PDA

View Full Version : What is your best fuel economy?

Transporter
26-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking about replacing our ageing Subaru Forester with Tiguan or other diesel powered small SUV when this article came today in my e-mail.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=26392

So what is your best fuel economy Tiguans?
Measured from the fuel docket not the MFD, please.

VW Convert
26-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Pretty impressive but this exert from the story is more impressive:-

The X-TRAILs used for the journey were both powered by 2.0-litre turbocharged engines, offering the latest common rail direct injection technology and 16-valves per cylinder. With a manual transmission, these power-plants are capable of producing 127kW and offer a torque peak of 360Nm at a low 2000rpm.

So that's their secret! j:

Cheers

George

NZTiguan
26-02-2009, 08:51 PM
So what is your best fuel economy Tiguans?
Measured from the fuel docket not the MFD, please.

6.6l/100k over a 1700 km round trip up the West coast of the South Island and back down the East, average speed 84kph, lots of up and down and windy stuff particularly on the West coast. Plenty of guys in GB getting high 40s to the gallon (in some cases 50 +) with flat motor-way driving. The only way you could realistically compare vehicles would be running them side by side BUT to date, aside from the article you have linked to your post, I haven't seen another SUV that will go even close to the Tig. Having driven an X-Trail I know for certain that the Tig is where my backside would be !!

Cheers

TonyTA
26-02-2009, 09:23 PM
We drive Brissie to the Gold Coast along the Freeway on Saturday night and got just under 6.5L/100Km (Tig MFD).

This was my first real outing in the Tig so you can understand that I was not trying to extract best fuel economy...

Not sure I could get an extra 1.8L/100Km or so...but I'd say the Tig driving experience is worth that much more than the X-Trail any day!
;-)

JustCruisn
26-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I had a 103 for a week.
I drove it like my GTI and the screen said average 10.2l/100.

Transporter
26-02-2009, 10:29 PM
6.6l/100k over a 1700 km round trip up the West coast of the South Island and back down the East, average speed 84kph, lots of up and down and windy stuff particularly on the West coast. Plenty of guys in GB getting high 40s to the gallon (in some cases 50 +) with flat motor-way driving. The only way you could realistically compare vehicles would be running them side by side BUT to date, aside from the article you have linked to your post, I haven't seen another SUV that will go even close to the Tig. Having driven an X-Trail I know for certain that the Tig is where my backside would be !!

Cheers

6.6L/100k is good fuel economy for auto Tig.
The X-Trails were manuals.

tiggy888
05-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I have now put 15000km on my Manual TDI Tiggy and comute within Sydney traffic each day. I have fitted a DP Chip to mine and in peak hour traffic and a bit of weekend driving I am averaging 840km to a full tank. Have not done alot of hwy driving but will be driving from Sydney to Gold Coast in May so will be interesting to see what i can get out of tank.
Cheers

clip
07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
hey, listen fella's, not all tigs are diesels you know! :)

But then I guess there's really not much point in putting up my fuel economy figures - they look laughable against yours! But just don't get in my way on the road OK! :driver:

Tigga1
08-03-2009, 12:01 PM

But then I guess there's really not much point in putting up my fuel economy figures - they look laughable against yours! But just don't get in my way on the road OK! :driver:

what economy are you getting, clip?
mine's does about 8.6 on a long trip, normal day to day 9.3

made any more changes to the polar bear?:driver:

Russ59
08-03-2009, 02:23 PM

You'd be surprised how well most diesels go nowadays (if you haven't driven one) I doubt that they would slow you down and may even surprise you when you hit the hills :eek:

Russ

clip
08-03-2009, 05:26 PM
You'd be surprised how well most diesels go nowadays (if you haven't driven one) I doubt that they would slow you down and may even surprise you when you hit the hills :eek:Russ
I knew that'd work! :grin:

Russ, I have driven them, and they do go very well - would love to have driven a remapped one. But I still prefer the performance of a petrol engine.

clip
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
what economy are you getting, clip?
mine's does about 8.6 on a long trip, normal day to day 9.3

made any more changes to the polar bear?:driver:
About the same I think Tigga. I seem to be averaging around the 8.8 - I'm happy with that. Be interesting to see how the remap affects it.

No more changes yet, but I'm giving it to Guy this week I think. Then the rear sway bar, exhaust, air intake, intercooler... and that should be about it! :rolllaugh:

Russ59
08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I knew that'd work! :grin:

Russ, I have driven them, and they do go very well - would love to have driven a remapped one. But I still prefer the performance of a petrol engine.

I wasn't biting mate, but you'd be surprised how many people (including some forum members) who still refer to diesels as slow old dinosaurs, little do they know that the 103 KW TDI goes like a T-Rex with its' tail on fire and 125 kw GT TDI goes like a Velociraptor on steroids :biggrin:

Russ

Tigga1
10-03-2009, 07:29 PM
About the same I think Tigga. I seem to be averaging around the 8.8 - I'm happy with that. Be interesting to see how the remap affects it.

No more changes yet, but I'm giving it to Guy this week I think. Then the rear sway bar, exhaust, air intake, intercooler... and that should be about it! :rolllaugh:
clip, be sure, be VERY sure, to tell us of your experience after this week...
the future of Tigs in Qld, maybe even in Oz, depends on it...:)

clip
11-03-2009, 07:27 PM
clip, be sure, be VERY sure, to tell us of your experience after this week...
the future of Tigs in Qld, maybe even in Oz, depends on it...:)

Ok, then I'd better not post anything just yet. Stand by for report.