PDA

View Full Version : Abs

DubSteve
13-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. My ABS light keeps turning on sometimes when I start the car or even if sometimes I go over a big hump it turns on. Just wondering what could be the cause of the problem. My breaks do hiss when i do break, could that be the cause of the problem???

Tim
13-11-2006, 08:16 AM
try cleaning the abs wheel sensors. get the car on a vag-com it will tell u where the error is coming from

DubSteve
13-11-2006, 08:19 AM
try cleaning the abs wheel sensors. get the car on a vag-com it will tell u where the error is coming from

Hmm anyone got a VAG COM and sorry for sounding like a newbie but how and where abouts do I clean it?

Tim
13-11-2006, 08:27 AM
what area are u. maybe someone local can help u out? I have one but im in melb.

if u take the wheels off u will see behind the hub there is a slotted ring. there is a sensor that detects the movements of that ring which gets full of brake dust. It should be pretty easy to spot once youre in there.

DubSteve
13-11-2006, 09:00 AM
what area are u. maybe someone local can help u out? I have one but im in melb.

if u take the wheels off u will see behind the hub there is a slotted ring. there is a sensor that detects the movements of that ring which gets full of brake dust. It should be pretty easy to spot once youre in there.

Cool thanks I will try that out tonight if I get a chance. Can I just pressure clean it?

Tim
13-11-2006, 09:19 AM
well not being an expert i wouldnt really know. perhaps someone else can advise u on that. But id say "expensive sensor" and "pressure cleaning" maybe mutually exclusive. :P

KI11Z
13-11-2006, 11:14 AM
perhaps just geting a damp soft cloth in on the face of the sensor n rub it a lil bit . . . . . Or you could just pull the plug to the warning light! j:

DubSteve
13-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Or you could just pull the plug to the warning light! j:

Believe me I have already thought about that one lol ;)

wakdog
13-11-2006, 05:06 PM
well my abs does not work at all, tested last night no ABS whatsoever... No light when i start the car and no light at all.....

h100vw
13-11-2006, 05:46 PM
I have VAG-COM and happy to help anyone in Adelaide.

The light should come on with the ignition. After the ECU selftests the light should go out to signify it is OK.

Front wheel sensors are the most common failures. They can be check with an Ohmmeter. The connections are at the strut tops and under the back seat. If you check the resistance of each sensor the chances are one will be wildly different to the others.

The other thing to do if it's not obvious from the resistance check is jack up each wheel and switch the meter to AC volts. Spinning the wheel by hand should produce a small AC voltage that changes frequency as the wheel slows down.

The sensors aren't that pricey TBH. Getting to clean them can be difficult and I don't think a damp cloth is the thing to use. I'd be blasting them with brake cleaner. Generally they are covered in iron filings, which impedes their ability to work.

The brakes will function without the sensors. Not sure on Australia but in the UK no ABS light would be an MOT failure assuming the tester had any brains.
Gavin

lyle-act
14-11-2006, 02:33 PM
yeah, my ABS has never worked afaik.

ABS just gets in the way of my driving 'style' anyway ;)

Bug_racer
16-11-2006, 04:01 PM
ABS is a common failure , usually ECU but also pump .
There is about a 20% chance its gonna be a faulty sensor

DubSteve
16-11-2006, 06:19 PM

So what can do done to get it fixed?

h100vw
16-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Have you seen that many duff ECUs? I haven't heard of any going. I don't work full time on Dubs but they weren't that common failures in the UK.

Certainly sensors were 10 to 1 with pumps.

Gavin

Tim
16-11-2006, 10:23 PM
So what can do done to get it fixed?

id get your car scanned for codes first up. if it picks anything up it may point u in the right direction

Bug_racer
17-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Have you seen that many duff ECUs?

Gavin

Yep , my own car was one of them . Just driving along and light went on . Cant remember the fault it was 3 years ago now .

But yes check for faults , if its not a speed sensor you might as well just pull out the globe cause a new ecu is around $1300 while a new pump is $5k . You wont find any pumps cause there is a guy thats been searching for 8 months for one for his car . The only places that have them want big $$$

WABIT
17-11-2006, 02:20 PM
my mums vr6 has the abs light on for about 2 years, been scanned cleaned sensor everything and still is on, my old folks have given up

wabit

SOHC
17-11-2006, 03:05 PM
=> no abs is best... just keep it simple:D

DubSteve
19-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Yep , my own car was one of them . Just driving along and light went on . Cant remember the fault it was 3 years ago now .

But yes check for faults , if its not a speed sensor you might as well just pull out the globe cause a new ecu is around $1300 while a new pump is $5k . You wont find any pumps cause there is a guy thats been searching for 8 months for one for his car . The only places that have them want big $$$
:o :( :o :( FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK why are they so much.

MK2 GTI
19-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I get the pumps reconditioned for around $700, done about 5 audi a4's and passats now and none of them came back with any problems.