PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the bluetooth kit ?

Subie25L
20-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Just spoke to a dealer and asked him to look for a GTI in the spec we want. Also asked about the bluetooth phone kit and the price.

$890 installed. - I was speech less and almost fell of my chair.
:o

So does anyone have one installed and what did you pay ?
Also what is the quality like?

I was thinking it would be nice to have the wheel buttons work but for $800+ forget it.

Can you do anything with the un-used buttons on the wheel ?

DubSteve
20-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Just spoke to a dealer and asked him to look for a GTI in the spec we want. Also asked about the bluetooth phone kit and the price.

Far out thats a bit of a rip.

Lima
20-11-2006, 02:59 PM
You could try this.

http://www.brlic.ca/ParrotInstall.html

One of my MINI friends has a similar setup in his Cooper S and it works really well.

Subie25L
20-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Now i'm confused.
I just called the spare parts dept to confirm the price and they said there is no genuine bluetooth connector available in Aus and that i would need to get an aftermarket one. I asked if there was a way to get an aftermaket integrating to the wheel buttons and he said no.

Was the dealer just saying some astronomical price to get me to go away or does one exist?

Lima
20-11-2006, 03:38 PM
When we collected our GTI on the weekend the dealer mentioned something about a bluetooth option being available soon. Didn't really press for details though.

Subie25L
28-11-2006, 11:03 AM
When we collected our GTI on the weekend the dealer mentioned something about a bluetooth option being available soon. Didn't really press for details though.

Found out some more info. It VW one should be available in 6-8 weeks - no pricing yet.

The $800+ price is for an aftermarket one and most of the cost is the labour to have it installed.

Guy_H
11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
We have one of the "aftermarket" versions in our GTI - I understand VW will offer the same interface through their parts network.

Pro's -

You can use the steering wheel button.

Con's -

Very average quality
Horendous to run through the menu's
Can't put microphone in factory receptacle.
Independant speaker / microphone volume not available so feedback & sound quality is pretty ordinary and microphone placement is critical.

IMHO I would use the Parrot 3200 (the one above is based on the Parrot 3000) and put up with having the extra screen somewhere. We had really hoped the kit would give us some factory style bluetooth features as found in the Touareg & the Audi's RNSE - but it fails :(

Will sell ours cheap!

dilbert_rocks
15-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Also asked about the bluetooth phone kit and the price.

I was thinking it would be nice to have the wheel buttons work but for $800+ forget it.

So has anyone gone with the factory fitted (steering wheel buttons) bluetooth option? Also, is Qld Transport is still considering banning all mobile phone conversations while driving?

drb999
15-03-2007, 07:50 PM
You could try this.

One of my MINI friends has a similar setup in his Cooper S and it works really well.

After seeing that link, I think it is well worth paying $1000, just for the labour to get that installed :) That has got to be one of the most complicated stereo installs I've ever seen, I'd expect to be paid that much to touch anything related to the stereo!

However for slightly more you could also get a Garmin Nuvi 660 that does GPS, Bluetooth phone and contact list, MP3 player, and all this via FM transmitter so that you don't need to do any wiring (you plug it into the car 12V plug from time to time to recharge). Also for about $1100, it is much cheaper than any "factory" built-in GPS, but also it seems like not much more than an installed aftermarket Bluetooth kit. Plus its really slick and reasonably thin, with a "large" 4" screen.

Subie25L
16-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I ended up getting a Nokia car kit installed as it suited both my wife's non bluetooth phone and mine with bluetooth. All up as $450 installed and included a mount and cradle that doesn't need screws.

The place that installed it was www.thecarkitcompany.com.au
They were super professional and had it done within 1hr at my work. It is integrated with the stereo, it mutes it and put's the call through the car speakers. Only thing they couldn't do was the link it to the phone button on the wheel. They said if i went with the Parrot kit they could do it.

I would definiatly use them again.

origin
19-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi Guys,

Check this link out...

http://www.ryda.com.au/MetaBlue-Bluetooth-with-Steering-Wheel-Integration-p/metablue%20vwp.htm

:D :D :D

rowan_bris
20-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I have it in my R32. $480 installed which is a "special" price I gather

F6speedster
01-05-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.ryda.com.au/MetaBlue-Bluetooth-with-Steering-Wheel-Integration-p/metablue%20vwp.htm

Guys,

I have this car kit installed in my Golf with uses the factory steering controls.

Good car kit.

Panman
01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I got mine (which is apparently approved by VW South Africa) through the Car Kit Company, price was about the same, came to my work and fitted it. Works perfectly with a variety of phones, and is an invisible fit (including pausing CDs which is a nice feature, rather than just muting them).

Service was good, they were freindly and knowledgable turned up when they said they would and did a good job.

http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au

Transporter
06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
In my Golf5 it is Parrot brand Blue tooth which was fitted by the dealer. Works with the steering wheel and it is good.

dilbert_rocks
11-05-2007, 12:21 AM
You could try this.

After seeing that link, I think it is well worth paying $1000, just for the labour to get that installed :) That has got to be one of the most complicated stereo installs I've ever seen, I'd expect to be paid that much to touch anything related to the stereo!

However for slightly more you could also get a Garmin Nuvi 660 that does GPS, Bluetooth phone and contact list, MP3 player, and all this via FM transmitter so that you don't need to do any wiring (you plug it into the car 12V plug from time to time to recharge). Also for about $1100, it is much cheaper than any "factory" built-in GPS, but also it seems like not much more than an installed aftermarket Bluetooth kit. Plus its really slick and reasonably thin, with a "large" 4" screen.

This site has about the best technical info on the Parrot range I've seen. :D
http://www.parrot.biz/uk/support/installationdiagrams

This is for the CK3100 connecting with a range of steering wheels for late model VW's:
http://www.parrot.biz/documents/en/support/schemasdinstallation/pdf/pinoutmulticanvw.pdf

Step-by-step installation instructions

Mic Installation above rear vision mirror
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2533362

Demo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikKTZ3uulk

To order just the ISO interface cable...
http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=145271

blur32
11-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Would be nice tho if the factory kit (which I have and works well) worked like a BMW kit: miss not been able to see who's calling or to be able to dial from my phone book. The factory is very expensive considering it does not ahve these features. Must admit, i made an assumption when ordering that this is what it would do....maybe i would've/should've bought something else

dilbert_rocks
27-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hope to pick the new Jetta up next week (ordered end March). Unfortunately, the MY07 spec doesn't have an MP3 compatible CD player (the MY08 does). I chose to save the $$$ and not opt for the iPod i'face, GPS or Bluetooth phone kit and do it as aftermarket.

I am wondering what is the best way to play MP3's through the car stereo, so that I can still make use of the steering wheel phone button.

Options I can think of are:
1) an FM transmitter (from 3.5mm stereo plug) - compatible with any audio headphone socket (for external MP3 player). Won't pause MP3 during a call, but radio would mute anyway. Lots of cables - messy.
2) getting a mobile phone that has stereo bluetooth functionality and playing MP3 via the Parrot (is this possible?)
3) getting a GPS unit that has stereo bluetooth (for music from phone) OR
4) getting a GPS unit that has an inbuilt MP3 player

I assume the GPS with inbuilt MP3 players only use the internal speakers?

Uncertain if stereo bluetooth is compatible with the Parrots via the steering wheel button. Any ideas / experience or is it just not possible???

:idea: Found some more info... looks like the MK6100 is the go...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3353688

But also saw a Parrot press release saying that ALL their bluetooth car kits support audio streaming. Is this the experience of those with Parrot kits?

tk-r32
30-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I had mine installed by VW. $790.00. Quality and feedback from clients is better then my previous Audi / nokia version. If you phone has voice activation, u can press the button on the steering wheel and you will be prompt to say the person's name, then it will reply and dial, other option, from the wheel are, redial mute /hang up etc. Great option. plus 3 year warrenty

Bazzamon
06-08-2007, 12:18 AM
My Dealer wants $998 to supply & install...... what a joke!!! bazz

The_Hawk
06-08-2007, 07:08 AM
I'm I totally insane when I think that if the vehicle supports something as a factory option, most of the wiring is already in the loom, therefore the part should almost be plug and pray. :?

Sure there may be an additional mic that needs to go in, but doesn't it use the factory speakers?

All else aside, if the Aus dealer can't get the factory standard one, is it possible for you to buy it direct from VW overseas and have it shipped?

Wonder what the unit costs from there? Also wonder what it would cost to get someone here to install it?

Just wondering out loud.

Prestige_GTI
06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
The Genuine Bluetooth kit for VW is $750 fitted from my dealership

I looked at the kit.. It comes with its own ECU, a speaker and a wiring loom.

It works on almost every bluetooth phone

It uses the factory stereo and the steering wheel button

It is one of the clearest systems ive heard actually.

ozvino
07-08-2007, 10:18 AM
FYI, I have an 05 R5 Touareg with a Parott bluetooth kit fitted; great, no issues, works perfect with a variety of phones, had it for 18 months now.

Just had a Parott "factory" bluetooth kit fitted to my 06 MkV Golf; this uses the phone button on the s/wheel, all you see is a small micrphone thats fitted on the mirror. To install it the remove the stereo, its a very neat install, all proper cables and sockets, etc. Totally seemless job. Calls come through via stereo, auto mute on stereo, etc. From memory they were about $150 cheaper than what VW quoted. Thats fitted price.

I used www.thecarkitcompany.com.au, they fitted ipod kits and bluetooth to both of my cars and did a top job. Any issues or questions and they responded very fast. Oh, they had to wait while the Golf kit came in, so they came around, fitted ipod kit and never charged me until they got the phone kit in stock and could come back and fit it. Old fashioned honesty if you ask me. Im not connected to these guys at all btw, I found them via Google.

What you all should be pissed about is that VW could build this technology into every car for a few extra bucks but they choose to cripple the technology rather than integrate it. They did that with the Touaregs also, for example, removing the chrome trim from the R5's. Make me angry.......

Given the amazing number of ****heads driving around talking on cell phones held to the ear, it really amazes me that the government doesnt legislate to make bluetooth kits mandatory in all new cars. If they did that, the cost would drop to under $50 each on top of new car prices. Small change.

How many people have you seen driving a $150,000 new motor vehicle and talking on a cell phone held up to the ear ? Its just staggering these goofballs dont shell out the extra $500 and get a hands free.....

OK, off my soap box now....

Dave

VW Convert
07-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Given the amazing number of ****heads driving around talking on cell phones held to the ear, it really amazes me that the government doesnt legislate to make bluetooth kits mandatory in all new cars. If they did that, the cost would drop to under $50 each on top of new car prices. Small change.

How many people have you seen driving a $150,000 new motor vehicle and talking on a cell phone held up to the ear ? Its just staggering these goofballs dont shell out the extra $500 and get a hands free.....

OK, off my soap box now....

Dave

I think we should be on our collective soapbox Dave, there is nothing more annoying than seeing people with the phone held to the ear whilst driving.

To achieve the basic function of making and receiving phone calls, for a little over $100 you can buy a bluetooth unit that clips over the sunvisor. I have one that is called a "Blue Ant", it has 400 hours standby time so I only rarely recharge it and because I have stored voice tags for my contacts in my phone it's as easy as pressing the mic button and saying the name to initiate a call and as easy as pressing the mic button to receive a call.

Of course it is a basic functionality and there are limitations but it underscores the point that there is NO excuse for using a hand held phone these days. It is damned dangerous and inexcuseable.

Cheers

George