PDA

View Full Version : 1995vwgolfvr6

RobsRide
09-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Learned about this site from European Car Forums of Australia. Have been browsing through the almost endless posts re: MK3's. Absolutely great site!!!
The humour section had me in tears...
Cheers

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/web11-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/frontweb-1.jpg

Jarred
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
welcome to the forum.

enjoy.

any more details about your VR?

Tim
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
welcome aboard dude.
Looks like a nice straight VR you have there.

KI11Z
09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
mmm, so clean! luv it:toast:

rayray086
09-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Welcome! Should come to some of our cruises/meets!

RobsRide
10-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi and thanks for the welcome!!!
It's pretty stock at the moment. I have been looking through the site re: suspension upgrades and there is some debate between lowered springs and shocks v. coilovers. Seems that lowered springs are much more hit-and-miss and are not adjustable, so I will be going with a set of coilovers in the very near future. I will post some before and after shots, when finally done. Apart from the ride height, the car is too soft and springy. Definitely needs a refurb on the suspension.
There is a list of to-do's that I have started to tick off, but whatever is done to the car, I want to retain the stock look.
I haven't owned a car for a few years so this is bliss. Just been relying on public transport and hiring a car when necessary. So I am enjoying the freedom that is 4 wheels and an engine... and what a mighty fine package the Mk3 VR6 is...
Cheers

RobsRide
10-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Is a mile high. Really begging to be closer to the ground...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/Post1-1.jpg

Cupra
10-03-2009, 07:49 PM
welcome, nice looking VR you've got there.

Phil

RobsRide
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Coilovers have been ordered !!!

rayray086
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Good work mate, drop it down and come bowling with us on the 24th :D

RobsRide
16-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Finally got the coils installed...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/15042009_004web1-1.jpg
Quick phone pic.

A big thanks to evorobin for supplying the Hot Tuning coilovers and a big thankyou to Matt and Shannon from Camden GTi for the install.

First impressions... they have improved the handling of the car immensely. Reduced body roll, flat through corners, pretty comfortable on my tyres too = 15" x 205/50. Didn't go too low, for the sake of comfort and drivability, but am more than happy with them.
Bumps are more pronounced, but with the amount of lowering and tyre combo, the car rides well.
Steering is much more responsive.
This is a massive upgrade over stock.

my2centsworth...
Have read a lot of posts about coilovers and lowered suspension and the question of drivability always pops up. The fact is that we don't intentionally drive into potholes or over bumps, but unfortunately we do drive on roads that are far less than perfect. On the way back from Campbelltown, the roads went from good to poor to atrocious. The Hume highway around Bass Hill (if i remember right) is a piece of broken crap... endless uneven concrete slabs butted together. Even without coils or firmer suspension, roads like these are major contributors to mechanical failings, and no doubt accidents. Unfortunately we are continually held to ransom by some ridiculous sense of nationalistic underdog pride, reinforced by slogan wielding corporations, ('...built for Australian conditions...') such that we see normality in imperfection and learn to accept the way things are without dissent.

Time for a change, and time for some lobbying action..

How about a thread (if one doesn't already exist) dedicated for roads to avoid?

Has anybody else noticed that most new cars in the television advertising circus are getting higher and more 4-wheel drive like? Don't have to worry about crappy roads if you are sitting 6 feet off the deck, right?