PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Lottery

neil
20-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Received this in my personal email.
Anyone have any ideas how I'll spend the money.

SKODA MOTORS WORLDWIDE LTD.
SKODA Programs & Events Department
SKODA Motors
P.O. Box 100
London
L71 E20

WINNING NOTIFICATION

We are officially announcing to you the result of SKODA Motors Email Lottery
Promotion held on the 13th february 2009 as part of our programs to Launch
our new office that was commissioned on 7th of february 2009 in Manchester
United Kingdom. Your email was attached to ticket number SKODA-UK77S024477
with draw number S10N44 which consequently won you in the 2nd category prize,
your email address was extracted from our electronic email extraction which
randomly selected Forty Five (45) Lucky Winners of which your email address
was among one of the lucky winner. You have therefore been approved for a
payout of a total sum £750,000 GBP (SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND BRITISH
POUND STERLINGS).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We also advise that you keep your winning information very confidential as
our security policy demands to avoid double claims/impersonation and
unwarranted abuse of this program by some individuals. The selection process
was carried our through our computerized Email Selection System (ESS) which
selects email from a database of over 600,000 email address was drawn from
all over the continents of the World. This promotions being the first of its
kind will now take place annually and we hope you will also take part in our
next year One Million Pound Sterlings International Lottery Game. To file
your claim, you are to contact our Customer Service unit authorized to
conduct the necessary Verification to enable you receive your Cash Prize.
(You will receive more email upon acknowledgement of this email).

Customer Service Unit :

CONTACT PERSON

Mr. Jim Woo Lee
+44-703-190-7688
Email: info.sipclaimsdeppt@yahoo.com.hk
20 Queens land Road, London
SW2 3JB ENGLAND. U.K

You to contact the claims agents assigned for your claims above, and also
send an email to him, you are to provide to your agent the below under listed
information as soon as possible:

1. NAME IN FULL:
2. ADDRESS (IN FULL):
3. NATIONALITY:
4. AGE:
5. SEX
6. OCCUPATION (POSITION HELD):
7. HOME PHONE & MOBILE NUMBER:

This program is promoted and sponsored by Frontline group and SKODA
Worldwide; we intend to use this medium to help individuals generate
fortunes, which would encourage them to expand their business frontiers
thereby creating more opportunities and assisting with humanitarian Concerns
within their immediate environment. All winning must be claimed not later
than one Week of Acknowledgment. After this date all unclaimed funds will be
returned to SKODA Motors Treasury as Unclaimed.

Furthermore, should there be any change of address do inform us as soon as
possible.

Congratulations again from all our staff.

N.B: Anybody under the age of 16 is not eligible to participate in this
program.

Yours in service,
Mr Yap Yoon Soon
(Programs & Events).

Material Copyright © 2008 The SKODA Co. Ltd.

VW Convert
20-02-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm sure my wife could help you Neil, she is a champion money spender!

Let us know when you've got the money and we'll give you all the help you need, but I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting! j:.

Cheers

George

phaeton
20-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Sorry if I've misunderstood whether this is a joke or not but..............

This is SPAM do not send your address or any details to these people ;)

woofy
20-02-2009, 08:21 AM
No its definitely real, I got a confirmation email after sending in the $5000 admin fee to process it, which will get refunded to me with the winnings.

VW Convert
20-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Sorry if I've misunderstood whether this is a joke or not but..............

This is SPAM do not send your address or any details to these people ;)

Of course it is, I'm sure Neil realises that...............well I sure hope he does!
I regularly receive similar e-mails, I've even had on e purporting to be from VW........these are instant delete items of course.

Cheers

George

VW Convert
20-02-2009, 08:28 AM
No its definitely real, I got a confirmation email after sending in the $5000 admin fee to process it, which will get refunded to me with the winnings.

Not sure it is a good idea to suggest that this obvious spam e-mail is genuine because some idiot may possibly do just what you suggested you did and send their money. Perhaps you should edit your post to the effect that you are joking.

