PDA

View Full Version : Comfortline is the new GT (TSI) and Mark VI GTI only slightly up in power

metrolex
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
With only 7kw less than the old GT TSI, what a terrific package the Mark VI Comfortline appears to be (and with 7 cogs in the self-shifter t'boot!). 15% more power than the Mark V 2.0 too.

I notice der neue GTI ist mit 155kw (up just 8kw (~5%) on the Mark V). This might come as a relief to Mark V GTI owners (from a resale perspective if nothing else). Gone is the plunging grill that strongly distinguished the Mark V GTI from its lesser siblings.

And the 103TDI is now fitted with the CRD diesel in place of the Pumpe-Duse. Based on my drive of the CRD-equipped Tiguan, the CRD has less lag than the Pumpe-Duse equivalent.

tdi guy
10-03-2009, 07:41 AM
I agree about the Comfortline TSI
I note the model line up reverts to the more familiar Trendline and Comfortline. There will be a GTI and the 'R' replacement. So Australia will not get the GT Sport (available in the UK, for example). The torque in the Comfortline 118TSI is the same, and power is down about 5% but 0-100 is only a few ticks behind. Also the 'sports pack' adds most of the 'bells and whistles' from the GT (sports seats, 17in wheels, tinted rear windows, etc).TG and it would be a couple of grand cheaper, too.

That said, I still rather like the plunging grill - my wife says it looks like a badger, but in a nice way (?)

TG

jayjay
10-03-2009, 04:45 PM
there were rumours on autoexpress/autobild that vw were building a gtd for the mk6, ie high performance diesel. that would be awesome. :)

seeing as they offered the mk5 with a 125kw diesel, i reckon a higher performance variant (ie gt sport) will come out soon

Retired
10-03-2009, 05:00 PM
badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom..

I must say I am in LOVE with the Mk6, absolutley in LOVE.

Pricing is rather attractive also

Greg Roles
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
In the winter 08 VW magazine, the chief engineer Ulrich Hackenberg mentions bi-turbo was the direction for diesels at VW, and I too am hoping somthing like this actually happens. The recent bluesport diesel roadster concept had 132kw out of a 2.0 diesel, but is indeed only a concept at this stage. It's a RWD which is why I am in love!

I see the big problem being the new Euro V emissions, where both particulates and NO has to be reduced for diesels, and as the current GT is forever clogging the DPF as it is, with it actively regenning every few weeks, you have to woinder how they will get both more power AND a emission reduction enough that a DPF will last a few years.

No doubt common rail will help with far better injection patterns, thus better burn of the fuel.

glennbot
26-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I was very close to buying a MK5 Golf a few months ago but when I heard the MK6 wasn't far away I decided to wait for the MK6 GT. Obviously it didn't happen when VW Oz released the MK6 but it looks like the Comfortline with the Sports Pack is very simular to the UK GT version spec. If VW Oz bring out a MK6 GT what do you think they would offer on top of what's available now in the Comfortline/Sports Pack setup?

Lower Suspension?
Different 17" Wheels?
Adaptive Cruise Control?
Body kit?

I think the black stripe up the front and grill will be no longer - looking at the new GTi front, this is now old fashion.

Russ59
27-03-2009, 07:24 AM
I still prefer the "badger" look of MK V GTI / GT front, it gives it character, the new one IMO looks a bit cheap and bland, I won't be trading up any time soon, not unless VW do something extraordinary with a new GT version. :)

Russ

daft009
28-03-2009, 12:02 PM
yep gotta admit the current GTs & GTIs look great because of the swooping grill at the front.

However I do like the look of the new GTD thats just been announced.. pity it doesn't come with denvers :(

tdi guy
28-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I still prefer the "badger" look of MK V GTI / GT front, it gives it character, the new one IMO looks a bit cheap and bland, I won't be trading up any time soon, not unless VW do something extraordinary with a new GT version. :) Russ

UK GT looks OK, though not 'sporty'. Perhaps the deeper grill is being reserved for Audi, with VW sticking with the shallow horizontal grill (maybe there was some brand confusion).

TG

Greg Roles
28-03-2009, 03:08 PM
It's growing on me, but I actually waved at an Astra the other day thinking it was a new MK6. It just looks very "Opel".

anarchycamp
28-03-2009, 03:38 PM
badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom..

bahahahahahaah i remember that thing

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

VW are certianly bringing some good variants out with this model, im sure its going to sell like hotcakes. I wonder if the GTI will still be the most popular model this time around, I dont think it will be personally.

Russ59
29-03-2009, 12:31 AM
UK GT looks OK, though not 'sporty'. Perhaps the deeper grill is being reserved for Audi, with VW sticking with the shallow horizontal grill (maybe there was some brand confusion).

TG

Looks pretty similar to the MK VI that's already here, it just lacks something to give it some originality like the MK V GT / GTI's have. It looks OK but just a bit too much the same for my liking, that's what drew me to pick the MK V GT when I bought mine, it was different from the base model. :)

Russ

jayjay
29-03-2009, 12:51 AM
it seems there should be a gti an a gtd coming out in the next year or so. i think the sport pack on the mk6 comfortline is similar to that of the sportline of a few years ago.. 17" wheels, sport seats... that's about it.