PDA

View Full Version : Removing rear window mk2 gti

ausgolfer
16-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Ok people appart from carefully and obviously dissconnecting the rear screen heater wires how can I take out my rear window?

I have a new rear black surround sticker for it and need to take out the rear window to do so.

Any suggestions or tips are welcome.

BlackVr6ix
16-11-2006, 04:16 PM
depending on how long its been sitting in the seal, i suggest you heat that sucker up with a hairdrier to soften the seal so you dont destroy it.

h100vw
16-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I peel the seal off carefully all round inside the window before tucking the inside edge under itself. I go all round the window until you can push it out.

I have taken plenty of front and rear screens out in the past and only ever broke the front screen on a mk1.

To put it back in, sit the screen and rubber in the aperture and pull the rubber in a bit at a time and work round the window. The other way is using a piece of wire, get a length that will go all round the window and leave some to grab hold of. Put the wire in the rubber and sit the window in the aperture with the free ends inside the car. Pull on one and it should start to peel the rubber into place.

Sorry if it all sounds crap but I know what I mean. ;0)
Gavin

Golf Loon
16-11-2006, 10:18 PM
I do it slow with a not too sharp screwdriver!
Be patient

ausgolfer
17-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Cheers guys all good advice. ;)

ausgolfer
22-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Gave it a go..... and felt like I was about to shatter the screen. Perhaps this one is best left to the pros. Anyway on further advice apparently the pros might wreak my window rubber when they take the screen out, so I called up South Yarra VW to check if they had a rear window rubber in stock in case i need one. To which they replied no we'll have to order one from Germany at a cost of $197.70, the prices of parts for vw's never ceases to amaze me....

Lets hope my old rubber doesn't get damaged when the screen is taken out.

BlackVr6ix
22-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Dont worry about prices for a VW.

Alfa parts that come to mind

Driveshaft Donut (rubber Uni) $350
Indicator Stalk $250
Air Filter Round $120 (K&N was only 40 more!)
Clutch $1600

shall i continue?

alex g
22-11-2006, 02:39 PM
it is easily do able just be patient and work iti n sections so you dont twist the glass

h100vw
22-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Gave it a go..... and felt like I was about to shatter the screen. Perhaps this one is best left to the pros. Anyway on further advice apparently the pros might wreak my window rubber when they take the screen out, so I called up South Yarra VW to check if they had a rear window rubber in stock in case i need one. To which they replied no we'll have to order one from Germany at a cost of $197.70, the prices of parts for vw's never ceases to amaze me....

You won't want to hear that I threw one away before I came to Australia that I had had sat around for 3 years.

There is no way a professional fitter should do any damage to the rubber.

Gavin

ausgolfer
22-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Cheers again guys.

syncro
22-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Most rubbers of that age will need replacing anyway.
If it is hard it will have to be replaced.
Shop around.

ausgolfer
29-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I left it to the "pro's" and the rubber was in good nick so I didn't bother ordering a new one in case.
So they threw a young fellow onto the task of taking out the window, with what could only be described as a sharpened bent screwdriver. He jabs it in under the inside edge of the rubber and starts jimmying his way along the top inside edge of the seal , puts a little to much effort into it and the sharp instrument misses the seal and puts a massive scratch all the way across the inside tint of my window :mad: then the question "did you need to use this soon?" to which the reply was "it's in a car show on Sunday".

Moral, if you want something done right, do it yourself.... or alternatively treat people like they're 2 years old, telling them how much care they should be taking.

alex g
29-11-2006, 05:13 PM
i really dont trust many people anymore to do anything, you really do have to do it yourself

lesson learnt ehh

ausgolfer
29-11-2006, 05:19 PM
You can say that again.

JR.
19-01-2007, 10:13 AM
so I called up South Yarra VW to check if they had a rear window rubber in stock in case i need one. To which they replied no we'll have to order one from Germany at a cost of $197.70, the prices of parts for vw's never ceases to amaze me....

$197.70 geeeez... im sure i could send one from the uk cheaper.