint after the crown hotel it took 3:15hrs, 231km, and a petrol av of 8.2L/100km.

Well now its your turn this is how i think the run down should be. Give me ideas and suggestions and next weekend ill put up the complete run with maps etc etc.

Golfer
14-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Sounds fantastic Shaneth. It's a good length drive, not too much driving so we get to both have a good fang and get a chance to meet each other and talk shop :D

Now all i have to do is get Eddy to join me for the drive up to bris vegas...

Any other tweed/gold coasters planning on going up and want to meet up for the drive?

Bing56
14-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a great drive and chance to meet other golfers and make new friends, whats better than that. My the way thanks for all the work putting this together....Any gold coasters going up? maybe we can meet at Maccas Nerang for the drive up. Any takers?:rolleyes:

Bora Sport
14-01-2007, 08:21 PM
8.00 am may be a little early for some of us who would have a 1.5 hour drive just to get there. I suppose I could meet up with you somewhwere in the middle.

Dr Spine
14-01-2007, 08:56 PM
There will be 2 or 3 coming from Toowoomba. 8am is a little early but I'll be there if needs be.

wakdog
14-01-2007, 10:09 PM
ill should be able to make it. I absolutely loved mt nebo last time i went with the vwvotex cruise so id love to do it again.

shaneth
15-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Dr Spine, Bora Sport what time is more appropriate for you guys.

Dr Spine
15-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Any extra time will assist. That said, if the majority want 8am then I'll fall into line.

On the 1st SEQ drive that I organised we met at a certain time (in that case 10am) for a departure time 30 min later. The idea was to allow the stragglers (and there were a few) time to get to the starting point. If we did something like this you could make the meeting time at the Maccas something like 8:30 for a 9am departure.

At the end of the day, you're organising this one so I'm happy to go with the flow.

shaneth
15-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Im happy to start at 10 if everyone is happy to have lunch at 2pm. its either that or we have do the trip in the opposite direction start at 11 and have lunch at 11.30-12.

KI11Z
17-01-2007, 12:46 AM
thats fine, make it 10am, more sleep ;)

so who else is joining us in making this bigger than the last?! j:

Golfer
17-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I PM'd most of the Qld users, and was a bit dissapointed with the response...

That said, the later start wouldn't be a terrible thing, as it would give us "southern guard" a chance to have a proper meet up and a good fun drive up... :D

Any more gold coasters check it out - we get twice the cruising for our daylight :D :D

Cheers!!!

shaneth
17-01-2007, 06:34 PM
OK how about we organise to meet at 9 to leave by 9.30 then have lunch around 1 -1.30

Eddy
17-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Hoyhoy.
Just P-Meg. Shaneth & Golfer to say that the Wife & I will be going.
P.S. Never seen my name so many times on the computer screen.
This Golfer just twisted my arm, even though I was still thinking about it.

Dr Spine
17-01-2007, 09:46 PM
OK how about we organise to meet at 9 to leave by 9.30 then have lunch around 1 -1.30

Make the call Shaneth. 9am meeting for 9:30 departure sounds like a good compromise for all. Lets lock this thing in.

Golfer
17-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Never seen my name so many times on the computer screen.
This Golfer just twisted my arm, even though I was still thinking about it.
Ah well it never hurts to have someone to travel with, and Tweed Heads is severely underrepresented considering how many pretty dubs are cruising around here! (The benefits of having a dirty great big VW dealership/service centre in the middle of town i suppose)

My bad :?

J :cool:

shaneth
17-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Done 9am meet for 9.30 departure.

Eddy
17-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Done 9am meet for 9.30 departure.
Hoyhoy.
O.K.

voodoo
18-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Just catching up but I'll be there. Terri and I looking forward to catching up with everyone again and meeting new ones. Also good opportunity to add to my only 5000km on trip meter.

Rod

shaneth
18-01-2007, 10:32 PM
np. ill add your name to the list. on the weekend illdo a full write up of the cruise, andthen i will need exact numbers so i can book lunch but ill pm everyone individually, (btw this post was done on a nintendo ds) :D

KI11Z
19-01-2007, 12:01 AM
off topic now but NINTENDO DS! Wat d fook . . . I never knew nintendo has a console that had internet access?! wats a DS? :?

Golfer
21-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow... Just checked out the pics from the Sydney cruise!!!

We got sum to live up to!!!

Eddy
21-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Hoyhoy.
Hey Shaneth this isn't going to happen to us hey.
So Golf Loon's idea sounds O.K.

Next time we will have maps and designated meeting points.

[QUOTE=static1800] we lost a few along the way but was an awesome day.

great turn out guys.. although very unorganised argh! but great never the less
hopefully another one soon and we can all keep together this time lol

Dr Spine
22-01-2007, 07:00 PM
A map for each car would be a good idea. A contact mobile numbere for the "leaders" car would also be a good idea just incase someone gets lost.

shaneth
22-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Yep dr spine i agree and am onto it.

Also i would like someone who knows the drive to volunteer to go first or last (me being the opposite and i don mind which one i go just as long as the other driver knows where they are going.) as i have 2 cbs and think it would be good to have the first and last car to have one. just incase something happens back there :D

pm me if your interested

Dr Spine
22-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Great idea on the CB's. The planner should have the honour of "leading the pack". So long as he doesn't go too slow :)

Eddy
22-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Hoyhoy.
Need a co-driver for any talky talky, other wise we'll all be in line behind the FUZZ.

shaneth
23-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Great idea on the CB's. The planner should have the honour of "leading the pack". So long as he doesn't go too slow :)
No worries there mate. :D

Good point eddy. I have a co driver so i guess the person who volunteers tho go last will need to have a co-driver.

shaneth
23-01-2007, 10:19 PM
SE QLD DRIVE DAY #2

Where – Meeting place – Milton Maccas
Route – See below

When – 4th February 2007
Meeting at 9am to leave by 9.30am.

Who –
Shaneth x 2 - Confirmed
Jasn78 x 1 - Confirmed
Bora Sport
KI11Z x 2 - Confirmed
Dr Spine x 4 Confirmed
Bing56 x 1 - Confirmed
Wakdog x 2 - Confirmed
Eddy x 2 - Confirmed
Voodoo x 2 - confirmed
Elwoods 2LGL x 1 - Confirmed
bombsquad21 x 1 - Confirmed
tofo17 x 1 - Confirmed
DannyMk2 - Confirmed
Tam - COnfirmed

What to Bring -
Portible CB if you have one
Full tank of fuel.
Snacks and drinks
Camera
Brain

NB. i have the directions in word format and will print a hole heap before the cruise. Also can everyone pm me to confirm who is coming so i can book this weekend. And the amount of people in the car.

Route –
1st section.
Maccas – Up Mt Nebo – Down Mt Glorious – Stop at Red Cedar park. (not white Cedar)

From maccas we head north on the ICB, and take the Musgrave Road exit. Follow this road all the way to Mount Nebo (nebo is a great run, be careful as 2-3 corners are sharp after a crest of a hill. This is only a moderate section of mountain.) and down the back of Mount Glorious (the back of Mt Glorious is very steep with very very sharp hairpin, in my opinion extra care is needed. This would be the hardest section of road for the whole cruise.) where we will have a quick break fro 15-20min. I have seen brakes burn going down the back of glorious so a little break just to let it cool down abit. This stretch is 58km and took me 58 min.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/Mount.gif
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/Mount1.gif

2nd Section
Red Cedar Park – Right on Wivenhoe-Somerset Road – Right on Esk-Kilcoy Road – Stop at The Spit.
Next stage is from Picnic Ground to The Spit where i think it would be good to take some photos as you can drive down onto the waters edge (if there arent to many boat trailers down there.) This is a high speed section most of it 100km/h. This stretch is 40km and took 30min

