PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel / snorkel

ozvino
29-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Hello all, in my quest for new tyres, I have decided I will keep the best of the old rubbers as a proper spare and purchase a wheel, so that for longer trips , offroading etc. I can sling a proper spare tyre on the roof. Price for a wheel from VW is outrageous, is anyone aware of any alternatives that might be better priced ? ie. a company that makes custom steel rims etc. As we all know there isnt much of an after market for Touaregs in Australia

Needless to so if anyone has a wheel for sale just let me know

Thanks

Dave

bobzed57
29-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Dave

I was lucky to get one from a fellow Tregger ages ago. have you thought about approaching a wheel manufacturer? I seem to recall that matthewf from the other forum of whom we shall not speak, got a mag wheel made that was pretty close to the Canyon, and more than good enough for a spare.

Maybe you could pm him.

Cheers
Bob

Moonan
29-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Also, next time CT is up (and it is down again at the moment), you could also try and pm grafico, he has pimped his R5 with bigger wheels, and may have the others in the shed...
The other option, for both cheaper and wider ranging tyres as well, is to do something with a 16" wheel, ex a T5 Transporter. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that R5 T'regs have matching wheels to the T5. Post a link to this thread on the T5 thread here and see if anyone knows (5 x 120mm pitch for the bolts). I know that R5s with 16" steel wheels are used in Germany for the sort of public service duty that we see Nissan Patrols doing here...

Oli
29-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi mate
Is that 16 inch or.. and is it steel or mag wheel.
A bit more information please.
thanks
Oli
Send me Pm if you want

Moonan
30-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Touareg R5 wheels are 17 inch, bolt pattern 120 x 5. All other Touaregs are 130 x 5. Touaregs come with a space-saver spare as std, hence the request from Ozvino for a spare (most of us want one for touring or off-road use). It is rumoured that T5 wheels will bolt on to an R5.

cheers

Golf Loon
07-04-2007, 09:04 AM
T4 wheels are 5 x 112 and i think T5 are the same

Transporter
10-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Hello all, in my quest for new tyres, I have decided I will keep the best of the old rubbers as a proper spare and purchase a wheel, so that for longer trips , offroading etc. I can sling a proper spare tyre on the roof. Price for a wheel from VW is outrageous, is anyone aware of any alternatives that might be better priced ? ie. a company that makes custom steel rims etc. As we all know there isnt much of an after market for Touaregs in Australia

Needless to so if anyone has a wheel for sale just let me know

Thanks

Dave

T5 rim PCD is 5x120 offset is 55 (8.5J with)
Now something off topic.
I've replaced my original tyres which were Michelin Pilot primacy 235/55/17 and were worn out at 25000km with Hankook brand and is as quaiet or quaiter than original was and has good prosperity to last longer. Didn't change handling at all.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f75/bull-bar-touareg-66565.html

Volksfolks
10-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi, i will have some available for the R5 in a few weeks, they are 5 spoke, will come with tyre at 30% remaining, $220 each wheel and tyre, i have 4 but selling seperate, so you can have first/best choice if you like, thanks Andy

armdlo
12-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi All
I am looking for a spare Touareg wheel to go on the back of my caravan.Is their an alternative that will fit around the calipers etc.Also looking for roof rails and bars for same. Stealers wanted an extra $2K for roof rails.:???:
Greg

Moonan
12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Roof rack system is by Thule, go to any parts place and look up the Thule catalogue, they will have the Touareg bits listed. Even the place we bought a kayak from had them available...
As for spare wheel, beware, there are two sizes. If your Touareg is an R5TDI, you need bolt pattern 5 x 120mm. All others are 5 x 130mm.

cheers,

Treg2
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi Greg,

I have a spare 17" rim for the current Touareg V6 TDi.

The price is $180.00 plus freight(Approx $15).

If your interested PM me.

Treg2

harks11
10-08-2008, 05:44 AM
I have the 2007 TDI and did not get the full size tyre carrier option on the back. However, I always intended to have a full size spare for trips etc.

