PDA

View Full Version : Little torque steer concern.

Eddy
09-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Hoyhoy.
May be it's just me, but when accelerating hard with APR on & over rough surface I feel some torque steer twitch. Sometimes I also hear a bang on the firewall, reminds me of the old Cooper-S days [gear box mount] which I had some quick ones.
First heard this when I done the Quarter at Eastern Creek 1/4. I'm worried I've done some sort of damage & don't wan't to say so.

GTIJNR
09-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Hoyhoy.
May be it's just me, but when accelerating hard with APR on & over rough surface I feel some torque steer twitch. Sometimes I also hear a bang on the firewall, reminds me of the old Cooper-S days [gear box mount] which I had some quick ones.
First heard this when I done the Quarter at Eastern Creek 1/4. I'm worried I've done some sort of damage & don't wan't to say so.

What sortta time did u pull ed? Yeah torque steer... its a ageing design chassis. I'm not suprise cos d eng's mounts does feel soft. If there is no weird vibrations n ur car on/off throttle smoths then i guess its ok. I think u Can/May alter the p/s assist on the car, its may help with the torque-steer, but again it the chassis that have overall effect.

Eddy
10-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Hoyhoy.
Best time was a 14.7 @ 150km's. I'm not too worried about the torque steer it's only happened a couple times, like I say it was hard accelerating & rough.

PoloGTi
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Ummm not sure but would suspension help with this or hinder this??? If the chassie is sprung harder and the dampening is up rated is there more of the force being produced by the engine being transferd into the wheels? Or is it being reduced do to less movment?

Eddy
10-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Ummm not sure but would suspension help with this or hinder this??? If the chassie is sprung harder and the dampening is up rated is there more of the force being produced by the engine being transferd into the wheels? Or is it being reduced do to less movment?
Hoyhoy.
It beats me. Just wondering if any of the other Polo GTI driver's have noticed the same as me, if not may be I do have a problem.

shaneth
10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Does the polo have equal length driveshafts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering

Eddy
10-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Does the polo have equal length driveshafts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering
Hoyhoy.
That one I'm not sure of.

DubSteve
11-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Could you take it back to golf and get it fixed under the warranty or is that the same problem across the board?

shaneth
11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Could you take it back to golf Sorry i dont mean to pick but i am assuming your meaning VW. And as it being a problem i am no mechanic but from my experience with front wheel drive cars they will all get a bit of torque steer especially if your hard accelerating etc. But please correct me if im wrong.

Eddy
12-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Sorry i dont mean to pick but i am assuming your meaning VW. And as it being a problem i am no mechanic but from my experience with front wheel drive cars they will all get a bit of torque steer especially if your hard accelerating etc. But please correct me if im wrong.
Hoyhoy.
I think you might have the right conclusion. Like I say, I think it may be me because it only happens on hard & rough.
P.S. With APR this thing accelerates hard.

shaneth
12-11-2006, 11:21 AM
P.S. With APR this thing accelerates hard.

I cant wait to drive one with it.

Timbo
12-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Remember, you only get torque steer once you get traction;) :D

14.7 is pretty good. As a new owner (and also former Cooper S punter....the first time around :o ) my sense is that better damping control might give some t/s relief. But it's early days for me on this car, so I should keep my ears open and my mouth shut:)

Bug_racer
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Play around with the tyre pressures and see if that makes any difference .
I guess coilovers will help , but really you'll need to stiffen the chassis up and get an LSD to try and limit torque steer .

I think I saw you at WSID when I was running some tests on the S3 . I think with my newfound power in the S3 I have gearing issues :( . Might be time for some NOS :)

DubSteve
13-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Play around with the tyre pressures and see if that makes any difference .
I guess coilovers will help , but really you'll need to stiffen the chassis up and get an LSD to try and limit torque steer .

I think I saw you at WSID when I was running some tests on the S3 . I think with my newfound power in the S3 I have gearing issues :( . Might be time for some NOS :)

WOW crazy amounts of power coming from Seb. Doesn't that thing have enough power as it is? How much does it have at the moment Seb if you don't mind me asking?

Eddy
13-11-2006, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Bug_racer]Play around with the tyre pressures and see if that makes any difference .
Hoyhoy.
Just yesterday I swaped the wheels from front to rear & dropped the front pressures from 38lbs to 36lbs, seems better at this time. I changed the wheels around because I thought there might be uneven wear due to the burnouts when doing the 1/4's. Which I'm not doing again with this little girl.

Vieussuex
23-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Seb u should no but isnt torque steer from drive shafts that are different lengths just bad design.

I no a diff will help lol:D.

Oneofthegreats
23-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Not exactly so, as the mini cooper s has equal length drive shafts(driver's side has a driveshaft extension to the C.V. joint) & even in standard form it has a degree of torque steer. Loads more with the JCW kit.
I helped fit a LSD to one along with a smaller blower pulley & ECU upgrade amongst other little bit's & it had heaps of torque steer through the first three gears.

Eddy
24-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Hoyhoy.
Like I say the torque steer is minimumal, & with the grunt the little girl is punching out, I think it is excusable. Thanks Boys.