PDA

View Full Version : Ingnition switch problem

aerohydro
28-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Hello everyone. I have a 95 Cordoba and am getting a bit concerned about my ignition switch. Mechanically it seems fine but it's behaving like the electrical contacts are worn or dirty. Is this likely?

Actually I'm jumping to conclusions here a bit. When I turn the key to the start position sometimes it starts straight away, sometimes there's a slight delay and sometimes I have to keep trying. Could this be a starter motor problem or something of that nature?

I hope someone can give this ignoramus some ideas.

Thanks,

Leon.

Golf Loon
28-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Try lifting the key as you turn it. If that helps, its probably a worn switch.

We change plenty of em at work, let me know if you need.

aerohydro
28-01-2009, 08:03 PM
You're a genius. When I push down on the key I get nothing, lift up and it starts like normal. I suppose it's worn from people hanging big bunches of keys from the ignition. Is swapping the switch fairly straightforward? If so I'll order one from you. I just checked out your website, I'm glad to have found a source of parts.

Thanks.

Golf Loon
28-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks mate, they all get a crack in and dont work properly. Probably is from big bunches of keys like you say. I see all sorts of push button switches etc, but a new switch is the best option. $45 delivered, brand new.

Changeover is same as Mk3 here

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=24487&highlight=ignition+switch

Glad to see more SEAT owners onboard, I love em.

aerohydro
30-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Deal. I'll send you an email through your website.

I've had the Cordoba for about 3 years and I reckon it's great. I talked my dad into getting one too as they are so cheap for what you get. I wish I'd found this forum sooner as the only moderately difficult problems I've had (fuel pump, rubber under injector unit) have been discussed at length here.

Thanks for the help,

Leon.