PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Foam Gun.

WEDEL.1
18-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Anyone bought/used one?

It looks as if it is fitted to a hose. What foam does it use & where do you buy it?

Please post any other relevant info.

Maris

KWICKS
18-02-2009, 09:28 AM
You can buy a foam gun attachment for the Karcher for $22 from Bunnings. Naturally it doesn't foam as well, but for a beginner tool it's hard to not buy one to experiment with when the Wolfgang one is (I think) $100 more.

They use car shampoo (choose or experiment), diluted in the reservoir and further diluted by the water from the high pressure cleaner. When mixed with air they make the suds. The best ones make suds like shaving cream, the worst ones like the foam in the top of your bucket of car wash you just diluted with the hose.

Thick foam sticks, thin foam runs off sooner. You probably still need to wash the car, it's just another pre-treatment step.

I am not a detailer :D

WEDEL.1
18-02-2009, 09:45 AM
While in Melb for the 2008 DOVW Julia & I took the Golf to the car wash in Bacchus Marsh where we were staying. I used the presoaker that was available after giving it a good rinse, and it worked fantasticly. I will admit the car was not grubby, but I was never-the-less very impressed with the result and the subsquent lack of "proper" washing required.

I saw this foam gun on waxit.com.au site for $119 + freight, so I am wondering how well it works.

I have a Karcher with a bottle attachment, but I think that will on blast the shampoo onto the car rather than be a soaker. Anyone used the Karcher auto wash?

Maris

KWICKS
18-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Not personally, but this was one guy's first go with it, maybe needs more shampoo in the mix?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/P1010338-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/P1010341-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/P1010342-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/P1010343-1.jpg

Mrk_Mickey
18-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Yep you'd need a higher percentage of shampoo to water to get it to do something...at least that's my understanding anyways.

I've been thinking about buying a Wolfgang foam washer for a while now, but can't justify the slightly expensive pricing. We'll see :D

WEDEL.1
18-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I just tried the Karcher with some diluted Meguiars wash. Didn't go too bad. I may have diluted too much (pehaps it should be undiluted?), but at least it stopped me from hand washing with the mit.

Maris

Mrk_Mickey
18-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Depending on how much the attachment squirts out with the water, it shouldn't be very diulted at all I don't think...

WEDEL.1
18-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Tried it on the Polo with a stronger mix, and it blew alot of bubbles :-)

Maris

Mrk_Mickey
18-02-2009, 06:13 PM
So Maris, would you recommend a Karcher and the attachment? I still just can't seem to justify the wolfgang.

Only thing is...the Karcher spits out a lot of water doesn't it?

WEDEL.1
18-02-2009, 07:29 PM
So Maris, would you recommend a Karcher and the attachment? I still just can't seem to justify the wolfgang.

Only thing is...the Karcher spits out a lot of water doesn't it?

I don't have a suds gun attachment as the one in the pic. Mine has a bottle that clips onto the machine and is drawn into the handle while the wand is not attached, so it's very low pressure. With the wand attached for high pressure it uses very little water, much less than my previous Karcher.

I would like the foam gun, but I seem to be saving money (read TRYING to)for this, that & the other. However, I think it ould be a welcome addition to the car washing equipement. I may try the Karcher wash, or buy some Meguiars wash in bulk. I think the Karcher seems to work OK. Uses about 3/4 of the reservior.

It certainly was quicker than using the bucket method.

Pity you don't live next door Mickey, I could hire it to you :-) .

Maris

Mrk_Mickey
18-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Hahah that's true. Oh well, if you think it's worth buying over the wolfgang after some testing, drop me a PM and give me some advice cos I'm looking for the foam car-wash solution but not at $120 plus freight. Not yet anyways:)

DMS_Dan
20-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Foam gun isnt worth that much IMO. I have played with one a few times and it dosnt foam *that* well. My karcher has twin detergent tanks and if the wand is on the right pressure it makes a nice foam.

Also dwell time is very dependent on what your attempting to do. For my pre detail de wax wash the dwell time isnt very long maybe around 30 seconds. The foam dosnt need to be thick either.

If doing a touchless wash then a thicker foam plus a longer dwell is better. The attachment kwicks posted up is the best for this in my experience

Mrk_Mickey
20-02-2009, 08:02 PM
My dad has a Karcher....will have to steal it:D

WEDEL.1
20-02-2009, 08:29 PM
If doing a touchless wash then a thicker foam plus a longer dwell is better. The attachment kwicks posted up is the best for this in my experience

Bought one yesterday :-) . $21 from Bunnings.

Dan, by dwell time, do you mean the time the foam is on the car?

Maris

DMS_Dan
20-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Maris
sure do mate. Also be careful with what you put in. Make sure its PH neutral otherwise it will strip the wax

Stole this from Detail Paradise
the mix ratios are as follows (quoted from the abovementioned forum):

The recommended by Meguiars Mix Ratios for their Shampoo's are-

Meguiars Soft Wash Gel - 100:1
Meguiars NXT Car Wash - 133:1
Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash - 133:1
Meguiars Shampoo Plus - 128:1
Meguiars #62 Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner - 128:1
Meguiars Hyper Wash - 400:1

To get the mix ratio in the Karcher Foam Gun right, I mixed up a 300ml sample concentration of the Shampoo's as follows-

Meguiars Soft Wash Gel - 3:1 (3+1=4 x 28 = 112:1 = close enough!)
Meguiars NXT Car Wash - 4:1 (4+1=5 x 28 = 140:1 = close enough!)
Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash - 4:1
Meguiars Shampoo Plus - 4:1
Meguiars #62 Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner - 4:1
Meguiars Hyper Wash - 14:1 (this was easier to do by mixing up a coulpe of litres of diluted concentrate.)

WEDEL.1
20-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Gee, that's really diluted.

Maris

WEDEL.1
20-02-2009, 11:00 PM
My dad has a Karcher....will have to steal it:D

They are pretty good, and pretty cheap now days.

Maris

Mrk_Mickey
21-02-2009, 10:19 AM
sure do mate. Also be careful with what you put in. Make sure its PH neutral otherwise it will strip the wax

Stole this from Detail Paradise
the mix ratios are as follows (quoted from the abovementioned forum):

The recommended by Meguiars Mix Ratios for their Shampoo's are-

Meguiars Soft Wash Gel - 100:1
Meguiars NXT Car Wash - 133:1
Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash - 133:1
Meguiars Shampoo Plus - 128:1
Meguiars #62 Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner - 128:1
Meguiars Hyper Wash - 400:1

To get the mix ratio in the Karcher Foam Gun right, I mixed up a 300ml sample concentration of the Shampoo's as follows-

Meguiars Hyper Wash - 14:1 (this was easier to do by mixing up a coulpe of litres of diluted concentrate.)

Dude which number is which? I'm only assuming the first number in each ratio is the water amount? ie: Meguiars Soft Wash Gel - 100:1 = 100 water, 1 gel.

DMS_Dan
21-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes you are correct so for hyper was for example for hyperwash its 400ml of water to 1ml hyperwash

superfly.nn
11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm looking at getting one of these for use with a garden style hose. The water pressure is strong where I live so should do the job and the price is good:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000Y190WE/ref=nosim/autopia-forum-20

If you have a pressure washer like a karcher or Bosch these create fantastic snow like foam (according the the pictures):

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

The price on the lance above delivered should be similar to the Wolfgang on waxit.

I'm looking for one of these to use every second wash as I'm washing the car once every 3 weeks and it take about 4 hours.

Mrk_Mickey
11-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Wow, that foam does look pretty good...If you get the karcher attachment, let us know how it goes!

ope126
11-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Maris

Maris,

I also have a Karcher similar to yours; Winner 11.
What was the model / product code of the Shampoo attachment?
Was it a Special Order from Bunnings or did they stock it?

Glenn

No457 Snowy
11-08-2009, 06:40 PM
So guys, what is the best Karcher model and attachment combo to get for car washing, and are you using these from a bucket as the water source?

I've seen a lot of different model Karcher's in the shops and wouldn't know which one to buy. :confused:

What do you need to look for, pros and cons, etc?

Snowy. :)

ope126
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Here is the Karcher Part Number: 69645070. Bunnings had this in stock!
Got mine today, will look to use this weekend!

Mrk_Mickey
12-08-2009, 05:37 PM
So guys, what is the best Karcher model and attachment combo to get for car washing, and are you using these from a bucket as the water source?

I've seen a lot of different model Karcher's in the shops and wouldn't know which one to buy. :confused:

What do you need to look for, pros and cons, etc?

Snowy. :)

Most, if not all Karchers are meant to have a very similar water flow rate. about 7 litres per minute IIRC.

Karchers are probably best bought at somewhere like bunnnings because they stock a fair few of them and you can usually talk to someone about the models there. To be honest, a karcher is a karcher so they're all going to do the same thing. If you buy that foamgun attachment from bunnings as well then it's really not going to matter which Karcher you get. :)

I will get one of the sub $200 ones for this purpose when I get around to it.

jasn78
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry Mickey in terms of Karchers there are differences in the models, you wll find the more expensive ones are alot heavier due to the fact they have an aluminum or alloy compressor instead of a plastic one.

But for home/occasionaly use I would also buy a cheaper one.

Mrk_Mickey
12-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Sorry Mickey in terms of Karchers there are differences in the models, you wll find the more expensive ones are alot heavier due to the fact they have an aluminum or alloy compressor instead of a plastic one.

But for home/occasionaly use I would also buy a cheaper one.

Oh yeah there are bound to be differences like that, but I'm just saying that for washing your car they're all gonna do it the same really..

Dyldo
28-08-2009, 10:40 PM
i too bought one of these bad boys from Bunnings Sports Tuning and will be trying tomorrow (after a lay my front lawn with turf, paint the front fence and fill a skip bin with junk) so i will post photos and results.

Mrk_Mickey
29-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Sweet as, eager to see results!

Dyldo
30-08-2009, 10:17 PM
well, as expected, I only got the front lawn laid and sanded the front fence though i did fill the skip bin :)

will wash car soonest with the $20 karcher special and post pics

WEDEL.1
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
A couple of pics of my Karcher attachment in use.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/002biq-1.jpg (http://img142.imageshack.us/i/002biq.jpg/)

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1664/001fth.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/i/001fth.jpg/)

DMS_Dan
03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
What have you got in there? I did a touchless wash on mine yesterday. I used duragloss car wash concentrate in mine. It produced a really thick foam which i let dwell for 10mins then i rinsed it off and dried it all without a wash mitt!

WEDEL.1
03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Meguiars NXT. I wouldn't say it's really suitable unless it's mixed at somewhere like 30-50%. I thought it foamed up much more using the container attached to the Karcher.

All week it has been overcast until I decided top wash the Polo, then the sun was shinning bright. The foam dissappeared very quickly.

Dyldo
07-09-2009, 11:32 AM
hey guys - i finally got a chance to give my filthy car a wash. I don't think i got the results I wanted or expected, so will post what i did (sorry, got right into it and didn't take pics).

i used the normal vario-flow attachment on the karcher to wet/rinse the car - not that it gets super wet like a normal hose but anyway.
Then i attached the Karcher shampoo-er and put in enough Meguiar's Gold Class wash to fill about to the top of the first "knob" of the bottle - a lot more than i'd put in a normal wash bucket mind you.
This produced just enough foam for the car
I let it dwell for about 5 minutes then rinsed it off, but the car was dirty still. admittedly, it was pretty filthy to begin with.
I then filled the bottle with the blue Armor-all "wash and wax" and that foamed the car pretty easily.
Then i got a microfibre noodle mit and washed the car with the soap on, dipping the mit in unsoaped water.
then i rinsed and chamoised and it came up very nicely.

So, given all that, and no photos unfortunately, I wondered if this is the experience of others or if i did it wrong?

Mrk_Mickey
07-09-2009, 12:06 PM
How much product did you use in the end?

Dyldo
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
i used two shampoos - the first was the Meguiar's Gold Class and i never measure it. i usually squirt some into a bucket, add water, and wash away like a madman. I've never measured. so in this case i put in about 100mls maybe? just left it like that and turned the karcher on and let the foam fly!!
as for the blue armor-all wash and wax stuff, i filled the karcher shampoo bottle up and let fly again.

WEDEL.1
07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I've used that in the past, and on the Polo that time. I may buy that Duragloss shampoo that Dan was using and see how that goes.

I once used the bottle on the Karcher a couple of times & I think that works just as good.

Mrk_Mickey
07-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Hmm...Dyldo, it sounds as though you used heaps of product. I personally wouldn't recommend doing it like that, simply because you'll use HEAPS of wash and it'll cost heaps.

This is from page 2:

... be careful with what you put in. Make sure its PH neutral otherwise it will strip the wax

Stole this from Detail Paradise:

---SNIP---

By diluting it more, it's making it work the same way it would in the bucket, therefore using the right amount 'per wash'. This means that the products (like my expensive car wash stuff) that don't foam up much inside the bucket won't be very good for the karcher. You'd want to use the cheap stuff (make sure it's still pH neutral and doesn't strip wax) or even the duragloss stuff at the right ratio to get good foam :)

Dyldo
07-09-2009, 09:58 PM
so before i go and get a pH kit, does anyone know the pH of the blue Armor-all?

and i assume the mixes above are diluted with water?

Mrk_Mickey
08-09-2009, 02:03 AM
so before i go and get a pH kit, does anyone know the pH of the blue Armor-all?

and i assume the mixes above are diluted with water?

Yes, and yes! :) No need for a pH kit either because most washes should say whether or not they're pH neutral.

Armour-all is said to be pH neutral, even though it's economy stuff. That's probably the best stuff for your Karcher (although I haven't seen the results from Dan's duragloss stuff) because it does the job best.

Now, to get the ratio for INSIDE the detergent bottle, it's real easy but a tad confusing. It goes like this:
First, get the original ratio for what you'd use in the bucket (ie if the wash says use 10mL in every 4L the ratio will be 1:400)
Second, divide the ratio (ie, 1 divided by 200)
Third, times the answer by 28 (because the ratio of Karcher water-flow to Attachment-flow is 28:1, meaning 28 units of karcher water per one unit of detergent bottle flow)
Fourth, times the answer by 100 (don't ask why, it just works haha)
Fifth, once you've got that number, divide 100 by it, and you'll have your number for your ratio!

