PDA

View Full Version : Fitted up the AVC9000

clip
16-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Fitted the AVC9000 tonight. Very easy install, everything worked. Looks great. Took a few goes trying to work out some of the setups for sound etc (the manual is typical english translated from chinese via russian. I still don't know what a couple of the settings actually do!

DVD and iPod adaptor works fine. Bluetooth worked straight up, sounds OK- but haven't tried it driving yet.

Sat Nav worked fine -except software is Tom Tom and it 'looks' very average, no detail, but you can select an Aussie voice (and can download others evidently). I'd like to change the software though, lots say the Igo8 is much better.

It sounds a little better than the standard RC510, is definitely louder, but shows up limits of the std speakers.

Haven't hooked up the reversing camera yet. Bit confused with some of the wiring and it'll be an all day job I'm thinking!

Overall a good unit - I still worry about the price though - for everything it does and does well (at least so far) - it's too cheap!

JP2
24-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Fitted the AVC9000 tonight. Very easy install, everything worked. Looks great. Took a few goes trying to work out some of the setups for sound etc (the manual is typical english translated from chinese via russian. I still don't know what a couple of the settings actually do!

DVD and iPod adaptor works fine. Bluetooth worked straight up, sounds OK- but haven't tried it driving yet.

Sat Nav worked fine -except software is Tom Tom and it 'looks' very average, no detail, but you can select an Aussie voice (and can download others evidently). I'd like to change the software though, lots say the Igo8 is much better.

It sounds a little better than the standard RC510, is definitely louder, but shows up limits of the std speakers.

Haven't hooked up the reversing camera yet. Bit confused with some of the wiring and it'll be an all day job I'm thinking!

Overall a good unit - I still worry about the price though - for everything it does and does well (at least so far) - it's too cheap!

Thinking to get one, may I know how much (approx. will do) and where I can get it from?

James

clip
24-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi James, probably need to update my thoughts since installing:

SatNav - did come with iGo8 as well as Tom Tom, and I now run iGo because it's better than TT IMO (although now I can't have John Cleese or Ozzy Osbourne swearing at me every time I take a wrong turn - but I can live with that). The SatNav works really well, very fast to locate sats and very quick with calculations etc. The iGo8 'looks' great and is very easy to use, and software is very up to date - a local road that only opened here in late December is on this version, and it has all the Red Light camera positions etc.

The iPod interface works fine but looks crap. Just a blue menu on a purple background with the info being displayed on a number of lines. The worst thing is that when you switch over to iPod mode, the touch screen doesn't actually work for the displayed iPod selection lists (i.e Playlist, Albums, Artists, Songs etc). When you touch the screen, another menu pops up which is just a row of arrow nav buttons to let you navigate through your iPod.

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_iPod_main.jpg
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_iPod_select.jpg
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_iPod_playing.jpg

CD brings up blue screen with big VW symbol. CD info displayed on small single line at the top. Again, uses the popup nav buttons same as iPod.

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/aCD.jpg
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/acd_menu.jpg

But slot in an MP3 Cd and you get a completely different interface again! This brings up a better looking and easier navigation screen with icons and titles actually doing something when you touch them (no extra green popup buttons).

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_cd_mp3.jpg

Radio works fine, easy to use - looks OK, signal not quite as strong as original unit though.

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_radio.jpg

Bluetooth is really great but basic. It is very clear and more importantly, everyone can hear me loud and clear - better than on my previous bluetooth.

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_bluetooth.jpg

DVD is great. No pics sorry - I forgot that one.

Console panel that allows you to access the SD card that stores your Nav software but also allows you to store music, pics and movies on it (up to 2gig), "looks" the best but works crap - for music anyway. I'm buggered if I can work out how to group delete songs after they're added to the playlist other than removing them singly one by one. If you browse the SD card again and select another album, it just adds the songs to the existing ones. It's a shame, because this is my preferred device. And if you look at the MusicPlayer shot, it lists everything but the song title! - You have to go back to the previous screen where you selected them all - go figure! Hopefully missing something with this GUI, and someone might be able to help on this?

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_console_main.jpg
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/a_console.jpg

The reversing camera is crap, and I replaced it with an alpine one (a bit extravagant and probably should have just gone to Jaycar and bought one of theirs, but the image is brilliant).

Overall, the unit sounds as good or better than the stock one, and is a little louder. It includes a graphic EQ if you want to use that and has a bass enhancer. I added new speakers up front, a sub, and an amp, so the head unit now sits on flat tone settings. Very happy with the sound and it didn't drain the bank account.

The unit cost me $950 delivered overnight express and I'll PM you the details - not sure if I'm allowed to post them here, so won't try it, but I couldn't fault their service.

Hope this helps.

Moonan
26-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Details of where to buy it etc are in this MASSIVE thread dedicated (mostly) to the AVC9000:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12612
I have one in the Golf, and the GPS failed... The supplier (Rob from Austpack) was very responsive and helpful, and had the unit repaired (with new GPS unit installed) promptly.

afatboy
26-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Is this the same Sat Nav unit that cost $3900 from VW ?

NZTiguan
26-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Is this the same Sat Nav unit that cost $3900 from VW ?

NO, it's a retro-fit replacement and not nearly as good a unit IMHO (I don't actually have one cos I didn't need Nav). If you check it out through http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=970, http://www.mytiguan.com/, and http://tiguanownersclub.com/vwtiguan/ you'll find that anybody with "the real deal RNS510" is really happy with it, it's one of the best out there, it has a hard drive, superior interfaces, and a better satNav BUT that said you get what you pay for and this unit appears to do a good job for your $ if you don't want to pay for the real deal.

A few people have retro-fitted the actual RNS510 (look for Rocc's posts on the other forums, he's from Jamaica) having got it for much less than dealer prices through eBay and similar and personally I think that would be the option I'd be chasing IF I needed Nav etc, at least then you have the unit that was designed for the Tiguan (or the Tig was designed for it) and in my opinion that's worth $s to you in the long run.

As I said earlier, it really comes down to what you're prepared to pay.

Cheers

WEDEL.1
26-02-2009, 08:19 AM
The unit cost me $950 delivered overnight express and I'll PM you the details - not sure if I'm allowed to post them here, so won't try it, but I couldn't fault their service.

Feel free to post that here.

Maris

clip
26-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks WEDEL, wasn't sure - and Moonan's just done that for me. Fantastic service from Rob, and you can actually talk to him!

NZTig, I know what you mean, but $900 compared to $3900, and the AVC has Bluetooth - that works, and it "looks" as good as OEM when it's in the hole.

Also, the audio performance of the AVC is arguably better that OEM unit. The Nav works better or as good as any I've had before, but I've not tried the OEM Nav. The AVC doesn't seem to suffer any shortcomings there (but I may be wrong) and the IGo8 that I'm running with now (as supplied), is great software IMO, however, I don't know what the OEM is - I think it's VW own. The screen quality on the AVC is also very good.

However, the biggest problem and frustration with the AVC is the mishmash of GUI's, the 'look' of them, and some functionality.

However, because it sounds good and everything does work as it's designed to, it's a hard to argue against it, even forgetting the big price difference.

I guess the final test is, would I have put in the OEM unit if I had money to burn? Probably not, because then I would be frustrated because it didn't have bluetooth (something else I'd have to add and pay for), and it doesn't sound as good. Would I pay $2000 for the OEM unit, probably still not. Would I pay $1500 for an AVC that fixed all my gripes, definitely. Let's just hope it lasts past the 12 month warranty period!

afatboy
26-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Well I already order mine with Sat Nav and I still need another $600 for a bluetooth unit.

NZTiguan
27-02-2009, 05:54 AM
!

NZTig, I know what you mean, but $900 compared to $3900, and the AVC has Bluetooth - that works, and it "looks" as good as OEM when it's in the hole.