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/Mount2.gif

3rd Section
The Spit – Right on D’Aguilar Highway – Right on Mount Mee Road - Stop on corner of D’Aguilar Highway and Mount Mee Road.
Next stage is from The Spit to the turn off Of mount Mee road. This is another 52km of mainly highway driving. Wont stop here for long just enough for toilet if anyone needs it and regroup. There is also a scenic lookout 9km down the road if more photos are wanted.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/Mount3.gif

shaneth
23-01-2007, 10:20 PM
4th Section

4th stage is from Mount me Rd to Crown Hotel where we will have lunch. Another 34km and an hour from the spit. From here im guessing we can split up if everyone wants to otherwise we can cruise back to brisbane and then split um up for suggestions.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/Mount4.gif

Home

Here is a map for the quickest way home and also directions.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/Mount5.gif

shaneth
26-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Also can everyone pm me to confirm who is coming so i can book this weekend. And the amount of people in the car.

Come on people please pm me.

Golfer
28-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry guys...

I was so gee'd up for this cruise and for meeting you all, like you wouldn't believe...

But I've had a rather devistating week of it this last week...

Read more in General Chat "Where's Golfer gone???"

Have fun guys, It'll be an awesome day!!!...

I WILL BE ON THE NEXT CRUISE!!!

Thanks all
John

tofo17
28-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi guys,

I'm coming in a bit late but I'm probably up for this... as long as Jettas can come too! Actually, I live about 2km from the Milton Maccas so this is a great start point for me :D

I need to check a few things *cough* ask wife *cough* but I think it should be doable. I will have spare seats if anyone wants to ride along.

Cheers,
Tom

brackie
28-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Welcome mate and if it's a VW and it's cooled by water (or a solution with water as it's major component ;) ) then it's eligable. We're not a Golf forum or a Polo forum......

shaneth
28-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I would love for another watercooled vw to come.

Guy_H
29-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Should at least be able to make it to the start :)

Dr Spine
29-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I'll put my hand up to be the spoil sport. My feeling is that this is a VW cruise. All you need to do to come along is drive a watercooled VW. I've got mates with cool cars that aren't VW's.......they can't come. It's not that they wouldn't have a great time or that they're not great blokes....they're just not in watercooled VW's.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

Doesn't the drive loose some of it's fun and meaning if the cars in front and behind you aren't VW's.

How different would the group photo's be. VW, VW, Mini, VW, Cortina, Holden, VW, VW, Ford.....It's no longer a VW cruise......It's just a cruise. Any of us can do that anytime, just go to your rearest road.

Anyway, I think I've made my point.

Thoughts everyone.

KI11Z
29-01-2007, 11:55 PM
tru tru, good point, I think i'd have to agree and say perhaps no . . . Minis are great lil cars but defeats the whole 'VW' thing . . . See you all there guys :-)

shaneth
30-01-2007, 05:34 AM
No worries. No harm in asking.

Bing56
30-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Not sure if this is still a go for us down south, however thought me and the 'old lady' will leave from Macca's Nerang @ 0800 for the run up to Milton for the 0900 meet. If anyones interested you can join us there. Will leave 0800 hrs sharp and should be in Milton with plenty of time to spare,

White 4 dr 06 Gti ( so you know we are there )

Should be fun, our own little run up to Brissy:)

Eddy
30-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Not sure if this is still a go for us down south, however thought me and the 'old lady' will leave from Macca's Nerang @ 0800 for the run up to Milton for the 0900 meet. If anyones interested you can join us there. Will leave 0800 hrs sharp and should be in Milton with plenty of time to spare,

White 4 dr 06 Gti ( so you know we are there )

Should be fun, our own little run up to Brissy:)
Hoyhoy.
Yeah, The Wife & myself will meet you there at 8.00 am. QLD. In the little girl below.

Tameth_au
30-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey everyone, just spotted the cruise and the day is so far free, so I might just come along. I'm also only just down the road from milton. Looks like a great drive and a great piece of organisation, all these roads are good fun.

On the VW exclusivity note, I dont think non-vw's should be banned, to me the nature of a cruise is meeting people and putting a few different cars up against each other. Perhaps a little bit of broadened 'euro exclusivity' is in order.

I will confirm a lil later in the week if my filthy mk2 will be joining the drive.

Tam

shaneth
30-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Found out today i cant book the hotel. We just have to turn up and they will fit us in. The owner assured me there will be room.

DannyMk2
31-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,

I'll be there along with another MkII (Tam). Excellent route you've chosen, my all-time favourite. :)

Dr Spine
02-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Any of the Toowoomba cars who want to travel down to the Milton Maccas with me are welcome. My car + family will be leaving from out front of my place (just like last time) at 7:30 sharp. If no one is there by 7:31 I'll be off and will see you in Brisbane.:)

shaneth
02-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok well all the map books and directions are made up. Everyo car that has confirmed will get one. PLease come and see me before he cruise. Your forum sig will be on it. If you havent confirmed you wont get one so please confirm with me.

bombsquad21
03-02-2007, 08:03 PM
For Crying out loud!!

Basically i've moved heaven and earth trying to leave Sunday the 4th open for this drive, i'm working now (Saturday Night) till 2am, was prepared to get up early to make the Milton meet only to start work again at 3pm tomorrow afternoon. I then have to jump on a plane for 8hours and be back on Thursday morning. This after having 1 day off in the last...i dont know. Anyway something unavoidable has come up so i'm out for tomorrow. Realistically i may have left 3rd gear somewhere on the roadside anyway (as is the condition of my clutch) but still this hurts. Have a great day everyone, i'll be looking fwd to seeing all the action here tomorrow night.

Cheers

Luke

Tameth_au
03-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I'll be there with a passenger and danny will be there flying solo! see you lot in the morning!

Dr Spine
03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Bring cameras if you can. Then post your pics for all to see.

Eddy
03-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Bring cameras if you can. Then post your pics for all to see.
Hoyhoy.
I---I---DOC.

shaneth
03-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Well the skies are clear and im getting exited. The MLC Building or whatever it is is also giving the right signals for a fine day tomorrow. Ill talk to you all tomorrow. :D

shaneth
04-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Well i got back at 2.30. had a fantastic time. Thanks everyone for coming. Did everyone get home safely? I cant wait to see everybodies Pics. My internet is capped at the moment so it would take me forever to put mine up but i will when i get to the start of the new month. So whats the next one going to be. I reckon a track day might be in order. Will start a new thread soon once i hear back from some people.

Dr Spine
04-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Here are some pics of our day.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/DSCN9520-2.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/DSCN9515-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/DSCN9513-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/DSCN9510-2.jpg

Dr Spine
04-02-2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/DSCN9512-2.jpg

It is fitting that thanks go to Shaneth for putting together a great day!

After the lunch, Voodoo and I took our cars back over Mt Mee, over to Esk and then back to Toowoomba via the Esk-Hampton Road that some will recall from the 1st cruise. My head is still spinning from all the bends and twists!!

Time now to just chill out and contemplate a super day. Over 500klm in total!

By the way, my congratulations go to Voodoo for seeing the deer and braking in time. I was just behind him. Lets just say that I'm thankful for how good the brakes are in the GTI!

shaneth
04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/100_2458.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/100_2457.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/shanethb/100_2452.jpg

Eddy
04-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Hoyhoy.
Some of the boys on the fly.
Had a great day, with a bit of long awaited hard fun driving.
Must say thanks to Shaneth, top job done. This fellow done a hell of a lot of printing & mapping & no one lost.
P.S. No1. I think that some of the wifes wouldn't have married us boys, if they knew we weren't going to gro up.
P.S. No2. Probably not the best pictures, but if any one wants a full size just P.M. me with their email add.
http://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0798s20.JPGhttp://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0797s20.JPGhttp://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0796s20.JPG

Eddy
04-02-2007, 07:14 PM
http://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0804s20.JPGhttp://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0803s20.JPGhttp://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0802s20.JPG

Eddy
04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
http://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0801s20.JPGhttp://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0800s20.JPGhttp://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0799s20.JPG

brackie
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Great effort effort once again! It seems that successful cruzes result from good organisation. Other states/cities please note well ;)

Well done, Shaneth!