Cheers

George

brad
20-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Not sure it is a good idea to suggest that this obvious spam e-mail is genuine because some idiot may possibly do just what you suggested you did and send their money. Perhaps you should edit your post to the effect that you are joking.

Cheers

George

Surely experienced internet users aren't falling for this crap still? Even my 80 year old father-in-law knows better.

I think fools & their money will be parted no matter how many warnings, smilies or /jk references you put in.

I mean 750k quid to give away in this day and age?
Skodas marketing people Mr Lee & Mr Soon? Couldn't they call themselves Bodan & Predag for authenticity?

VW Convert
20-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Surely experienced internet users aren't falling for this crap still? Even my 80 year old father-in-law knows better.

I think fools & their money will be parted no matter how many warnings, smilies or /jk references you put in.

I mean 750k quid to give away in this day and age?
Skodas marketing people Mr Lee & Mr Soon? Couldn't they call themselves Bodan & Predag for authenticity?

You would think with all the publicity about this that people would learn but after seeing the story on TV a few months ago about people who had been fleeced of hundreds of thousands of dollars over many years in the Nigerian scam it is plain to see that greed does seem to overwhelm some people and common sense goes out the window.

I recall there was a story only last week of a guy being lured to Africa in one of these schemes only to be held hostage for weeks until a ransom was paid. Absolutely unbelievable but sadly true. :duh:

Cheers

George

brad
20-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I recall there was a story only last week of a guy being lured to Africa in one of these schemes only to be held hostage for weeks until a ransom was paid. Absolutely unbelievable but sadly true. :duh:

Oh him.... that was last year I think. IIRC there was also a certain element of little head ruling big head. Money, greed, sex - what a combination.

gregozedobe
20-02-2009, 02:19 PM
There are enough smart frauds around these days, without falling for the obvious stupid ones like the ones described above.

I had just under $5,000 transferred (on-line) out of my credit union account last year by someone who managed to successfully pretend to be me. The theory was that they had installed a screen scraper on my PC and captured my factor-2 icons as well as my account and password details. I did get it all back, but it was a sobering experience nevertheless, as I thought I was pretty careful.

My credit union has since replaced factor-2 icons with either a variable 6 digit number SMS'd to your mobile or a token that generates a varying 6 digit number that is only good for the next 60 seconds.

I have changed all my accounts and upgraded security on my PC (to Kaspersky).

No doubt the clever criminals will continue to improve their methods of stealing our money, but hopefully I will be a slightly more difficult target in future. I also opened up a new set of accounts that do NOT have on-line access, and use these to keep most of our money in, so my on-line accounts don't have a lot in them at any time.

brad
20-02-2009, 02:43 PM
upgraded security on my PC (to Kaspersky).

Scary story.

What security were you running previously?

neil
20-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Of course it is, I'm sure Neil realises that...............well I sure hope he does!
I regularly receive similar e-mails, I've even had on e purporting to be from VW........these are instant delete items of course.

Cheers

George

Ive been getting these lottery winnings lately, don't know why. I must now be a billionaire
Most have been from Africa and England then today from Skoda.
I keep hitting the block sender button but they still seem to get through.

DaveMack
20-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I've won millions each year for the past 2 or 3 ... (sigh) ... sadly, they were of a similar nature to yours (Nigerian scammer-types). :frown:

Dave

gerhard
20-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Obviously your email providers have poor or no spam filtering.

Get yourselves a GMail account, where the spam filtering is very good, and you can download using POP3 as well. Plus you can change ISP and keep the same email address.

I haven't received any winnings into my Outlook inbox :frown: but there's usually a fair few items in the spam folder on the GMail server...

gregozedobe
20-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Scary story.

What security were you running previously?

CA Vet anti-virus (no firewall then, I have that and more now)

woofy
23-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Cheers

George

Yeah I thought that, but if someone is dumb enough to send money, then I'll sleep at night still...in fact if they are dumb enough to do that, I'll provide them with a local bank account and broker it for them....may as well keep the money local.