Best buy-now price I found currently on eBay for RNS510 is US $1200 so they're available a lot cheaper than "dealer price". The $US conversion is a bit nasty at the moment but you could probably get one out of GB or Europe and dodge that issue a bit.

My point is that you shouldn't compare these units using "stealer" prices !!

Cheers

clip
27-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Best buy-now price I found currently on eBay for RNS510 is US $1200 so they're available a lot cheaper than "dealer price". The $US conversion is a bit nasty at the moment but you could probably get one out of GB or Europe and dodge that issue a bit.

My point is that you shouldn't compare these units using "stealer" prices !!

Cheers
Good point NZ, and would I buy the OEM for $1500 - and add bluetooth (if I could get that cheap too and if the US or import RNS510 had Australian maps and I didn't have to turn around and fork out more $$$ for that) - then yes, I'd be buying OEM unit for sure.
When this one expires, the RNS510's will probably be half that price again, so it might then be an option.

vincent
30-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi

I am thinking of putting in one of the AVC units and using the tailor made VW reversing camera - this is shaped the same as the factory fit camera my neighbour has on his tourag. Can you help out - do you know if I use one of these cameras (which go where the number plate lights are) will I be able able to take advantage of the wiring to the number plate lights (ie spare wires etc) or do I have to thread a full new wire through ? has anyone got photos of how they did it ? many thanks

clip
31-05-2009, 07:07 PM
local car audio guy did mine. It sits just beside the rh number plate light in the tail gate. No idea how they wired up. I can't see anything anywhere. All I know is it cost me $70 and it works - it will even turn the unit on. Only problem is, in broad daylight, you're flat out seeing much because of the glare on the screen. The Tig mounting position is not really in the ideal location for a video display. I don't know how much better the NS510 handles this (but I've been told they suffer less of a glare problem - how much though, I don't know).

varsur
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have a soft copy of how to install this unit on tig. I want to see it first how to install before I go ahead and buy it.

If someone does have a soft copy and dont mind sharing it please PM me.

Thanks,
Varsur

vincent
01-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Clip - Hi - thanks for your response.

Sounds an outstanding $70 - which audio dealer / where / who was the tech who did the camera hook up ? (I also want to get speakers done once the Tig arrives in 2 weeks.)

Did you buy from Rob at Auspack ?
I see they have the AVC 9000, AVC 9000-1 and the GenIV model. If you were buying today which of these would you go for ?

When you refer to the dud camera which came with it was that the standard round one or the VW specific one you considered no good ? I was going to order his VW specific number plate one.

Lastly he also sells the diversity antenna joiner as an option - my wife likes AM and the kids FM - .from reading the thousands of other threads it seems I need this sort of joiner ?

many thanks again - Vincent (in Sydney near Neutral Bay)

clip
02-06-2009, 06:05 PM
- which audio dealer / where / who was the tech who did the camera hook up ?
I see they have the AVC 9000, AVC 9000-1 and the GenIV model. If you were buying today which of these would you go for ?

When you refer to the dud camera which came with it was that the standard round one or the VW specific one you considered no good ? I was going to order his VW specific number plate one.

Lastly he also sells the diversity antenna joiner as an option - my wife likes AM and the kids FM - .from reading the thousands of other threads it seems I need this sort of joiner?
I'm in Qld, so probably no good for you - unless you want to take the Tig for a good run :)

Yes, I bought from Rob (great guy to deal with).

The 9000 and 9000-1 are different units. They both do the same except the 9000-1 has access to your phone book.

Camera is an issue. The one that came with mine was the standard round one with the integrated leds, and it was crap. I spent lots of money on an Alpine one which is awesome - in both day and night conditions without extra illumination. I don't know about the "VW specific" one sorry.

Yes, you need the joiner if you want both am and fm.

:)

tiguan_hunting
02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Do these generic units (9000 and 9000-1) work with the Park Assist?? Would the OPS come up on the screen or do you lose it completely? If you do lose it do you lose the audible sound when you reverse?