Should I buy a full VW spare from the dealer or is there a sensible alternative, hopefully at half the price. I thought there may be a steel rim the would fit.

any ideas

Flipper Dog
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello Harks,
most of us without the spare wheel carrier have purchased an extra wheel from 2nd hand buyers, ebay has been very good of late, but check out club touareg http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/wanted-wheel-wheels-v6-tdi-14551.html
there is some discussions at the end of this thread.
You will need to obtain a tyre from somewhere as VW does not supply the same tyres every time???? So it will be a lucky dip if you are able to get a tyre the same as what you have.

There is always the VW spares option but that will be $600 wheel alone.

Ebay has this on currently
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WHEELS-TYRES-17-VW-TOUAREG-PIRELLI-TYRES-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ120291402862QQihZ002QQcategoryZ66479Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Group buys may be a way forward with this one, I am sure if you ask some one will jump on board with you.

Golf Houso
10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I have the 2007 TDI and did not get the full size tyre carrier option on the back. However, I always intended to have a full size spare for trips etc.

Should I buy a full VW spare from the dealer or is there a sensible alternative, hopefully at half the price. I thought there may be a steel rim the would fit.

any ideas

Its a 5x130 wheel, so you can also get wheels from other vehicles that fit such as the Porsche Cayenne, hit up a few wreckers and see if they have any rims. Alot will be incomplete sets of wheels from accidents and the like and you should be able to pick up a rim or two for alot less than a whole set.

Good luck!

robrut
24-09-2008, 04:20 PM
I own a 2005 TDI. At the time of purchase in early 2006, I was not prepared to wait for a factory fitted rear wheel carrier.
I have bitten the bullet, and bought a spare wheel & tyre, which I carry on a roof rack when on trips away.
However, I want now to buy a rear wheel carrier.
VW do not sell them as an accessory. Kaymar does not make one for a Treg.
Any ideas, anyone?
My location is Gold Coast.
Robrut

Transporter
24-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I own a 2005 TDI. At the time of purchase in early 2006, I was not prepared to wait for a factory fitted rear wheel carrier.
I have bitten the bullet, and bought a spare wheel & tyre, which I carry on a roof rack when on trips away.
Any ideas, anyone?
Robrut

Buy it as a spare part with the new tail gate and replace both.

T Rex
25-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Any ideas, anyone?
Robrut

Hi Robrut
When I bought my new V6TDI this year I intentionally bought a spare wheel, not the rear carrier as I felt the inconvenience of moving the carrier to open the rear door would annoying. Also, I don't like the look of the rear carrier. I'm intending to make up a false floor to go over the spare when laid flat. However, seeing you have been carrying a spare around with you, I'm interested in why you would now want a rear carrier? Cheers Geoff

Moonan
26-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Harks,
Be careful that you don't buy the wrong wheel! You have said you have a "TDI", but not which engine... If you have a V6, it is - as Houso says, a 5 x 130 bolt pattern. However, if you have an R5, it is a 5 x 120! T5 Transporter wheels will fit an R5, and so there may actually be a "cheap" steel wheel option - even in 16"...

Robrut & Harks,
You cannot retrofit a genuine spare wheel carrier, it is a major factory job integral with manufacture. There are differences in sub-frame (extension to hinge area for strength), bumper (now houses numberplate and slot for weight-carrying tab at bottom of wheel carrier), tailgate, etc. Also it is integrated in the central locking, has number plate lights mounted on it, display on dash when open etc.

Trex,
As for why anyone would want a carrier, I guess it is personal preference but I actually like the look of the carrier (must be the inner engineer), and felt the inconvenience of driving a long distance on the temporary tyre (and where do you put the flat one when you are fully loaded?) or the inconvenience of a large section of the boot taken up by a potentially muddy tyre or the inconvenience of wrecking my back trying to get a spare on or off the roof or the inconvenience of buying extra fuel and worse handling with a heavy wheel on the roof were worse than the inconvenience of swinging the carrier open to lift the tailgate.
cheers

T Rex
26-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Neil

You are right - it is personal preference. There is no perfect solution. My last 4WD was a Prado and on upward slopes my wife found she could not use the rear door as the weight of the wheel would push the door open quite violently. Also opening the rear door in parking lots can be dicey if another vehicle is close.

At least with either solution we can enjoy our Tregs on the open road without relying on the ridiculous space saver! Cheers.. Geoff

T Rex
04-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I normally just carry my spare wheel on the floor but at times I need the floor space for other objects - such as a dog. So I got to thinking about alternative locations and remembered my old Range Rover had its spare located upright against the nearside rear window.

I tried standing my new spare in that location and although it looked an unlikely fit, it was possible to close the rear hatch without interference as long as the rear cover and cargo barrier are removed. So I have welded myself up a frame which I simply zip tie to the floor location points when I want to carry the spare upright. There is approx 12mm clearance all round.

The pics tell the story. It actually looks quite neat if you put a generic cover over the tyre. BTW this is the new Scorpion ATR in 245/65/17.

Cheers

Geoff

Transporter
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I normally just carry my spare wheel on the floor but at times I need the floor space for other objects - such as a dog. So I got to thinking about alternative locations and remembered my old Range Rover had its spare located upright against the nearside rear window.

I tried standing my new spare in that location and although it looked an unlikely fit, it was possible to close the rear hatch without interference as long as the rear cover and cargo barrier are removed. So I have welded myself up a frame which I simply zip tie to the floor location points when I want to carry the spare upright. There is approx 12mm clearance all round.

The pics tell the story. It actually looks quite neat if you put a generic cover over the tyre. BTW this is the new Scorpion ATR in 245/65/17.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi, Geoff.
It is really nice improvement I saved your pictures to my folder (thank you) and will make that my summer holiday project. It would be nice if you include the measurement.
How would it be on the right side? I mean the rear view visibility.

Once again, thanks.

Moonan
04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Geoff,
What a neat solution - looks great and minimises the floor / load height issues. Keep us posted on the performance of the scorpions.

cheers,

..Neil

T Rex
09-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The attached pic should help. Critical dimensions are the vertical & lateral location of the nut (welded in position) relative to the base as this locates the tyre so there is clearance all round (it rests on the base). You may need to do a trial fit, especially if you have different wheels or tyres.

Holes are drilled through the side of the base to allow zip ties to the cargo tie down points. It is surprisingly secure once the tyre is in place. Make sure you carry something to cut the zip ties or else you cannot access under the rear floor :)

Reverse the posiion of the upright for R/H installation but be aware access to the CD player will be difficult in that location.

I won't be replacing my other four P ZERO tyres with the ATRs until I need to go in the rough stuff (or they wear out) but I'll let you know when that happens.

Cheers

Geoff

Transporter
09-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks Geoff
much appreciated.

Fiona
22-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this site; we purchased a V6 TDI in November and are enjoying driving it very much. We did a 4WD course a couple of weekends ago which was fantastic. It was great to see what we could do in the car. We'd like to purchase a spare tyre to throw in our camper trailer when we go off road but the $600 VW fee turns us off (have read previous posts with the same issue. )

We're in Melbourne; any suggestions as to where we can source a cheapy? (17in standard)

On another issue, does a Touareg snorkel exist in Australia? We got a bit of a scare when two lights came on after a water crossing.
Thanks,
Fiona

Transporter
22-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this site; we purchased a V6 TDI in November and are enjoying driving it very much. We did a 4WD course a couple of weekends ago which was fantastic. It was great to see what we could do in the car. We'd like to purchase a spare tyre to throw in our camper trailer when we go off road but the $600 VW fee turns us off (have read previous posts with the same issue. )

We're in Melbourne; any suggestions as to where we can source a cheapy? (17in standard)

On another issue, does a Touareg snorkel exist in Australia? We got a bit of a scare when two lights came on after a water crossing.
Thanks,
Fiona

I bought a brand new tyre from tyre shop and matching rim from the dealer, yes it was expensive but i know it is faultles and reliable. To my knoledge i don't think there is a snorkel for the treg.
Yeah, and welcome to the forum.

