PDA

View Full Version : Starting up problem...again

SOHC
23-11-2006, 01:38 AM
I know this problem occurs to a few(at least) mk3 owners, but seems some of us don't get the right diagnose answer. It just get me angry when I crank my engine up. Have no idea why my engine just couldn't start up at first most time. Most of the time I realise I have to give a bit of gas to start her up. but few of the times the techo still wanna drop below 800 and gives up. I believe it shouldn't be the chip inside the key, nor spark plugs and leads. I have not much technical sense, or whatever you call...I got two questions upon this problem:
1. Does oil viscosity make this occur? As I always chuck 5W-30 EDGE oil all the time since i bought my car, but a garage just suddenly wanna chuck 10W-30 Helix in it during the major service, and seems they only topped it up to 2.5/4 of the stick.
2. My Mk3 has an ADY engine in it, and I took out the duct which link between the panel and the "Air Box" is, and got a duct down front instead, would this let the sensor send the wrong signal???
So if not the two above causing this, what you reckon it should be???
THANKS A LOT

Carlson

Golf Loon
23-11-2006, 08:00 AM
I dont reckon its oil and unlikely to be the air ducting if it is intermittant.
What about vacuum lines, especially to the ecu? Are they frayed and tired looking?

Golfer
23-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Hope this doesn't sound too blonde, but could it possibly be the wiring harness to the AFM? I just remember mine was a tiny bit loose on the XR8 at one point, and the big mongrel would go to sleep and not want to start, in exactly the same way. Maybe the sensor is clogged or broken? Just an idea...

Bug_racer
23-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Start with a vag com scan and work from there . There are just too many possibilities

BlackVr6ix
23-11-2006, 10:31 AM
carlson, i'll bring my laptop and vag-com along on saturday/sunday and see what we can discover.

SOHC
23-11-2006, 10:48 AM
ah, okay thanks a lot for your help guys
anyway i will just try looking at the possibilites you stated above
and I am pretty looking forward to see some of you over the weekends and VWs!;)

Cheers
Carlson