PDA

View Full Version : Cordoba wont run

griffo
23-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi,

When I start my Cordoba it runs for about 2 seconds then just dies !
I think that its not getting fuel or maybe some type of electrical problem ?
All this just happened , I parked the car went away for awhile then tried to start her up and !!!!!!!
Any ideas on what to check and where to begin ?

Griffo.

h100vw
23-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Immobiliser fault if it has one.

If that's not it then check all the fuses in the fusebox. If they are original VW ones, chuck them and fit some new ones. I had some duff std fuses that caused the rad fans and fuel pump to stop on my Ibiza.

Gavin

griffo
23-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the reply,
where and how do you check the immobilizer ?

Griffo .

Golf Loon
23-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Is the key simply a metal key? Or does it have a plastic piece with a button or an embossed S on it?

What year model cordoba is it?

Do you have another key anywhere?

Its been discussed before here
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=9449&highlight=key+immobilizer

griffo
24-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Its a 97 GLX Cordoba and I have two keys, one key has two buttons & embossed S on it . this was the key that I tried to use and had problems , got the other key out and presto away she went first try.
The two button key does not operate the central locking either.
Griffo.

h100vw
24-01-2009, 02:28 PM
The chip in the non-working key is not being recognised by the car. Hence the other key works. The clue in this one is the running for a second or so, to prove the engine is OK.

Gavin

Cupra
24-01-2009, 05:00 PM
have to file that one away for a rainy day! :biggrin:

Golf Loon
24-01-2009, 05:44 PM
have to file that one away for a rainy day! :biggrin:

Along with a spare key ;)

Glad you had a spare mate, I`d get another coded, in case that one dies.

Cupra
24-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Talking about smart car keys....

One of the guys I fly with just had his Prado key fall apart (which is not uncommon apparently) & the car wouldn't start let alone run for a few seconds. When he put all the bits back together with sticky tape the car would run. Unfortunately he only had one key, the car was 2nd hand from Toyota & the previous owner only surrendered a single key.

Off to Toyota at Windsor for a new key......."that will be $400+ sir :duh:

A quick check on the internet Prado forums....a quick check on ebay.....$20 for a blank prado key which is in 2 pieces for you to insert the electronic bits & he's away!!!

Dealers!!!!!

SeanyQ
24-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Is the key simply a metal key? Or does it have a plastic piece with a button or an embossed S on it?

What year model cordoba is it?

Do you have another key anywhere?

Its been discussed before here
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=9449&highlight=key+immobilizer

For the record, since I got the new key. I have not had one single, tiny little thing go wrong mechanically with the car (touch wood!!).
Considering that was nearly 18 months ago & it's now a 12 year old car. I've been stoked with her!! :biggrin:

SeanyQ
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
For the record, since I got the new key. I have not had one single, tiny little thing go wrong mechanically with the car (touch wood!!).
Considering that was nearly 18 months ago & it's now a 12 year old car. I've been stoked with her!! :biggrin:

Nice jinx!! :brutal: How quicky (& expensively) things change :duh: