PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge query

peedman
12-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I got a question, are fuel gauges specific for a fuel tank capacity or can any be used. Reason i ask is that i swapped my dash cluster at Matt's place for a Seat Ibiza GTI one i believe but after filling up and driving for 20mins, the gauge shows that ive used a quarter tank already which can be correct. Golf is 55L, Seat is 47L.

Theres no leak in the tank, no strong smell of unburnt petrol so its either my gauge or the sensor. Will test it next time I fill up but just wanted some thoughts.

wakdog
12-11-2006, 12:02 PM
well my VR6 fuel tank seems to be playing some shenanigans....

I let my guage drop til the needle was even with the very bottom mark (0L mark) and then went and put in $20 of fuel (couldnt have been more than 18L) and the guage then tried to tell me that i had 1/2 a tank of fuel (which would require 27.5L to be correct) :rolleyes:. I drive the 3km or so to my house and leave the car for about 20mins, come back and get in the car and it says i only have 1/3 of a tank :confused:. Dunno if that helps you but that is what mine has doen the last few times

peedman
12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Woohoo i think i fixed it by bridging the two battery leads like in the mk4 forum. Try it for u.

bboyskidz
13-11-2006, 07:57 AM
well my VR6 fuel tank seems to be playing some shenanigans....

I let my guage drop til the needle was even with the very bottom mark (0L mark) and then went and put in $20 of fuel (couldnt have been more than 18L) and the guage then tried to tell me that i had 1/2 a tank of fuel (which would require 27.5L to be correct) :rolleyes:. I drive the 3km or so to my house and leave the car for about 20mins, come back and get in the car and it says i only have 1/3 of a tank :confused:. Dunno if that helps you but that is what mine has doen the last few times

i had this problem for the first few weeks. thing is i left the key in the "on" position. everything needs to be off or it wont show the correct amount for at least 20 mins. bit of a newbie thing so i dont want to offend but did you have the key in/on?

Golf Loon
13-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Are you using ***** cheapo petrol or 95 or 98 octane goodness?

If you put 91 octane in it seems to fill up lots but goes down real quick.
DONT use normal unleaded in your golf, use 95 octane or higher and it will drive untold better.

The guage should reflect the senders reading, so shouldnt matter which gagues you use.

bboyskidz
13-11-2006, 12:38 PM
i've only ever used 95 or more. it even says to do so on the petrol door.
it does say something in the manual about the guage playing up if the keys are in though...

wakdog
13-11-2006, 05:04 PM
well i have only ever used 98 octane fuel since i got the car a year ago and i always have the keys in my hand when im filling up so its not the key thing either.....