PDA

View Full Version : Snap!

golf3
12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Pulled into my driveway last night, and the car started to shake hardcore, and knocked as it was driven...I thought...ARGH! But lucky it happened when i got home!

One broken front engine mount...I had a spare, so i've already fixed it in time for DOVW, but I don't think its the right one for the 4cyl with 02A gearbox.. So, if anyone has any ideas or any spare ones lying around. I looked at a vr6 one, but its way different to the 8v item, or is that the one i want?

Currently it has 3 bolts holding it there, one on the mount, and the two the hold on the starter, is there meant to be a fourth? Because there is a hole on the gearbox for it...

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4958/snap1ve0.jpg
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4917/snap2yx4.jpg

h100vw
12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a couple floating about if you can get me the number off the broken one I see if it matches mine.

Gavin

Golf Loon
12-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I`ve got one the same as that one that is broken. Dunno about a 4 bolt one.

Bug_racer
12-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I always had doubts about the strength of this part and also the strength of the front engine mount carrier . Cause of the ridiculous torque the VR6 will generate I'll be bolting the engine and box directly to the chassis or subframe without engine mounts . The front frame support will be integrated to the roll cage which in turn will be welded at numerous points along the front beams/chassis .

i think you may need to check all 3 engine mounts to make sure the engine hasnt been rocking causing it to break

:)

Golf Loon
12-11-2006, 09:51 PM
i think you may need to check all 3 engine mounts to make sure the engine hasnt been rocking causing it to break
:)

Amen to that.
You broke it pretty good though Sean :)

DubSteve
13-11-2006, 08:01 AM
SNAP yes indeed. Looks like you clean cut that one WOW!!!

How did it happen? Did you go over a massive pot hole???

My mate said he went over a pot hole and his chassis at the front snapped, his on this forum cant remember what his name is though.