PDA

View Full Version : 12V air compressor in Touareg.

Transporter
20-01-2009, 03:46 PM
How good is the VW supplied air compressor did anyone had to use it?
I'm thinking about replacing it with The Big Red or Blue Tongue unit.

Virgil Tracy
21-01-2009, 07:11 PM

I have never seen one but if plugs into a accessories socket then my guess it is not very good.

I have and old blue toungue that I connect to the battery works well for inflating tyres after a beach run in my prado.

Hoodie
22-01-2009, 06:48 PM

I personally would not rely on it. I brougt a second one just in case.

Transporter
26-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I bought The Big Red - kit in the box. It's very nice unit, quieter than the blue tongue twin I use in my T5. Now I have to fit it in a smaller box, so it fits at the place of original compressor.

bobzed57
31-01-2009, 07:50 AM
I've used the supplied compressor to inflate the space saver and it's OK for that. Not much good for off roading use where you need to inflate 4 tyres in one hit. I bought a super max for that and it works a treat.

Cheers

Bob

steven_preston
07-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I just purchased a 07 Touareg with very low miles. The issue I'm having is a whistle noise you can hear (mostly at night) coming from the right front of the suv. It's been in the shop 3-times and they believe it's the break pad since the noise skips when your step on the gas. Would anyone know what this is and has any one experience the same light whistle noise.

I also had a flat this week and realize that the suv did not have a compressor or hose to use to inflate the tire. It was a hard way to learn what sort of tire I had in the suv. Where would I go an purchase a compressor which would allow me to inflate my tire without spending the $400-$475 the dealer is asking.

Thanks

bobzed57
07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi Steven

I'm surprised you don't have a compressor for the space saver. It should be next to the spare. You could have given VW Assist a yell, they would have come and sorted it. I'd go back to the dealer/seller and ask for the compressor.

Can't help on the whistle sorry.

Bob

Transporter
07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I just purchased a 07 Touareg with very low miles. The issue I'm having is a whistle noise you can hear (mostly at night) coming from the right front of the suv. It's been in the shop 3-times and they believe it's the break pad since the noise skips when your step on the gas. Would anyone know what this is and has any one experience the same light whistle noise.

I also had a flat this week and realize that the suv did not have a compressor or hose to use to inflate the tire. It was a hard way to learn what sort of tire I had in the suv. Where would I go an purchase a compressor which would allow me to inflate my tire without spending the $400-$475 the dealer is asking.

Thanks

You can get The Big Red in the box with long hose for less than that.
Projecta brand air compressor will cost even less than $200.00

http://www.projecta.com.au/cataloguepages/asset_id/4/

T Rex
09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi

I always carry my ARB portable air compressor for inflating tyres on my race/rally cars as well as for outback trips. It is quick and has proved reliable.

Cheers

Geoff

http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-air-compressors/