PDA

View Full Version : MK5 sub

greygolf8
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Over the last couple of months have designed, built & installed a sub for my MK5 golf. I used the winisd speaker program & lots of googling research for construction tips & the 'tex for power cable install.

Its a bit bigger than I had planned but sounds great once the volume gets to medium. At low volumes theres no noticably sub sound in the drivers seat. The amp is a pioneer class d 200w @4ohms, which is plenty (can make the rear view mirror vibrate !). Its in a pine/mdf box just to keep the cables tidy and makes the spare boot space usably without worrying about snagging cables. The amp gets warm but not hot, so the fan is on low speed just to circulate the air.

The speaker is a Peerless xls 10" 4ohm rated around 250w so matches the amp nicely. Its a ported box which goes down to about 30hz. Not the cheapest speaker at $250 but Im impressed. I think a 12" would be way overkill. The bars over the speaker are actually large kitchen draw handles :)

The 2 flat alu bars they connect to stand out in the pics with flash but arent that noticable with normal light. Its all secured with a 5m ratchet tie down via the internal boot secure points. The only thing different I would do next time would to make it a simple box & not do the angle to fit the rear seat, as it was a PIA to get the corners right with my simple woodwork tools.

cheers

Mr İharisma
09-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks good dude. I thought you had it held down with packing tape at first until I seen it a big closer :biggrin:

Nice choice of sub, only thing is that you should tidy up the wires in the amp box. I am a wire nazi!!!! :bluesbro: