PDA

View Full Version : A/C pain thread!!!

Golfer
20-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Took my car to Australian Continental Motors today, as Claus is a master on German cars, and he does A/C.

With summer on the way, aircon is a fantastic thing to have, yeah? Sure... if it works. Mine, however didn't. No worries, i'll take it to get fixed. Claus pressure tested it today and found some disturbing problems -

1. Blocked and corroded TX valve ($190)

2. Blocked reciever-dryer ($150 or $115 - Claus can be hard to understand, it's the genuine German accent :))

Both need to be replaced, some seals repaired, vacuumed, gassed and resealed. Total $600 PLUS!!! I was supposed to get the car back fixed tonight, but the TX valve has a frozen bolt, so i'll have to wait until tomorrow now... I MISS MY BABY!!!

OK, here's why I wrote - Claus has given me some invaluable information that i didn't know until he told me...

It is not often a problem during a hot summer, when A/C systems are used almost daily, but it is imparative that VW A/C systems are run AT LEAST once a week, even during winter, even if you run them on heat, as long as the A/C is running. The seals inside the system dry up very quickly and become brittle if they are not exposed to the A/C oil regularly. On top of that, the abovementioned parts block easily unless the gas/oil is circulated throughout them regularly. And believe me, the repairs are expensive!!!

Having made the mistake myself, i offer you guys my newly aquired knowledge so that you won't make the same mistake i (or the previous owner) made. An aircon regas costs under 200 bucks, but you can spend the better part of a thousand dollars if you neglect your systems needs.

Sorry if something similar has been posted before, but i am so upset about how much my porta-antarctica is gonna cost me, you guys shouldn't have to cop it too...

Cheers all. John :cool:

SOHC
20-11-2006, 04:23 PM
John... don't worry, mine was having bit of leak as well and it needed a bit of welding and regas... 200bucks and still the aircon is like...sxit... however I won't use it much unless its 35 above, engine just ain't strong enough to run with A/C

Cheers
Carlson

DubSteve
20-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Took my car to Australian Continental Motors today, as Claus is a master on German cars, and he does A/C.

With summer on the way, aircon is a fantastic thing to have, yeah? Sure... if it works. Mine, however didn't. No worries, i'll take it to get fixed. Claus pressure tested it today and found some disturbing problems -

1. Blocked and corroded TX valve ($190)

2. Blocked reciever-dryer ($150 or $115 - Claus can be hard to understand, it's the genuine German accent :))

Both need to be replaced, some seals repaired, vacuumed, gassed and resealed. Total $600 PLUS!!! I was supposed to get the car back fixed tonight, but the TX valve has a frozen bolt, so i'll have to wait until tomorrow now... I MISS MY BABY!!!

OK, here's why I wrote - Claus has given me some invaluable information that i didn't know until he told me...

It is not often a problem during a hot summer, when A/C systems are used almost daily, but it is imparative that VW A/C systems are run AT LEAST once a week, even during winter, even if you run them on heat, as long as the A/C is running. The seals inside the system dry up very quickly and become brittle if they are not exposed to the A/C oil regularly. On top of that, the abovementioned parts block easily unless the gas/oil is circulated throughout them regularly. And believe me, the repairs are expensive!!!

Having made the mistake myself, i offer you guys my newly aquired knowledge so that you won't make the same mistake i (or the previous owner) made. An aircon regas costs under 200 bucks, but you can spend the better part of a thousand dollars if you neglect your systems needs.

Sorry if something similar has been posted before, but i am so upset about how much my porta-antarctica is gonna cost me, you guys shouldn't have to cop it too...

Cheers all. John :cool:

:o
Excellent info there John thanks for the heads up on that. I usually run my air con at least a couple of times a week after a wash my car instead of putting down the windows I put on the a/c. I never knew that before so thats awesome. My heater wasn't working in my previous vr6 and they wanted something like $1400 to fix it and I only had that car during the winter :(. Make sure to keep us up to date to see what happens after you get it back.

deemoE36
20-11-2006, 04:41 PM
thanx for sering that with us, i never used mine but now ill make sure i turned it on now and then to keep it running
its not a good feeling when u have to spend serious $ to make one little thing work
even tho i dont use mine unless my windshield is seriously foggy for some reason or when is 35 and up, the fact that there is a piece of machinery in the car that is not operating is what eats me alive

cheers

ausgolfer
20-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Fortunately or unfortunately it's not a only VW related problem as I think most vehicle a/c systems suffer from the same problem.

Never the less invaluable info for those who don't know.;)

peedman
20-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Bugger that! I was just thinking that mine needs a regas, I hope its not that bad :(

SOHC
20-11-2006, 04:54 PM
ahhh...btw does anybody have a problem with the recycling system as well?? mine doesn't work !!:mad: just blowing dust onto my face...:D

Golfer
20-11-2006, 04:59 PM
No worries guys, It hadn't really worried me until my drivers power window gave up the ghost, and then we had a spate of really hot days... not cool! (apologies for the pun j: ) so i realised that in this part of the world with high heat and high humidity it's not great if you can't escape it. Throw in a couple of traffic jams, and an afternoon thunderstorm, and i was sold on getting the A/C fixed. The cost was, um, rather unexpected. Nevertheless i'm sure that as soon as my new window regulator arrives from Andrew, i'll whack that puppy in, crank down my beloved window, and only use the A/C (to full effect) when i can smell my arm hairs burning :). You can be damn sure though, I'll be running that sucker religously from now on once or twice a week!!! 600 bucks... pfft :o

Cheers, John :cool:

bombsquad21
20-11-2006, 05:37 PM
this sounds like doom for me, after spending $1200 on a new compressor and everything else for the polo. My Golf has just decided it doesnt wanna blow cold air. I live in Brisbane and drive a lot...I need cold air. I will regas first and hope(and pray) for the best.

brackie
20-11-2006, 08:31 PM
All types of refrigeration require frequent running to keep the seals in good order. Oil is circulated with the gas and this keeps the seals soft, lubricates the compressor and provides extra sealing at the lips and "O" rings. It's essential that you run the compressor regularly throughout the year in order to keep the oil moving. If you do this then the system will run trouble-free for years and as long as there's no mechanical damage probably outlast the engine. The receiver/dryer will need replacement as time goes by but will last for a hell of a time as long as you run the compressor regularly. TX valves usually fail because they get clogged with *****.
We have 2 milk vats on the farm and a visit from the fridgies never comes at less than $750 so it's in our best interests to keep things in good order. They never spew a problem during the milking season as they run every day so our policy now is to run them at least once a week when the goats are dried off during winter so that they can go straight into service in the spring without a problem.
Think of your fridge in the kitchen and the number of times a day it kicks in and out. Your air conditioner n the car works on exactly the same principles. ;)

aprr32
20-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Did you know
Australian delivered Golf Cabs with AC fitted in Aust(dealer) were turned on when in reverse.Thats right, the reverse light swith turned on the AC and kept in in good working order even in winter. Now theres a thought!

Golf Loon
20-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I have a tale of AC pain too.

I have had two compressors on a shelf in the garage for a year and no-one has asked me for one. Then last week two people asked and got them at rock bottom prices. You know who you are :)

Then I had to call out the AC guy to regass the wifes new"" Toledo, "Just needs Gas" I think the guy said. Also we have a Mk3 for Sale that also needs gas. Kill two with one stone I thought. One call out charge, 2 working AC units.
Both proved to have broken compressors. Aaaaargh.
$800 for a new one, $300 from the wreckers. BAH. :mad:

Managed to score a couple of cheapies today though. I hope they work.

