PDA

View Full Version : A4 Power Steering failure

benno
23-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi guys,
I'm in a borrowed 1997 A4 1.8T at the moment, because my own car (a '58 beetle) needs new brakes and I haven't actually bought the Golf that I want yet....

Anyway, this bloody Audi just pissed power steering fluid all over the floor just as I got home - it had been driving fine for several hours before hand. About the steering was acting up, so I topped up the PS fluid with something like 800ml of fluid from the servo - probably not Audi spec fluid.

And yesterday it just dumped it's guts on the floor.

I haven't had a close look at the car yet, but it seems to be coming from the right hand side of the engine bay, judging by the drips.

Anyone know what's up?

Cheers
Benno

whiteVR6
23-01-2009, 08:45 AM
thats where your power steering pump is

benno
23-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Are they expensive? How hard are they to fit?

whiteVR6
23-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Is it at the front or back of the engine??

A new one would be about $740

As for fitting it, I dont know coz I've never done one but you can give Seb @ Euro Automotive a call on 0410541322, he'll be able to help you out.

Golf Loon
23-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Its the pipe that runs across the back of the engine bay. If you remove it and take it to pirtek, they will crimp new ends on it for $100 or so ;)

benno
23-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Cheers for that mate, I'll have a look when I get home.

Will the system self prime afterwards?

Jmac
23-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Good call but another thing to check there bud is have a feel at the rack boots and see if they are squishy with fluid. If they are full you need a recon or replacement 2nd hand or the likes, just done one 2 days ago. Also have done MANY of the pipes Loon is talking about. Make sure pirtek keeps the profile exactly right as its an absolute nightmare on Elm st fitting the banjo to the rack if its out a bit:eek:
Cheers
Jmac

Bug_racer
28-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Good call but another thing to check there bud is have a feel at the rack boots and see if they are squishy with fluid. If they are full you need a recon or replacement 2nd hand or the likes, just done one 2 days ago. Also have done MANY of the pipes Loon is talking about. Make sure pirtek keeps the profile exactly right as its an absolute nightmare on Elm st fitting the banjo to the rack if its out a bit:eek:
Cheers
Jmac

I guess its all relative isnt it . Ive only ever changed 1 hose and a few racks but replaced many leaky/noisey pumps