PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer

shaneth
15-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Not sure if this has been asked before but is it worth putting a turbo timer onto a Polo Gti. When i used to be into modding Japanesse cars that was the first thing i would do or informed others to do. What are your opinions.

h100vw
15-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Watercooled turbo, as are most these days. Just don't nail the car right to your destination. Oil quality is a lot better than it used to be as well.

I wouldn't bother fitting one and chopping your new car up.

Gavin

PoloGTi
15-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Just do an extra block at a normal pace before stopping and i au sure it would be fine. How would it go with the Alarm any way?

brackie
16-11-2006, 05:18 AM
Modern turbos are cooled and you don't need to leave the motor running. I always err on the side of caution and let her tick over for 30 secs or so after doing a hard run, however in most cases runs end in slow speed work close to home or my destination and this brings the temp down anyway.

shaneth
16-11-2006, 06:14 AM
cool thank you everyone. thats what i wanted to hear.

Bug_racer
16-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I say you dont need it either , Im pretty sure the run on coolant pump goes straight into turbo so thats a mini turbo timer . If you do decide to run a turbo timer your going to need a companion that allows it to signal the throttle body quicker so it doesnt stall

GTIJNR
17-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I dont think u need a timer, open d bonnet after a run with engine off n u'll hear d electric pump circulate water round, its right next to the dipstick... so yeah, r u going back 2 jap car any time soon??? lol

shaneth
18-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Cool thanks everyone for the feedback. GTIJNR no i think ill stick to my mini gti for a while and have fun with that. Cant wait to pick my car up.

EUS GTIMK5
18-11-2006, 03:04 PM
The GTI manual suggests that after a HARD run you should let it idle for a 2 minutes (Section 3.1 page 100). However, as a previous poster said most of the time you don't just suddenly stop after a hard run but cruse for a few minutes which should be sufficient to coolit down.