PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know arrival of Superb?

PROJET - L
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Just wondering when the Superb will arrive in showrooms?
Very impressive car at the Melbourne Motor show.

phaeton
06-03-2009, 07:19 PM
June IIRC :)

It was impressive but priced to close to Passat; its going to either help them or ruin Skoda for not undercutting VW.

gregozedobe
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Pricing too close to equivalent model VWs is definitely hindering Skoda. In Europe it is the cheaper alternative to VW and therefore has its own market segment below VW, in Oz it seems to be an obscure euro brand directly competing with a well known and trusted brand (VW). And of course pretty well all the Skoda dealers are part of a bigger VW dealership.

I think Skodas are great cars, but in these hard times a brand needs more than support by a small number of enthusiasts to succeed.

woofy
06-03-2009, 08:54 PM
In all honesty, if it was just VW vs Skoda even at the same price point, I would still have the Skoda as its bigger in the right places and has a hatch. The Jettas boot opening seems crap in comparison...the Superb offers much the same advantage.....Thats without even mentioning that overall Skodas build seems to be better than VW...it all depends on what people want.

PROJET - L
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
totally agree Woofy.
It seems Skoda is doing the quality thing that VW forgot about around 8 years ago.

Golf Loon
06-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes, but they are still priced too high.

They need to slice $5k off the price of the Octavia. $8k would be better and sell lots of em.

I`d still have one over a Jetta, less bling and better boot, but I`ll probably wait till they are two years old and have been smashed on resale values.

Better marketing and affiliation with VW would help more I reckon.

woofy
07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Hmm don't forget, maybe they are positioning them closer in price to keep resale up as well. With our crap dollar, they probably don't have a heap more room to go now, add in the fact that Jettas and a lot of golfs are made in SA or Mexico, somehow I think Skodas probably cost more to make...but then there is the better quality ratings to go with that.

If Skoda keeps on top of things quality wise, its possible they may start to be on parity in buyers minds.

chisler
07-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Superb's are huge in the mid section/passenger part of the car, that makes me believe that skoda are targeting themselves more as a big family car.

I haven't seen any VW, Audi, or Seat's with similar designs yet.

woofy
07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Had a look at the Superb, its a huge car, very nicely done though. Also spied the RS sedan, and then noticed that they had the controls on the steering wheel..I knew they were getting the touchscreen Bolero, but didn't realise the steering wheel controls (including the bluetooth) was there, ugly steering wheel, but would love those features, and the SD card reading ability. Don't much like the changes in the instrument readout though, seems changed for the hell of it, and things aren't quite as easy to read,

Also noticed it had the new bigger side mirrors...definitely like the current lights over the new ones, they just don't look right with the rest of the car.

gerhard
07-03-2009, 06:00 PM
The one at the show was $55000 as displayed, IIRC.

The Audi Q5 is just $5000 more, I would rather have that, even though I realise they are not really in the same segment.

It was beautifully screwed together, though. Resale would probably be poor, since in say 5 years no-one would remember they existed.

chisler
08-03-2009, 04:26 PM
is the V6 Superb $55k? and the V6 Q5 only $60?
yeah a V6 Audi for $60K would be the buy of the century, though I'm a little doubtful :frown:

woofy
08-03-2009, 11:01 PM
The one I saw at the show yesterday was a diesel and was 48k...maybe 55k with the options fitted.

Transporter
09-03-2009, 01:16 PM
is the V6 Superb $55k? and the V6 Q5 only $60?
yeah a V6 Audi for $60K would be the buy of the century, though I'm a little doubtful :frown:

V6 Q5 is more than $72k.
4cyl TDI or petrol would be $60k.

woofy
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
To compare it properly, you'd have to compare a Q5 to a Tiguan...or the Yeti...Space in the Q5 is just as small as the Tiguan...even an Octy or Jetta is a lot bigger.