PDA

View Full Version : JP's Octavia

JP_Aircooled_TDi
04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Just took delivery of a black manual Elegance wagon 2TDI with towbar.

Still getting over the fact that I had to loose my MkV Comfortline 2TDI :frown: , but family space requirements forced the change.

On the list of immediate things to do are:
- drop into Pete (CVWC) for an Oettinger reflash
- tint the windows
- roof racks (so I can still mount the roof pod if I need it)
and some other little bits and pieces.

Anyway, she drives quite nicely and is very similar to the Golf to drive.

Some bits that I like are:
- huge boot space
- full sized spare
- hook to hold boot floor up to access spare
- cool fuel flap release mechanism
- wider rear seat
- lots of bits directly lifted from the MkV golf

I'm sure that I will find other cool bits later down the track :driver:

pics to follow...

Bluerex
05-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Well done JP! I have Kelly looking at a Scout as a replacement for her forester - not an immediate thing, but worth having on the radar (made more sense when I was earning, but still....:biggrin:) Bringing it to Pete's Bar and Grill tomorrow night???

Charles.

mikinoz
05-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Your circumstance sounds scarily similar to mine...

Let us know how you find it! BTW, what pod have you got?

Bluerex
05-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Your circumstance sounds scarily similar to mine...

Let us know how you find it! BTW, what pod have you got?
Please excuse befuddled thinking equipment, "pod"????

c

mikinoz
05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Please excuse befuddled thinking equipment, "pod"????

c

Sorry, it related to this comment;

"- roof racks (so I can still mount the roof pod if I need it)"

Not pod filter, however I have a good suggestion for a TDI pod filter if anyone cares to listen... ;)

Bluerex
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Ahhh, a little spooky since that was JP's original post not mine :biggrin:
but my roof pod came from Pride Auto in Fyshwick. The best advice was "do not buy a cheap pod - just ask the family driving slowly back across the Hay Plains looking for all their clothing"

C

JP_Aircooled_TDi
05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/20090204SV300098resize600-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/20090204SV300104resize600-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/20090204SV300096resize600-1.jpg

Drives just like the Golf, although a bit slower from a standing start. But to be fair, she only has 42km on the clock and is a bit heavier than the Golf - which is why I'm going the Oettinger re-flash :driver:

Did I mention the huge boot ? :biggrin:

The roof pod is a Rhino-Rack and is still in great condition after over 3 years of use. It is the 'Carver' model and I bought it at Haig Park in Mitchell-Canberra. It has weathered 2 hail storms and countless rain storms going up to Sydney and down to the South Coast - and is still in great condition. A very good buy.

The TDI pod filter sounds interesting.... I assume it would complement the re-flash. Mikinoz, How much extra torque from this addition?

The Octavia is a great alternative to the Golf (if you need the space).

I have yet to travel with the Occy, but I'm a bit scared that I'm just going to fill the bugger up with 'stuff' just because I have the space :duh:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

WEDEL.1
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
I like the look of the Skoda wagon....

gregozedobe
06-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I like the look of the Skoda wagon....

I agree (but it is possible I am slightly biased). :biggrin:

I think the Octy wagon styling looks significantly better than the Octy sedan/hatch (not sure why), plus you can see out the back of the wagon much better than the sedan.

JP_Aircooled_TDi
12-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Many thanks to Pete and Gareth from CVWC in waving the Oettinger wand over the Octavia, and thanks to Guy H for his advice and patience :bowdown:

Our 'family wagon' is now even more eager to get up and go :driver:

Very happy with the re-flash. Now I just need to figure out how to hang on to my licence...

Tick
12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Many thanks to Pete and Gareth from CVWC in waving the Oettinger wand over the Octavia, and thanks to Guy H for his advice and patience :bowdown:

Our 'family wagon' is now even more eager to get up and go :driver:

Very happy with the re-flash. Now I just need to figure out how to hang on to my licence...

I am trying sooooooo hard to refrain from reflashing our vRS sedan for a little while, see how long I can keep some cash in my pocket :ballandchain:. Plus it only has 250 km on the clock so in no rush really.

