PDA

View Full Version : seat leon

Glasgowgolf
28-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Im moving from sunny Glasgow to Perth soon but in 2 minds to bring my car, which is a Seat Leon Cupra 1.8 turbo, and from the info on the web i dont think Seats are that popular and more so Leons.

Have seen a few Ibiza's (used to have 1) but a lack of Leons, so my point was is it wise to import it or sell it here and get a VW when i get there or are there parts easy to get and places to service/repair them.

Any answers would be helpful.

Golf Houso
28-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Welcome to the forum GlasgowGolf!

Unfortunately, I do not believe there are any Leons in Australia, or any cars after 99' for that matter.

As for parts, I'm sure you could get by mechanically, but as for body and interior trim it would be nigh on impossible to get locally :frown: That and I doubt any of the discriminating insurers in Australia would cover you, and if they did they would do it at an extreme cost...

h100vw
28-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Mechanically you'll be ok but any kind of body work or trim would have your car off the road.

Welcome to the forum too.

Sunny Glasgow, pfft. Never was any of the times I went!! ;) This is sunny.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS10034.shtml

Cheers

Gavin

Glasgowgolf
29-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Cheers for the advice, guess i will sell it and look for a golf when i arrive, whats the best websites for getting a VW? i fancy getting another mark 11 Gti. Unless you dont sell yours in the next year i would be tempted.

h100vw
29-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Aussie spec MK2 GTIs a pretty pants mate. All 4 door, although you might drop on and find a private import, there are a few about.

If you want a quick one, I'd buy a 16v engine and kit from ebay and stick it in your container, assuming you are bringing one. Then you can drop it in an Aussie GTI.

I did this for evorobin here in Adelaide. The engine was 100 quid and I had everything from under the bonnet plus the fuel pump.

The other thing I might do if I were coming over now, is buy a mk3 16V engine and stuff. Then I'd fit it all into a 1600CL over here. They are the only 3 door mk3s I have seen. I personally prefer the 3 door look of all GTIs.

You can buy MK3 VR6s here though in manual and auto formats. A lot of them are getting tired now though.

Lastly, if you have a year to go you could bring over a Corrado. I reckon it'd be the first in WA.

Best of luck with the move.

Gavin

Golf Loon
29-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Bring the Leon mate, I`ll buy it off you when you get here if you dont want it.

All the Poms move over here and then realize too late that there are bugger all VAG cars over here and you can only bring later ones if you have owned it for a year overseas.

You have so bring it.

Glasgowgolf
30-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Cheers for the advice was looking at Carrado's for sale in the uk and can get a mint 1 for about £2000 and by the sounds of it they sell for way more in Oz so could be some money to be made.
Again can you get insurrance for it and parts?

Cupra
30-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Bring it, BRING IT, BRING IT!!!

I'll buy it!!!

Glasgowgolf
30-01-2009, 09:02 PM
cool might be an option its a 2004 low mileage in silver or might look to trade for a decent mk1 or mk2 Gti

h100vw
30-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Cheers for the advice was looking at Carrado's for sale in the uk and can get a mint 1 for about £2000 and by the sounds of it they sell for way more in Oz so could be some money to be made.
Again can you get insurrance for it and parts?

I don't think anyone has actually sold one here. My mate Nige got offered BIG money for his Storm but having owned it for years he just would n't let it go.

It would be cool to have the Leon here and as a SEAT, i'd have first dibs on it when loon is done. ;) I buy all his Seat cast offs.....

You would have to face facts, that if it got bumped it is realistic to expect it would be written off.

Gavin

Golf Loon
30-01-2009, 09:49 PM
You can get insurance for anything in Oz, especially if it is an enthusiasts car or special import. I have agreed value on my Scirocco 20VT and its not expensive.

Just get agreed value and if it gets smashed, It`ll be a write off, but you`ll get a fat cheque.

I`m totally serious I`ll buy it when you are over it and I know other folk that would too.

Corrado would be a good second one to bring, but you need to own it for a year in your name before you come, so better get one if thats the plan.

Bring it, I left a Scirocco Storm in the UK and always regretted it......

OEM G60
31-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Shannons insurance will be the ones to insure it with mate.

Mine is insured with them, and they've told me if any body parts were needed after a smash they would get them from overseas, same with my windscreen.

It costs me $80 a month fully comp, which is pretty good i reckon.

So i say bring it with you if you really love it, be prepared to pay a fair bit of money over here on import tax etc though.

If you bring a Corrado i'd bring a VR6 if i were you as i think it would sell easier, especially if it has A/C.