PDA

View Full Version : MK5 Speakers

TDIESEL
27-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Anyone had any experience or opinions of Rainbow speakers?

I stumbled across their site http://www.rainbow-audio.de/ whilst looking for replacement speakers for my Mercedes. Turns out their IQ line of speakers are specifically manufactured for certain vehicles and found that the MK5 Golf is one of them. The review seemed pretty good so thought I would share my discovery here.

I've ordered a set of IQ ones for my Merc and will let you all know how they go when they finally arrive.

glidn
28-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Rainbow speakers are very good, i have seen that the make the IQ range where it's a direct replacement for factory gear, really is a plug and play solution.

TDIESEL
28-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Rainbow speakers are very good, i have seen that the make the IQ range where it's a direct replacement for factory gear, really is a plug and play solution.

Just got notification from post office that the IQ speakers I ordered for my Mercedes have arrived and ready to pick up..can't wait to see what difference they make and how easy they are to drop in.:)

TDIESEL
29-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Just got notification from post office that the IQ speakers I ordered for my Mercedes have arrived and ready to pick up..can't wait to see what difference they make and how easy they are to drop in.:)

Speakers are in:biggrin:

Very easy drop in install and difference in sound is amazing. Brilliant clarity and no harshness at all. Very happy with my purchase!!!

glidn
01-02-2009, 01:26 PM
fantastic, great to hear.

HOLEIN1
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
must say the rainbows do have a very refined sound indeed...

the more 'upmarket' brands such as rainbow, dynaudio etc etc are definitley easier to get a excellent sound coming from them with minimal EQ adjustments, however this of course comes with the higher price tag...

good to hear your happy with them, enjoy the music! :)

TDIESEL
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
This is where I got my Rainbow speakers from www.extremeaudio.de This place also has an ebay store but I found their online shop prices cheaper than the ones on ebay (probably due to listing fees etc).
Couldn't find anywhere in OZ to supply the ones I want so had to import them myself. Delivery took about 2 weeks.

glidn
04-02-2009, 08:57 AM
what did the shipping cost you to Aus in Euro?

Just curios, think i might go this way with my new car.

TDIESEL
04-02-2009, 05:15 PM

35 Euro's which works out to be around $70 AUD.

glidn
04-02-2009, 06:37 PM
cheers for that.

Mobile Fidelity
05-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Are you aware that there is a Rainbow distributor in New Zealand, if not, there is... You can Jump into a Paul's Audio (not sure of the store name) and make the enquiry...

Mobile Fidelity
05-02-2009, 09:22 AM
35 Euro's which works out to be around $70 AUD.

May I ask what you paid for in AUD for the speakers including delivery? Bet it was more than we offer them for here...

glidn
09-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Hey Mobile Fidelity,

yeah i do know there is paul's Audio, and indeed i know the Rainbow importer too.

But they do not stock the IQ Series, it's a order in item only, therefore i might as well import it myself.

Thanks for letting me know.

TDIESEL
09-02-2009, 04:40 PM
May I ask what you paid for in AUD for the speakers including delivery? Bet it was more than we offer them for here...
Roughly $420..give or take a few. That was for both front and rears.
You should start adverting on the internet if you can stock or get rainbow speakers. Google rainbow speakers and see how many Australian sites come up.

TDIESEL
12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
How does that price compare to what you could do them for?

Mobile Fidelity
14-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Roughly $420..give or take a few. That was for both front and rears.
You should start adverting on the internet if you can stock or get rainbow speakers. Google rainbow speakers and see how many Australian sites come up.

I know you know how to use Google, but did you click on Australian results or left it on worldwide? We're in the first page for Rainbow German Car Audio.

Mobile Fidelity
14-02-2009, 09:08 AM
How does that price compare to what you could do them for?

We can organise group buys for members who are interested...

TDIESEL
15-02-2009, 11:09 AM
We can organise group buys for members who are interested...
I wasn't asking about a group buy :biggrin:..just how's the price i got compare to what you can do?

$420 delivered to my door for a set of front and rear rainbow IQ series speakers to suit 1993 W124 mercedes.

What's your site by the way? Save us all having to google for it :)

Mobile Fidelity
16-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Ok you paid $420 right? That's 99 Euro and 109 Euro which is 208 Euro, converted to AUD is about $420 (yes we checked the price from the online store you purchased them from, we also informed Rainbow of the transhipper from Germany who hasn't read his/her commercial agreements properly)...

Then when you add the freight which cost you $70 AUD as you've mentioned, this then brings the total to just under $500. We retail the 2 sets for $520 which include, for obvious reasons Australian warranty...

As for website, our details are in our profile...

No we don't sell online as it is against the commercial agreements we have with the manufacturer's. The new website which isn't to far away will be more informative than the current "basic" site...

TDIESEL
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Ok you paid $420 right? That's 99 Euro and 109 Euro which is 208 Euro, converted to AUD is about $420 (yes we checked the price from the online store you purchased them from, we also informed Rainbow of the transhipper from Germany who hasn't read his/her commercial agreements properly)...

Then when you add the freight which cost you $70 AUD as you've mentioned, this then brings the total to just under $500. We retail the 2 sets for $520 which include, for obvious reasons Australian warranty...

As for website, our details are in our profile...

No we don't sell online as it is against the commercial agreements we have with the manufacturer's. The new website which isn't to far away will be more informative than the current "basic" site...

Am I sensing a case of sour apples if you bothered "dobbing in" another retailer, albeit an international one? I mean...really???

It's a shame you can't do online shopping as those that aren't in close proximity will do exactly as I did. The internet is a wonderful marketing tool!!

isaw
23-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Can you let me know what model speakers fit the mkv? and write a little bit about what you think of them.

Have you found any more rattles? do they distort with alot of bass? was install easy? did you have any issues with them?

I'm keen to order a set but am finding it hard to find the right ones...

Greg Roles
23-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Pretty broad questions mate, but if you read page two of this thread, Rainbow do a nice and easy bolt in set, and at the cost of what I paid just for 6.5" fronts which were a modifiication to fit. Rainbow offer the stock 7" size fronts etc, which isn't overly common.

My Golf is amazingly rattle free, but then I did dynamat the doors, and I only have a 8" sub. Any speaker will distort if it is asked to work beyond it's specs, such as below it's ability to reproduce bass. A crossover, in an amp, or from the headunit is a huge help in setting up a distortion free system. Also setting up the gains and input for any amps is a good move, there are some good tips online if you search on google. I followed one from the Bavarian BMW forums.

With 4 x Boston 6.5", a Boston 8" sub properly crossed over, my system sounds amazingly good, and will go plenty loud without any perceivable distortion. I've had several systems, so I'm not just saying this. I'm amazed at how good a smaller system, properly installed can sound.

The quality of the input has an effect as well, and a mp3 from an ipod won't be as good as a commercial CD you buy at the usual $30 odd, except of course things like metallica's latest where they have apparently gone silly with the mixing of pure noise. Remember amps just increase the noise from a poor source.

In the MKV, the single biggest improvement I, and a few other members have found, was a new headunit on the stock speakers. A set like rainbow with dynamat would be next, and then amps, subs etc etc.

The only rattle I found is the external doorhandles, but I can't hear it inside.

isaw
25-03-2009, 09:40 AM
I swaped out my RDC500 for a 300 with mp3 and my sound is considerably worse now. I've removed most of the bass from the headunit but still have alot of distortion/rattles from low freq's. I ahve a feeling the prev owner pumped the bass alot and the stock speakers are pretty much clapped out.

Without spending alot right now and replacing the headunit (I'll get a cheap chinese knockoff one with GPS/mp3/dvd etc soon enough) I'd like to just replace the speakers with the rainbow ones that fit right in. Not worth the issue of fookin around trying to fit other sizes.

And I was speaking specifically about the rainbow speakers, should of made that clear in my post, although thanks for the write up cogdoc,