But you are spot on about Pete. He is a very helpful fella, looked after me when I reflashed my Polo GTI. (Also found Michael good to deal with at Tuggers too)

mrx
12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I am trying sooooooo hard to refrain from reflashing our vRS sedan for a little while, see how long I can keep some cash in my pocket :ballandchain:. Plus it only has 250 km on the clock so in no rush really.

C'mon do your bit for spurring on the world economy! :driver:

Tick
12-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I try to spur the economy on as much as possible but unfortunately (or should that read fortunately) my wife says I have help the global situation enough for the moment. I argue that it could always do with a bit more of a helping hand but she does not buy that reasoning. Definitely will get it done though, but so far have been rather surprised with the stock power (even after owning an APR'd polo GTI).

mrx
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Luckily my wife likes to drive, she insisted that I organised the flash as soon as we signed on the dotted line for the car. I think it only did about 100km standard.

JP_Aircooled_TDi
13-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Our wagon only has about 500km on it. I am really glad that I got to drive it without the re-flash first so I could see the big difference it made.

The missus was not keen on spending the cash, but since she has driven it, she loves the extra pick up and go it has :biggrin:

Unfortunately, our finances didn't extend to a re-flashed diesel RS :eek:

Tick
13-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey JP, I think you might have been behind me at the lights turning right from Melrose onto Hindmarsh Drive about 1730 this afternoon. I am pretty sure it was an Elegance as it had the fog lights and alloy wheels.

JP_Aircooled_TDi
14-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi Nick, must have been someone else. Hmmm, thought I was special in owning the only black Elegance wagon in Canberra :wasntme: :biggrin:

It has been nice seeing a few more on the road though

Those fog lights are really very good. They throw heaps of light out to the sides of the road at night - good for kangaroo spotting

JP_Aircooled_TDi
17-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Just got back from a week visiting the rellies in Pambula. I have to say that the Octy is a brilliant touring car that is quiet, comfortable and more than willing and able to overtake other slower traffic, even going up hills (although, you really need to watch your speed as it accelerates so quickly). That 2TDI is an awesome engine :bowdown:

Even fully loaded with the roof-pod, she performed brilliantly :driver:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/2009041515042009001resize600-1.jpg

As predicted, we shoved in a lot more stuff than what we used to take with the MkV Golf, just because there is so much more space.

Just one point of consideration was the weight distribution of the luggage which took some weight off the front wheels (as can be seen as negative rake in the photo). This was only noticeable in the rain when accelerating hard to overtake slower vehicles - which presented as the traction control light flashing madly on the dash along with a bit of wheel spin. But otherwise, she handled all the twisty stuff (in the rain) with confidence inspiring sure-footedness.

Even the missus enjoyed driving it in a spirited manner with it fully loaded.

Love it :biggrin:

dazag
28-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to get a rough idea on cost of a ECU re-flash , I have a new Face Lift RS Wagon TDI coming my way in Sept and after having a look at the power & torque increase from Oettinger website, I think I might have to save a few more dollars for my next trip down to Canberra. 143kw & 420nm is making me drool considering the car in it's stock form is impressive.
Also looking at possibly getting a K&N Typhoon Cold Air induction kit for it, but again it could be my lustful want for Mod'ing that could get me in trouble with the wife.

I'm just looking forward to getting the new beast.

brad
28-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to get a rough idea on cost of a ECU re-flash , .

Anywhere from $750 (Bluefin) -$1800?(Oettinger) depending on the brand. There are also some cheap DIY options for diesels if you are a bit techo minded.

Jake02
29-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Wow, I cannot believe how many Skodas seem to be in Canberra. Is this true? If so, I may have to take 'Vladimir' for a drive down the Hume...

JP_Aircooled_TDi
01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Wow, I cannot believe how many Skodas seem to be in Canberra. Is this true? If so, I may have to take 'Vladimir' for a drive down the Hume...

It is true, they are not so rare here. Almost see a new one every week.

Next time you are in Canberra, drop into CVWC in Belconnen and see Peter. He can help you with any plans you may have for your Octy :biggrin:

Our Octy is still an excellent drive :driver: