PDA

View Full Version : Benno's Audio Install thread

benno
07-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Greg Roles
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Sweet, now I can hijack yours! :biggrin:

Great minds think alike, my front tweeters are exactly the same, but I've still yet to hear it! Arrrgh!

I put a few big pieces of Dynamat onto each door outer, especially opposite the driver. My rear passenger outer stock sound deadener was a crumpled heap in the bottom of the door, so it was just as well I got into them.

So far I've found the outer door handles rattle the worst, but it's only noticable outside the car.

benno
08-03-2009, 09:24 AM

HOLEIN1
08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
hi there mate, looks as if youve done a good job there...

i would suggest however making up some MDF rings to mount the speakers on and ditching the standard items as this would give a much more dense/solid surface to mount the speakers on...

dont be too scared with taking the door apart, its rather straight forward. just remember to support the window with some tape to hold it up while you remove the regulator (its attached to the door skin)

theres plenty of DIY guides on VW Vortex if youwant more information

as for the under seat mounting of amps and subs, you will find that there is next to no room under there, not even enough for a small amp. best and only place to mount this sort fo thing would be the boot.

keep up the good work!

dan :)

Greg Roles
08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
A digital amp, such as the Jaycar or Alpine units would fit, but I had to go the spare tyre well with my hefty Van Gough amp. As for swarf, I just vacced what I could then sprayed some tar into the bottom of the doors. Enjoy taking skins off, no way I'm going there mate!

Never tried an underseat, but I expect it will sound like you think, just that little bit more, but just not what you'd hoped for.

08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know how much room you guys have under the seat, but even the tiny Alpine PDX amplifiers wouldn't fit under a Polo seat (my seat is all the way back and down).

I ended up going with an Audiosystem F2-130 (Link (http://english.gttrading.it/easysite/scheda3.asp?livello=3&Marchio=Audiosystem&Gamma=Twister&Modello=F2%3E130&pg=1) - RRP $399) - made in Italy, very high quality SQ amplifiers, only 50mm high. Also do a more powerful version (the 190).
Arc Audio also do one the size of a DVD case which I was originally looking at (Link (http://www.arcaudio.com/productdescription_pages/amplifiers/ks-series/ks-125.2-mini.asp)), however you're look at upwards of $700 for just the 2 channel!

Food for thought anyway...

benno
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Well I ended up at the beach today so didn't get all that much done - but I did rip into the passenger side this arvo and it's dynamatted and ready for a speaker installation tomorrow. Should go fairly smooth now.

i would suggest however making up some MDF rings to mount the speakers on and ditching the standard items as this would give a much more dense/solid surface to mount the speakers on...

Cheers mate, I did think about that and even bought some MDF but got lazy and decided to use the factory mount - I added heaps of dynamat to try and control any resonance issues though.

Jon - ta for that, doing a bit of reading now ;-)

benno
09-03-2009, 04:06 PM

09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Jon - that Audio Systems amp looks like it could be a goer. Did you pay RRP?

Nope, I haven't paid RRP for anything for a very long time :biggrin:

Which Focal series were you looking at - the SOLID's? I have heard alot of bad reports about their sound quality, nothing better than "run of the mill" products - I had my eyes set on a black SOLID 2 until told otherwise. I'd want something a bit 'special' behind a set of Hertz speakers, but that's just me (and Kenwood is a different kind of special haha!).

PDX 2.150 for sale here - http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=546141 Offers $300+

benno
09-03-2009, 04:35 PM

09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I got mine for $330. Wouldn't mind a 4 channel now I've decided to replace the front speakers as well - argh!

I competed in SQ competitions about 18 months ago, retired, and now I'm getting back into it - so I understand the 'sucking money out of me' part!!

I can find out about the Alpine for you if you'd like?

benno
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah cheers mate, that'd be great. Or if you are going to let your F2 go cheap let me know ;-)

09-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Would have to find speakers I enjoy the sound of that don't cost over $1k LOL! Then get the 4 channel.