Just for your info too guys all 4 cylinder VAG compressors are the same, Golf 3, Seat Ibiza, Seat Cordoba and Polo up till 98.

rayray086
20-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Thank you very much for sharing that Golfer! Fortunately my A/C is working great at the moment, but unfortunately, I don't use A/C much unless it's EXTREMELY hot. It just drains fuel and power out of my Golf and sometimes I prefer driving with the windows down. But after coming across this info, I'll definitely turn it on a bit more often!

DubSteve
21-11-2006, 09:22 AM
To potentially save the car from spending big bucks on it. I guess you have to sacrifice the petrol and the power that it has, even if it doesn't have very much.

rayray086
21-11-2006, 10:06 AM
To potentially save the car from spending big bucks on it. I guess you have to sacrifice the petrol and the power that it has, even if it doesn't have very much.

Yeah definitely, now that I've come across this info. Guess I'll have to live with A/C luxury so potentially save on money after all :)

Golfer
21-11-2006, 03:28 PM
For sure, a few cents here and there (best when on the highway because you don't miss the power as much) has got to be better than the small fortune i takes to repair the A/C...

Meanwhile i'm still waiting on the car. I don't think i'll get it back today, the bolt just didn't want to give up the TX valve. I'll let y'all know how it all went, if i ever get my car back :( :( :( :(

Golf Loon
21-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I changed 2 Ac compressors today. The Toledo 16v one was a pr1k to get at, no clearance. The Mk3 Golf 8v was a breeze in comparison. Now I need the Ac gas man to come and gas me up baby. I hope these second hand compressors work.

Golfer
24-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Ok, here's the latest in my A/C drama. This damn thing's making Chineese water torture look like a pleasurable past-time :(.

Finally they managed to get the TX valve out by grinding the bottom end out of it. I get a phone call saying that the valve is out and my car would be ready for the arvo (wed arvo).

When I went in, Claus told me that there was another problem with the system... Yep you guessed it - THE COMPRESSOR!!! Well, the compressor problem didn't show it's ugly head until the TX valve was removed and the obstructions cleared, then the system was nitrogen flushed nice and clean, and when it was time to regas the system, the pressure on the inlet side of the compressor climbed to over 80 psi!!! The valves inside have gone to hell, AND THEY'RE TAKING ME WITH THEM!!!!!!!! New compressor? $3050 RRP VW Gen, $1100 appx German A/M, remanufactured? OOTQ. My bill is skyrocketing to over $1800!!!

FOR GOD'S SAKE GUYS, LOOK AFTER YOUR A/C SYSTEMS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the pain...
John :(

syncro
24-11-2006, 02:36 PM
You have to be careful with compressors as they need to be sealed as soon as the hose is off. They don't last long after they are removed from the car.

DubSteve
25-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Ok, here's the latest in my A/C drama. This damn thing's making Chineese water torture look like a pleasurable past-time :(.

Finally they managed to get the TX valve out by grinding the bottom end out of it. I get a phone call saying that the valve is out and my car would be ready for the arvo (wed arvo).

When I went in, Claus told me that there was another problem with the system... Yep you guessed it - THE COMPRESSOR!!! Well, the compressor problem didn't show it's ugly head until the TX valve was removed and the obstructions cleared, then the system was nitrogen flushed nice and clean, and when it was time to regas the system, the pressure on the inlet side of the compressor climbed to over 80 psi!!! The valves inside have gone to hell, AND THEY'RE TAKING ME WITH THEM!!!!!!!! New compressor? $3050 RRP VW Gen, $1100 appx German A/M, remanufactured? OOTQ. My bill is skyrocketing to over $1800!!!

FOR GOD'S SAKE GUYS, LOOK AFTER YOUR A/C SYSTEMS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the pain...
John :(

Dear God man the pain, the agany, hopefully after this nothing else will go wrong. Poor Poor Poor Soul.

WEDEL.1
25-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Just had the CLs A/C fixed. It hadn't worked since we bought the car in March 06.

New TX Valve, New dryer & regas. After that, it still didn't work. The compressor was broken, but I could have another for $1200. I called my good friend Paul Kennedy at the Volksfactory & he got me a used one for what he paid for it, $250.00.

At the end it cost $980 to fix it so it worked.

Maris

DubSteve
26-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Wow thats a pretty good price there. Good work there Green T4

WEDEL.1
27-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Mainly thanks to the Volksfactory, Holden Hill.

Maris

DVR68U
27-11-2006, 12:19 PM
yeah mine hasnt worked for over 5yrs , im seriously thinking abouy tearing it out after hearing how much it costs to fix :( at least my vr6 will rev quicker :)
cheers brenton

Golfer
27-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't want to jinx myself, but hopefully i'll get the golf back tomorrow. Claus is going to pass on his cost to me for the compressor, so i get a brand new sanden compressor for $925. Still don't know how much the grand total is gonna be, but i'll let you all know. I got my new window reg today from Andrew, so i'm keen as to chuck it in...
Tomorrow hopefully...

Thanks for your support and advice guys, it's made it that much easier just knowing that i'm not completely alone with my problems.

I think it really is better to spend a little now, rather than a lot later... I think i find that out many years too late.

All I can say is that I hope this A/C is colder than an iceberg on pluto!!!!!!!!! j:

Cheers,
John :cool:

Golfer
29-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Hooray!!!

I got the car back yesterday afternoon...

New TX valve
New Reciever/Dryer
New Sanden Compressor
System resealled, flushed, vacuumed and gassed up with the good stuff

Total $1490.13!!!

In the end, Claus really came through, so i should say if ur ever around Tweed Heads, it's worth dropping in to Continental Australian Motors, as long as ur not in a hurry j:

The A/C registered at 6 degrees at idle... Nice and chilly :D

Once again I got the warning to make sure i ran the A/C at least once a week for a minimum 5-10 minutes...

Cheers!!!

DubSteve
29-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Hooray!!!

I got the car back yesterday afternoon...

New TX valve
New Reciever/Dryer
New Sanden Compressor
System resealled, flushed, vacuumed and gassed up with the good stuff

Total $1490.13!!!

In the end, Claus really came through, so i should say if ur ever around Tweed Heads, it's worth dropping in to Continental Australian Motors, as long as ur not in a hurry j:

The A/C registered at 6 degrees at idle... Nice and chilly :D

Once again I got the warning to make sure i ran the A/C at least once a week for a minimum 5-10 minutes...

Cheers!!!

Congrats John,
Hopefully it all works out for you now, and there are no more troubles.

bombsquad21
29-11-2006, 10:02 AM
continuing the spirit of the thread i'll report my own ac problems...
1. a/c stopped blowing cold air
2. did nothing for 3 weeks
3. went on the SEQ cruise on sunday and with the windows down was like driving directly on the surface of the sun.
4. Monday went to KMJ Europarts and Service, newly opened in Sumner Park, Brisbane QLD. Marcus hooked up his brand new a/c machine, inserted a little dye, a little gas and sent me on my way.
5. a/c was cold on the way home, just like it was before!
6. Next morning no a/c!!!
7. Green dye located around the two hoses running into the right side of the a/c compressor. There is a plate there that seems to be attached by a single allen key bolt. Is it possible that the O-ring seal or seals (probably 2) are perished and thats all I need replaced to keep me sane this summer?
8. It's 38degrees at my place today.

Thanks

DubSteve
29-11-2006, 10:35 AM
SNAP!!! lol thats no good well all I can say is place ice cubes in your pants for cool comfort lol.

Golf Loon
29-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah sounds like the 2 round seals. They are an uncommon size, but easy to change if you have a hex key.

bombsquad21
29-11-2006, 11:11 AM
thanks Matt!

I really hope it is those two, I guess it's just a case of emptying the system then, and finding the seals. Does anyone know if the seals are have vw part no's or is it just a case of finding a size to match?

beancounter
19-05-2007, 05:50 PM
My compressor has just majorly shat. Like completely seized. Looking through this thread has given me some nasty indications of the cost of new replacement. (Saturday night, so no chance of phoning around at the moment)

What sort of experiences have people had with second hand compressors? I read in the thread that they have to be "sealed up" after removal?

What is a reasonable price for a second hand unit?

cheers

madglf3
27-05-2007, 04:58 PM
So if you can feel the compressor changing the engine speed when you put the AC switch on, then the compressor isn't stuffed? it may just be a minor problem? sorry for the noobish question.
-Matt

brackie
27-05-2007, 05:16 PM
So if you can feel the compressor changing the engine speed when you put the AC switch on, then the compressor isn't stuffed? it may just be a minor problem? sorry for the noobish question.
-Matt
G'day. Your car's electronics should compensate for the increased load of the compressor by automatically increasing the idle speed, so a slow down isn't really a good indication of whether or not the compressor is compressing. Look in the glass window on top of the receiver/dryer and you should see bubbles passing. This would indicate that the compressor is pumping the refrigerant around the system, but the only way to be sure that the compressor is OK is to pressure test it.

And yes... If you open your a/c system to the air for any length of time you'll damage it. If the compressor is removed it should be immediately sealed so that no moisture can enter.

Golf Loon
27-05-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a second hand compressor here with 103000kms on it for $180
Or I can get your one rebuilt with all new seals for $450 exchange with 6 months warranty.

They all break on the Golf 3s. I usually stockpile em through the winter then sell 4 in a week when summer kicks in :)

cusack
27-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi All

Whats the deal with "re-gassing" the AC?

I was under the assumption that if an AC needs to be regassed, then obviously the gas leaked out from somewhere? So shouldnt the first step be to find this leak and seal it? Then regass it? otherwise it'll just leak out again right?

Regards

MattyT
27-05-2007, 07:55 PM
I believe its just a natural leak over time. Nothing stays airtight forever.

madglf3
28-05-2007, 05:51 PM
G'day. Your car's electronics should compensate for the increased load of the compressor by automatically increasing the idle speed, so a slow down isn't really a good indication of whether or not the compressor is compressing. Look in the glass window on top of the receiver/dryer and you should see bubbles passing. This would indicate that the compressor is pumping the refrigerant around the system, but the only way to be sure that the compressor is OK is to pressure test it.

And yes... If you open your a/c system to the air for any length of time you'll damage it. If the compressor is removed it should be immediately sealed so that no moisture can enter.

Thanks mate, yeah, the load on the revs isnt really too noticable , just a slight slight difference (not really much of a difference on the tacho). So the best bet then is to get it pressure tested and dye put into the system to look for leaks? thanks again for taking the time to help me out-Matt

beancounter
08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a second hand compressor here with 103000kms on it for $180
Or I can get your one rebuilt with all new seals for $450 exchange with 6 months warranty.

They all break on the Golf 3s. I usually stockpile em through the winter then sell 4 in a week when summer kicks in :)

Thanks for the info golf loon.

Must say with winter arriving here in melbourne, have not thought about the a/c again until the windows fog up with humidity.

I must confess how it stuffed up, because that might give some indication of whether it is able to re-conditioned. The A/c had been losing grunt for about 3 months (pretty much as long as i have had the car!). Anyway i had my nose under the bonnet, and was revving the ring out it in the back yard, out of gear, but the a/c on by chance. Anyway this bloomin awefull metallic shrieking noise starts coming out of the bottom of the engine somewhere. so of course i had to rev it some more to replicate the noise, and then on returning to idle, stall.. switch off a/c, runs ok, no noise. switch on a/c, stall.

So does this mean that I have completely minced the a/c compressor?

And could i have possibly avoided this by getting it checked out before it completely ran out of gas?

cheers

bc

(aiming to have calendar month go by with out something going wrong with the golf.!)