(Better be careful, Brackie..... We're about to have a Northern Tassie cruze :o )

Eddy
04-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Hoyhoy.
This one belongs to Rod & Terry [Voodoo] from Toowoomba I think thats in QLD. going by the plate. The 55 stands Mark 5 as well as their age when they to plan to retire.
P.S. Don't tell any one, but they haven't got that long to go.
http://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0809s40.JPG

Eddy
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Hoyhoy.
My little Girl found a Boy friend on this trip & their Pups are due in ???????? months or years, not too sure as yet.
http://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0794s40.JPG

Tameth_au
04-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey one and all, thanks for a fun drive and cheers to shaneth for putting it all together. Great selection of roads! All the photos I had are not on my camera, but you wont find anything too new from what you've already seen. Have a couple of driving shots that i might get hold of later in the week. Cheers!

Eddy
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Hoyhoy.
Now believe it or not, but this photo shows how clever I'm by being at the front of the quere, & its so easy.
Just come in dead last.
http://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0770s40.JPG

Eddy
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Hoyhoy.
The Wife was trying to tell me to read the signs, but we were having too much fun to do that sort of stuff.
http://home.exetel.com.au/rekrek/100_0780s40.JPG

voodoo
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow what a day! Had a bit of everything - Great choice of roads, great cars, great mob and plenty of excitement. Loved those S bends on Mt Mee but I went a bit too slow at first for you more experienced guys. I'm still getting used to upskilling from my previous car a Toyota Echo. Haven't stretched the car's capactiy yet but just the drivers. Got the adrellin going on the bendy Esk - Hampton stretch on the way home. My wife yelled "Dear" to which I replied "Yes Darling but no need to shout" to which she then yelled "NO - DEER" as if I hadn't already seen this massive full grown deer standing in the middle of the road spoiling our fun. I was more worried though about Dr Spine behind me not reacting quick enough when I got heavily on the anchors. All sweet though great brakes on the GTI's.
Thanks Shane for a great day and the organising of it all. These days don't just happen by themselves and you did well thanks. One thing though I have a strange large number now stored on my GPS's maximum speed during the day that I've never seen before. Think it must have hapened on the return trip back on the Mt Mee road. Guess it was an emergeny when I had to overtake on a long straight stretch - Lucky Terri didn't notice. Gees it felt good though and got there quick
Cheers

jasn78
04-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I would have to be in agreeance with everyone else it was a great day Shane and job well done. Keen as for a track day as well

graeme86
04-02-2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

This looks a bit "opposite lock" - Alex!

Sorry we couldn't catch up with you guys, we left a bit late! Were hoping to cut over Glorious and meet up at Red Cedar Park, but we worked out we were about half an hour behind you.

We had fun though ;)

Guy_H
05-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Nice pics - good run!

Sorry, couldn't make it (motorshow commitments, had the crab pots in & the tide was right for early morning fishing :? )

Hopefully on the next one :)

Bing56
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks heaps to Shane. Lots of work to organise and so well done. We loved the drive, quick without being silly he he !!. More Pics please would be great.
THAKS AGAIN.......

KI11Z
05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
HAHA, yeh, i had it hangin round a few cornerz! lol j: makes it interesting . . . Good ol' stoko suspension ;)

But def was a great day! great meeting up with everyone and wat a wicked drive! luvin the twisties (roads) :D

Track day is def in order! cant wait . . .

tofo17
05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
My first cruise and definately not my last! Thanks again to Shane for organising the day.

It was amazing how friendly all the traffic was, flashing their lights at us in appreciation :D

KI11Z
05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Not sure if you all read up about johns (Golfer) Girlfriend, if not its in general under "where's golfer gone" . . .

I picked up a leukaemia sign up form before the cruise and forgot to ask about it!! and whoever was or is interested in doing it with me for Queensland VWW! I'm going bald but perhaps colouring is accepted :D

Just that with the form I need to put for me or a group so pm me if your interested and if we get enough peeps i'll send the form off!

Laterzzz

madglf3
05-02-2007, 05:58 PM
i wish i had found out about this site/cruise a week ago. looked like a good one. count me in for the next one. hope my car is all good for it

BrisGTI
06-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Looks and sounds like it was a fun day.
Will have to come to next one.

Lams
06-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Not sure if you all read up about johns (Golfer) Girlfriend, if not its in general under "where's golfer gone" . . .

I picked up a leukaemia sign up form before the cruise and forgot to ask about it!! and whoever was or is interested in doing it with me for Queensland VWW! I'm going bald but perhaps colouring is accepted :D

Just that with the form I need to put for me or a group so pm me if your interested and if we get enough peeps i'll send the form off!

Laterzzz

Boo - I missed it, although I was up there on Saturday afternoon :)

I did the "shave for a cure" last year, and will be doing it again this year! I look terrible with a bald head though.

Looks like you guys had fun. We used to go up there regularly... weather was not a worry

http://members.optusnet.com.au/chuenshun/Golf/richad.JPG

http://members.optusnet.com.au/chuenshun/Golf/drive2.JPG

Hope I can make the next one!

jerrah
06-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I was invited along by both Tameth_au and DannyMk2 but I just didn't have the time away from work. It looks like it was a good drive and hopefully I'll be able to make a future one.

I normally read the vortex and I wasn't aware that events were being organised over here. :)

DannyMk2
06-02-2007, 03:46 PM
And with me posting here, that make all 3 of us in the second pic of Lams' present and in order! :D

Yeah, was a good day out, got some decent trucker's arm (ouch)! Sorry to drop off after Kilkoy, Tam had a line on a good pie shop there, so we couldn't resist stopping. :D

I look forward to the next Watercooled event, and keep an eye on VWVortex for some other SEQld VAG events.

Cheers

Tricky
15-02-2007, 09:26 PM
#*&!#*!# Got my car a week too late...!

I'll be there for the next one...

quozl
15-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Morgan Park Weekend FTW

KI11Z
16-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Whats Morgan Park FTW?! :?

quozl
16-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Whats Morgan Park FTW?! :?

Morgan Park For the Win

golfmeup
20-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Ok So when are you guys up for another cruise?
Im keen to get out and meet a few of you all!

It was a shame more people didnt join up for the Ettamogah run.

shaneth
20-02-2007, 09:44 PM
golfmeup. start a new thread and start the ball rolling.

Dr Spine
20-02-2007, 09:53 PM
I'd say that the next get together is probably going to be the track day.

shaneth
20-02-2007, 10:49 PM
But what about all the cars that wont get invited. I am pretty sure the track day will only be for newer cars. Im always up for a cruise anyway.

KI11Z
20-02-2007, 11:50 PM
How do you mean that wont get invited?! . . . Cant any car rock round a track providing u got a helmet, sleeves and pants? . . . :?

quozl
21-02-2007, 12:39 AM
As long as the car is mechanically sound (read safe) then there is no reason age should come into it.

Cheers Al

shaneth
21-02-2007, 05:50 AM
My bad for some reason i assumed he was talking about the APR, Murcotts driving day. Thats what happens when you post when your tired. you jump to conclusions. :o Sorry.

Dr Spine
21-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Best to get Guy answer that one as he's the fellow who started the QLD GTI Driver Training Day thread. He's also the one organizing it. I'd say that the name of the thread says plenty though. Ongoing discussion of the topic should occur in that thread I'd say as Guy may be more likely to see it there.