PDA

View Full Version : Golf 6 GTI LSD

philthy
09-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Does anybody know the details of the new "electronic limited slip diff" in the GTI? Just curious about it. My googling has been unsuccessful.

I'm curious about how VW would implement something like a LSD, as I'm led to believe that it significantly changes the handling characteristics of the car. (forgive my ignorance - I've never owned a car with one)

Would be cool if they borrowed the system out of BMW's X6.

CatonaPC©
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, isn't ESP in the current Mark V an electronic LSD?

qsilverza
10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
4motion ftw :)

Timbo
10-02-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't think they've released any details. VW (along with many other mfrs) these days has a bad habit of describing the combined effect of traction control (ASR in VW parlance) and ESP, whereby a slipping wheel is braked, or power reduced, as an electronic differential lock. Snake oil, in its purest form :duh:

Guest212
10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
It will be rubbish.

Just like every other manufacturers version of electronic lsd.

Lima
15-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Does anybody know the details of the new "electronic limited slip diff" in the GTI? Just curious about it. My googling has been unsuccessful...

I've just had a quick squiz through the Volkswagen media website and the best I can come up with is a paragraph in this PDF (http://www.ausmotive.com/downloads/Volkswagen/The-new-Golf-GTI-Paris.pdf) (1.1mb) from the Paris Motor Show:

"...For the first time on a Volkswagen, the XDS integrated electronic limited-slip differential is being integrated as a standard feature of ESP functionality. It significantly improves the GTI’s traction and handling properties..."

phaeton
16-02-2009, 04:40 PM
According to the latest issue (January 2009) of CAR magazine the limited-slip diff isn't a diff just an electronic one that ''mimics a diff by braking the front wheel via the stability control systems''.

philthy
16-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Found a bit of a discussion on this on the 'tex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4047578&page=1

Will be a bit disappointing if it's only a tarted up version of EDL.

gavs
26-02-2009, 03:16 PM
It will be rubbish.

Just like every other manufacturers version of electronic lsd.

Only time it works well is in 4wds where you're travelling slowly and you already have crap traction.

Drive a current Mazda 3 MPS, then you will change your mind....

4wds don't have electric LSD's, they have electronic locking centre differentials. An electric LSD is useless off road, hence why we spend so much time in R&D to create locking differentials. The only "4wd"s that have electric lsd are the ones designed to not go off road.