Here's a working example:
1) 1 : 400
2) 1 / 400 = 0.0025
3) 0.0025 x 28 = 0.07
4) 0.07 x 100 = 7
5) 100 / 7 = 14.28

Just take 1 off of your answer (because the answer indicates how many parts of mixture in total) and you've got your ratio! For example,
14.28 - 1 = 13.28
Therefore your ratio is 1 : 13.28 (13.28 units water to 1 unit detergent).

If you work back, you'll know you get it right if the answer is the same as the original ratio. For example,
13.28 + 1 x 28 = 400

So, the original ratio of 1:400 is just over 13 parts water to one part detergent, inside the detergent bottle :) There's no need to go measuring 13.28 units of water though, just stick to 13 and it will be fine. Rounding up or down to the nearest number never hurt anyone ;)

I hope that helps, I know it's stupidly confusing but it does work for me.

Dyldo
08-09-2009, 09:14 AM
you are doing ratio mathematics at 2.30am???!!!???

Mrk_Mickey
08-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Pathetic isn't it...I had nothing better to do and my mind needed a workout before bed!

Dyldo
08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
well thanks, it is a good little write up and will be sure to help. my car is already dirty so will give it another touchless wash this weekend.

Transporter
08-09-2009, 01:04 PM
What have you got in there? I did a touchless wash on mine yesterday. I used duragloss car wash concentrate in mine. It produced a really thick foam which i let dwell for 10mins then i rinsed it off and dried it all without a wash mitt!

Hi Dan,

I've got a few questions for you.
Where can I buy duragloss car wash concentrate?
Can it be let dry on paint and than hosed off?
Will I have to use the sponge?

I have a big Karcher hi pressure cleaner, so I’d like to just spray the shampoo on and than blast the dirt off, so far I always had to use sponge. :( I’m using Chemtech Wash&wax. (CT20 I believe) in my Karcher. I didn’t try in Karcher Chemtech Truck Wash. (could be too harsh to paint)

Cheers,

brad
08-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Dan,

I've got a few questions for you.
Where can I buy duragloss car wash concentrate?
Can it be let dry on paint and than hosed off?
Will I have to use the sponge?

Duragloss from carcareproducts.com.au or waxit.com.au . I tried Duragloss for the first time last weekend & it really is a superior product. Reasonably economical too as it only needs 30ml to 8L water.

I'd recomend you get a microfibre wash mit (or a lambswool or even a Kenco from Bunnings). Sponges tend to trap dirt in the pores that puts micro-scratches into paint. I only use sponges on my wheels.

I don't like any tap water or washing foam drying on my car as it leaves residue. South Aussie water would be even worse.

The foam gun is really good if the car is filthy & the dirt needs a soak. First rinse the car with the HP washer, then apply the foam & while the foam soaks, start washing the car with the suds & washmit, rinse the wash mit every panel, then rinse & dry the car with a microfibre towell.

Transporter
08-09-2009, 04:18 PM
...but i'd like to do it touch free.:happyfrownnono:

It's not that easy, I've 4 cars to wash, that's why I bought a new Karcher almost 3 years ago. It does reasonable job when the car is not very dirty but after 4 or 6 weeks it's back to bucket again.

Thanks for the link Brad, I give it a go.

Mrk_Mickey
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
The easiest method of washing the car with the use of the Karcher is with a good microfibre washing mitt. ANYTHING else will scratch the paintwork.

As has been said, soak the car in the foam, gently wipe the panels after it's had a chance to dwell for a few minutes and rinse the towel (in a bucket of clean water) every panel. This ensures dirt goes away and you don't scratch, and because you're using microfibre it will make it very easy to do.

DMS_Dan
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi Transporter,

You can do it touchless but it relies heavily on the sealant/wax you have underneath. If you have a high quality protection layer down it will work much better.

to try touchless make sure the car is cool and in the shade. Get the Karcher foam bottle and put 30ml of solution in and fill the rest with water.

Once you have foamed the car let it sit for around 10mins. You shouldnt let it dry on the surface though. After it has had some dwell time give it a good methodical rinse.

Transporter
10-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks, DMS Dan

In the past I’ve used Mothers 3 stage wax system once a year but lately I switched to Mequiar's TechWax and I do it before summer and before winter.
What I didn't like on Mothers wax was the chalky residue in the plastic trim otherwise it is a good product.

Which sealant and wax do you recommend?

Mrk_Mickey
10-09-2009, 11:56 PM
He's going to say Opti-seal or Duragloss (405 I think it is?) for sealants, and probably the Dodo Juice range of premium waxes, or something else more affordable..haha :D