PDA

View Full Version : Rattling/Ticking noise.

OEM G60
23-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi guys, would like some help here.

I recently had my Rocker Cover Gasket replaced, along with an oil change.

At the same time i had the 3 engine mounts done, Vibra Technics Front, Golf Diesel Gearbox and OE Rear Mount.

And my car sounds like a bag of spanners basically, i've got a ticking/rattling noise, sounds a bit tappety, but i don't think its due to oil cos its 10W40, what its alway ran on.

I had a look at the timing belt and tensioner, all seems good, it sounds like one of the various belts around the charger, alternator and waterpump.

I'm worried about it as i have to drive nearly EDIT 2000ks next week.

Any ideas?

Matt

h100vw
23-02-2009, 05:51 PM
de-tension the charger belt Matt. Undo the damper bolt and slide it out. Once the belt is de-tensioned, move it around so that it won't catch on anything. Run the engine and tell us what you hear.

Does the noise go away????

Gavin

Jmac
01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Process of elimination with the belts like Gav says. I think by the sounds its a lazy cam follower. There is a check for this too. with the cam cover off you can use a piece of wood or Plastic and push on the buckets. One with the least resistance is your culprit.
Good luck
Jmac

OEM G60
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Cheers guys.

I was lucky enough to catch up with the Melbourne guys the night before i left, Doms dad and Tim (Golfworx) found it to be the Power Steering Pump belt flapping around. Still a bit noisy but i've got as far as Sydney with no problemo anyway :)

Jmac
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Awesome mate thats good news
Jmac:biggrin: