PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Regass

audi80b3
22-01-2009, 09:06 PM
The aircon in my 1988 Audi 80 has slowly deteriorated over the past couple of years and, with the hot weather, I now intend on getting in sorted out.

I got a quote around the $130 mark for a service, just wondering from others experiences whether this price was reasonable? It seemed pretty cheap. I guess in the service they will check the system for leaks as well? As I guess the gas must have escaped through a leak somewhere?

I'm also curious as to whether these older Audis have the newer type of refrigerant, as i've heard some older cars need to be converted.

Any information would be appreciated.

Will.

Jmac
22-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Mate a couple of things there, in general if you are put of gas there is a leak , however if its been over a couple of years then the refrigerant permeates through the hoses, so you might find in actual fact a regas will be all good. Most gas now has dye anyway so if you do have a leak it will be easier to detect. Where are u situated????
Cheers

coby
22-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Mine needs doing too. It worked fine one day, then nothing the next, it doesn't kick in at all. I only got the car in may, noticed it stopped in october. I'm hoping that it has some sort of valve so when the pressure is too low, it doesn't work at all.
Mine uses the old style gas, so I'll have to have it converted.

If you have R12 written on anything, that's the old gas. R134 is what you want.

Jmac
22-01-2009, 10:40 PM
There is a cylcing pressure switch under the dash on the passenger side which screws onto a shrader valve mate, and yes they do fall over.
Cheers
Jmac

audi80b3
23-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I'll have a check what numbers are written on the components.

Yeh mine went slowly, however, I recall seeing small amounts gas coming out of the air vents - it was a grey/white colour or could this be something else? Definately wasn't dust.

I'm located in Melbourne.

Thanks for the replies.