I'll be in touch.

Mr İharisma
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Those audio system amps are great. Other decent small footprint amps can be found in the form of JVC ( I know it's JVC but they are actually good ) and Blaupunkt.

Definately make an MDF ring.
Definately amp them
Definately be a bit more un-forgiving with the Dynamat. You should just leave it as one big sheet and put in on in one piece only cutting out the window motor and to allow wires to come out that need to.

You should try putting the tweeters high in the kick panels or higher on the dash, that should help your sound stage unless you have time alignment.

benno
09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Cheers for the tips mate. Yeah I got a bit better with the dynamat on the passenger side door. Not super keen on moving the tweeters though given I just cut some big f*** off holes in the trim panels! The headunit in my old car has time alignment stuff, but my new one won't unfortunately.

What do you think of the Blaupunkt THA series amps? Vs the JVC?

And I just saw these:
http://english.gttrading.it/easysite/scheda3.asp?livello=3&Marchio=ADSSPK&Gamma=X--ION%20line&Modello=SPECIAL%20SYSTEMS&pg=1

Hmm. Just as I finish getting my splits in! What do people think of Audio System speakers? Not that I'm buying, particularly without listening to them, but it would be interesting to know.

Mr İharisma
10-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Would have to find speakers I enjoy the sound of that don't cost over $1k LOL! Then get the 4 channel.

I'll be in touch.

Pity your not in Sydney.. :frown:

Otherwise you should go see Marty @ Fhrx studios.

Mr İharisma
10-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Cheers for the tips mate. Yeah I got a bit better with the dynamat on the passenger side door. Not super keen on moving the tweeters though given I just cut some big f*** off holes in the trim panels! The headunit in my old car has time alignment stuff, but my new one won't unfortunately.

What do you think of the Blaupunkt THA series amps? Vs the JVC?

Never used either. I like the look better of the THA series lol. Have not heard a bad thing about either of those amps other than they are tiny and make some useful power.

And I just saw these:
http://english.gttrading.it/easysite/scheda3.asp?livello=3&Marchio=ADSSPK&Gamma=X--ION%20line&Modello=SPECIAL%20SYSTEMS&pg=1

Hmm. Just as I finish getting my splits in! What do people think of Audio System speakers? Not that I'm buying, particularly without listening to them, but it would be interesting to know.

If they are half as good as their amps then they would be worth a listen.

10-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Pity your not in Sydney.. :frown:

Otherwise you should go see Marty @ Fhrx studios.

I've spoken to Marty a few times already. Just I won't buy speakers without listening to them first. There's a couple of places up here that do enough of the high end gear, just not Morel (one of the brands I want to audition). Otherwise I will end up with Dyn's...

Paul_OH
11-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I recently had an Alpine MRP-F300 installed under the passengers seat which runs the factory front door speakers with the rear channels bridged to run a 10" sub. The factory rears run off the AVC9000 head unit. I'm very impressed with the sound of the factory speakers (and so was the installer) and wanted to do this before making the jump to upgraded fronts. We rarely have anyone in the back seat so the rears providing some fill only is fine.
The MRP-F300 retails for around $350 and all up installed (by a quality company) was $500 all up incl quality interconnects. Quite a reasonable deal I thought and very happy with the results.

Paul

benno
17-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Which Focal series were you looking at - the SOLID's? I have heard alot of bad reports about their sound quality, nothing better than "run of the mill" products - I had my eyes set on a black SOLID 2 until told otherwise. I'd want something a bit 'special' behind a set of Hertz speakers, but that's just me (and Kenwood is a different kind of special haha!).

Jon have you got any more info or links about the Focal Solids? I can get the Solid 4 for about $400 ish I think, which is one of the cheaper options so far.

And who sells Arc Audio gear in Aus? The 4 channel mini looks nice... bet it's pricey though.

17-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Jon have you got any more info or links about the Focal Solids? I can get the Solid 4 for about $400 ish I think, which is one of the cheaper options so far.

And who sells Arc Audio gear in Aus? The 4 channel mini looks nice... bet it's pricey though.

I've only got word-of-mouth on the Focal. Little bit of chit-chat here (http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=546999).

Retail on that Arc Audio is either $799 or $899. I was looking at the 2ch which went from a nice $499 to $699 with exchange rate/price increases :frown:. FHRX in Sydney or Northfield Moorooka in QLD (where I got my gear from) distribute Arc Audio.

benno
18-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Just went in and had a chat to Drew at Northfield Moorooka.

$999 for the Arc 125.4 mini :(

$799 for the Alpine PDX 4.100

Roughly $500ish for a sub enclosure (custom fibreglass jobby).

$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Greg Roles
18-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Turn your spare tyre into a can of sealant like me, and then you can put any monster of an amp in the spare wheel space. Alternately, do you really need that level of gear, as I have had some great results in my poorer past with well installed cheaper stuff like Jaycar amps. Even top end stuff, installed poorly and tuned incompletely will sound bad.

18-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Roughly $500ish for a sub enclosure (custom fibreglass jobby).

Hence why I built my own non-fibreglass box for a 10th of that lol!

Agree with Greg though, look at the Jaycar gear if the budget doesn't stretch. Those new higher end Jaycar Precision Response models look the business too!

Either of these would do the job;

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0456&CATID=24&form=CAT&SUBCATID=595
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0426&CATID=24&form=CAT&SUBCATID=595

BTW, I had no idea you were in Brissy! When you're installing if you need another pair of hands give me a yell - more than happy to help.

PS, I have to say changing the headunit has made a massive difference to how the standard speakers sound. I installed a new Alpine in mine on the weekend and I'm still amazed how big the improvement is.

Greg Roles
18-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Jon is onto it!

Either of these digital babies would squeeze into below the passenger seat space which I just measured as 30cm wide x 25ish long x 7cm high.

2 x 80rms... $189!
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0420&CATID=24&form=CAT&SUBCATID=595

or better yet this more powerful, same size one. 4x50rms, with a bridge of 160rms into 4 ohms for a sub. Power the rear doors from your Alpine HU you have! $219!
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0422&CATID=24&form=CAT&SUBCATID=595

A lot of bang for the buck. You'd probably just be able to see wires at the front edge of the passenger seat, but I'm sure you could make it work. Heck, I would!

I second Jon's observation that just a HU change makes a BIG difference, sure the full speaker job is better, but bang for the buck a HU is the best option.

benno
18-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Cheers guys.

Greg - not keen on ditching the spare, even if it is just a crappy space saver. I'll be getting a bit further afield with work and play shortly and want to keep a real spare in the car.

I did look at those Jaycar amps and for some reason thought they wouldn't fit... but you're right, I just measured up the space under there and they should fit fairly easily.

So there's the 4x50 Jaycar at $220ish
And the 4x75 Focal at $500ish
And then a bit of a step up for Alpine/Arc...

Or I could get the Audio Systems F2 130 for $400ish and maybe have a go at re-using my old 6x9s in the parcel tray for a bit more bass and hope that it will satisfy me.

Choices choices....

Jon - yeah I could DIY an enclosure but I fuggin hate working with fiberglass and paying some other sucker to do it is much more appealing! (And I can't completely copy everything Greg does and make an MDF enclosure.) I think for a weird little shaped corner of the car 'glass is the way to go.

Here's the box I built for the back of my '58 Beetle:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/IMG_0351-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/IMG_0354-2.jpg
:D

Sounds absolutely awesome in that little cabin.

Paul_OH
18-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry, just realised I repeated my findings again (refer post #19) :duh:. But I am really happy with the setup :banana:

Greg Roles
19-03-2009, 08:17 AM
You'd better not copy me, as I am the only person with an MDF sub box, and actually have a patent pending on it.

Go your hardest young fella, you'll never catch up to me.:biggrin:

benno
19-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Sorry, just realised I repeated my findings again (refer post #19) :duh:. But I am really happy with the setup :banana:

Paul, cheers mate, I forgot about that. Where did you get yours? Will do some reading this arvo.

Greg - I reckon I just might, the DSG would be worth a few tenths I reckon :biggrin:

I'm rooted. Stupid night shift. :duh:

Paul_OH
19-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Paul, cheers mate, I forgot about that. Where did you get yours? Will do some reading this arvo.

I purchased and had it installed by Alberts Car Stereo here in perth, www.carstereo.com.au A quality company and one that has a very good reputation on the West coast (I have no affiliation in any way, shape or form!)

Cheers,

Paul

benno
30-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Picking up a new amp tomorrow. Blaupunkt THA, 2x75 RMS - $60!

I will eventually get something nicer for the front stage but this is too cheap to pass up. And it may be powerful enough to run a little 8" sub later anyway.

benno
31-03-2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/photo1-1.jpg

It's a tiny little thing.

Not going to bother with the PnP harness, so I'll just wait until I have the new HU in so that I have some RCA outs before I install it.

I think it will do nicely as a sub amp too, when I upgrade the front stage. Rated at 1x190RMS.

Mr İharisma
02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
They really are tiny. Great thing is it doesn't effect the performance. You will definately have to let us know how it goes. :biggrin:

02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Geez that is really small!

Greg Roles
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Even Polar might consider one given the low weight! :biggrin:

glidn
02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
nice little amp,

if you are willing to part with it, let me know.

benno
03-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Lol I just got it mate!

I know where you can get the monoblock version cheap if you're interested.

benno
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
****ing amp doesn't work. Not happy Jan.

06-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Bugger!

Got voltage on power and remote wire?

benno
06-04-2009, 09:51 PM
This thing is supposed to switch on automatically when it senses high level input. The green light comes on, and turns off, when the high level plug is inserted/removed, so that part seems to be working.

I cut the factory harness and inserted the amp between HU and speakers ...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/photo1-1.jpg

These little plugs are what the amp uses - one is high level input and the other is high level output, going back to the speakers. When plugged into each other like in the picture, the HU powers the speakers just as it used to - L=L, R=R etc. So I don't think my wiring is at fault.

But plugged into the amp, with appropriate lights on, nothing happens. Gains LPF etc checked.

I tried an auxillary source as well, but no joy.

Is this earth good enough?
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/photo2-1.jpg

Yeah, I know the 4g cable is overkill but I can run two amps off it later if need be.

07-04-2009, 06:59 AM
What size cable is that ground? You'll need at least 8ga. When I first put mine in the ground I selected in the centre console wasn't good enough, so nothing happened, but moving it to another bolt there worked :duh:

benno
07-04-2009, 07:10 AM
The ground is a 4g also. The little brown wire in that pic is something else that is grounded there - you can just see the black cover over my 4g ground running off downward in the pic. I'll clean up the contacts etc or try another ground and see what happens...

benno
07-04-2009, 08:17 AM
No dice. ****.

Mr İharisma
07-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Did you turn your headunit on / fuse in the holder ... j/k :)

Perhaps you should try running a remote wire anyways, just to check if everything is ok that way. Just use an acc for the time being from a cigg lighter etc. See if that turns the bad boy on. If you have another amp lying round, hook that up to the power and see if it gives you some love.

Does it have a switch to toggle between normal mode and PnP mode?

You should also try plugging something into the AUX port to see that works as well.

benno
07-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah fuse in - the green light on the amp comes on, which indicates that it has power and is active. There is a red error light light which comes on briefly and switches off.

I tried the acc wire to supplement the existing pnp stuff but that didn't help. The manual indicates that the green light means the amp is active - this light switches on when the pnp harness is plugged in.

Nah, no switch to toggle between pnp/normal.

I didn't try the aux in port as I couldn't find a 3.5mm stereo cable, but I plugged an ipod into the RCA in and ran an acc wire to turn it on - still no love.

Greg Roles
07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I know just splicing into the head to speaker harness should work, but the whole CAN-BUS system is WEIRD, and perhaps it's not that simple?

Can you hook it up to a spare speaker, power it from the car, and just see if you have ANY output? The ipod with a spare speaker should let you see if the amp is working???

Oh and cable overkill isn't a problem to anyone but Polar. I have full car length 00 guage both plus and minus.

benno
07-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Cogdoc I'll give that a go shortly. I think I'll power it off a spare battery I have lying around though.

Mr İharisma
07-04-2009, 05:45 PM
At this stage I would look to a donar car who has working amps and change the Blaupunkt into that.

Hate to say it but it sounds bad dude.

benno
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I just got back from the grudge.

I powered the amp off a spare battery, green light came on appropriately etc. Source was an ipod nano and iphone, via RCA cable to the RCA in. Sound output to a spare home audio speaker.

Nothing.

I'll try for a refund....

On the plus side, since disconnecting the car battery, the car really seems to drive nicer. It pulls a bit harder in the mid range and the DSG is a bit better behaved...

And I've established I've got a bit more room under the front seat than I thought... I could *just* squeeze a 320mm amp in there.

Mr İharisma
07-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Hard luck mate, where did you get it from?

D/c the battery will reset the ECU so it will re-learn your driving style :D

benno
08-04-2009, 08:10 AM
The amp was advertised on ebay, but I missed the auction and just bought it privately.

Re: ECU reset, yeah that's true for the DSG but the engine really does seem to pull harder in the mid range...

Also, anyone know why there's a 3.5mm stereo jack floating around behind the HU? Looks like its part of the factory harness.

And, anyone know what the bluetooth module looks like or where it is? I have an RCD300 with VW bluetooth.

benno
12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Hey guys,
Just saw these:
http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt

6.5" subs! I'm curious as to how they'd go free air in the rear doors.... Whaddaya reckon?

benno
13-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I just did the World Dodgiest Install and put my old amp on the floor behind the passenger seat and my old sub box in the boot:

Sounds kinda noisy and crackly due to the **** amp and really, really **** LOCs I got from Jaycar. But, it still sounds a million times better than before. The HSKs now sound as I remember them, nice and warm with midbass that really kicks. And having a sub again is awesome.

I haven't had time to tune anything properly yet. Any suggestions as to x-over points? 6.5" splits up front and a 12 Blau sub in a sealed enclosure.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/photo3-1.jpg

Greg Roles
14-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Well I've heard all manner of crossover points, from 60 to 125hz for the sub. As my still largely untuned system has a nice response at about 100hz, I'm finding a nice sound with the sub runing 100hz down, and the mids 125hz up. Measures out pretty flat with the combined rolloff even with 25hz gap.

Still tinkerin'...

Greg Roles
14-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey guys,
Just saw these:
http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt

6.5" subs! I'm curious as to how they'd go free air in the rear doors.... Whaddaya reckon?

Didn't see free air mentioned... but they'd be a great mid/sub for a rear door if you didn't have a dedicated sub planned. My little Boston does mention free air...as do several others, perhaps go hunting mate!

benno
02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Well I worked through Easter and earned some good o/t, plus it was my birthday last week so I treated myself to an audison srx2 and installed it today. Haven't finished tuning or tweaking yet but it sounds great so far. It has an in built LOC which is much higher quality than the jaycar one.

Mr İharisma
03-05-2009, 09:00 AM
They are a great little amp. I have had one for over 3 years and it has never missed a beat. Small and powerful, what more could you want. :D