Flipper Dog
27-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks,
Fiona

Hi Fiona,
just keep looking on Ebay and you will see the 17" rims pop up now and then.

Reference lights coming on with your water crossing, which two light were they?

bobzed57
31-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Never seen a snorkel although the question's been asked a million times. I figure just don't go too deep. I'd been interested in what lights came on as well. Never had a problem myself and I've had water over the bonnet, well bow wave anyway :)

blommpau
11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
fiona,
i had a concern with the original spare, before going on holiday i purchased a cheap steel VW rim (under $200) from barloworld in moorabin and got a tyre fitted.
glad i did as i ruined a tyre off road 600km from home, threw the spare on and drive home towing.
when you get the crazy $600 price they are refering to an original mag
also the standard spare is tedious to fit and inflate

mooseman

Moonan
12-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Welcome fiona and mooseman!

fiona,
i had a concern with the original spare, before going on holiday i purchased a cheap steel VW rim (under $200) from barloworld in moorabin and got a tyre fitted.

OK, now you've got me interested...

Mr Moose - what touareg variant do you have? An R5 TDI?
If so, then I can understand your ability to fit a "cheap steel VW rim". What size was it and what tyre did you get fitted?
(I've never heard of a dealer making that option available, although the Touareg 360 project vehicles from Germany were R5's with 16 inch steel rims = supposedly they match the transporter...)
If that is the case (ie you have an R5), then your experience is unlikely to be available to others with V6 or bigger engines as they have bigger brakes and also a different bolt pattern.

However, if you have a V6 etc, with the 130mm bolt pattern, then you did VERY WELL getting a cheap wheel from VW. I don't think anyone else has come across that?!?

Please comment...

Also, Fiona, were the two lights that came on during the water crossing on the centre of the dash past the flip-up storage box? If so, that is not unusual. They will almost always come on during a water crossing telling you that the front parking sensors have got water in them and will not work for a few minutes. Otherwise, what were the lights and we can see if the brains trust here can comment.

cheers,

WEDEL.1
15-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Here is a pic of a snorkel.

Maris

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://imageshack.us)

Flipper Dog
15-02-2009, 03:14 PM
That Touareg may be fitted with a snorkel but those snorkels were a special fitting for the VW Experience 360° world tour. The snorkel looks like a series of angle brackets holding down some piping with an air filter on top….in my view very unprofessional for factory sponsored. Porsche came up with a better looking slim line version for their off road adventures in ABS plastic.

And you will also notice that the vehicle (an R5 TDI) is wearing a set of 16" steel wheels. Available on base model R5’s in Europe because they use them like Landcruisers for public services. The R5 TDI uses smaller brakes and the wheel offset is different to the rest of the range, thus interchangeable with other VW work horses.

Treg2
22-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi All,

If anyone is interested I still have one 17" rim off a V6 Tdi, Just PM me if you want it, the cost is $180 plus shipping.

Treg2

PFJL
24-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I am looking for 5 stud 17" wheel to suit a 2006 V6.
Please provide further details.
Tks

Chumpy
29-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi
I'm also looking for one or 2 spares for my 2008 V6 TDi. I think the current rims are 'Makalu' and would love to get something similar. Do you have photos
Chumpy

Dirty R50
09-07-2009, 03:17 PM
If you get the VW magazine you'll see the Touaregs in the round the world challenge with snorkels. Not very pretty though.

dmm_au
05-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Never seen a snorkel although the question's been asked a million times. I figure just don't go too deep. I'd been interested in what lights came on as well. Never had a problem myself and I've had water over the bonnet, well bow wave anyway :)

I just saw this post. Very sad in the light of your drowned touareg.
We really do need a snorkel, or perhaps I just need to learn how to correctly apply a tarp across the grill.

alex g
15-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Its next on my list, a Snorkel that is, could be a ways off but it will happen, just need to buy the missus another car and its game on.

Twin snorkel me thinks.

V10Touareg
17-07-2016, 04:25 PM
I've bought new wheels and tyres. Keeping one for a spare.
If anyone wants a (kerbed) original for a spare, let me know.
Three original wheels, 275/45/19 with good rubber.