I've only got the std RCD310 but would like to upgrade but $4000 plus was way too much!

vincent
02-06-2009, 09:12 PM
..no park assist is a whole new ball game...the 9000-1 is basically a sound, system and screen for dvd/satnav/camera etc.

cheers

clip
02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
You lose the optical map, but you still get the beeps etc. And of course, you can see what's behind behind you.

Sanman
03-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Auspack only sell 2 cameras. I got the rectangular one, but checked last night - its screw spacing is different to the licence plate lamps, which means you would have to mount it further outboard again. Might have to buy the $100 VW specific one from Oskar on the Golf forums

Sanman
07-06-2009, 11:22 PM
I have a cunning plan...
When I installed the new radio, it only had provision to connect one of the two antennas (on the rear glass and stubby roof whip). I connected the roof one. Radio seems to work fine on AM and FM. I think that the OEM radio selects the best signal. Anyway, one antenna seems to work fine.
My plan is this - rather than run a camera cable all the way to the front, I'll use the unused antenna connection on the tailgate which conveniently terminates near the rear view camera, and of course goes all the way to the radio.
For camera power, I'm hoping the 'park' function of the rear wiper is permanently powered. This means I only have to remove three pieces of trim on the rear tailgate to set up the rear camera.
Might be a while before I get the time to try it out, though
PS: the trim pieces say "Made in Poland"

NZTiguan
08-06-2009, 06:51 AM
I have a cunning plan...
When I installed the new radio, it only had provision to connect one of the two antennas (on the rear glass and stubby roof whip). I connected the roof one. Radio seems to work fine on AM and FM. I think that the OEM radio selects the best signal. Anyway, one antenna seems to work fine.
My plan is this - rather than run a camera cable all the way to the front, I'll use the unused antenna connection on the tailgate which conveniently terminates near the rear view camera, and of course goes all the way to the radio.
For camera power, I'm hoping the 'park' function of the rear wiper is permanently powered. This means I only have to remove three pieces of trim on the rear tailgate to set up the rear camera.

That's VERY interesting, are you saying that those wires (for the rear glass mounted antenna) are in ALL Tiguans ?? cos they could also be used by the people in NA who want to fit rear fog lights as well as those (like ME) who want to fit a reversing camera.

Cheers

vincent
08-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Clip - Hi - any chance you could phone your installer and ask him how he did it ? Sanman has a suggestion now, NZ still has not done it so there are a bunch of us interested ! I have asked Rob at Auspack but he does not know. many thanks Vincent

High-Fidelity
09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I have a cunning plan...

The antenna connection is not a standard electrical connection. It is an RF connection. I'm not sure how that will go carrying composite video. Possibly worth a shot, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't work properly.

varsur
09-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Guys,

Was just curious if this unit will still show me the visual of the reverse sensors. The same way the OEM unit displays the distance of object from sensors.

Thanks

clip
09-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Clip - Hi - any chance you could phone your installer and ask him how he did it ?
I phoned them today (wanted to ask them about the AVIC), but the person that fitted mine is no longer there. Only thing the boss could tell me was that he tapped into the harness somewhere inside the right hand wheel arch. He didn't know of anything special though.

DJY
09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Guys,

Was just curious if this unit will still show me the visual of the reverse sensors. The same way the OEM unit displays the distance of object from sensors.

Thanks

From reading in a few forums / threads - the best indications are - you would loose the visual representation - but retain the audio beeps...
one of the reasons I've stopped researching an alternate aftermarket brand.

I'm keen to keep the visuals, and hopefully (eventually) retro fit VW front sensors too!

clip
15-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Just out of interest, on the weekend I also grabbed my 3.5" external hard drive, reformatted it back to Fat32 (courtesy of Swissknife), loaded it up with tunes, plugged it into a power supply and then the USB port on the AVC - bingo! It read it all (took a few seconds to load, but it worked and had over 30gig of music on it). Might get over the problem that I have with USB drives crapping out after an hour or so of continuous playing (reading) time.