PDA

View Full Version : Mkvi Tsi

sixfootchoc
18-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey all,

I'm in WA. Was driving through kewdale and passed a holding lot for imported cars, it was a 40+ degree day, ash falling out of the sky from the fires, looked like VW had just taken stock of MKVI cars. I snapped a couple of pics of the golf TSI. Didn't look like a GT variant due to the lack of body kit or inspiring wheels/interior trim. Are VW offering the 1.4TSi in a lower spec car now? Anyway, it looked like ass (IMHO), very boring corporate styling. I was never sure about the Touraeg style tail lights from the promotional pics I had seen. Thought it would look better in the metal, but nay, it had me yawning. Maybe the GTI will get my pulse racing....and my blood pressure as I watch the depreciation on my MY08.

What does everyone else think?

gtimk5
18-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey, nice find and good spotting.
Hardly the sort of style to stand out, it looks very bland...
The taillights are way too big as well.
Andrew :)

LiFers
18-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Are VW offering the 1.4TSi in a lower spec car now? Anyway, it looked like ass (IMHO), very boring corporate styling.

Yeah, MkVI goes on sale March. The 1.6 will be replaced with a 1.4 TSI with Turbo only. There will also be a 1.4 TSI twincharged replacing the 2.0 natrually aspirated. And (hopefully by the end of the year) a 2.0 TSI powering the GTI (GTI-R to follow later). There'll be a slew of brand new common rail diesel.

They've renamed all TFSI and TSI to TSI.

I've already complained about the styling, typically VW conservative. The Iroc looked great, and then that new design guy took over and is in the process of replacing the corporate image with a very horizontal style.

You'll notice that almost every car manufacturer who is renown for sexy faces uses a vertical design language - Alfa, Aston Martin... Audi (I like the Audi exterior design).

idaho
18-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah, MkVI goes on sale March. The 1.6 will be replaced with a 1.4 TSI with Turbo only. There will also be a 1.4 TSI twincharged replacing the 2.0 natrually aspirated.

I got the impression that the the 1.6 was staying as the base model, the turbo only 1.4 TSI was replacing the NA 2.0, and the 1.4 twin charged was remaining (as in current GT Sport).

tinto
18-01-2009, 01:06 PM
looks like a poorly executed scale model of a touareg.
I'm really hoping it will grow on me - I think the performance models will look a bit sharper.

phaeton
18-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Great spotting :D

vw poster
18-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Well spotted!:)

Guest212
18-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Well spotted.

But she sure does look like a bit of a minger from those angles.

Greg Roles
18-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Geezus looks like a Corolla or something....

CatonaPC©
18-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Geezus looks like a Corolla or something....

My first thought was it looked liked the back of a mid-90s Camry. Pretty staid if you ask me. The wheel covers look very cheap.

Oh well . . there goes any idea of buying another Golf in 2010 . . .

faisan
19-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Doesnt look too special but at least the bumpers are painted now.

Also, the current MKV base model Golf is hardley awe inspiring either so it may not be too fair to bag this base model MKVI. The GTI will definitely look nicer.

Golf Houso
19-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Regardless of the way it looks, a little bland IMO it may just be the single most significant golf since the original MKI. With TwinDrive and it's other alternative fuel technologies its going to be an incredibly important model and will likely play a key role in the future direction of VW.

Greg Roles
19-01-2009, 04:49 PM
And if the rumoured sequential turbo diesel comes out, well, it may grow on me all of a sudden!

anarchycamp
20-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Looks very VW...which is why we are all here right? :nana:

I'll be buying a MkVI when it comes to it....

philthy
20-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Couple of more flattering pics of a base model with some wheels and metallic paint.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4128345

I think they look very nice.

tinto
20-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm *really* trying to like it... i am. :P
Wheels do make a big difference, but I think I like the new Polo concept better... or the S1.

I'll have to wait and see what happens with the warmer MK6 models, as I think a standard MK5 looks fairly pedestrian too... but that is the point really.

RhysQ
20-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Couple of more flattering pics of a base model with some wheels and metallic paint.

yeah that one looks better in those pics phil, better than the one i the first post anyway.

IMO, the MkVI Golf has lost sight of the almost 'eccentric' and 'funky' VW flair. I've always loved VW for interesting styling and design that seems to put me in a happy mood, each car produced seems to have it's own personality......THIS DOESN'T!

as mentioned earlier, looks very corporate. yes that may be a good thing for VW's future but it's not a good thing for lovers of that 'different' VW styling, one of the main reasons people get into the dubs.

i'm now hoping like hell that the GT, GTI and GTI-R will pick up the pieces and gain my respect back.

Lima
20-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Nice spotting. :)

Hey all,

I'm in WA. Was driving through kewdale and passed a holding lot for imported cars, it was a 40+ degree day, ash falling out of the sky from the fires, looked like VW had just taken stock of MKVI cars. I snapped a couple of pics of the golf TSI. Didn't look like a GT variant due to the lack of body kit or inspiring wheels/interior trim. Are VW offering the 1.4TSi in a lower spec car now? Anyway, it looked like ass (IMHO), very boring corporate styling. I was never sure about the Touraeg style tail lights from the promotional pics I had seen. Thought it would look better in the metal, but nay, it had me yawning. Maybe the GTI will get my pulse racing....and my blood pressure as I watch the depreciation on my MY08.

What does everyone else think?

I reckon the Mk6 looks pretty good. Like most new models it will date the Mk5 very quickly. There are some aspect of the Mk6 that seem a bit odd now, but give it a few months and they'll be familiar.

Hey, hardly anyone complains about the excessive front overhang on the Mk5. :driver:

CatonaPC©
21-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah, Phil's pics look better. The wheels make a difference. The styling is okay but it seems to have been softened a bit. I still thinik the tail lights are too big.

philthy
21-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Have a look at the red GTI in the gallery on VW UK:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti-vi/

haha.. starting to sound like a salesman :)

I never really liked the rounded lights on the mkV, think they've fixed it on the six. I agree the styling still is very conservative though.

maestro
21-01-2009, 09:16 PM
I actually think first impressions are the real ones you feel about most things. When I had a wrx 99 and the bug eye came out I said to myself thats one ugly car. Whatever spoilers pink badges scoops or blinkers they put on I thought it was one ugly car. Going forward I bought the mk 5 gti because it really appealed to me - I really think the exterior/interior is fantastic. Having a look at the next gen it's not grabbing me. Maybe because it hasnt changed much apart from getting sharper. I think the backs not an improvement and a bit ugly. The front is nice but I dont really fancy the gti grille and I think the grille on the current one is a better layout. I also dont think the current one will date as much as the gen 4 as its not a huge difference in looks. Maybe in real life the mk6 is better than what the pictures show me. But to upgrade for me would be a waste of money just for a new front end - unless it was a totally new shape with a crazy look. Ppl who also are worried about depreciation. Not sure why. No car is an asset. You buy it to enjoy it then eventually you get another one - provided you can afford to. I'd hate to think what ppl who spend 150-200K+ on cars think about depreciation!

Oneofthegreats
21-01-2009, 10:01 PM
The base engines are all 1.4TSI Twin Charged.

There is no turbo only 1.4.

I haven't recieved any detail's on the new GTI engine just yet.

All the diesel's will be common rail

For the record

TSI no longer stand's for Twin Charged either & all the capacity badges will all be removed.

A VW study revealed new owner's & buyer's don't want to see 1.4 on any of there car's & makes them look weak! True story!

TSI is now just a trademark. It has no meaning, just a badge

The badging will just be plain, have 1,2 or 3 red letter's. Basically, the more red, the more power.

POLARBEAR666
21-01-2009, 11:47 PM
The base engines are all 1.4TSI Twin Charged.

TSI no longer stand's for Twin Charged either & all the capacity badges will all be removed.

A VW study revealed new owner's & buyer's don't want to see 1.4 on any of there car's & makes them look weak! True story!

Tell that to the clubsport that tried to cut me off at the lights on an overpass and found that the golf owner had golf balls! I was already in manual shift and just planted that **** as soon as lights went.... I held it pegged and pulled across and he was still a length behind...

and thats when it hit him....... my badge... 1.4 TSI

If only they knew that my I am an oldschool racer from pre-hoon law days.

CatonaPC©
22-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Tell that to the clubsport that tried to cut me off at the lights . .and thats when it hit him....... my badge... 1.4 TSI

Now that I like! Good one.

Retired
22-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I actually really like the majority of the styling, esp the front. The rear lights do look a bit large to me but overall I think it is a much much better looking car than the Mk5, I think I know what ill be trading the Jazz on :)

Lima
22-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I had it confirmed with VW Aus today that the Golf VI will make its Australian debut at the Melbourne motor show.

http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/01/22/golf-vi-to-be-launched-at-melbourne-international-motor-show.html

:driver:

Mrk_Mickey
22-01-2009, 01:05 PM
The rear is the only part I don't like. The front is nice, especially on the GTI models. Stance is good, lines are excellent, rear looks stretched vertically and sucks ass IMO :D

Satanstoenail
25-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Have a look at the red GTI in the gallery on VW UK:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti-vi/

haha.. starting to sound like a salesman :)

I never really liked the rounded lights on the mkV, think they've fixed it on the six. I agree the styling still is very conservative though.

I was a tad worried when I saw the pics of the base model, but the GTI looks well and truly the goods. Can't wait to see one in the flesh.

Blitzen
25-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Yet another excuse to keep my Polo GTI...How boring dose that look...Looks like VW got Nanna to dress you.

16v_kid
25-01-2009, 10:42 PM
me no like this model...

sorry guys...

DaveMack
26-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Some are out and about ... saw one in Bris last week ... not terribly impressed with on-road looks ... mind you ... wasn't a GTI (of course) and, at first, I just thought someone had modded the front end of a std MK V but as I got closer I realised it was actually a MK VI.

Dave

Lima
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM

I had a bit more of a chat (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/02/01/tried-tested-volkswagen-golf-vi-14-tsi.html) to that bloke. :toast:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/VWGolf6readerreview01-1.jpg

SmutsGTI
05-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow hope the GTI look's better the MKV looks more modern to me.

TomBrer
05-02-2009, 08:38 PM
looks like a minivan

Buller_Scott
06-02-2009, 01:39 AM
on that VWUK website, in the "explore" section, the red gti has some pretty flattering photos. All it needs is smaller wheels, say 16inch BBS CH, and it would be pretty nice.

Bland back, though.

I figure i'll just wait a half decade or so until the then release polo is the same size as a golf V, and get that.

WEDEL.1
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I think it looks much better than the Mk V. I have never been a fan of the Mk V looks, and the 6 corrects the stlying wish washiness of the 5.

If I had the money, I'd be waiting a the Dealer for a 2.0 TDI DSG.

Maris

KWICKS
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I had a bit more of a chat (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/02/01/tried-tested-volkswagen-golf-vi-14-tsi.html) to that bloke. :toast:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/02/VWGolf6readerreview01-1.jpg

Hyundai i30?

Splashalot
06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Hyundai i30?

Oi! Back in your box, chocolate!

Interesting interview, Minigolf.

Lima
06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks.

I was hoping he had spent more time in a Mk5 Golf so he could compare them a bit more, but I guess I can do that myself when I see the Mk6 in Melbourne soon. :)