PDA

View Full Version : AVC-9000 Tig install

clip
14-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I've read about 4000 posts about these units in other threads and overall they seem OK and good value, but can't find any ref to a Tiguan install. Has anyone had any experience with fitting them to a Tig?

Thanks for any help.

NZTiguan
14-01-2009, 01:01 PM
I've read about 4000 posts about these units in other threads and overall they seem OK and good value, but can't find any ref to a Tiguan install. Has anyone had any experience with fitting them to a Tig?

Thanks for any help.

Surely if you were going for a "new" Tig you might as well have the RNS510 factory fitted with all the correct bits and pieces rather than retro-fit something else. I've seen retro-fitting disasters on other forums with leaks caused by sun-roof "plumbing" being dislodged, clips broken off panels, speaker failures etc etc etc, may as well just do it right the first time. Different if you've dealing with a second hand vehicle already but I can't see the point with a new one.

I've seen retros being done (swapovers really) to the RCD510 on other forums and they seem to work OK. Check out the info from Rocc in Jamaica on http://www.mytiguan.com/ he changed to the RCD510.

Cheers

clip
14-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks Derek, I hear you, and normally I would, but at the ridiculous price they want for the RNS510 that doesn't have blue tooth, it seemed very poor value - no matter how good they claim the sat nav to be.

The pics I've seen of this model is almost identical to the OEM unit, and is - evidently - plug and play, so no biggie to install, just a straight swap unless you want to install the reversing camera.

But it sounds too good? Although I have read the 60 odd pages found on this forum just dedicated to this product, and it seems OK and will do everything I need.

Of course the other problem is my Tig should be just about on the ship for Aus right about now :banana:

mulga1
18-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Hello Clip
I am thinking along the AVC 9000 route as well. We ordered the RNS510 but it wasn't fitted when the car turned up as well as none of the other options we ordered. Subsequently we have taken another car which was on the water but a different colour and a manual but had no Sat nav. The price for this was $3600 factory installed and $3500 dealer installed but without the reversing camera which I reckon is important. I spoke to Hardings in Brisbane who sell the units to the dealers and they said the reversing camera alone is $1600 plus $3300 for the RNS510 and you still don't have Bluetooth. Just check the aerial connection particularly if you use AM radio as we must out here. I think you need a http://www.advancedice.com.au/product_details.php?number=970769
Regards
Mulga1

clip
18-01-2009, 12:37 PM
We ordered the RNS510 but it wasn't fitted when the car turned up as well as none of the other options we ordered. Subsequently we have taken another car...
Let me get this right... NONE of the options you ordered? So when it arrived it wasn't anything like the car you ordered? Then surely that can't be the car you ordered?

When my dealer phones me and I go in to collect my car, if it's not what I ordered then it won't be my car, surely? Or am I getting confused?

Mate, what did you say when you went in? Or more to the point, what did your dealer say?

Thanks for the link too.

faisan
18-01-2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks for any help.

I cant see how it would be any different for the Tiguan. Taking the dash apart is the only variable here.

Don't forget to have a look at the Waywell unit also. This one has the same button layout as the RNS510 and is cheaper than the AVC9000 too.

http://www.szwaywell.com/prod_dtl.asp?id=489

mulga1
19-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Yes Clip,
They correct VIN turned up but it seems when the dealer punched in the option codes they didn't go into the VW system so we had to go again with the next available closest match. We live 800 kms from the nearest dealer so there were some fairly pointed phone calls.
Re the Satnav I would lean towards the AVC because there is an Aussie dealer whereas the Waywell doesn't. Just my thoughts.
Regards
Mulga1

DJY
09-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Don't forget to have a look at the Waywell unit also. This one has the same button layout as the RNS510 and is cheaper than the AVC9000 too.

http://www.szwaywell.com/prod_dtl.asp?id=489

Anyone seen one of these or compared it to the AVC9000?

Pullstarter
09-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Says it has 3 channel audio output also, that's exactly what I want!! Wonder if it has sub control as one of those??

Sanman
09-05-2009, 06:32 PM
FYI Refer my enquiry with the local AVC9000 units for Tiguan:

Thanks for the enquiry, there are two units we offer that will be suitable for your vehicle.
Briefly the main differences between the two are:

AVC9000
7” LCD Screen
*USB Port
*No Phone book feature
Rear IPOD connection
Cost: 799.00 delivered
Reverse camera Included

AVC9000-1
6.5” LCD Screen
No USB Port (SD card slot instead)
Phone book feature enabled
Better IPOD interface (front connection)
Cost: 850.00 delivered
Camera Optional at 40.00

Both come with
* Sat Nav software and maps (your choice of Tom Tom or IGO8 )
* TV Tuner
* IPOD adaptor cable
* Bluetooth enabled
* Compatibility with your steering wheel controls
* Plug and play wiring loom
* DVD/CD/MP3/MP4/DIVX... player

The AVC9000-1 is certainly the more popular at the moment given its similarity to the VW RNS-510 system and the nicer user interface. Both units are plug and play for your vehicle so no wiring or splicing will be required.

In relation to your reversing sensors both units will not be compatible with this system

Pullstarter
09-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I just had a chat with the waywell guy, the WD6050 model has 2 pairs of rca outputs, subwoofer volume control, uses IGO8 nav software and has 12 month return to base warranty. Sounds like a good unit that I think will do everything I need. I was a bit worried about the AVC9000 only having 1 RCA output and no subwoofer volume control, of course you can't buy this waywell in au which is a bit of a worry for any warranty issues etc. Looks like it will be about $640 AUD shipped.

DJY
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Good info Pullstarter!

I was just having a thought though - as I was reading through all 47 pages of one of the other threads...

you will loose your Optical Parking System if you put a third party unit in yours won't you?

EDIT: Oops you have a 125 coming don't you not the 147!
Sorry mate

Pullstarter
09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
No optical parking for me bro, I can't afford a 147 :frown: LOL

DJY
09-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Neither can I...
but I'm still tempted regardless!

Would limit my satnav options to the official RNS510 after the fact as well!
Double whammy OUCH!

Pullstarter
10-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah that's a big chunk of coin, 147 seats are damn nice though :)

Paragon
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
is the waywell the same as the AVC9000? has anyone tested the unit yet?

Arctra
13-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm interested to know how well this plays with the Park Assist feature. On the RNS510 the display of the vehicle and object positions in relation to the various sensors is great. Anyone know if it'll be the same with this unit?

clip
13-05-2009, 05:40 PM
No sorry, it doesn't. But doesn't matter anyway, because you get a reversing camera.

varsur
18-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone know if these units comes with protection code, In case someone breaks in and takes the unit out, can they use it? Normally if the unit that comes with the car is disconnected from the power and you reconnect it, you need to unlock the unit with the code. So does this unit comes with the same security feature?

Cheers.

clip
18-05-2009, 05:31 PM
not that I'm aware of. At least it has never asked me for one anywhere.

DJY
18-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm interested to know how well this plays with the Park Assist feature. On the RNS510 the display of the vehicle and object positions in relation to the various sensors is great. Anyone know if it'll be the same with this unit?

Park Assist uses the MFD in the middle of the dash... so Park Assist should still work.
The issue would be with Optical Parking Sensors (front and rear sensors visual display) as that DOES use the RCD / RNS 510...

my guess is if you use any head unit apart from the official VW ones - you would loose that functionality.

Only a guess - happy for someone to contradict me.

Sanman
20-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Has anyone opened up the dash of the Tiguan to install this new Radio?
I've seen other threads where the first step is to remove the grille on the top of the Golf/Jetta dash. But the Tiguan seems to have a moulded in tray up there that doean't come out.
Ideas?

NZTiguan
21-05-2009, 06:32 AM
I've seen other threads where the first step is to remove the grille on the top of the Golf/Jetta dash. But the Tiguan seems to have a moulded in tray up there that doean't come out.
Ideas?

if you go onto Vortex there's a "how to" on upgrading to a RCD510 by Rocc from Jamaica. There's also lots of other threads on updates, changes etc to the radio set up.

Cheers

clip
21-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Ideas?
basically it's a 5 minute job:
Firstly, remove the two black plastic bits sitting beside the hazard switch (one is a blank, the other has slots for your credit cards!). I used a knife blade to do this.

You'll then see some screws behind these which allow the surrounding to come off with some gentle persuasion. There are tabs all around it that hold it in place, just work it off carefully from the lower sides. All the air vents and stuff come with it, so just be careful when pulling it out. I left everything connected and just swung it up onto the top of the dash (although I might have disconnected the hazard switch wiring just to get it to swing up?)

When you get this off, you'll see 4 screws holding the existing stereo in. Unscrew these and pull it out! Done.

Just out of interest, the Tig has 2 aerial connections - FM and AM. If you are replacing the head unit, you might want to get the adapter to connect the two together. Otherwise, just make sure you use the FM one.

Sanman
21-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys - it was the credit card holder removal step that I'd missed. I'll give it a try tonight.
EDIT Well, that was easy, 20 minutes from start to end. I still have the GPS antenna loose, as I want to check its best performance before I buried it under the dash. No referring to manuals, just plug everything in where they fitted.

Arctra
08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Can anyone that has this unit answer a question to do with the reversing camera for me? Does the unit automatically flick to the reversing camera when a signal comes through from the rear camera? Or do you have to select it via one of the buttons?

The reason I ask is because I have a camera installed at the moment, but I've powered it from the boot 12V socket as I like the idea of an "always on" rear camera. I'm thinking this might be a problem with the AVC unit though if it automatically switched to rear camera when a signal comes through as I'll never be able to see anything else. I'm reluctant to power the camera from the reversing lights as I do like having the blind spot behind the car in view whilst driving (acts as a secondary rear-view mirror).

Would appreciate any responses.

NZTiguan
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Can anyone that has this unit answer a question to do with the reversing camera for me? Does the unit automatically flick to the reversing camera when a signal comes through from the rear camera? Or do you have to select it via one of the buttons?

The reason I ask is because I have a camera installed at the moment, but I've powered it from the boot 12V socket as I like the idea of an "always on" rear camera. I'm thinking this might be a problem with the AVC unit though if it automatically switched to rear camera when a signal comes through as I'll never be able to see anything else. I'm reluctant to power the camera from the reversing lights as I do like having the blind spot behind the car in view whilst driving (acts as a secondary rear-view mirror).

Would appreciate any responses.

If you DO power it off the reversing lights make sure you do it through a relay (still running the power from the boot socket) , otherwise the Tig's "brain" will start sending out fault messages to mess up your day !!

Cheers

clip
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Does the unit automatically flick to the reversing camera when a signal comes through from the rear camera? Or do you have to select it via one of the buttons?
sorry, don't think you can have it both ways. The unit will switch on automatically as soon as it gets a signal from the camera. Even if the unit is powered off, it will switch itself on and then off again after you disengage reverse. There's no other option for an additional camera input that could be selected from the unit itself.

The only way around it would be to run a separate power switch to the camera that you could operate remotely from the drivers seat. Not hard to do, just a bit of extra wiring. That way, when you flicked it on the unit would switch to rear camera view. Music still continues to play, but you lose all functions (volume etc).

NZTiguan
09-07-2009, 06:36 AM
IF you have it powered somehow off the reversing sensors (assuming you have those and are using a relay as discussed earlier) you could switch it on and off with the sensor switch BUT that won't switch on over something like 15kph.